PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of Ricky Rubio?

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 10:08 PM
What do you guys think of him? Do you think he's worth the hype of being a top 3 pick? Being only 18 and already performing well in the Spanish Pro League and being chosen and actually performing pretty decent in the Olympics, I think he has a lot of potential to do well in the NBA. Even Jerry Colangelo and Chris Paul saw something different from this kid, something that will make him successful in the NBA. He outplayed Brandon Jennings even when he is still recovering from an injury. Of course those people who say that he's going to make a major impact in his rookie season are idiots, but I feel that with proper mentoring he'll be a top PG in the NBA in about 2-3 years.

What do you think? Here are some clips of him if you haven't seen him play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqLGzkhRHN8&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Pv5fHzP5Y&fmt=18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12FOZsjWxwk&fmt=18

superkegger
01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I think he will be good and probably a multiple time allstar at some point, but at this point right now, I think he's overhyed and over rated.

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 10:19 PM
^^ how so?? You mean when he's being compared to Pistol Pete??

superkegger
01-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I just think he's overhyped in general. As are most young prospects. Few kids live up to the hype, when they're hyped this much, especially not in the short run. He'll be good, but like most prospects, he's overhyped.

Sixerlover
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
People are talking about him like he is a franchise changing player in the next two years. I don't see it. When I watched him in the olympics against every other team besides America (I mean Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd.. come on) he didn't DOMINATE like I thought he would. He is only 18, so he can become a consistent all star, but as of right now I can't really tell.

jehovah joe
01-07-2009, 10:33 PM
i think rubio would look good in a warriors uniform...

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 10:37 PM
i think rubio would look good in a warriors uniform...

IMO D'Antoni would utilize his skillset the best.

Although he still needs to work on that outside shot.

GspLAL
01-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Better put on some weight or he's gonna get knocked around in the NBA.

Seems like he's playing high schoolers out there.

24/7 All Day
01-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Wasn't too impressive during Olympics. Haven't believed the hype. Don't believe the hype.

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 11:20 PM

high schoolers? You're comparing professional men to young white kids who can't even touch the rim?

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Wasn't too impressive during Olympics. Haven't believed the hype. Don't believe the hype.

How many 17 year olders have been chosen in the Olympics? And have you actually watched all of Spain's games or just the one against the United States??

Lebron23
01-07-2009, 11:36 PM
I'd take Blake Griffin or James Harden over this Ricky Rubio, and I am also not impressed with his performance in the 2008 Olympics.

It's sucks that Patrick Mills, who's the best player of the Australian National Team doesn't get enough hype despite schooling CP3 in the 2008 Olympics.

And Mills is a borderline late 1st round pick according to NBA Draft Express and NBA Draft Net.

EAGLES3658
01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
He sucks:p

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 11:42 PM
I'd take Blake Griffin or James Harden over this Ricky Rubio, and I am also not impressed in his performance in the 2008 Olympics.

How many games have you seen him play? Or did you just see the game against the U.S.??

Of course no 17 year old backup is going to have a 20 point 15 assist game in a Gold Medal game against the best team in the world. I think any judgment based on that one game is premature.

It's sucks that Patrick Mills, who's the best player of the Australian National Team doesn't get enough hype despite schooling CP3 in the 2008 Olympics.

They didn't play each other in the Olympics. They played in the exhibition games. And we all know the U.S. wasn't playing their best at that point.

Lebron23
01-07-2009, 11:43 PM
And he doesn't play like Piston Pete because Maravich was already a Scoring Machine in College, when he's the same age as Ricky Rubio.

Lebron23
01-07-2009, 11:47 PM
How many games have you seen him play? Or did you just see the game against the U.S.??

I am just saying that Patrick Mills puts up better numbers than Rubio in the 2008 Olympics, and even Coach K was very impressed with the Aussie PG because he's able to outplayed CP3, who's one of the best 1 on 1 defenders in the NBA.

20 points, 3 steals, and 2 assists vs. the pound for pound best PG in the World. Patrick Mills was also his team leading scorer with 14.2 ppg despite coming off the bench

Here's Manu Ginobili's quote in the 2008 Olympics

Manu Ginobili, Argentinian NBA superstar - "He's a very dangerous player. He's quick, he's got a nice shot, he's smart and he's young, so he's going to be a great player". (After playing against Mills in the 2008 Beijing Olympics)

And how many times did you watch Rubio play in the Euroleague?

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 11:49 PM
And he doesn't play like Piston Pete because Maravich was already a Scoring Machine in College, when he's the same age as Ricky Rubio.

