PDA

View Full Version : What are the Nuggets thinking? (dumb trade)

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 06:49 PM
The Nuggets have traded Chucky Atkins and a 2009 first round pick to the Thunder for Johan Petro and a 2009 second round pick.
It's unclear how the Thunder plans to use Atkins, but the team currently has a crowded point guard rotation with Russell Westbrook and Earl Watson. If he somehow got 25 minutes a game in Oklahoma City, he could have some value in deeper leagues, but that seems unlikely.

Why would you trade atkins AND a first round pick for a bad player?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2009, 06:50 PM
well they needed a big but they could have gotten a better deal

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
they just gave up a first round pick and a player for a worse player

FlawlessKB24
01-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Petro can be solid, but yeah i wouldnt have trade a 1st rounder

tonyd3b54
01-07-2009, 06:57 PM
celtics wouldve given them saclibrine

_Sn1P3r_
01-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Earl Watson could be gone then.. And do Nugz need a big or something?

chicagowhitesox
01-07-2009, 07:16 PM
hahahaha that is terrible

carter15
01-07-2009, 07:16 PM
but just look at it this way..denvers first rounder is gonna be around pick 25 lets say...and okc's second rounder will be pick 31?....so the swap or draft picks really isnt a big fall for denver.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2009, 07:17 PM
a 5 fall drop is bad. even a 2 drop fall is bad in the draft

You want to get the best available player before he's gone

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I would have traded Humpries and solomon for Atkins and Anderson

theuuord
01-07-2009, 07:20 PM
a 5 fall drop is bad. even a 2 drop fall is bad in the draft

You want to get the best available player before he's gone

not at ALL.
having the first pick in the second round is actually really good, because of the way contract scaling works. It's why the Timberwolves got Pekovic pretty much instantly when their pick came up this year - he's a foreign player (and honestly one of the best prospects in the world) but he's not bound to a rookie contract the way first rounders are.

SteveNash
01-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Because Atkins sucks and the second rounder might as well be a first rounder.

jimbobjarree
01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
^but a second rounders contract will suit Denver alot more

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2009, 07:26 PM
not at ALL.
having the first pick in the second round is actually really good, because of the way contract scaling works. It's why the Timberwolves got Pekovic pretty much instantly when their pick came up this year - he's a foreign player (and honestly one of the best prospects in the world) but he's not bound to a rookie contract the way first rounders are.

you can negotiate money to the way you both agree and if you cant, you trade the rights to someone else for another cheaper player from the draft you still like

would you rather have 10 or 15?

id take 10, i can get the player i really want thats is left at 10 but if the players gone at 15, it messes up your plan

theuuord
01-07-2009, 07:31 PM
you can negotiate money to the way you both agree and if you cant, you trade the rights to someone else for another cheaper player from the draft you still like

would you rather have 10 or 15?

id take 10, i can get the player i really want thats is left at 10 but if the players gone at 15, it messes up your plan

That's not how rookie contracts work. Your logic is completely incorrect.

The difference between 10 and 15 is significant because the only thing at play between 10 and 15 is the quality of players. Contracts play no role. (well, a minimal one, but nothing that would cause a major difference.) The difference between ~25 and the first pick of the second round is significant because of how contracts are structured between first and second rounders.

For instance, Pekovic was considered a top-5 prospect by a lot of people but he wasn't going to get drafted in the first round because he would have to be guaranteed a contract if he was, or the pick would be wasted. Since Pekovic might play in Serbia for a few years, he was passed on by everyone in the league until the second round came, when Minnesota got him ASAP.

I suggest you research a little more into the financial aspect of signing and dealing with rookies.

HiphopRelated
01-07-2009, 07:44 PM
worst draft since 2000 anyway

picks that late don't matter

BkOriginalOne
01-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't understand why they give a 1st rd. But the deal is okay. I'm guessing they were after Joe smith and had to settle. Petro can be good pickup as he will virtually be the 5th big in rotation (nene, kmart, birdman, balkman, petro)

I have to believe that another deal is coming - maybe Kleiza?

Raps18-19 Champ
01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
That's not how rookie contracts work. Your logic is completely incorrect.

The difference between 10 and 15 is significant because the only thing at play between 10 and 15 is the quality of players. Contracts play no role. (well, a minimal one, but nothing that would cause a major difference.) The difference between ~25 and the first pick of the second round is significant because of how contracts are structured between first and second rounders.

