PDA

View Full Version : Brady could begin season on PUP List

TheRedMarauder
01-07-2009, 02:57 PM
NBCSports.com's Tom Curran believes Tom Brady (ACL, MCL surgery) could start next season on the PUP list.

If Brady goes on Physically Unable to Perform, he won't be eligible to play until Week 7 in 2009. We're so far from training camp, that this must be considered highly informed speculation. But Brady's slow recovery, in Curran's eyes, makes it far more likely for the Patriots to franchise Cassel and keep both quarterbacks for 2009 rather than trade Cassel.

rotoworld

mc6796
01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
NBCSports.com's Tom Curran believes Tom Brady (ACL, MCL surgery) could start next season on the PUP list.

If Brady goes on Physically Unable to Perform, he won't be eligible to play until Week 7 in 2009. We're so far from training camp, that this must be considered highly informed speculation. But Brady's slow recovery, in Curran's eyes, makes it far more likely for the Patriots to franchise Cassel and keep both quarterbacks for 2009 rather than trade Cassel.

rotoworld

I respect Tom alot and love listening to him on weei, but this peice proves that all the Brady talk is crap. Basically this article is a statement as to why the Pats should franchise Cassel but in no way is a statment on Brady's health. Tom, who has good connections, isn't even trying to say a source gave him info. He is openly admitting that it is all speculation and completely his opinion.

MVPedroia
01-07-2009, 04:49 PM
I still have faith that Tom will be fine by season's start.

Wake's Fastball
01-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Would perhaps be the worst possible scenario... do we really want a quarterback battle midseason?

Red_Sox_89
01-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Would perhaps be the worst possible scenario... do we really want a quarterback battle midseason?

That's what I'm thinking... I mean, it worked for the Eagles when they sat Mcnabb, but they talked about it a lot on tv. Because it was so strange. I say whoever starts on opening day, plays til they don't play well. Even if that means we don't play Brady when he is able to play. If we trade Cassell then it could mean playing Kevin O'Connell. I know that doesn't sound like a great season, but it's what I think should happen. Switching quarterbacks halfway through the season can hurt team morale.

flyanhawayan
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
I would rather get draft picks for cassel save the 14 million and play kevin or doug flutie or whoever for the first 7 weeks ( If brady starts the season on PUP list). If Josh McDaniels and Belichick can turn a dude that didn't start a game since he was in high school I have faith that Kevin who was nasty at San Diego St. would fit in just fine around a group of wide receiver superstars. And the extra money could solidify the secondary or pick up a big name FA.

jcphik
01-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Yes! IN CASSEL WE TRUST!!!!

ProPoster
01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I would rather get draft picks for cassel save the 14 million and play kevin or doug flutie or whoever for the first 7 weeks ( If brady starts the season on PUP list). If Josh McDaniels and Belichick can turn a dude that didn't start a game since he was in high school I have faith that Kevin who was nasty at San Diego St. would fit in just fine around a group of wide receiver superstars. And the extra money could solidify the secondary or pick up a big name FA.

That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea. By the start of the season i think O'Connell should be very familiar with the system enough to start. It seems like a better idea to invest cassel's money into the defense and give O'connell a shot at QB.

Super.
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM

just what i was thinking

futureheisman
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I really hope he is not put on the PUP list.

MilledgeGomez
01-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I think what Felger said on Sports Tonight makes the most sense. Trade Cassel get some picks and cross your fingers Brady is ready to go next season

The Intimidator
01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I think what Felger said on Sports Tonight makes the most sense. Trade Cassel get some picks and cross your fingers Brady is ready to go next season

I wouldn't give Felger too much credit for that. That's what a lot of people have said they expect the Pats to do. I do agree though, that seems to be the best course of action.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-08-2009, 07:39 PM
Brady will be fine and ready for opening day 2009. Cassel will be traded for picks.

Red_Sox_89
01-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Brady will be fine and ready for opening day 2009. Cassel will be traded for picks.

God I hope you're right. I miss TFB

MVPedroia
01-09-2009, 01:50 AM
trade Cassel now while his value is high.....we still gots Mr. O'Connel

Red_Sox_89
01-09-2009, 02:21 AM
trade Cassel now while his value is high.....we still gots Mr. O'Connel

:nod:

bagwell368
01-09-2009, 04:34 PM
count on it, we need a smokescreen for the franchise/trade thing to work.

kazzy4080
01-12-2009, 03:47 PM
i had a dream bout the TB cassel situation. I dont know why i dream bout the patriots but anyway for some reason in my dream TB was actually a wide receiver for his first two years (and he was dirty as a WR) and then he became a quarterback. So the pats just moved him back to wide receiver and had cassel be the QB. And we had a sick offense cause we had randy moss, wes welker, and tom brady (who remember is nasty as a receiver in my dream). but yeah i felt like my dream needed posting

BENTHELEE
01-12-2009, 04:14 PM
The patriots should franchise matt cassel, which they already have stated they will, and trade him before the draft for a few high picks. I would love to see Kevin O'Connell get snaps, I just think overall it wouldn't be good for the team to have two high priced quarterbacks on the team...it just doesn't make sense. I say go with Kevin O'Connell if Tom Brady Isn't ready, that way we save 15million on our salary cap and could pick up a 1st round pick which is what we need to get younger.

Patsfan56
01-14-2009, 12:13 AM
count on it, we need a smokescreen for the franchise/trade thing to work.

Damnit Bagwell, so many times when I am finally able to check out the forums, start from the beginning of each thread and by the time I get ready to comment there is what I was going to say, with your freakin avatar next to it.

Appearances gentlemen, we've got to keep up appearances for the Cassel trade... I still think SF would be a good place for him to go. Better than Detroit right now, anyway.

Petertherock
01-14-2009, 08:32 PM
I think we have to plan for life without Brady. If he comes back that's great. But this injury is a career ender for a lot of people. Joe Perry, guitarist for Aerosmith had the same injury Tom has. He started tour rehearsals last week and now his knee is fractured. Granted, Joe Perry is quite a bit older than Brady but how long before someone puts a cheap shot on Brady and his knee is gone again? If Brady is able to come back and play that's great...but we have to at least prepare for the possibility that Brady has played his last game.

BENTHELEE
01-15-2009, 02:44 AM
The only way that Cassel isn't traded is if Brady is out for the entire 2009 season, if Brady is out then they can save CAP space but if Brady will be ready by week7....we'll go with kevin O'Connell...THINK about it, we are the patriots, we are jewish when it comes to money

Super.
01-15-2009, 08:47 AM
id rather have Brady on the PUP list than on the IR.....

Patsfreak1776
01-15-2009, 04:52 PM
Keep Cassel...do you want to win or not? Keep Cassel. Cassel is the man now. Brady's day has passed. He had a good 8 years. It's over. It's Cassel's time now.Actually as long as BB is the coach I think anyone can excel at QB here. IF BB says O'Connell is ready then I believe it.

The Intimidator
01-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Keep Cassel...do you want to win or not? Keep Cassel. Cassel is the man now. Brady's day has passed. He had a good 8 years. It's over. It's Cassel's time now.Actually as long as BB is the coach I think anyone can excel at QB here. IF BB says O'Connell is ready then I believe it.

Lay off the ganja.

Super.
01-15-2009, 10:16 PM

this is what, ONE year removed from throwing 50 TD's on the highest scoring offense in NFL history?

yea...his day is up, trade 'im get cassel...yea that makes TOTAL SENSE

nasthemasta
01-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Trust me the Vikings would love that idea!!