PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Penguins at Nashville Predators

SidTheKid
01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
THE FUNDAMENTALS
Pittsburgh Penguins (20-17-4-44) at Nashville Predators (17-19-3-37)

Where: Sommet Center
When: Thursday, January 8 at 8 p.m.
Radio: WXDX Radio, FM 105.9
TV: FSN Pittsburgh, the game will be broadcast in HD, available on Armstrong 179, Atlantic Broadband 782, Citizen 737, Comcast 226/774, DISH 428 and DirecTV 659.
*View FSN's HD Broadcast Schedule here
Season Series: It will be the first meeting between the two teams. The two clubs didn't meet last year and the Penguins haven't played in Nashville since Jan. 15, 2006 (a 5-4 loss).

PENGUINS PROJECTED LINES
Forwards
Kennedy-Crosby-Staal
Satan-Malkin-Sykora
Goligoski-Staal-Cooke
Wallace-Jeffrey-Godard

Defense
Orpik-Whitney
Eaton-Boucher
Scuderi-Letang

Netminder
Fleury

KEYS TO VICTORY
Build Momentum: Pittsburgh can build on its 3-1 victory over Atlanta on Tuesday. The Penguins need a similar effort to carry over to their matchup with Nashville. Despite the team’s recent setbacks, the Penguins talent should be enough to overtake the Predators.

Fast Start: The Predators are currently riding a five-game losing streak. The Penguins can break Nashville’s spirits if they jump out to an early lead. Plus, Nashville ranks second to last in goals scored this season - making any lead the Penguins gain even more difficult for Nashville to overcome.

LOWDOWN ON THE PREDATORS
Nashville became an NHL franchise 11 years ago. From Day 1, the Predators organization chose to build its team through the draft and remain patient while their younger players matured into a playoff-caliber team. That formula has proven successful as Nashville has made the postseason the past four years. Last year, Nashville wrestled away the much-sought after eighth seed but, like the previous three seasons, the Predators were eliminated in the first round.

Nashville opened the season with a major distraction regarding the status of Alexander Radulov. The promising, young forward signed a contract with the Kontinental Hockey League in the offseason despite having one-year left on his NHL contract. Both leagues argued its case to the courts. The drama increased when Radulov tried to rejoin the Predators after the KHL suspended his contract with the issue being unresolved. Nashville gave Radulov a Sept. 1 deadline to notify the team of his intensions to play for the Predators this season. On Sept. 2, Nashville suspended the 22 year old for the entire season without pay.

The Predators are led by Barry Trotz, the only head coach the organization has ever had. He's a no-nonsense coach that preaches defense and accountability. Nashville has been incredibly average this season. The team has hovered around the .500 mark all season. Entering 2009, the Predators were 17-16-1 after finishing around sea level in each month: 5-4-1 in October; 6-6-1 in November; 6-6-1 in December. However, the Predators have been sinking fast lately. Nashville is in the midst of a five-game losing streak and slipped to 14th in the Western Conference - though they are only six points shy of the eighth spot. The Predators are also in the middle of a five-game home stand. Nashville dropped the first three games and will try to salvage something in its remaining contests against Pittsburgh and Chicago.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402158

jzelenda
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Anyone need the big plays posted? I'll be listening off and on again.

SidTheKid
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Anyone need the big plays posted? I'll be listening off and on again.

Not for me. The game isn't on TV tonight for me so I'll be watching the National Championship instead. Thanks though.

ShaunRiching9
01-08-2009, 06:59 PM
thanks jzelenda but im good for tonight ill be watchin it

jzelenda
01-08-2009, 08:09 PM
thanks jzelenda but im good for tonight ill be watchin it

lucky dog.:D

joba2007
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
1-0 after one. Good start; we need to string together some wins.

Thanks for the offer. I'm watching, but these Nashville announcers are getting on my nerves. Wish I got my homeboys(FSN Pitt) feed instead :(

joba2007
01-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Giving up yet another SHG; there is no excuse.

jzelenda
01-08-2009, 11:40 PM
5-3 game over for Pens. 4 unanswered goals and an empty netter.

joba2007
01-08-2009, 11:40 PM
& we lose again. We just stink. Our defensive zone coverage is a joke. Our positional play there is pathetic. EVeryone follows the puck carrier...AAAGGH!