For instance, Pekovic was considered a top-5 prospect by a lot of people but he wasn't going to get drafted in the first round because he would have to be guaranteed a contract if he was, or the pick would be wasted. Since Pekovic might play in Serbia for a few years, he was passed on by everyone in the league until the second round came, when Minnesota got him ASAP.

I suggest you research a little more into the financial aspect of signing and dealing with rookies.

I know but the player you want could be gone by the end of first round if they projected as late first

#1Mavericksfan
01-07-2009, 07:53 PM
The Nuggets really needed a big man so that's why they made the trade.

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:05 PM
ok, so you trade a first rounder and a backup pg for a ****** center and a 2nd rounder? makes 0 sense

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:05 PM
well actually, it makes sense if there is another trade

KB24PG16
01-07-2009, 08:16 PM
1st round pick for him wow nuggets whos there gm isiah

COLH
01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
that's pretty sad for Chucky. Karl was even saying that he might start him in place of 'Melo's absence because of Chucky's attitude on practice. Anyways, is that Johan Petro guy any good?

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:24 PM
nope not at all

oldenpolynice
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Why would you trade atkins AND a first round pick for a bad player?

The Nuggets must not put much stock in the rookie crop this year. Goes to show you how much of a motivating factor staying under the luxury cap is.

DitchDat
01-07-2009, 08:36 PM
not really a significant trade

superkegger
01-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Atkins is worth less than nothing, and they traded their first round pick in 08 for cash, and they traded marcus camby for a 2nd rounder.

How is it not evident to you people that the Nuggets are all about not going over the luxury tax? That's all this move is.

Great move by the Thunder to pick up another 09 first rounder, they not have 3, and could make a move to get another high pick. Sam Presti is a smart dude.

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:44 PM
thunder are making the right moves in the season, but they are really not cashing in on their draft picks, once they start doing that they can start doing well. they have had a couple good one swith green and durant but guys like sene and petro are just bad picks

superkegger
01-07-2009, 08:55 PM
thunder are making the right moves in the season, but they are really not cashing in on their draft picks, once they start doing that they can start doing well. they have had a couple good one swith green and durant but guys like sene and petro are just bad picks

Presti didn't make those picks, his first picks were Durant and trading Ray Ray to the Celtics for essentially Jeff Green.

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:57 PM
i never said it was him.

davg31
01-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Reading some of the posts this deal is starting to make more sense. Good deal for OC tho. Clears another big man for that guy they got from Russia to get a bunch of playing time.

NBAkYD
01-07-2009, 09:03 PM
About as smart as trading Camby

IBleedPurple
01-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Couple of reasons for the Nuggets, some of which have been named.
-Nuggets needed to dump salary to get under the luxury tax
-Being under the luxury tax will allow for other trades
-They needed a big to give Nene rest
-The difference between the picks will be less than 8 spots, while the pay difference is huge
-Nuggets have no need for Chucky Atkins with Billups and Anthony Carter

superkegger
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
About as smart as trading Camby

Yeah, because the Clippers made out like bandits there, Camby is rocking it, while the nuggets suck now and Nene hasn't stepped up at all and played fantastic. Oh wait...........

theuuord
01-07-2009, 09:49 PM
I know but the player you want could be gone by the end of first round if they projected as late first

oookay you're really not getting this.

blackjack_119
01-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't know why anyone is trying to make sense of this trade from a basketball point of view. This trade was all about the luxury tax. Moving Chucky Atkins to get under the cap.

Owners are willing to give up their late first round picks for the amount of money they save. Heck, teams sell their picks for $3M cash. Getting under the luxury tax and shedding a $3.4M contract is much more valuable.

Chalk this up the a bad "basketball" trade for Denver, but a smart "financial" trade for Denver. The fact that they could also get back a player that has a slight possibility of filling a team need is gravy. At the end of the day, Denver would have traded Atkins and a #1 pick for ME if it meant that they would be under the luxury tax.

Sixerlover
01-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Got under the lux tax, AND don't have to give a player a guaranteed contract when the pick difference will only be like 5 picks. Great trade from an owners standpoint.

Chronz
01-07-2009, 11:31 PM
LOL a few weeks ago alot of members were calling the trade thread someone posted stupid because it had the nuggets trading for Joe Smith with their first rounder