PDA

View Full Version : Those Sneaky Little Blazers!

FlawlessKB24
01-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Until now, Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard had a secret it appears most of the NBA hadn’t taken the time to discover for itself: Darius Miles is on the brink of blowing up the Blazers’ salary-cap space.

Most of the NBA believed Miles still was eight regular-season games away from devastating the Blazers salary cap, but Yahoo! Sports learned on Wednesday that Miles is just two games away.

Teams had been under the impression that the league’s collective bargaining agreement demanded that Miles play 10 regular-season or postseason games for the $18 million – which is split evenly between this and next season – to return to the Blazers’ payroll.

Apparently, no team had called the league for clarification on the rule that states the season is constituted by the “first day of training camp and ending immediately after the last game of the NBA Finals.”
The league office confirmed to Yahoo! Sports that the six preseason games that Miles played for the Boston Celtics counts toward the 10. Before the Memphis Grizzlies waived him on Tuesday night to avoid guaranteeing his contract for the rest of the season, Miles played two regular-season games that pushed him to eight total.
-Source (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtLPIYi6bc5uRC3JjURyCTC8vLYF?slug=aw-milesblazers010709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
LMAO. I hope this bites those sneaky Blazers in the butt. I think an Eastern Conference exec. put it best, "Someone is going to scoop him up and play him those two games now," one Eastern Conference executive said when told the news on Wednesday night. "Portland is screwed."

innovator
01-08-2009, 04:15 AM
nice i was just talking about miles a while ago with my friend about the blazers paying him

Hellcrooner
01-08-2009, 04:22 AM
Big win by them tonight. Im glad aldrige has been able to prove my theory that he MUST be the 1st option.

Now if the want to contend RIGHT NOW they should trade either Roy or a Package of Sergio, Rudy and Lafrentz expiring for some serious upgrade at PG Blak, Sergio and Bayless SUCK big balls and are holding them back.

BlondeBomber41
01-08-2009, 04:23 AM
They should have to pay him. Obviously he is still healthy enough to play, so he shouldnt be considering medically retired or whatever the term is.

FlawlessKB24
01-08-2009, 04:26 AM
Big win by them tonight. Im glad aldrige has been able to prove my theory that he MUST be the 1st option.

Now if the want to contend RIGHT NOW they should trade either Roy or a Package of Sergio, Rudy and Lafrentz expiring for some serious upgrade at PG Blak, Sergio and Bayless SUCK big balls and are holding them back.

ok?

pmmr2113
01-08-2009, 04:33 AM
how does bayless suck if he doesn't get any playing time?

Giaps
01-08-2009, 04:41 AM

Wow. Put down the vodka.

Kyle N.
01-08-2009, 04:44 AM

Why would you trade your best player who is young and kicks ***? And I agree with pmmr2113. How can you say Bayless sucks if he's a rookie and hasn't had nearly enough play time to even start to prove himself? I think Bayless is going to be sick and I wanted the Kings to get him.

AccUrSeD
01-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Don't listen to Hellcrooner, everything that comes out of his mouth is ********, he holds a grudge against the blazers because he thinks Nate McMillan is racist..

Big Quett
01-08-2009, 06:23 AM
Until now, Portland Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard had a secret it appears most of the NBA hadnít taken the time to discover for itself: Darius Miles is on the brink of blowing up the Blazersí salary-cap space.

Most of the NBA believed Miles still was eight regular-season games away from devastating the Blazersí salary cap, but Yahoo! Sports learned on Wednesday that Miles is just two games away.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aid6ehdkihPgVm5mNe9IRLO8vLYF?slug=aw-milesblazers010709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

S.J.Basketball
01-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Don't listen to Hellcrooner, everything that comes out of his mouth is ********, he holds a grudge against the blazers because he thinks Nate McMillan is racist..

Hellcrooner also claimed he was disappointed @ Roy for scoring 52 points cuz he didn't think he'd turn into "one of those players"....I mean seriously? Wtf?

blackjack_119
01-08-2009, 08:32 AM

True- Anyone that holds back a Spanish player back is a detriment to his respective team, in Hellcrooner's eyes. If Sergio Rodriguez was the backup in New Orleans, he would argue that "if the Hornets want to succeed they should trade Chris Paul..." so that his beloved Spaniards could all start in the NBA.

