PDA

View Full Version : Highschool to NBA

haircanada
01-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Ok guys i want to know why that you guys think that players should be able to go from highschool to NBA and i want atleast 2 reason why you think that

superkegger
01-08-2009, 05:23 PM
what if we think they shouldn't be able to go from highschool to the NBA?

bahama0811
01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
They shouldn't be able to jump from high school to the NBA. Sure there have been a couple of players that have worked out but for the most part its a bad idea.

theuuord
01-08-2009, 05:29 PM

lol, that's what I was thinking.

Missing56&33
01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Name one player that came out of HS and made an instant impact? Right 0... I like the one year of college first rule. This way if a light bulb happen to go off in some super jocks head while in college.....hey what if i dont do well ? what can i fall back on? Maybe this college thing isn't so bad after all and if its meant to be the money will be there later on plus i will know how to invest it

ugottabjoshinme
01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Name one player that came out of HS and made an instant impact? Right 0... I like the one year of college first rule. This way if a light bulb happen to go off in some super jocks head while in college.....hey what if i dont do well ? what can i fall back on? Maybe this college thing isn't so bad after all and if its meant to be the money will be there later on plus i will know how to invest it

ill take lebron james. other than that, the first wave of high schoolers were the most successful. guys like KG, Kobe, and T-Mac. Another impact player was AL Jefferson....but that took a few years

Hawkeye15
01-08-2009, 05:40 PM

LeBron James

While there are exceptions like LeBron, Kobe, KG, or McGrady for example, I am totally down with a kid having to be 1 year removed from high school before they can play in the NBA. I am also down with if a kid commits to a school, and gets an athletic scholarship, they must play 2 years. It will help the college game, and help the NBA evaluate them better. If the kid doesn't want to do that, he can pull a Jennings

superkegger
01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
They shouldn't be able to jump from high school to the NBA. Sure there have been a couple of players that have worked out but for the most part its a bad idea.

well, the majority who made the jump and got drafted actually worked out, it just took some time for most of them.

I just think that a lot of time kids making that jump aren't ready, not only for the basketball, but for lifestyle. I mean college is a big enough change as it is, add in being a sports star at a big collge, and its probably absolute crazy. But getting paid millions to ball, well, a majority of people, let alone 18 and 19 year old kids aren't ready for that. A staggering amount of ex-NBA players have gone bankrupt and broke.

Not that a year of college is going to fix that, but I know personally, I grew a good deal as a person in just my first year of college. :shrug:

Beyond that, from the pure basketball aspect of it, a lot of these kids who did make the jump simply weren't ready to contribute on an NBA level right away. While that can often be the case with rookies, it was more prevalent with quite a few of these highschoolers. And while few teams make a draft pick that immediately turns around their franchise from being bad to being a contender regardless of their status coming into the draft, high schoolers simply took longer to develop, and with teams like the Bulls (as an example) Chandler and Curry, neither really developed in Chicago and not until they were a good 5 into their career did they actually play well.

Now, there is the counter argument that there shouldn't be any reason we should bar a legal adult from his job. Which I can understand, but I also think that if the NBA as a collective organization has allowed the 1 year rule, and they collectively decided that drafting high school kids was as a whole not good for business, then that's legit.

Now, you'll also hear that these kids coming straight outta highschool are then exposed to the best coaching and practicing habits, which is true.

But, the NBA is also about a bottom line and winning. Not that college isn't about winning, but college coaches will be more patient and nurturing with their players than NBA organizations will.

There's a lot of reasons on both sides I agree with, but ultimately, I do think that they should be allowed to make the jump straight out of high school if they are 18.

As a legal adult of 18, you should be able to enter the draft.

I think there needs to be a better combine or talent evaluation period, like what the NFL has, and which I hear the NBA is going towards now, so that guys like Kwame Brown, don't get drafted #1 overall. A more rigorous talent combine will help that. But there is no reason why a legal adult shouldn't be able to enter the draft.

From there, it is up to NBA teams to be the responsible ones and evaluate all parts of the player, not just their basketball skill, but their maturity, ability to handle the life, and so on and so forth.

