PDA

View Full Version : Pens, Staal Agree on Four-Year Contract

PittBeatWV
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Penguins, Jordan Staal Agree to Terms on New Four-Year Contract
Pittsburgh Penguins Jan 8, 2009, 11:46 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins have agreed to terms with center Jordan Staal on a new four-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President and General Manager Ray Shero.

The new contract goes into effect at the start of the 2009-10 season and will run through 2012-13. Staal, 20, will play the remainder of this season under the terms of his entry-level contract. He has played 204 games with the Penguins over three NHL seasons, scoring 52 goals and 39 assists for 91 points, along with 98 penalty minutes

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound native of Thunder Bay, Ontario scored 29 goals as an 18-year-old rookie in 2006-07 and finished second to teammate Evgeni Malkin for the Calder Trophy as NHL rookie of the year.

This season, Staal has 11 goals and 10 assists for 21 points in 41 games. He also became the youngest player in NHL history to play his 200th career game. Staal was the Penguins' first-round pick, second overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

PittBeatWV
01-08-2009, 01:15 PM
TSN.ca has the deal at 4 years, $16 million. He will complete this season under his current contract.

$4 million is a TON of money for a guy that is on pace to score 40-50 points this season. Personally, I think the deal was done in mid-season to give him more trade value. We'll see...

jzelenda
01-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Whoa. That's a ton for a guy who was expected to work the boards, screen the goalie, and be an offensive terror as well as a strong defensive player... only he ended up centering the third line and is a streaky scorer like Satan...

I can see how that'd increase his trade value, and his potential alone has shown him to be a fantastic player at the young age of 20, BUT how long until he grows into the stud the Penguins apparently seem to be dreaming he could be?

They have better added in his contract "Start producing ASAP or else"

Maybe he should give winger another go, and I don't mean the crappy rock band...

PittBeatWV
01-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Maybe he should give winger another go, and I don't mean the crappy rock band...

LOL!!! :laugh:

jmiller26
01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Way too much money for a very overrated player.

B2theRY
01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
i'd take him in toronto...

SidTheKid
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Great day for Jordon Staal...

It's been a good day for Jordan Staal. First, he signed a new four-year contract extension with the Penguins that will keep him in Pittsburgh through the 2012-13 season. Then, he learned that he will be moved to the top line for the Penguins' matchup with the Nashville Predators at Sommet Center at 8 p.m.

Staal is expected to play right wing alongside Sidney Crosby and Tyler Kennedy. The trio had a brief union at the end of Pittsburgh's 3-1 victory over Atlanta on Tuesday.

Evgeni Malkin will center the second line with Miroslav Satan and Petr Sykora. Maxime Talbot will handle the third-line duties with Matt Cooke and Alex Goligoski. Tim Wallace, Dustin Jeffrey and Eric Godard will comprise the fourth line.

The defensive pairings will be: Brooks Orpik-Ryan Whitney; Rob Scuderi-Kris Letang; Mark Eaton-Philippe Boucher. Hal Gill will be a healthy scratch for the third consecutive game.

Marc-Andre Fleury will make his fourth straight start in goal.

Pascal Dupuis and Ruslan Fedotenko, both suffered undisclosed injuries Jan. 6 against Atlanta, will not play.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=402886

jzelenda
01-08-2009, 06:53 PM
i'd take him in toronto...

but who or what would Toronto have that would be worth that kind of money? The zamboni including the driver and back-up zamboni and driver?...

Sorry that was too fun to ignore...

Maybe if they sent Antropov, Ponikarovsky, and forced Curtis Joesph to get a different haircut, I'd consider it...

http://cdn.nhl.com/mapleleafs/photos/mugs/8448382.jpg
CuJo's Badassss Hair

ShaunRiching9
01-08-2009, 06:57 PM
i tihk he got overpaid 4mil a season is ludacris unless he starts producing then it will be a bargain

nstachowski
01-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Great signing!

joba2007
01-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Good deal to lock up Staal. Staal's value will evolve/be exposed over time, mark my words. You can't expect him to put up the offense in the roles he often is asked to play. & don't forget his '08 playoff contribution.

jmiller26
01-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I'd move him for toronto's first round pick.

PittBeatWV
01-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I'd move him for toronto's first round pick.

Nope, they only way they trade him is bring in premier winger for Sid.

jzelenda
01-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Nope, they only way they trade him is bring in premier winger for Sid.

Or three of Satan's siblings...
I question the moves as of late, especially the offseason, the pursuit of Hossa, who was just a big tease instead of guys that we could actually use...

They should try to trade for all the Staal brothers and monopolize them.

PittBeatWV
01-09-2009, 11:36 PM
from what I heard Sid say in the offseason - I really think they thought they had Hossa locked up before he bailed for Detroit. Honestly, he is a free agent again after this season.... you never know... he could be back if they don't make a deal this season, unless he burned too many bridges.