PDA

View Full Version : Will people go?

stanpapi
01-12-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm watching some things unfold here in the economy. And I noticed that ticket prices went up after they finished last and no one said boo. You know a Labatt's is going to cost $10. And I really don't think they're going to threaten. So, will people go? I mean, it would seem like all these guys are pretty far flung from Detroit's realities and, objectively, I really don't expect much this year. I just don't like the way the team is built, don't see it working in that ballpark. So, if they still blow, will people still go?

Epic89
01-12-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm not buying any tickets; I've got countless better ways to spend my money. If someone calls me up on a nice summer's day however and says "Want to go to the game?", of course I'm not gonna turn that down. No matter how much the Tigers suck, it's still baseball

mark1125
01-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I normally go to about 10 games a year. I may go to 2-3 this year. Their team as is is not fun to watch.

Bondomania
01-12-2009, 11:57 AM
of course people will still go. I will still go, i love the atmosphere of a summer baseball game, regardless of how good or bad the team is. I think they will be competitive this year, just because they don't steal a ton of bases and play great defense doesn't mean they aren't exciting.. we have a team that if healthy and producing at their capabilities can score a ton of runs and a pitching staff that has the capability of being good.. and hell even a little bit of late inning excitement with how poor our BP has the capability of being

RicoSteel
01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
Not if Rodney is closing....No thanks.

RicoSteel
01-12-2009, 03:46 PM
We signed a pitcher from Taiwan today? Fu-Te Ni Found the link on CBS sportsline. Lefty reliever.

stanpapi
01-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah, you know what, the whole deal just doesn't pass the sniff test. It's not that these prices are out of range, just that I think I can do better with that kind of money elsewhere. I go to a whole lot of great music shows in bars over there for five bucks entry and two-dollar PBRs. It's just that I feel kind of dumb paying $10 a beer unless there's naked ladies dancing on stage. So there's that, plus I expect the team to be more boring than they are bad. I mean, the 76 Tigers, they ain't. They're not even the 81 Tigers. Sorry, I just see the building of the team way out of kilter.

Bondomania
01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if beer prices came down this season if attendence is poor... Illitch isn't dumb, and those raises in the prices of beer were prior to this recession that we are currently it.. not that beer prices are the deal breaker. Most of the bars i go to in the metro area i end up with a 25 dollar tab by the end of the night plus a tip.. so i mean it really isn't any different than if i buy a 10 dollar ticket and a beer and a hot dog and maybe something else.. there might be a slight drop off in attendence, i think it will really depend on how good they are this year. If they get off to a good start, the fans of Detroit will support them, like they do with all the sports teams. IF they get off to a poor start and are out of it by the all-star game, look for a lot of empty seats in august and september

stanpapi
01-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Bondo, it isn't just the beer. A guy can't walk in there drinking a bottle of water. There's a ferris wheel, of all things. Races between bagels, coffee cups, and donuts. Hitting machines and pitching games. Guys are worth so much they don't want to dive. Guys getting paid because they make more than other guys. No more real bleachers. Plus, the team is not only bad, they are slow and overpaid as well. Look through all that brassy crap, what do I want to buy here?

I mean, it's okay for the team to be bad. Been some pretty bad years around here, worse than last. But this, as of today, is not even a particularly interesting team.

Sheffies Chef
01-13-2009, 12:13 AM
I will still go. As Bondo said, it's still baseball, and the atmosphere at the CoPa on a nice summers' day or evening is amazing. I personally don't get much at the game. Me and whomever I go with usually go to the Hockeytown Cafe' and get fed there. Then we may buy a drink and a dog at the park, but not much else. Way to expensive anyways. I probably will try the pitching machine, since I'm a pitcher and I will want to gage my velocity lol. It's in my best interests lol. Luck is on my side though. I've been to 6 games in my life and we are 4-2 in those games with losses to NYY in 2004 and MIN last year. And with 2 wins over Boston in 2007, a big win over LAD last year (the day after the "brawl"; Cabby put on a clinic lol; Bonine's debut) and KC last year. So i've got luck. I personally want to see Bondo again. I've seen him once against Boston and he was awesome. I saw Armando against KC last year, and that was who I really wanted to see. I want to see E-Jax this year though.

anyway, I will still go, and people will go.