No one is comparing Rubio to Pistol Pete based on their raw talent. Of course Pete Maravich is head and shoulders above Rubio. The comparison comes from their demeanor and composure on the court, their creativity, and their looks of course.

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 11:56 PM
I am just saying that Patrick Mills puts up better numbers than Rubio in the 2008 Olympics, and even the Coach K was very impressed with the Aussie PG because he's able to outplayed CP3, who's one of the best 1 on 1 defenders in the NBA.

20 points, 3 steals, and 2 assists vs. the pound for pound best PG in the World.

Rubio is not much of a volume scorer. He's a prototype point guard in terms that he doesn't look to shoot but rather he looks to create for his teammates. More of like a quicker, more athletic version of Steve Nash. I don't see Nash scoring 20+ points every game, but we all regard him as an elite PG.

Like I said, I wouldn't expect him to make a major impact right when he comes to the league. What makes scouts wow at this kid is that he is already playing really well in the pro leagues, and he still has a lot of room for improvement.

And how many times did you watch Rubio in the Euroleague?

I've watched a number of his ACB games and I'm following his progress regularly in the internet through news and scouting reports. Unfortunately, he hasn't been getting a lot of minutes because he's recovering from a wrist injury. But even with the injury, he still has the capability to provide scoring opportunities to his teammates with his creative passing.

Lebron23
01-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Same can be said about Andrea Bargnani and Darko Milicic, when they were touted as two of the best players in the Euroleague because of their Potential.

Only Dirk Nowitzki, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Peja Stojakovic are 3 of most successful European players that were drafted in the First round, and most of the best players from Europe were drafted in the late first round or early 2nd round. ( Parker, Sabonis, Petrovic)

I still believe that Chris Paul will be the best Pg in the next decade because he already averaged better individual numbers than Prime Jason Kidd and Prime Steve Nash, and he's the first PG since John Stockton to led the NBA in Assists and Steals.

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Same can be said about Andrea Bargnani and Darko Milicic, when they were touted as two of the best players in the Euroleague because of their Potential.

Just because Milicic was a bust doesn't mean Rubio will be one. And Bargnani isn't a bust in any way. I mean of course you gotta have potential if you want to be regarded by scouts as a good NBA prospect. Those college players have A LOT of potential. Would be they be busts too?

And normally big men who played international have a harder time adjusting than smaller players because Centers are utilized in a different way in international ball, especially in Europe. They are not supposed to be big bruisers who look to pound down in the post, especially that international ball is more of outside-inside rather than inside-outside.

Most of the international players who do well in the NBA aren't big men but rather guards ( Tony Parker, Steve Nash, Manu Ginobili, Jose Calderon, Leandro Barbosa, Rudy Fernandez, Drazen Petrovic ) because they can adjust better to American basketball than big men.

I still believe that Chris Paul will be the best Pg in the next decade because he already averaged better individual numbers than Prime Jason Kidd and Prime Steve Nash, and he's the first PG since John Stockton to led the NBA in Assists and Steals.

Never did I say that Ricky will surpass CP3 as the best PG in the league. I just said that in a few years, with good mentoring he will be an elite PG in the league.

Korman12
01-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I feel there's an unfair bias against European prospects in the NBA from some fans. Rubio may not be the #1 prospect for 2009 (I would agree that it's Griffin) but he's the best PG prospect for the draft. Many of you were citing how you didn't feel he performed well enough in the Olympics (to be fair, most people only saw him against the United States). That may be true to some extent, but when you put a 17 year-old (at the time) as the starting PG against the best team on the planet, expecting a great performance is a little near-sighted

And yes, Euopean guards fare much better than other types of players in the NBA.

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 01:03 AM
^^ exactly

and I don't think Rubio is declaring for this year's draft. So the 1st pick is Griffin's to lose.

Hellcrooner
01-08-2009, 03:58 AM
1st of all patrick mills put better numbers because...... he does not share team with CLADERON, RUDY, NAVARRO, GASOL, MARC GASOL, GARBAJOSA; RAUL LOPEZ all of them NBA players.

2 i dont understand what kind of idiot started the Rubio , Pistol pete maravich comparision.

COme on Rubio is a Peach and Pete was an Orange.

Pistol pete was known for ,

1 Being a complete offensive menace.

2 Having a deadly shot.

3 Giving out spectacular passes.

4 Having ABSOLUTELy NO DEFENSE.

5 Not being a good rebounder.

while rubio is.

