PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round Draft Disappointments

Korman12
01-08-2009, 12:29 AM
The season is roughly half-way done, and a lot of people are talking about who will end of as Rookie of the Year at the end of the season. But I wonder who you guys would consider to be the worst or least effective first round selection from the past draft?

*Keep in mind, players like Danilo Gallinari, Serge Ibaka, D.J. White, and J.R. Giddens cannot be considered because of either injuries or no playing time in the league.

2008 NBA First Round

1: Derrick Rose - CHI
2: Michael Beasley - MIA
3: O.J. Mayo - MEM
4: Russel Westbrook - OKC
5: Kevin Love - MIN
6: Danilo Gallinari* - NYC
7: Eric Gordon - LAC
8: Joe Alexander - MIL
9: D.J. Augustin - CHA
10: Brook Lopez - NJN
11: Jerryd Bayless - POR
12: Jason Thompson - SAC
13: Brandon Rush - IND
14: Anthony Randolph - GSW
15: Robin Lopez - PHO
16: Mareese Speights - PHI
17: Roy Hibbert - IND
18: JaVale McGee - WAS
19: J.J. Hickson - CLE
20: Alexis Ajinca - CHA
21: Ryan Anderson - NJN
22: Courtney Lee - ORL
23: Kosta Koufos - UTA
24: Serge Ibaka* - OKC
25: Nicolas Batum - POR
26: George Hill - SAS
27: Darrell Arthur - MEM
28: Donte Green - SAC
29: D.J. White* - OKC
30: J.R. Giddens* - BOS

SteveNash
01-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Danilo Gallinari.

I always said he'd be a bust if the best thing people can say about him is that he's a better prospect than Andrea Bargnani.

what54!?
01-08-2009, 12:40 AM
uh beasley was drafted 2nd. I'd go with robin lopez. Everytime I've seen him play he's made me laugh. He looks lost on the court.

PurpleJesus
01-08-2009, 12:48 AM
I have a feeling alot of people will say kevin love, but he averages about 8ppg and 8rpg, and hes only 19, he had 16 and 14 tonight.

Because of all his hype, im going to call Beasley a bust.

ee
01-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Lopez looking to be the best big man in the draft.....Also, his size makes him a factor defensively, plus his shot blocking ability....Disappointments, I haven't really looked around......

MooseWithFleas
01-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Everyone said Brook would be the real deal and that Robin would be a bust and it appears correct so far

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Danilo Gallinari.

I always said he'd be a bust if the best thing people can say about him is that he's a better prospect than Andrea Bargnani.

*Keep in mind, players like Danilo Gallinari, Serge Ibaka, D.J. White, and J.R. Giddens cannot be considered because of no playing time in the league.

yeah

Bosh=nextKG
01-08-2009, 01:27 AM
i gotta go with Joe Alexander, 8th pick and he hasnt done **** yet.

Sixerlover
01-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Very early, but Joe Alexander has been pretty disappointing.

SteveNash
01-08-2009, 02:28 AM
yeah

He's played in 2 games.

theuuord
01-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Very early, but Joe Alexander has been pretty disappointing.

He's gotten so little playing time you can't really tell yet.

Korman12
01-08-2009, 02:59 AM
As for the case of Joe Alexander, I do believe to some extent he's a disappointment. Yes, he's gotten little playing time because of the Richard Jefferson trade, but you'd have to believe, for some reason, that a guy like Alexander isn't getting any playing time on a team that starts a 2nd round pick rookie with Mbah a Moute that there might be a reason he isn't getting minutes.

Jerryd Bayless doesn't get the minutes either, but he's playing for a much better team, so there might be a more reasonable excuse. I've heard a lot about Alexander; that he was taken too high in the draft (agreed) and, to be fair to him, was not really NBA ready when he came into the league. All that said, the 8th pick for a team as average, or below average as Milwaukee, Alexander may be considered a disappointment so far.

As for Robin Lopez, i'm still astounded at the huge difference between him and his brother Brook. It's almost ridiculous how much better Brook has played for New Jersey so far.

Giaps
01-08-2009, 04:22 AM
He's played in 2 games.
He had an 8 minute game and a 4 minute game while he was still injured.

That's not playing time.

Bishnoff
01-08-2009, 04:50 AM
Robin Lopez by a mile. Averages more fouls than minutes (not really, but it's close) and has hands comparable to Kwame.