LakerzDQ
01-08-2009, 08:50 AM
oh come on. I hope Mitch and Buss sees this, and plays Miles for 2 games.

J-Relo
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
how does bayless suck if he doesn't get any playing time?

not getting minutes = being not worth them

blackjack_119
01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
not getting minutes = being not worth them

Or not getting minutes = Nate McMillan not wanting 3 rookies in his starting lineup and 5 rookies in the rotation on a playoff contending team. Seriously... would you want to integrate Batum, Oden and Bayless into the starting lineup all at once? That's is why Blake is starting over Bayless. The reason Sergio is the backup right now is because he has played with Rudy Fernandez for years and they are really good together on the court. The also needs a distributor at PG on the bench whereas the starting PG can be a shooter since Roy runs the offense.

For a player not being worth the minutes, he certainly played well against Detroit today.

Tblaze
01-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Someone will probably screw us over right now but ohh well, we'll just have capspace in 2010 instead of 2009...

and bayless played very well last night, saying he's a scrub is pathetic seeing he's just a rookie being limited to a small amount of minutes.

LD V2.0
01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Haha, if I'm the Blazers GM right now I'm sweating bullet.Somebody out there is going to piss in their cornflakes by signing Miles.

Someone will probably screw us over right now but ohh well, we'll just have capspace in 2010 instead of 2009...

and bayless played very well last night, saying he's a scrub is pathetic seeing he's just a rookie being limited to a small amount of minutes.

I don't think the Blazers are worried about the free agency period of '09, they have deep, young team. This is more about luxury tax. For every dollar they're over the tax threshold they have to match with another dollar of luxury tax. So, if they're 5 million over the tax threshold they must pay ANOTHER 5 million to the league.

DitchDat
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
just a matter of time before he gets picked up for two games

JJ81
01-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Surely he could help OKL?

blackjack_119
01-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't think the Blazers are worried about the free agency period of '09, they have deep, young team. This is more about luxury tax. For every dollar they're over the tax threshold they have to match with another dollar of luxury tax. So, if they're 5 million over the tax threshold they must pay ANOTHER 5 million to the league.

Umm... with all due respect, no. The last thing Portland is worried about is the luxury tax. Paul Allen can afford the tax. that $5M represents .025% of his wealth.

To put it into numbers that are exactly the same but on a lesser scale, it would be like taking someone who has made $100,000/yr for 30yrs and fining him $750. The fine may be annoying, but your BMW payment that month costs more than the fine.

JordansBulls
01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
What team would want to screw up Portland though?

Maybe the Bulls like in 1984 or for them getting Aldridge and Roy while the Bulls got Tyrus.

I think the Lakers would do it as well.

Really any team out west should pick the guy up to prevent and make it much tougher for the Blazers to be great.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/blazers.jsp

Why is Francis on the Blazers salary?

However from Hoopshype it shows Miles contract at $9 million.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/portland.htm

bogmon
01-08-2009, 11:53 AM

Hellcrooner, you need to watch a couple of Blazer games before you make these crazy statements!

1. Roy is the leader of that team...he's iceman in the clutch and he is one of the most natural ballers in the game today.

2. Blake has become a very good 3 point shooter

3. Bayless just lifted the Blazers to a win over the Pistons with his energy and his toughness. He is just getting his confidence as a pro and Nate is starting to get him minutes.
The one word that all his teammates use to describe him is tough, and he demonstrated that on Wed. night.

4.The Blazers really aren't built to win it this year ....and that's fine. They are putting together the pieces to be a force for several years to come.
They need a stud point guard, but they are not gonna make that move this season.

DocUSN
01-08-2009, 12:52 PM
They should have to pay him. Obviously he is still healthy enough to play, so he shouldnt be considering medically retired or whatever the term is.

