PDA

View Full Version : What teams are better than you expected this year?

JordansBulls
01-08-2009, 01:17 AM
What teams are better than you expected this year?

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Atlanta Hawks.

Yeah they pushed the C's to the limit. But no one thought they would be a top Eastern team this season.

carter15
01-08-2009, 01:27 AM
nets...and im a nets fan...i was expecting 25-30 wins maybe...but we got 18 already
other teams that surprised me are
cleveland - didnt think theyd be this good
denver forsure is a big surprise for me...when they traded AI i thought theyd get worse then they already were which was a borderline playoff team in the west..but right now there 2nd!! in the west...i actually think that there more surprising then the nets now that i remembered them

Kings Faithful
01-08-2009, 01:52 AM
denver beacuse of the trade
atlanta
magic

Zefflin
01-08-2009, 01:59 AM
The Cavs and the Hawks.

Denver too.

Lakersfan2483
01-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Orlando, Cleveland and Denver

LakerzDQ
01-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Denver Nuggets, I expected them to be battling for the 8th seed.

Cavs, I didn't think they'd be tied for the 1st record in the NBA.

I had a feeling that the Hawks would do really well, but they're doing even better than I thought.

pmmr2113
01-08-2009, 02:07 AM
cleveland. i knew they'd be good, but not this good.

THE MTL
01-08-2009, 02:07 AM
Denver (I thought that team was going to explode this year)
Atlanta (had no idea they were this good)
Cleveland (I didnt think they were an ELITE team)

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Well the trade for Chauncey really helped the Nuggets. No one would have ever thought they would be in this position before the season began.

Chronz
01-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Milwaukee, New Jersey, Dallas, and the Blazers

KobeIs
01-08-2009, 02:55 AM
cleveland. i knew they'd be good, but not this good.

yea me neither. at least not a contender. they are damn good :clap:

Korman12
01-08-2009, 03:02 AM
I agree with almost everyone here - Cleveland. Just because of how good they've really become.

New Jersey too. They were projected to be the worst, if not one of the worst teams this season.

FlawlessKB24
01-08-2009, 03:10 AM
i'm not completely sold on them, but Cleveland for me
and also the Clippers. I didnt think they'd be THIS bad

superkegger
01-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Nuggets, Blazers and Hawks

Kiss Ma Grits
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Cleveland a surprise??? That's a laugher.

Anyone who knows anything about basketball could see that Cleveland's 2 glaring needs were a scorer and a playmaker. Mo williams is the best of both worlds.

People also thought that Ben Wallace was washed up. He's can give you as many minutes as he did in Detroit but he was a better player then he showed us all in Chicago. First of all, Chicago asked Big Ben to do more then he was capable of on the offensive end and they just simply miss used him.

Big Ben is simply a defensive presense and nothing more. He thrives on teams with post players who are capable of playing inside and out like Rasheed Wallace and Illguaskus. Ben is also old too and he had a bad back whiched limited what he could do last year so Cleveland did the smart thing and cut his minutes. Now they're getting the most out of their short term investment.

Even on paper, Cleveland has depth. They have one of the top three benches in the league with Verajao, Gibson, Wally, and Hickson with room to get better.

Z is very underappreciated on here and you can say the same thing about Delonte.

Cleveland a surprise? Well maybe for those who don't follow them.

JordansBulls
01-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Cleveland a surprise??? That's a laugher.

Anyone who knows anything about basketball could see that Cleveland's 2 glaring needs were a scorer and a playmaker. Mo williams is the best of both worlds.

People also thought that Ben Wallace was washed up. He's can give you as many minutes as he did in Detroit but he was a better player then he showed us all in Chicago. First of all, Chicago asked Big Ben to do more then he was capable of on the offensive end and they just simply miss used him.

Big Ben is simply a defensive presense and nothing more. He thrives on teams with post players who are capable of playing inside and out like Rasheed Wallace and Illguaskus. Ben is also old too and he had a bad back whiched limited what he could do last year so Cleveland did the smart thing and cut his minutes. Now they're getting the most out of their short term investment.

Even on paper, Cleveland has depth. They have one of the top three benches in the league with Verajao, Gibson, Wally, and Hickson with room to get better.