They built it... we will come.

Shef

mark1125
01-13-2009, 08:38 AM
I will still go. As Bondo said, it's still baseball, and the atmosphere at the CoPa on a nice summers' day or evening is amazing. I personally don't get much at the game. Me and whomever I go with usually go to the Hockeytown Cafe' and get fed there. Then we may buy a drink and a dog at the park, but not much else. Way to expensive anyways. I probably will try the pitching machine, since I'm a pitcher and I will want to gage my velocity lol. It's in my best interests lol. Luck is on my side though. I've been to 6 games in my life and we are 4-2 in those games with losses to NYY in 2004 and MIN last year. And with 2 wins over Boston in 2007, a big win over LAD last year (the day after the "brawl"; Cabby put on a clinic lol; Bonine's debut) and KC last year. So i've got luck. I personally want to see Bondo again. I've seen him once against Boston and he was awesome. I saw Armando against KC last year, and that was who I really wanted to see. I want to see E-Jax this year though.

anyway, I will still go, and people will go.

They built it... we will come.

Shef

To be quite honest, I went to a few Lansing Lugnuts games last year and enjoyed that quite a bit for a fraction of the price. :)

Bondomania
01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
so you guys are telling me that is the tigers are leading the AL central and are the offensive juggernaut they were supposed to be last year, you guys won't go at all??? I seriously doubt that.. if the Tigers make the post-season you guys aren't going to try and get tickets??? that's fine, you enjoy your lansing lugnuts.. I have been to a World Series game at CoPa and nothing can ever match the intensity of that..

mark1125
01-13-2009, 02:51 PM
so you guys are telling me that is the tigers are leading the AL central and are the offensive juggernaut they were supposed to be last year, you guys won't go at all??? I seriously doubt that.. if the Tigers make the post-season you guys aren't going to try and get tickets??? that's fine, you enjoy your lansing lugnuts.. I have been to a World Series game at CoPa and nothing can ever match the intensity of that..

Well......they are a long way from playoff baseball as it stands. Yes, if they were leading and a fun team to watch, I would go more.

As it stands, they are not that good and don't play (to me at least) fun to watch baseball. As a result, I can think of better ways to spend my entertainment dollars. I will still go to a few games, but not to the extent I have the last 3-4 years. They just aren't worth the cash to me at this point.

Sheffies Chef
01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
they are a fun team to watch.

Granderson, Cabrera, Maggs, and Inge are fun to watch.

Mark my words Mark lol... this team will be better. maybe not championship contenders, but a competitive team.

mark1125
01-13-2009, 06:22 PM
they are a fun team to watch.

Granderson, Cabrera, Maggs, and Inge are fun to watch.

Mark my words Mark lol... this team will be better. maybe not championship contenders, but a competitive team.

I have to imagine they will be better. I guess you could call it bandwagon, but I will not shell out more cash until I see a better product. I will still go to some games, but until I see a better product, I will be content watching them on my new x-mas gift (52' tv) with a cold beer and snack.

Bondomania
01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
that isn't a bad way to enjoy the game. I mean i guess to each his own.. i am a die hard fan that loves baseball, loves the summer, and i just overall love the environment of CoPa in the middle of summer. I have seen so many great games there, and you never know when something special could happen... i will continue to go, and i believe as far as the rest of the fans, it will all be based solely on if they win or not. If they put out a winning product, then the fans will support the team. Detroit is a great town for that.. they support their teams

mark1125
01-13-2009, 08:57 PM
that isn't a bad way to enjoy the game. I mean i guess to each his own.. i am a die hard fan that loves baseball, loves the summer, and i just overall love the environment of CoPa in the middle of summer. I have seen so many great games there, and you never know when something special could happen... i will continue to go, and i believe as far as the rest of the fans, it will all be based solely on if they win or not. If they put out a winning product, then the fans will support the team. Detroit is a great town for that.. they support their teams

I will still support them, I will just go to 3-4 games instead of 10-12.