They are paying him, people get confused by this situation, but Miles is still being paid in full by the blazers, however they recieved a medical salary cap exception from the league so its off the books, he is still getting his checks it just dosnt count on their cap unless he plays ten games.

ttam68
01-08-2009, 01:09 PM
This is kind of bs bc a league doctor made the judgment that they deserved a medical exception, not just the Blazers. And everyone knows that the primary reason a team picks up Miles now is spite, he's been cut by 3 teams.

blackjack_119
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Maybe the Bulls like in 1984 or for them getting Aldridge and Roy while the Bulls got Tyrus.

Really any team out west should pick the guy up to prevent and make it much tougher for the Blazers to be great.

When Portland traded Zach Randolph to the Knicks, it was for Channing Frye and Steve Francis. Francis was bought out immediately, but his contract does run through the end of this season.

Vidball
01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
2 more games...2 more games!!!

USMCLaker
01-08-2009, 03:06 PM
I don't think Portland needs to do anything, except maybe pickup a free agent vet for the MLE just to add some leadership and experience. The Blazers are going to be scary they have so much talent on that team.

Hellcrooner
01-08-2009, 05:22 PM
^The have to adress the Point guard thinkg and could use a good defensive Sf, they lack D in the outside.

I think Battier would be an AWESOME signing for them.

BlondeBomber41
01-08-2009, 05:49 PM
They are paying him, people get confused by this situation, but Miles is still being paid in full by the blazers, however they recieved a medical salary cap exception from the league so its off the books, he is still getting his checks it just dosnt count on their cap unless he plays ten games.

I know what it is. Thats not what I was saying. I was saying they should have to pay him and it actually count against their cap. Teams give out ****** contracts and have to live with the consequences being on their books, and the Blazers shouldnt be any different.

GregOden#1
01-08-2009, 05:51 PM
There arent any good FA's in 09 anymore anyway. Danny Granger was one of the big targets and he's now signed, so has Luol Deng (but Portland has no interest in him anymore even if he was available).

BlondeBomber41
01-08-2009, 05:52 PM
This is kind of bs bc a league doctor made the judgment that they deserved a medical exception, not just the Blazers. And everyone knows that the primary reason a team picks up Miles now is spite, he's been cut by 3 teams.

All doctors have different opinions on situations. One doctor saying he didnt think Miles could play anymore doesnt mean another doctor wouldnt say something totally different.

Lots of players have had to leave the NBA or sit out awhile due to injury. Their teams still had to pay them and it stayed on their books, and the Blazers shouldnt be any different. Hell the Mavs had to pay the contracts of players like Shawn Bradley and Evan Eschmeyer for a couple years after they retired due to injury.

Kn1cks20
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM
The knicks should pick him up & use it as trade bait with the blazers with Miles....give us sergio or we play him for two games :-)

GregOden#1
01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Even if Miles plays we still have enough to sign a max FA...

Hellcrooner
01-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Doctors get wrong every time, Raptors doctors saiGarbajosa had to retire....

He is quite helathy and playing now

GregOden#1
01-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Doctor never said Miles cant play anymore. Doctor said Miles shoudn't play or he'll need knee replacement surgery. He's playing bone on bone right now.

fredv
01-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Why would you trade your best player who is young and kicks ***? And I agree with pmmr2113. How can you say Bayless sucks if he's a rookie and hasn't had nearly enough play time to even start to prove himself? I think Bayless is going to be sick and I wanted the Kings to get him.

I also believe Bayless will turn out beeing great!

td0tsfinest
01-08-2009, 06:09 PM
lol...so who's going to pick up Miles?

MiamiHeat
01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Fredv : :laugh2: @ your sig

but I heard rumors Denver is going to pick him up

superkegger
01-08-2009, 06:26 PM

Francis was bought out after he was traded there for randolph.

And of all the sites, hoopshype, imo, is usually the least reliable when it comes to player and teams salaries anyway.

http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/08-09salaries.htm

this is probably the most reliable site for players salaries.

JermanJaysFan
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
What happens if the Blazers pick him up and sit him on the bench for the rest of the season?

FlawlessKB24
01-08-2009, 07:04 PM
What happens if the Blazers pick him up and sit him on the bench for the rest of the season?

why would Miles even want to sign with them?

superkegger
01-08-2009, 08:15 PM

why on God's green earth would Miles sign with a team he knows would never play him?

kingjanjic
01-08-2009, 08:28 PM

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, plz never make another msg on this board agian, trade roy? roy is gonna be the next big player, have u not seen him play, he is clutch, he can play point n 2 guard, he can pass, he can rebound, he can score,

i hope that was a joke by u cuz if u really think the blazers should trade roy then u should NEVER EVER watch basketball agian plz

blazerman
01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Any team just sign Miles and play him 2 games and get it over with.

