PDA

View Full Version : NBA ReDraft Playoffs: Sacramento Kings vs LA Lakers - VOTE!

BlondeBomber41
01-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Sacramento Kings Have Homecourt Advantage

Sacramento Kings Lineup:

C-Shaquille O'Neal/Aaron Gray/Melvin Ely
PF-Drew Gooden/Brian Skinner
SF-Ron Artest/Jarvis Hayes
SG-Dwayne Wade/Marco Bellineli/Morris Almond
PG-Delonte West/Bobby Jackson

Los Angeles Lakers Lineup:

PG: Andre Miller - Anthony Carter - Tyronn Lue
SG: James Posey - Francisco Garcia - Eddie Jones
SF: Rashard Lewis - Matt Harpring
PF: Amare Stoudamire - Anderson Varejao
C: Kendrick Perkins - Dan Gadzuric

Sacramento Kings Writeup:

This matchup works very much in our favor due to the tempo of the game. The Lakers like to run, but the Kings are much more of a halfcourt oriented team and we have some of the best tempo-setters in the league in Shaq, Artest, and Dwayne Wade.

C-Shaquille O'Neal vs. Kendrick Perkins: Perk is a young up and comer with a ring to his name and he's a solid defender. But even in old age, no one can guard Shaq effectively one on one. The Big Fella is having a stellar season and would likely put up his season numbers or better for the majority of the series regardless of Perkins's defense. At the other end, Perk is an improving offensive threat, but not a 20 point scorer or even close by any means.
Edge: Kings

PF-Drew Gooden vs. Amare Stoudemire: SHAQ WILL GUARD AMARE. Amare's a stud in the post and one of the best scorers in the league inside, but Shaq is an immovable object. His defense and with guys like Wade and Artest coming over to help would probably keep Amare to his season stats or lower for the a big portion of the series. Amare's not a good defender, so Gooden would get his 11-13 points against with him little trouble.
Edge: Lakers

SF-Ron Artest vs. Rashard Lewis: Lewis is a good scorer and an excellent shooter, but he'd be limited by Artest to just shooting in this series. When he's not shooting, Lewis is a good slasher and Artest is one of the hardest players in the leauge to get around. On offense, Lewis has the length but nowhere near the strength to defend Artest when he posts him up or drives in on him.

SG-Dwayne Wade vs. James Posey: Posey's a top notch role player and a solid defender, but Dwayne Wade is just that. Dwayne Wade. Posey's much more of a SF than a SG anyway and Wade wouldn't necessarily go wild in every game, but with the advantages we have elsewhere, we won't need him to. He'll have some 30 point games though.

PG-Delonte West vs. Andre Miller: Miller's the better playmaker and scorer while West is the better defender and shooter. Wade takes care of most of the playmaking on this team anyway and each of these guys couldn't contain the other for a 7 game series so it's basically a wash. They'd each get theirs against the other.
Edge: Even

Kings bench vs. Lakers bench: Our bench is not our strong point, but the Lakers bench isn't very noteworthy either. I'll give them a slight advantage.
Edge: Lakers

The LA Lakers didnt do a writeup.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I like the Lakers frontcourt over the Kings frontcourt. And while the wing battle is won by the Kings, the PG spot and the bench favors the Lakers IMO. Close series for sure, but the fact that I think Amare would dominate who ever guards him, and that while wade is spectacular, they can throw more at him with posey, harpring, miller and garcia. Plus with the rather pedestrian play of ron ron this year, I'm not sure who the second option on that team is.

BlondeBomber41
01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Only thing I will say is that Delonte West is not equal to Andre Miller. That part of the writeup cracked me up. West doesnt even play PG anymore with Mo Williams in town.

YOURPAPI420
01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
lakers.... by a blowout.......the way i see it.... to much scoring and defense on lakers side

hate it or love it

LA_Raiders
01-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Sac town by far, LAs team could have been better...

clehmun
01-06-2009, 07:22 PM
sorry all i wasn't available to do a writeup. but here's my thoughts on the matchup.
our two best defenders comes in the position of their two best offensive threats. Posey on Wade, and Perkins on Shaq. While they simply have no answer for Amare Stoudemire.

no disrespect to the kings writeup, i like their team a lot as well. but here are my respond.

perkins vs shaq - on first glance, shaq does have the advantage. but how many minutes can shaq handle? not too many centers can stop shaq 1 on 1, but if theres anyone who can limit him, it's someone with size, strength, and toughness... someone like perkins. How effective will Shaq at this age without a good PF beside him, and more importantly, without shooters in the starting lineup to pass to? artest, wade, and gooden are not great shooters. their only 3 point threat is west. this will allow the lakers to double team if needed without getting much punishment from the 3s. however, we feel perkins can handle shaq in the post by himself.

stoudemire vs gooden - there's not too much to write about. everyone who knows basketball will know amare will dominant gooden in this matchup. and if the kings want to put shaq on amare (not sure why), it'll be even worst. shaq will get into foul trouble the whole series. shaq is strong, but amare is too versatile on offense, if he can't power you, he'll go around you every time. shaq is way too slow to cover amare. on the defensive end, gooden will not be the focus point of the kings offense, allowing amare to save energy for the offensive end. gooden is a decent offensive player, but will not cause too much trouble for amare.

lewis vs artest - i like artest and his defense, we admit lewis might have trouble with him. but that's only if they do not double team amare. if they don't, amare will go off for 30+ points every night. if they do, lewis and posey will be open for 3s all game long. also as good as a player artest is, he is at his best when he's the first option on offense. on this kings team, he'll be 3rd. i'm not saying he'll complain or disappear in games. but it's something to think about.