PittBeatWV
01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Well boys - time to get used to the fact that we are a bad hockey team. Unfortunately, I do not believe this team (as currently constructed) can make the playoffs and certainly not advance if we do.

5 on 5 - we stink
PP - we stink
PK - we stink

Please, Ray Shero, do SOMETHING, ANYTHING...

FIRE MIKE YEO!!!

jzelenda
01-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Well boys - time to get used to the fact that we are a bad hockey team. Unfortunately, I do not believe this team (as currently constructed) can make the playoffs and certainly not advance if we do.

5 on 5 - we stink
PP - we stink
PK - we stink

Please, Ray Shero, do SOMETHING, ANYTHING...

FIRE MIKE YEO!!!

Even when it works, it fails. 3-0 Pens at the start. Sykora is heating up, Sid is getting his touch back, Malkin is #1 in the league with scoring. The Penguins are broken. They need the on-ice persons to either compete night in night out, or at least have the overall skill to win at any cost and hang onto a damn lead...

If the TV comentators can point out that every play the Penguins run and most opponents pick them off, why can't their staff see this? They're stale, they're predictable, they're too cutesy-poo, and dammit they don't get shots on goal and get the garabage, sloppy, and just plain fluke goals that believe it or not, win games...

Shero get off your pooper and fix this mess before we miss the playoffs. Man up, admit you bought C+ talent to support an A+ youth core. 18-22 year olds can only do so much. You need to get a leader, a veteran, someone who will walk into the locker room and say "Look kiddies, pull your heads out of your hands, put your pouting lips away, suck it up, and represent the Steel City like a hard working group should or else I'll put this end of my stick where you don't want it, and make you my personal puppets"

Anyone have Joe Pesci's number?:mad:

PittBeatWV
01-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Watching tonight's game - it's just amazing what a total ***** Satan is... he never works at all - not even a little bit. At least Fedotenko will fight for a puck in the corner...

Nicely put, jzelenda...

ShaunRiching9
01-09-2009, 08:26 AM
thsi cant go on shero needs to do something and fast.

bartlett2266
01-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Fire Therrian now!!!!!!!!!

PittBeatWV
01-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Someone should have been fired immediately after the game - either Yeo or Therrien or Satan should have been cut.

I was watching last night and at one point, Malkin is working hard against the boards trying to retain possession of the puck with 2 or 3 guys hounding him. Satan was simply standing by the side waiting for the puck to come loose as opposed to going in and digging for it. He is the softest player I've seen in a long time.

jzelenda
01-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Satan should have been cut.

I just thought of a genius idea that they should have done. In Satan's contract they should have given him 500,000$ up front, and then for every goal he scores he gets 25,000$ and every assist he gets 15,000$. I bet you'd see him bust his hump a ton more if his paycheck depended on it. You could even add in every steal 2,000$, every hit 5,000$ and every plus 3,000$.
And playoff goals go up to 35K, assists 25K etc. So really his paycheck his in his hands, if he wants to earn that 3.5 million he better stop resting on his heels and dig.

His overall paycheck could look like this:
30 regular season goals: 750,000$
40 regular season assists: 600,000$
20 regular season hits: 100,000$
+12 regular season rating: 36,000$
35 steals 70,000$
--------------------------------------
Regular season paycheck 1,556,000$ = Shoulda worked harder buddy...

and in the playoffs:
10 playoff goals: 350,000$
15 playoff assists: 375,000$
5 playoff hits: 25,000$
+4 playoff rating: 12,000$
8 playoff steals: 16,000$
--------------------------------------
Playoff paycheck 778,000$ nice bonus, possible Stanley Cup

Grand total for the Year:
500,000$ Base Pay
1,556,000$ Regular Season Pay
778,000$ Playoff Pay
-------------
2,834,000$ and a Stanley Cup Ring
Playing with Malkin and Crosby = Priceless

SidTheKid
01-09-2009, 06:56 PM
It's become clear Satan does not fit into this team's offense AT ALL. Something needs to be done quickly to the personnel to turn this team around.