We have Raef's 12.7mil expiring and Frye about 4/5mil,Diogu and Rodiguez about 5mil combined are all FA's at the end of the season and dont factor into the longterm plans anyway and Steve Francis contract comes off too.

Anyway you slice it, the Blazers have 20million plus at the end of the season unless we make a substantial trade before the deadline.

If the Blazers get their pg before the trade deadline then who cares anyway, people say were too young and wont do anything in the playoffs, well havent we already beaten about every playoff team besides the Lakers(havent played the Cavs).

Well see what happens and if we add a point guard like Andre Miller or possibly Baron Davis(he and Dunleavy dont like each others style and Eric Gordon is already in good with Dunleavy), he may become available for Raefs 12.7 mil expiring contract and 2 players like Blake/Rodriguez.

homestarunner93
01-08-2009, 08:58 PM
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, plz never make another msg on this board agian, trade roy? roy is gonna be the next big player, have u not seen him play, he is clutch, he can play point n 2 guard, he can pass, he can rebound, he can score,

i hope that was a joke by u cuz if u really think the blazers should trade roy then u should NEVER EVER watch basketball agian plz

OmGz yea dawg i kno what u sayin' uh huh dat d00d is wiggity wack. What what! WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Hellcrooner
01-09-2009, 03:53 AM
I post what i please and sometimes you have to be able to take brave decisions to win it all.

Trading roy sounds crazy but deppendingt what you bring back it can be the key to wining a ring.

But i would better trade Sergio Rudy and Outlow for either a allstar pg or a allstar Sf.

BUt the point is, Stockpiling young talent leaves yuo nowhere but to spoil those who sit in the bench, and to bad chemistry in a year or two.

ask TOR about TJ ford and Calderon....

DenButsu
01-09-2009, 05:03 AM
The Nuggets are missing our starting SF for 3-4 weeks. We could use a little more depth at the 3 coming off the bench... as of January 5th, 10 day contracts can now be signed...

And JB, you asked who would want to do this to the Blazers? How about a division rival whose neck they're breathing down right now?

Big Quett
01-09-2009, 05:22 AM
I post what i please and sometimes you have to be able to take brave decisions to win it all.

Trading roy sounds crazy but deppendingt what you bring back it can be the key to wining a ring.

But i would better trade Sergio Rudy and Outlow for either a allstar pg or a allstar Sf.

BUt the point is, Stockpiling young talent leaves yuo nowhere but to spoil those who sit in the bench, and to bad chemistry in a year or two.

And yeah the Raptors are doing just great aren't they? They were better off with two quality points than one. Look at them now when Jose and O Neal are hurt. They are screwed.

Hellcrooner
01-09-2009, 11:18 AM
^Raptors situation has nothing to do with losing ford, it has to do with losing 80% of last years bench Lost Tj/Calderon DELFINO , GARBAJOSA and NESTEROVIC plus Brezec.
Rasho was very important to their succes beleive it or not.

If yuo have no depth you are not going too far in this league

GregOden#1
01-09-2009, 11:24 AM
^Raptors situation has nothing to do with losing ford, it has to do with losing 80% of last years bench Lost Tj/Calderon DELFINO , GARBAJOSA and NESTEROVIC plus Brezec.
Rasho was very important to their succes beleive it or not.

If yuo have no depth you are not going too far in this league

08 Celtics say hey!

JordansBulls
01-09-2009, 11:31 AM

What will you exactly get for Roy?

Hellcrooner
01-09-2009, 12:16 PM
^Dirk? Anthony? Whoever all star that is disgruntled where he is at because lack of rings?

lakerboy
01-09-2009, 03:30 PM
You can get Radmanovic + Walton for Roy.

I'm not trading my man Sasha for Roy. That would be giving up too much.

Sasha agreed to a pay cut (MLE), so he also has the best contract in the NBA