Hawkeye15
01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
ill take lebron james. other than that, the first wave of high schoolers were the most successful. guys like KG, Kobe, and T-Mac. Another impact player was AL Jefferson....but that took a few years

immediate impact, LeBron only. KG Dwight, and Amare were good right away. Kobe and McGrady were ok, they didn't get a lot of minutes. Jefferson took a couple of years as well, kind of like a Jermaine O'neal.

cardinals1226
01-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I think it should be the player's choice. If the kid wants to go from high school to pros, let him. But if he decides to go to college, he has to go all 4 years. Most of the high school players who have jumped are average players at best with the exception to about 10 of them, mentioned above.

Hellcrooner
01-08-2009, 05:46 PM
No, kids need education in case they are not able to live from basket because an injury or becuse they dont really cut it to the league level.

I also think Ncca should pay a salary to its player, the same salary for everybody, because well they are bringing money to the universitys its fair they get some payback form it, that would eliminate the " i need to feed my family" urge.

and avoid future Jenkings.

superkegger
LeBron James

While there are exceptions like LeBron, Kobe, KG, or McGrady for example, I am totally down with a kid having to be 1 year removed from high school before they can play in the NBA. I am also down with if a kid commits to a school, and gets an athletic scholarship, they must play 2 years. It will help the college game, and help the NBA evaluate them better. If the kid doesn't want to do that, he can pull a Jennings

Kobe and McGrady didn't really have a big impact their first and Tmac not his second year, but thats not really the point...but whatever.

hyp21

The One and done rule is stupid imo. Pretty much just makes the college game a joke. Hard for college coaches imo to build a dynasty of championship basketball now cause every high caliber player you have are prolly going to be rentals.

LeBron James

I like the 2 year idea myself. Cause now instead of high school guys graduating and being busts in the league, we're gonna have College Freshmen bolting to the NBA just to be busts. Or not even drafted and end up being a nobody in Europe playing ball hoping to get into the NBA one day.

ugottabjoshinme
01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
i think it should be like baseball. You can come out after high school if you want. But if you go to college, you need to be there for 3 years. Some kids are just ready to go out of high school, so they should not be penalized. But the one and done is hurting the college game IMO

superkegger
01-08-2009, 05:48 PM
No, kids need education in case they are not able to live from basket because an injury or becuse they dont really cut it to the league level.

I also think Ncca should pay a salary to its player, the same salary for everybody, because well they are bringing money to the universitys its fair they get some payback form it, that would eliminate the " i need to feed my family" urge.

The education thing doesn't fly, at all. A lot of the kids who go to school for one year, how much are they really learning. After ball ends for them, what's the point of them going to class if they're entering the draft? Especially at big basketball schools, I'm not sure how much of an "education" these kids are getting. It's a good ideal, but it's not a legit argument for the kids with the kind of talent that can make the jump

cardinals1226
01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
i think it should be like baseball. You can come out after high school if you want. But if you go to college, you need to be there for 3 years. Some kids are just ready to go out of high school, so they should not be penalized. But the one and done is hurting the college game IMO

Actually, in baseball, you can be drafted as a high schooler, or if you go to college, after your second or fourth year. You have to play at least 2 years of college ball if you play collegiate baseball.

DerekRE_3
01-08-2009, 06:01 PM

Lebron James...

Raps18-19 Champ
01-08-2009, 07:45 PM
NBA should only allow HS player to go to NBA if they are really good, a top 20 and almost an impossible as a bust because if they are a bust, they wouldn't have a real job if they get waive and can't get a new team.

Stern doesn't want player to not have a real job if they get fired

Diego_Le
01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I think they should be allowed to go straight to the NBA. Some of them really need the money so unless the NCAA pays them they should be allowed to go to the NBA cause NCAA making money off there back and they are not getting anything in return and if they get hurt seriously while playing in NCAA they will never get anything out of basketball.

Mane
01-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Reasons why they shouldn't be able to:

Sebastian Telfair, Deshawn Stevenson.