Z is very underappreciated on here and you can say the same thing about Delonte.

Cleveland a surprise? Well maybe for those who don't follow them.

That trade last year was for the benefit of Cleveland. True Ben Wallace isn't a scorer, he provides to the team what Dennis Rodman provides.

To me the biggest surprise now is Orlando and now Denver with the Billups trade.

Kyben36
01-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Nobody Says Portland. Comon. I mean yes they are talented but they are SO young. I didnt expect them to be a top seed in the West. I expected maybe a 6-8 seed for them. But they seem to be a top team right out of the gate.

KeithLBC
01-10-2009, 02:08 AM
Miami Heat. They went from 15 wins last year to being a 6 seed in the east!

Teeboy1487
01-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Heat, Hawks, Magic, and Nuggets

ee
01-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Nets, Heat the most

KB24PG16
01-10-2009, 03:30 AM
cleveland magic

Hotone1401
01-10-2009, 04:17 AM
Cleveland - I was almost sure that Boston was a lock for the Finals again but the Cavs are showing they are for real. Lebron is growing up before our eyes and I think it's only the beginning of something really special to come from him.

Miami - D. Wade's return to full strength has totally changed this team. I'm really suprised that they are 6th in the East but the team has alot of heart to make up for their lack of size. They are a super quick team on both ends. I'm actually pulling for them to make the playoffs now. It would be pretty exciting to see Wade carry his team the playoffs because he is the team at this point. Possible top MVP candidate for sure.

Lakers - Weird pick I guess considering they are loaded but I really wasn't sure they would be playing this well. Watching them you can really see their length on defense and I really like how they move the ball this season. From what I have seen, the real reason for their success this season has been the aggressive play of Pau Gasol. He is playing without fear and it really looks like he is on mission. This is one team that is only gonna get better as the season goes along.

Runner ups were Orlando and the Hawks. The Hawks are actually as good as I thought they would be. They showed what they could do last postseason and I think they will get better as the season goes along. The Magic are playing well right now but I also remember them getting out to hot start early last season too. I'm curious to see how long they can keep it up.

NJhaslopezfever
01-10-2009, 05:19 AM
nets were projected to be the worse team in the east, now they're vying for a playoff seed we also have a very young roster.

JJ81
01-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Pacers!

UK Bull
01-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Denver, Cleveland and Orlando

UK Bull
01-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Pacers!

I would have said the pacers but thats just Danny Granger mainly

Tom81
01-10-2009, 01:11 PM
cavs,atlanta,nets

bogmon
01-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Suns....I thought they were gonna implode....I didn't think all the changes would work.
Watching them dismantle the Mavs last night made me realize Kerr knows what he is doing!
All those vets on one team is lookin' pretty dangerous.

Jay22Redd
01-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Denver
Dallas ;)
New Jersey

JJ81
01-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Thunder.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-10-2009, 01:38 PM
I thought these teams would be in a battle for 8th seed

Denver, Heat, Atlanta, NJ,

Teams that were good but way better than expected

Portland, Cleveland

Draco
01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Spurs.

nyKnicks126
01-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Cavaliers, Blazers, Hawks, Nets (didn't expect)

IndyRealist
01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Knew about the Mo Williams deal in the offseason, and I always thought Cleveland was a scoring PG away from a championship.

New Jersey - I had no idea Devin Harris was this good, and he's raised Vince from the dead.

Miami - They're playing a combo forward at C, and various project players at PG. I pegged them for top 5 lottery. Wade is carrying them all by himself.

Milwaukee - Scott Skiles has them buying into D. Thought defense was a dirty word in Milwaukee.

Atlanta - I thought losing Josh Childress would destroy the team. They still don't have a bench to speak of, but they're making the most out of what they've got.

Nuggets - As long as it was AI and Melo, they were doomed to mediocrity. Both are scorers not defenders, and neither is a leader. Was totally blindsided by the Billups deal, I thought Detriot was blowing smoke when they said they were going to shake up the team.

Phoenix - I didn't buy into Terry Porter's system. I didn't buy into Shaq regaining his old, dominant self. Glad to see that it's finally working out in Arizona.

