PDA

View Full Version : Just What They Needed?

jzelenda
01-07-2009, 10:40 AM
A boost from an odd source in the Thrashers-Pens game:

The win came at a cost, though. Forward Ruslan Fedotenko left the game after a first-period fight with Atlanta's Colby Armstrong. Forward Pascal Dupuis left the game in the second period with an undisclosed injury.

Fedotenko is believed to have broken a bone in his right hand after delivering a punch to Armstrong's nose. The Penguins would not confirm the injury due to a policy that does not require teams to disclose the nature of injuries. Fedotenko is scheduled to have X-rays taken.

In just his second NHL fight, Fedotenko surprised a few teammates and his coach when he dropped his gloves and his helmet.

"I think Armstrong got more surprised than me," Penguins coach Michel Therrien joked.

Fedotenko gave the Penguins an extra boost when his punch knocked Armstrong - a former Penguin - to the ice just 1:27 into the game. Fedotenko left the game after the fight favoring his hand, but not before he left an impression on his teammates.

"I think we were ready from the start, but that sparked us a little bit," center Sidney Crosby said. "Definitely when you have an emotional start like that, it helps."

What do you guys think, is this they way the team should play every game? With an unexpected scrappiness? Or will this just be an isolated incident that sparked a drumming of a lousy Thrashers team? :confused:

If the whole team looks at this as a turning point in the season and plays everygame like this one, it's playoff time. If they slip back into their half-assery it's an early summer for them.

Do you think they will respond to this?

SidTheKid
01-07-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't think they should go into every game looking to get into fights but should play their game and focus. If the opportunity comes to spark the team, then yes I believe one of our guys should step up and light a fire under the team.

PittBeatWV
01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
If the whole team looks at this as a turning point in the season and plays everygame like this one, it's playoff time. If they slip back into their half-assery it's an early summer for them.

half-assery - GREAT PHRASE!!!! LOL :laugh:

I think they will respond to this loss, but losing 2 more top two line forwards won't help... though I haven't heard how serious the injuries to Fedotenko and Dupuis are yet today. Let's hope this is the beginning of a tear - it just sucks they go on the road for 3 games!!!

jzelenda
01-07-2009, 03:03 PM
I don't think they should go into every game looking to get into fights but should play their game and focus. If the opportunity comes to spark the team, then yes I believe one of our guys should step up and light a fire under the team.

I should expand a bit more on this. I meant more of a spitfire from players that are dubbed lazy and not living up to their potential. Fed was one that fell in that group and last night he decided that it was time to do something (besides getting the only points in about the last 5 games) Now Satan needs to stop sitting on his hands and light the lamp, Sid needs to chillaxe and fall into a leadership role besides a tantrum on a lowly Panther player, and put his skate up his teammates butts. Malkin, well, Malkin needs to step out of Sid's shadow like last year and get a hat trick every game... ok, that's really wishful thinking... but I think Fed's fight needs to awaken some of the players and lift them into the roles they're paid to do.

And Mad Max needs to go ape-shite like the Road Warrior we all love.

SidTheKid
01-07-2009, 03:57 PM
I should expand a bit more on this. I meant more of a spitfire from players that are dubbed lazy and not living up to their potential. Fed was one that fell in that group and last night he decided that it was time to do something (besides getting the only points in about the last 5 games) Now Satan needs to stop sitting on his hands and light the lamp, Sid needs to chillaxe and fall into a leadership role besides a tantrum on a lowly Panther player, and put his skate up his teammates butts. Malkin, well, Malkin needs to step out of Sid's shadow like last year and get a hat trick every game... ok, that's really wishful thinking... but I think Fed's fight needs to awaken some of the players and lift them into the roles they're paid to do.

And Mad Max needs to go ape-shite like the Road Warrior we all love.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying. Absolutely no excuse for some of these guys not playing hard and finding their roles.

ShaunRiching9
01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
i dont care hwo we do it i jsut want some more wins