PDA

View Full Version : Juan Cruz

tooch
01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
why dont the tigers make an offer at him for the closer.. he as great stuff

Sheffies Chef
01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Our GM, Dave Dombrowski, is waiting for other closers/relievers to be signed, so that the price drops down on some of these guys.

Dombrowski isn't willing to shell out more than $10 million on a reliever for more than 2 years. So he's waiting for guys' prices to drop so that he can make his kind of deal.

We were at CL Chad Cordero's audition a few days ago, and I believe that if he had a good showing, Dombrowski will be in talks with Cordero and his agent about joining the club.

To answer your question, Cruz has no closing experience, and that's the main player we need, seeing as we've shored up the catching, shortstop, and starting pitching (somewhat, with the addition of Edwin Jackson via trade). So Cruz is probably not Dave's key target, but if his price drops down enough (and he's still around), I could see Dave signing him for a year or two with an option possibly, to either be part of a closer by committee thing, or as a setup guy, which we may also need if Zumaya doesn't progress from his injury well enough.

Hope that answers your question.

Shef

tooch
01-11-2009, 08:36 PM
yeah thats true he has never closed..

JackB
01-11-2009, 09:17 PM
And it will cost the Tiger a draft pick if they sign him as I posted in the Cordero post.

babygranderson
01-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Plus we have Fernando "F-Bomb" Rodney...Drink the Kool-Aid, DRINK IT!!!!

Sheffies Chef
01-12-2009, 09:30 AM
And it will cost the Tiger a draft pick if they sign him as I posted in the Cordero post.

Just a second round pick. our first is protected being in the top 15.

just elaborating.

Bondomania
01-12-2009, 12:00 PM
i really have no problem giving up a second round pick for Cruz..

Sheffies Chef
01-13-2009, 12:15 AM
I'm not against that either Bondo. Cruz is a quality RP with the stuff of a dominant late innings reliever.

tooch
01-13-2009, 09:16 PM
cruz is a type A free agent. isnt type A always first round

mark1125
01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
cruz is a type A free agent. isnt type A always first round

The first 15 picks are protected. Since the Tigers sucked last year, their pick would be in that top 15. As a result, they would get the tigers next pick.

Sam_Quentin
01-17-2009, 12:32 PM
Our GM, Dave Dombrowski, is waiting for other closers/relievers to be signed, so that the price drops down on some of these guys.

Dombrowski isn't willing to shell out more than $10 million on a reliever for more than 2 years. So he's waiting for guys' prices to drop so that he can make his kind of deal.

We were at CL Chad Cordero's audition a few days ago, and I believe that if he had a good showing, Dombrowski will be in talks with Cordero and his agent about joining the club.

To answer your question, Cruz has no closing experience, and that's the main player we need, seeing as we've shored up the catching, shortstop, and starting pitching (somewhat, with the addition of Edwin Jackson via trade). So Cruz is probably not Dave's key target, but if his price drops down enough (and he's still around), I could see Dave signing him for a year or two with an option possibly, to either be part of a closer by committee thing, or as a setup guy, which we may also need if Zumaya doesn't progress from his injury well enough.

Hope that answers your question.

Shef

You cant rely on Zumaya for anything....I dont care if he's supposed to be healthy or not! Im sick and tired of management not making moves because of him. We need a set up guy and a closer regardless of how Zumaya progresses. Thats the way i wish they'd look at it.

Lionsforlife
01-17-2009, 04:52 PM
It sounds like Cruz isn't even on their monitor at all. Thankfully, they are at least talking to Lyon's agent. He has other teams after him, but at least we know we are in discussions.

It sounds like Cruz is more of a dream at this point, although I would like him here. However, I think Lyon could come in and close with Zoom in the seventh and Rodney in the 8th. I could live with that.

Sam_Quentin
01-17-2009, 09:46 PM
I think Lyon is garbage personally. If the Tigers mention anything about Zumaya and Rodney being the 7th/8th inning guys (or worse 8th/9th) i swear im going to flip out! How many years does this crap thinking have to go on and be repeated before they smarten up.

tooch
01-18-2009, 12:35 AM
it said they are lookin at lyon. trust me you dont want him

JackB
01-18-2009, 11:28 AM
They are also looking at Izzy. Hes 36 and has been injured. I think I would rather take my chances with Lyon. he did a nice job last year until a late season slump and he lost his job. He's still better then what we have. might not cost that much as teams have pretty much filled bullpen needs. he and cruz are running out of options. They both may have had offers to set up and want to close. The Tigers could give them that chance.