Lakers4ItAll
01-08-2009, 09:14 PM
I think players should have to go to College for 2 years before entering the draft or be atleast 20yrs old

DerekRE_3
01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
If an 18 year old can make the decision to join the Army, he should be able to go play basketball if he wants to and if a team will draft him.

Cavs_Fan24
01-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I'll give you 1 really good reason why they shouldn't... Kwame Brown

DirtyThirty
01-08-2009, 09:48 PM
they should be able to go to the NBA from high school because those who do are so good they only play 1 year in college anyway so its a waste. Yea i understand that you want to get a degree for after the NBA and all but you can do that later and plus the NBA teams that are looking to get him would definately not like that couse the kid could get hurt while in college

FNM BOY
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I think they should be able to go the NBA if they feel they are ready and locked to be a first round/early second round pick.

1. Its their life, no one should be able to make a decision for a young adult.

2. Even if injuried early in the NBA they can always puruse tertiary education lata.
Whereas they may go to college get injured and never see their nba dream.

3. If the NBA professional scouts think they arent good enough then they shouldn't pick them. Obviously they think they are so they do.

4. Where family is concerned. Most high school ballers with first round potential often times come from low class families, and their talent maybe their only chance for providing for their family and providing a better life doing something they love.

5. The reality is the educational system of college is not condusive for everyone's learning ability, so some kids have no interests in that kind of higher learning and will only resort to some trade school or something of that sort anyway to make a living.

FNM BOY
01-08-2009, 09:56 PM
I'll give you 1 really good reason why they shouldn't... Kwame Brown

They should!!

Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Rashard Lewis
Tracy Mcgrady
Al Jefferson
Kevin Garnett
Monta Ellis
Dwight Howard
Louis Willams
JR Smith....i think thats enough to prove your statement is ignorant!!!!

DirtyThirty
01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Wheres Jermaine O"Neal o n your list?

FNM BOY
01-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Wheres Jermaine O"Neal o n your list?

I didnt find it necessary to list them all..just making a point to an ignorant post!

homestarunner93
01-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Even better, I'll give you three reasons:
1. Lebron James
2. Dwight Howard
3. Kobe Bryant

Want more?

C_Mund
01-08-2009, 10:47 PM
I might be wrong, but I think that part of the reason for these regulations isn't just looking out for the player, it's more so looking out for the league. We're talking about an industry that's annually worth billions. Stern didn't put these rules in just so players like Bron and Kobe would have to go to college even though they'd be great either way. It's so his product wouldn't be watered down with too much raw talent with a lack of IQ. He wants players that are old enough to act professionally as adults because they're making millions of dollars, and because their decisions as to how they live their lives dictate huge exchanges of money in the future. College ball is just meant to be a buffer between being a kid and a star, there's supposed to be some kind of maturation process in the middle. I just don't think one year is long enough. I'd say two.
...if you really need the money THAT bad, go play in Europe. You'd make more there as an 18-year-old rook than you would in the L anyway.

jehovah joe
01-08-2009, 10:50 PM
if your 18 you should be able to do what you want...

you can go to war but you cant enter the nba??

if you go to college go to college to get an education.

BkOriginalOne
01-08-2009, 11:24 PM
I agree with Dicky V. If they're 18 they should be able to come out of high school - if they are a Lebron type player. At 18, you're of legal age to make a decision for yourself, you want to work, make a living, start your life.
However, if one goes to college, they have to play there for 3 years....
After a about 3-4 years of the systems intergration, the potential high school players would never come out due to the college studs being created - they would slip way to deep in the draft to choose to make the jump from High School.
But again, if there is a case like, lebron, than that type of player should be able to come out.

DirtyThirty
01-09-2009, 12:07 AM
I didnt find it necessary to list them all..just making a point to an ignorant post!

yea i was jw cause Jermaine has had a more successful career then some of those guys

dirk206
01-09-2009, 12:56 AM
I'd say guys like Shawn Kemp and Moses Malone should be right up there on the list of guys who had a big impact right out of the gate. lot of people forget these 2 guys came straight out of high school as well.