Fireworld
01-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Kevin Love

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Honestly, Mr. Instant Offense Michael Beasley. Instead of using more of a under the basket he's focusing way too much time on Jump shots. Now I'm not saying he won't become a stud, but as of right now he doesn't warrant the pick.

J-Relo
01-08-2009, 09:23 AM
As for the case of Joe Alexander, I do believe to some extent he's a disappointment. Yes, he's gotten little playing time because of the Richard Jefferson trade, but you'd have to believe, for some reason, that a guy like Alexander isn't getting any playing time on a team that starts a 2nd round pick rookie with Mbah a Moute that there might be a reason he isn't getting minutes.

Jerryd Bayless doesn't get the minutes either, but he's playing for a much better team, so there might be a more reasonable excuse. I've heard a lot about Alexander; that he was taken too high in the draft (agreed) and, to be fair to him, was not really NBA ready when he came into the league. All that said, the 8th pick for a team as average, or below average as Milwaukee, Alexander may be considered a disappointment so far.

As for Robin Lopez, i'm still astounded at the huge difference between him and his brother Brook. It's almost ridiculous how much better Brook has played for New Jersey so far.

as how much more minutes he is getting and as how Nets don't have good Big-Man (Suns have two GREAT: Shaq & Stat)...

J-Relo
01-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Robin Lopez by a mile. Averages more fouls than minutes (not really, but it's close) and has hands comparable to Kwame.

but what did you expect for him? taking more minutes than Shaq?... SUns have two all-star Big-Men in front of Lopez... that guy doesn't get many minutes, but he needs them to improve...
the only thing that dissapoints me about Lopez is that Suns coac doesn't give him minutes

LD V2.0
01-08-2009, 10:18 AM
i gotta go with Joe Alexander, 8th pick and he hasnt done **** yet.

That's because he's not getting PT. He's played well when given a chance. Its tough when you play behind Jefferson and Redd and the team is struggling. Those two eat up all the minutes.

JordansBulls
01-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Has Mareese Speights played much?

JAZZNC
01-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Has Mareese Speights played much?

I don't think so, I really didn't expect much out of him. He seemed to me like one of those big men taken on potential which is just ridiculous. He's gonna be a work in progress.

Aapox
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
George Hill.

Honestly, why would anyone draft a player from friggin IUPUI?

(jk, he's siiick)

ramansingh3
01-08-2009, 02:43 PM
robin doesn't start he is behind shaq. so you have to take that in consideration, but brooke is more talented.

Sixerlover
01-08-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't think so, I really didn't expect much out of him. He seemed to me like one of those big men taken on potential which is just ridiculous. He's gonna be a work in progress.

Are you serious? Dalembert gets no time in the 4th quarter anymore because of the play of Speights and Ratliff. He is far exceeding all of his rookie expectations. The announcers and teammates don't even call him a rookie anymore because of how ahead of the learning curve he is.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marreese_speights/game_by_game_stats.html

The games he doesn't do much are the games DiLeo yo-yo's his minutes.

Korman12
01-09-2009, 04:42 AM
Yeah, Speights statistically may have been the best pick taken after Jason Thompson from the first round. If anything, he's been one of the best rookies so far.

Big Quett
01-09-2009, 05:18 AM
but what did you expect for him? taking more minutes than Shaq?... SUns have two all-star Big-Men in front of Lopez... that guy doesn't get many minutes, but he needs them to improve...
the only thing that dissapoints me about Lopez is that Suns coac doesn't give him minutes

He gets plenty opportunities when Shaq doesn't play back to backs. He usually starts and he usually is sitting back on the bench in foul trouble within the first 3 mins.

Here is your proof Wednesday's boxscore. He got the start with the Diesel out....

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=290107021

Diego_Le
01-09-2009, 05:20 AM
That's because he's not getting PT. He's played well when given a chance. Its tough when you play behind Jefferson and Redd and the team is struggling. Those two eat up all the minutes.

Come on now there must be something wrong with him when Moute a 2nd round draft pick is starting and getting more mins than him.

Ph1lly Diehard
01-09-2009, 07:48 AM

Speights has easily been one of the biggest surprises and has some of the most upside in this draft.

He has rediculous upside and is fearless.

================================
I'd say Beasely. Not that he hasn't played good, but not up to what everyone thought he would be up to.