Sam_Quentin
01-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I say sign Cruz, screw the draft pick. Its not like the NFL where you know what you're getting (most times). 2nd rd baseball picks anything can happen, its not worth holding onto when you can get a much needed guy like Cruz

Bondomania
01-18-2009, 06:49 PM
i agree with you.. its essentially like using our second round pick to get Juan Cruz.. not a bad way to use our second round pick. I don't think Juan Cruz is on the radar though. Of all the closers left on the market though, i would much rather just roll with what we have right now in our pen. Lyon had an ERA of almost 5. Cruz is unprooven as a closer.. although he does appear to have all the talent to close. I hate Chad Cordero, so i would prefer we stay away. I think if Rodney is able to put together a full season of closing, he will be able to save around 30 games. And hell, if he does well and the team falters, then we can deal him at the deadline for mid-level prospect.

mark1125
01-18-2009, 07:19 PM
i agree with you.. its essentially like using our second round pick to get Juan Cruz.. not a bad way to use our second round pick. I don't think Juan Cruz is on the radar though. Of all the closers left on the market though, i would much rather just roll with what we have right now in our pen. Lyon had an ERA of almost 5. Cruz is unprooven as a closer.. although he does appear to have all the talent to close. I hate Chad Cordero, so i would prefer we stay away. I think if Rodney is able to put together a full season of closing, he will be able to save around 30 games. And hell, if he does well and the team falters, then we can deal him at the deadline for mid-level prospect.

I agree with you Bondo. Not much out there that really excites me. Isringhausen? No thanks. I would be OK taking a flyer on Lyon or Cordero only if they came dirt cheap looking for a chance to redeem themselves. Cruz would be intriguing, but as you said, they aren't even looking at him.
As for Rodney, my disdain for him as a player is well known. Heck, if one of the kids has a good spring, I wouldn't mind breaking them in slowly. Most likely, we have an injury plagued, inconsistant season ahead of us with Nando. Maybe give Miner a shot if he doesn't get start.

Sam_Quentin
01-19-2009, 12:19 AM

Regardless though, even being unproven in the closer role, he's still an acquisition that is majorly needed as he's a great bullpen arm. Whether they name him the closer right off the get go or not its a big upgrade to the pen. I'd feel a little more comfortable with Rodney as the closer knowing that we have someone like Cruz who could take over if he tanks (which he more than likely would...) The way it is now, its like Rodney or bust...which is a joke.

Bondomania
01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
i agree.. Rodney is one of the most frustrating players in the majors. A guy with such electric stuff and then to be such a headcase is baffling. I really think this year is a re-tooling year and we are going to go with what we got right now and see if we can give it one more try at world series or bust. But after this year we will have a ton of money coming off the books which would allow us to go out and active in the free agent market and actually get a top tier FA.

Sam_Quentin
01-19-2009, 12:47 AM
i agree.. Rodney is one of the most frustrating players in the majors. A guy with such electric stuff and then to be such a headcase is baffling. I really think this year is a re-tooling year and we are going to go with what we got right now and see if we can give it one more try at world series or bust. But after this year we will have a ton of money coming off the books which would allow us to go out and active in the free agent market and actually get a top tier FA.

It is very frustrating, i honestly do not have a problem with Rodney still being on the team. I know he has good stuff and I hope Knapp can work with him and straighten him out. But its like theyre just counting on him to turn it around and be the guy....i dont get it...at all. He is no way reliable, him actually pitching good should be looked at as a bonus in my eyes. I look at teams like the Phillies last year who go and get Lidge...meanwhile we just sit and do nothing to address the biggest weakness. We just pin all our hopes on call-ups, its pretty irritating to say the least!

Bondomania
01-19-2009, 01:05 AM
but it isn't like we haven't addressed the issue in the draft. There are only so many legit closers out there. We have to develop our own talent, and i am honestly sick of seeing us trade away our best prospects for stop-gap answers. I would much rather draft or sign the next Mariano Rivera then trade for a closer that could be out the door in a year or two.

Yes, We Deliver
01-21-2009, 12:38 PM
In my opinion, Trevor Hoffman was the ideal closer for Detroit. He'd be willing to accept a 1 year deal and could hold over that role until a younger pitcher emerged to take it in 2010. I'm guessing he was out of Detroit's budget, however.

I've always liked Cruz. The question is how much faith Detroit has that they're a contender in 2009 (I personally think they are). If they aren't convinced, they may want to hang on to that draft pick. If they're convinced that getting a closer would be enough to put them over the top, then it'd be worth losing the pick.

Lionsforlife
01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
I really am not sure why Cruz hasn't even been listed as an option. I think that they want someone who has closed games before and that they still have faith in rodney as the 8th inning guy. I for one would love to see us ink both Lyon and Cruz. Then I would be happy with our bullpen.

What I do like is that we got some low key signings (Ni, Rincon) that mean nothing on the surface, but could help us in the bullpen. I also think that if we can stay healthy it will help. Rodney and Zumaya are always injured. Having them a whole year will take pressure off other guys.