SteveNash
01-09-2009, 01:24 AM
They should allow it, I'd say go as low as 16 years old.

I like it because it rewards teams that do their homework instead of handing ****** teams good players and just runing their careers.

And because the NCAA is a corrupt organization that prays on kids. At least the NBA pays it's players playing for them.

Vinny642
01-09-2009, 01:31 AM
I got a reason that they should come outta HS, they don't have to risk theirselves in college, but I think they should go to college, for more experience, also so they can have a back up career incase NBA doesn't go through

S.J.Basketball
01-09-2009, 03:28 AM

LoL...okayy......

homestarunner93
01-09-2009, 09:36 AM

The NCAA does pay a salary to its players--its called a full scholarship. They get to go to school FOR FREE, a process that costs a lot of people thousands of dollars. Don't comment on the American education system if you don't know what you're talking about.

king4day
01-09-2009, 09:56 AM

lol awesome :D

I don't think they should be able to. Let them grow up first.

brandonwarne52
01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
2 reasons?

Gerald Green
Kwame Brown
Ricky Sanchez

I guess that's 3?

JJ81
01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
I dont think they should.

kbaxter34
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
They should!!

Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Rashard Lewis
Tracy Mcgrady
Al Jefferson
Kevin Garnett
Monta Ellis
Dwight Howard
Louis Willams
JR Smith....i think thats enough to prove your statement is ignorant!!!!

They shouldn't

Martell Webster
Gerald Green
Ricky Sanchez
Robert Swift
Sebastian Telfair
Dorell Wright
Ndudi Ebi
James Lang
Kwame Brown
DeSagana Diop
Ousmane Cisse
Darius Miles
DeShawn Stevenson
Jonathan Bender
Leon Smith
Korleone Young
Travis Outlaw....i think thats enough to prove your statement is ignorant!!!!

mlisica19
01-09-2009, 11:13 AM
whose the idiot who said there hasnt been one player who made immediate impact in the league from HS to Pros... James? Kobe? Howard? Garnett?... BUTTTTT i feel they should go for at least 1 year of college. You learn a whole lot in just one full year of college, like what you really want in life... ANDDDDDDDD you get a whole lot better playing the college level.

SO i believe one year of college is fine, but Dont ever say no one ever has done anythin

Hellcrooner
01-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Oh well if im not istaken you can get americna university for free too if you are wise enough and get enough a+ in your Hig School, ande yeah the money comes from the funds that people pay thanks to tha athletes .

But that does not feed the parents of the Student, thats why so many A+ studentes that are granted free acess to teh university still get a work at Mcdonalds or Burguer King.

Ncaa teams do a LOT of money, just pay the kids some standar salary and that will be alright.

And of course i woudl demmand at least 2 complete seasons before entering the Nba.

kbaxter34
01-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Oh well if im not istaken you can get americna university for free too if you are wise enough and get enough a+ in your Hig School, ande yeah the money comes from the funds that people pay thanks to tha athletes .

But that does not feed the parents of the Student, thats why so many A+ studentes that are granted free acess to teh university still get a work at Mcdonalds or Burguer King.

Ncaa teams do a LOT of money, just pay the kids some standar salary and that will be alright.

And of course i woudl demmand at least 2 complete seasons before entering the Nba.

The majority of Universities do not make money off of their athletics. You are only talking about a handfull of athletic programs.

College athletic budgets are bulging but their profits are
slim to none (http://www.uoneuro.uoregon.edu/~tublitz/COIA/News%20of%20interest/College%20athletics%20budgets%20are%20bulging%20bu t%20their%20profits%20are%20slm%20to%20none%20-%20Sports%20Business%20Journal%2018%20June%2007.pd f)

GregOden#1
01-09-2009, 11:52 AM

He's trying to get us to do his homework for him. And it looks like he succeeded.

SteveNash
01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
The majority of Universities do not make money off of their athletics. You are only talking about a handfull of athletic programs.

