PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets trade Atkins, 09 1st to Thunder for Petro, 09 2nd

jacquewho?
01-07-2009, 08:49 PM
The Nuggets have traded Chucky Atkins and a 2009 first round pick to the Thunder for Johan Petro and a 2009 second round pick.

It's unclear how the Thunder plans to use Atkins, but the team currently has a crowded point guard rotation with Russell Westbrook and Earl Watson. If he somehow got 25 minutes a game in Oklahoma City, he could have some value in deeper leagues, but that seems unlikely.

rotoworld

Good trade...Atkins is an expiring and you get a 1st rounder that will probably be in the 20-25 range.

dirk206
01-07-2009, 09:54 PM
OMG, this is exactly what I was hoping for, you pick up another 1st rounder and hell, you don't give up much. Johan Petro, hmmm, I still think he can become a decent player but he just needs to cut down on the fouls and develop something that resembles any sort of game. He really didn't really show anything on defense or offense. I just found out if the Nuggets make the playoffs we get the 1st rounder this year but if they don't, they keep their 1st rounder for this year and they give us another 1st round pick down the line. Pray they make the playoffs.

dirk206
01-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Question, did we give up are early 2nd round pick in this trade?

okcthunder1
01-08-2009, 01:12 AM
well it says that we gave up "our" second round pick. I am pretty sure that means it will be the first pick of the 2nd round for us. But hey i will take the deal. This gives us 3 first round picks in 2009 if the nuggets make the playoffs. we could put together a good team if we make smart picks, or we could group the 2nd 2 first round picks together with a player like watson or collison and try to get another top 10 pick. could work out but either way, the Thunder win big here.

dirk206
01-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Do we have any other 2nd round picks in the 09 draft? Hopefully we can pick up a few 2nd round picks through a trade because their will be some decent players in the 2nd round.

THE MTL
01-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Do we have any other 2nd round picks in the 09 draft? Hopefully we can pick up a few 2nd round picks through a trade because their will be some decent players in the 2nd round.

Then take them with ur first rounders duh? Your post makes no sense.

dirk206
01-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Then take them with ur first rounders duh? Your post makes no sense.

Obviously we would take the players that we want the most in the 1st round, that's just common sense. I was referring to guys who may slip into the 2nd round and would be steals. Also, there may be some European players who could blossom into decent players given some time in Europe so we stash them for a few years. Also, like I stated before, guys like AJ Price, Jeremy Pargo and Terrance Williams are expected to be available in the 2nd round and I think they could help this team. That's why acquiring some 2nd round picks couldn't hurt.

dimedrpr
01-08-2009, 05:04 AM
We only have the one 2nd rounder this year but if we can get Pargo or Tyrese Rice I would be thrilled. I doubt we will keep all three first round picks as we would be stuck with three unproven players with guaranteed contracts.

I like this trade though. I've always liked Atkins as a back up PG and I'm hoping it means that Earl Watson is fixing to be moved.

dirk206
01-08-2009, 06:09 AM
^I'm sure we can get something for Earl Watson, his scoring is down but his assists are still pretty good. He could fetch us more expiring contracts or picks. I think Atlanta could use a backup PG real bad or even a team like Phoenix.

Carey
01-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Yea i like the deal, petro wasn't gonna be used and had fallen out of favor, atkins contract is virtually expiring and we move up in the draft. The first round pick will probably only be 6 to 10 spots higher than the 2nd round pick we gave them buts its another good assets. Im with you dirk206 i really like to see us get a 2nd round pick down the road to grab someone who drops. Do you think this trade opens the floodgates for a lot of deals before the deadline. Maybe picking up a vet in atkins sets up a deal with earl watson?

dirk206
01-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I think it will eventually spell the end for Earl Watson, who just isn't happy being backup to Russell Westbrook. I think there will be 1 or 2 small trades down the line when the trade deadline nears, but they won't be huge moves. It wouldn't surprise me if they move the other 2 1st round blunders in Mouhamed Sene or Robert Swift, Swift in his 1st season healthy has been pretty weak, he's been starting and like Petro has done nothing given a starting role. Mouhamed Sene on the other hand hasn't even gotten on the court, the Petro trade could warrant him some playing time but with the acquisition of Krstic, I'm not sure.
I'm hesitant about trading Sene just because he's only 22 and I haven't seen what he can do in extended minutes but with Swift, if we trade him I could honestly care less.

Carey
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Yea presti is trying to clean up previous 1st round mistakes....swift has a little upside to me and can be a good backup big for a good team, he's play's pretty good post d, he just still looks a little behind mobility wise. Sene i jus havent seen but from what i've seen i dont think he can give us much, Your right this could spell the end for earl but what do you think he can get us back in return. He would be a really good backup pg for alot of teams and his contract is off the books next year. With atkins on board i feel a little more comfortable moving watson. Im going to start looking at players and contracts to see what earl could bring back in a deal.

friarfan07
01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
great move, though are we sure there's not some sort of rule against accumulating so many 1st round picks? we can field a complete team solely from the next 2 drafts. :D

i'd expect to see watson moved next. no way we need 3 PGs, and with atkins coming off the books, look for westbrook to have a backup from either the draft or another trade.

Carey
01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Yea i agree, you need 3 pgs on your roster but the 3rd shouldn't be making 3.4 million. I like e wat but it looks like this sets up his departure

chad311k9
01-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Yea presti is trying to clean up previous 1st round mistakes....swift has a little upside to me and can be a good backup big for a good team, he's play's pretty good post d, he just still looks a little behind mobility wise. Sene i jus havent seen but from what i've seen i dont think he can give us much, Your right this could spell the end for earl but what do you think he can get us back in return. He would be a really good backup pg for alot of teams and his contract is off the books next year. With atkins on board i feel a little more comfortable moving watson. Im going to start looking at players and contracts to see what earl could bring back in a deal.

ya, because you wouldn't want this team to suddenly start losing because they traded away Watson. :rolleyes:

torontoraptors1
01-10-2009, 08:14 PM
oklahoma city gets
will solomon
anthony parker
2nd round

toronto gets
earl watson

anthony parker expiring contract you get a 2nd round pick and a ok.. pg and we get a good young backup pg