La11
01-10-2009, 02:18 PM
lakers, celtics, cleveland, Orlando

Duncan = Donkey
01-11-2009, 06:21 AM
for me its the cavs, i new theyd be good but not this good

Lost Art
01-11-2009, 06:47 AM
The Cavs. I knew Lebron was going to be amazing.........but I had no idea Mo Williams was this good.

Sox Appeal
01-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Knew about the Mo Williams deal in the offseason, and I always thought Cleveland was a scoring PG away from a championship.

New Jersey - I had no idea Devin Harris was this good, and he's raised Vince from the dead.

Miami - They're playing a combo forward at C, and various project players at PG. I pegged them for top 5 lottery. Wade is carrying them all by himself.

Milwaukee - Scott Skiles has them buying into D. Thought defense was a dirty word in Milwaukee.

Atlanta - I thought losing Josh Childress would destroy the team. They still don't have a bench to speak of, but they're making the most out of what they've got.

Nuggets - As long as it was AI and Melo, they were doomed to mediocrity. Both are scorers not defenders, and neither is a leader. Was totally blindsided by the Billups deal, I thought Detriot was blowing smoke when they said they were going to shake up the team.

Phoenix - I didn't buy into Terry Porter's system. I didn't buy into Shaq regaining his old, dominant self. Glad to see that it's finally working out in Arizona.

Good call then. I've always thought they where a passing PG away (Jason Kidd) opposed to scorer, looks like I was wrong.

Orlando is DEFIANTLY my surprise team. Coming into the season I figured they would win 42-45 games, win their division, and then lose early in the playoffs. But with the way things are going right now, there's no reason why these guy's couldn't go to at LEAST the Conference Finals, and maybe even the Finals.

_Sn1P3r_
01-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Bucks / Nets / Denver

td0tsfinest
01-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Orlando. I knew they would be good this year but they have one of the best records in the nba.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
01-11-2009, 01:16 PM
yea me neither. at least not a contender. they are damn good :clap:

How were they "at least not a contender" before the season?

But Cleveland's record surprises me, but I knew it would be a good Cavalier team.

With LeBron on the team I never would ever think Cleveland isn't a contender.

EAGLES3658
01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Wizards.

ShaunRiching9
01-11-2009, 02:03 PM
teh cavs have surprised me quite a bit

Voodoo Alchemy
01-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Cleveland.

Kobe is the best clutch player, however, LBJ is the best player period!!!

KIDDSNETS0324
01-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Miami Heat- their not a top team in the team, but who woulda thought they would be the 6th seed in the east...i expected them to be where the thunder is now

JayW_1023
01-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Spurs.

LOL, same ol' story every year...people keep saying The Spurs are done and too old.

oshea225
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM
new jersey's the biggest surprise to me, probably because i live here and somehwat follow them (i dont like them though). others that have surprised me: cleveland, orlando, milwaukee, and i guess denver

PRETTY BIRD!
01-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Cleveland

Shaq back 2 L.A
01-11-2009, 10:26 PM
lakers- u people thought that the hornets and rockets were better then them!!

cavs- absolutely amazing!(i hate lebron)

luckynumber_752
01-11-2009, 11:05 PM
Miami, Denver, and Cleveland

Salzyballerz
01-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Milwauke, and New Jersey are the biggest surprises. They are both right in the playoff hunt.

Fireworld
01-12-2009, 04:48 AM
atlanta & magic

JordansBulls
01-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Mo Williams to me does for the Cavs what a Tony Parker was doing for the Spurs from 2004-2006.

IBleedPurple
01-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Nuggets-took the jump to an upper level team in the West, we'll see if it lasts
Hawks-playing great ball, but like the Nuggets, need a full season to be validated as a good team

JayW_1023
01-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Mo Williams to me does for the Cavs what a Tony Parker was doing for the Spurs from 2004-2006.

Except Mo Williams has something Tony hasn't: a deadly jumper. While Parker is the superior penetrater and fast break player...he'd be unstoppable with a jumper.

I think San Antonio really miss a good shooter to spread the floor like Brent Barry, who filled that role nicely. My Spurs are a good defensive team, but the offense comes and goes...like it did against Orlando.