College athletic budgets are bulging but their profits are
slim to none (http://www.uoneuro.uoregon.edu/~tublitz/COIA/News%20of%20interest/College%20athletics%20budgets%20are%20bulging%20bu t%20their%20profits%20are%20slm%20to%20none%20-%20Sports%20Business%20Journal%2018%20June%2007.pd f)

You're comparing an athletic department to basketball. Yeah it's hard to make money when your supporting crappy sports that no one cars about.

rhymeratic
01-09-2009, 08:50 PM
They really should adopt baseball rules.

chicagowhitesox
01-09-2009, 10:09 PM
yeah they should it's a personal choice. you shouldn't be able to prevent someone from making money and supporting their family.

td0tsfinest
01-09-2009, 11:29 PM
I don't think they should reinstate that rule. Either go to college or go overseas, it makes better basketball IMO. Sure the best players are straight from high school; Lebron, Kobe, KG but there are a lot of other players who haven't done well and could have really benefited going to college, ie Gerald Green and Sebastian Telfair.

kbaxter34
01-10-2009, 11:16 AM
yeah they should it's a personal choice. you shouldn't be able to prevent someone from making money and supporting their family.

How are they preventing someone from making money and supporting their family. Are you tellin me that out of the millions of jobs out there in this world that these individuals only can get one job, professional basketball player in the NBA. Thats BS. Certain jobs have certain requirements that you have to have to get the job; HS diploma, college degree, PHD, certifications, prior experience, 1 year of college. There are thousands of other basketball leagues in this world. If a individual cant get into the NBA, find another job.

Playing in the NBA is a privilege and a gift, not a right. Only .14% of the world population are millionaires. Should the other 99.86% play in the NBA because they are not "making money and supporting their family"

FNM BOY
01-10-2009, 02:16 PM
They shouldn't

Martell Webster
Gerald Green
Ricky Sanchez
Robert Swift
Sebastian Telfair
Dorell Wright
Ndudi Ebi
James Lang
Kwame Brown
DeSagana Diop
Ousmane Cisse
Darius Miles
DeShawn Stevenson
Jonathan Bender
Leon Smith
Korleone Young
Travis Outlaw....i think thats enough to prove your statement is ignorant!!!!

Thats such a reflection of donkey thoughts...so how then do you explain those who went (or go) to college and still dont amount to cow dung in the NBA???? Thats life...some fail some achieve....but it shouldnt be up to us to determine that...whas the point of going to college for one year and then leaving???? anyway u have your views and its quite obvious how you think.

SFloridaSports
01-10-2009, 03:04 PM
there should be a committee to decide whether the player will be a 1st round pick, and then and only then will they be allowed to go.

thats what i heard from somewhere (cant remember what source)

lakers4sho
01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I think they should just have a choice. Why the hell would we care if they turn out to be busts?? Sucks for them, they should've made a better decision...

kbaxter34
01-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I think they should just have a choice. Why the hell would we care if they turn out to be busts?? Sucks for them, they should've made a better decision...

Because it waters down the NBA and hurts the quality of the product on the court

kbaxter34
01-10-2009, 03:19 PM
Thats such a reflection of donkey thoughts...so how then do you explain those who went (or go) to college and still dont amount to cow dung in the NBA????

You've got to be kidding me. You can't compare 44 high schooler's drafted to thousands of college players drafted. There tends to be more "cow dung" when the ratio of college players to high school players drafted is around 80 to 1.

whas the point of going to college for one year and then leaving???? anyway u have your views and its quite obvious how you think.

There is no point. It should be more like 3 years.

If the NBA would use the NBDL as a true developmental league and allow teams to send players down to the NBDL to develop without fearing that they will be signed by another team, I would be all for allowing high schoolers to be drafted. There has only been a few high school players that have made any impact in the first few years. The rest need time to develop, ether in college or the D league.

SFloridaSports
01-10-2009, 03:23 PM
i think everyone should have to go 2 years in college

lakers4sho
01-10-2009, 03:26 PM
It's called not playing them and then not resigning them for a new contract.