1 Spectacular in Defense specially in steels.

2 A controled passes players

3 A pass first mentality.

4 a bad shooter.

5 Rebounding quite well for his size.

So....why the comparisons?

If you are waiting for him to come to the league and be a C paul or D Rose kind of guard tehres is nothing but dissapointing and calling him a bust for you.

He willl NEVER be a 20 ppg scorer.

BUT that does not mean he is not going to be SUPERSTAR , but not THAT kind of superstar.

He indeed will be a franchise changer but he will do it not scoring but with All around game and making team mates better.

I expect PRIME rubio in 5 or 6 years to average something like 12-15 points per game 12 to 14 assists (lead the league in assists) grab 5-6 rebounds (pretty fair for size) and Lead the league in STEALS. and take 6 or 7 triple doubles a year.

Mmm this kind of stats remind me of someone.......

Jason kidd part II anybody?

GspLAL
01-08-2009, 06:21 AM
high schoolers? You're comparing professional men to young white kids who can't even touch the rim?

You know what I mean, he's not playing competition thats even close to the NBA, plus the physicality. If he doesnt put on some weight hes ****ed.

JJ81
01-08-2009, 07:32 AM
The kid amazes me. He plays with such maturity for someone his age. He's alraedy proved that he can get into the paint and draw fouls against the best (team USA). He can definitely hold his own and I can't wait to see him in the NBA. I have him down as a number 1 pick, I expect big things from him.

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 11:03 AM
You know what I mean, he's not playing competition thats even close to the NBA, plus the physicality. If he doesnt put on some weight hes ****ed.

The competition not close? That's stretching it a bit too far.

I do agree though that he has to put on some weights to be much more effective in the NBA.

NANDOKNICK
01-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Weak and small for NBA,,,,but Stockton did it.:eyebrow:

BTownTeamsRKing
01-08-2009, 12:56 PM
the next dan dickua. lol seriously tho.

not worth a top 5 pick. he isnt going to be steve nash. i agree with lebron23, mills looks better.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
01-08-2009, 01:23 PM
he can play... but he's overrated.

liliverson819
01-08-2009, 01:51 PM
i absolutely love how this guy plays... kinda try to play like he plays actually..

when he comes to the nba hes gonna be my 3rd favorite player easily behind Melo and JR

Itown in Cali
01-08-2009, 02:22 PM
If he doesn't develop his left more and use that left side of the floor, he we will get dominated by smarter defenses. The only time I see him go left, he pulls up for a jumper. His passing skills look special, the rest seems average.

Daze9900
01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Remember when a kid from lower merion high school was over hyped? and picked 13th? Or that other kid from saint vincent saint mary that they said would be the king of the nba? I'm not ready to jump on the Rubio bandwagon but when it comes to hyped nba players lets save the speculation and see how high he goes. Teams draft based on skill set and need. PG play is a rare commodity in the nba and based on that alone he will go high. Whether he becomes stockton, maravich or nash is yet to be seen.

Gmen824
01-08-2009, 02:59 PM

I hate when people say that?!

He's 6'3 180 lbs,

Chris Paul = 6'0 175lbs,

Steve Nash = 6'3 176lbs,

Rajon Rondo = 6'1 171lbs

Allen Iverson = 6' 165lbs

Weight doesn't mean much in the nba, its how you handle your self with your defense/offense, people were saying the same thing about Kevin Durant, he's not getting thrown around every night huh?!

MiamiHeat
01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
I can't wait to see him play
and see how he performs

GspLAL
01-08-2009, 04:46 PM

He's 6'3 180 lbs,

Chris Paul = 6'0 175lbs,

Steve Nash = 6'3 176lbs,

Rajon Rondo = 6'1 171lbs

Weight doesn't mean much in the nba, its how you handle your self with your defense/offense, people were saying the same thing about Kevin Durant, he's not getting thrown around every night huh?!

Are you kidding me? Didnt look anywhere near that from the videos.

MiamiHeat
01-08-2009, 04:54 PM

He's 6'3 180 lbs,

Chris Paul = 6'0 175lbs,

Steve Nash = 6'3 176lbs,

Rajon Rondo = 6'1 171lbs

Ricky Rubio is 6' 4

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 06:56 PM
the next dan dickua. lol seriously tho.

not worth a top 5 pick. he isnt going to be steve nash. i agree with lebron23, mills looks better.

Because Mills scored 20 points? Again, I'll repeat myself. Rubio's greatness doesn't come from scoring 20+ points per game but rather from creating for his teammates. I mean he can score 20 too but that's not his strength.