posey vs wade - the kings' number one option, matches up with our best defender. posey is one of the best defenders in the world. without him, there might not be a championship in boston last year. he helped him contain joe johnson, lebron james, hamilton/prince, and kobe. posey will make life difficult for wade. we're not saying he can shut down wade... but wade will not be able to do what he did against the mavs in the finals.

miller vs west - i'm really not sure how the kings can think this is an even matchup. is miller that underrated? west is a great shooter. and andre miller is better than west in everything else. west is a shooting guard playing the point for the kings, and west is not the good defender the kings think he is. miller has a very efficient offense game. he can be a pass first PG, or a scorer depending on what the team asks of him. this matchup is clearly in the lakers' favour. andre miller can make the whole team better on offense, while west is pretty much limited to shooting 3s.

ShaunRiching9
01-06-2009, 08:01 PM
kings by far

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I think it's definitely got to be the lakers, I like the mix of talent that they have.

fresh prince
01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I think the Kings have the edge in this one... More offensive fire power and a deeper bench
especially with bigs. I also think the Lakers would be better served to start Fransisco Garcia.. dude is better than Posey

But why when doing these re drafts do people determine the winner based on head to head matchups?!

Its an amateur way to ***** the better team. For instance heading into last years finals The head to head would have looked like:

Fisher > Rondo (Rondo is clearly better than Fish Now)
Kobe > R. Allen
Radmonavic< Pierce
Odom< KG
Gasol> Perkins

Lakers Bench > Celtics Bench

We all know what what happened. And any smart fan saw it coming the Lakers while having the better individual talent didnt have the personnel needing to combat the Celtics physicality. AND THATS WHY THEY LOST

I think you guys should take a broader approach to figure this out instead of going Perkins vs. Shaq we win..it just seems kinda sophomoric.

Catfish1314
01-06-2009, 08:15 PM
miller vs west - i'm really not sure how the kings can think this is an even matchup. is miller that underrated? west is a great shooter. and andre miller is better than west in everything else. west is a shooting guard playing the point for the kings, and west is not the good defender the kings think he is. miller has a very efficient offense game. he can be a pass first PG, or a scorer depending on what the team asks of him. this matchup is clearly in the lakers' favour. andre miller can make the whole team better on offense, while west is pretty much limited to shooting 3s.

Did I ever say West was a "good" defender? No. I said he was better than Miller, who is just silly defensively.

Wade does the same for our team that Miller does for yours. Production wise, you can say Miller beats West. He does. But it's not a pivotal matchup in the series, because our backcourt production would still be far superior. West gets 12 and 4 while Miller gets 16 and 6. West shoots nearly 40% from 3 while Miller isn't much of a 3 point threat at all. And you can make the argument that West only gets that because he plays with LeBron, which could very well be true but he's playing with Wade on this team so that wouldn't mean anything. That's why I called it even.

Catfish1314
01-06-2009, 08:18 PM
I think you guys should take a broader approach to figure this out instead of going Perkins vs. Shaq we win..it just seems kinda sophomoric.

It is, but it's what's easiest on the eyes for voters. I'd be happy to give a less sophomoric explanation as to why I think our team (Kings) would win, if you like.

cambovenzi
01-06-2009, 08:21 PM
i was going to go with the kings, but their bench is non-existant.
thats not a good thing when shaq can only play half the game.
amare and perkins is pretty nice. not sure how shaq is going to cover amare..
and while wade is better than posey by a ton, miller is better than west.
and rashard lewis is alot of scoring too.
artest is a good defender, but his offense usnt there. definitely edge for lakers.
i think it could go either way, but in a 7 game series, i think the kings would take it the majority of the time.
depth, health, stamina.

fresh prince
01-06-2009, 08:25 PM
It is, but it's what's easiest on the eyes for voters. I'd be happy to give a less sophomoric explanation as to why I think our team (Kings) would win, if you like.

No thats cool I think you did a good job laying that out. You got my Vote

I just have seen these done really well without the > < thing

Catfish1314
01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Plus with the rather pedestrian play of ron ron this year, I'm not sure who the second option on that team is.

Why couldn't it be Shaq who gets 17 a game? I realize fatigue and playing time can be an issue for him, but he's been getting more minutes lately and putting up the kind of numbers that correlate to those that he was putting up before in more limited minutes.

_Sn1P3r_
01-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I thin Sac-town wins this. I think they have a good balance of O and D and I like their bench.

SouljahPhil...
01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
I pick the kings...

clehmun
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
i respect everyone's opinion, but i don't understand how some voters can say they like the king's bench more than the lakers.

gadzuric is a good backup center, great shot blocker and rebounder. Given minutes, he can be an effective player. just take a look at the games this year where bogut did not play.

varejao is a great energy big, another guy we can throw at shaq. he was one of the more important role players in the cav's finals run. and take a look at him now with Big Z injured.

harpring is the tough guy every team needs. he brings leadership and experience.

garcia is out offensive spark off the bench. this guy can shoot the ball very while, and can do a bit of everything on offense.

anthony carter is a great backup PG. there's a reason why denver started him at PG instead of AI before the trade. he also brings experience and leadership.

IMO the king's bench is very weak, and even they admit that themselves. i'm not trying to say our bench will decide the outcome of this series... but i just can't understand how a few voters actually list the king's bench as one of the reasons they voted for that team.

greg_ory_2005
01-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I say the Kings.

lorenz00
01-06-2009, 10:27 PM
i pick the kings over the la

astrosmaniac
01-06-2009, 10:44 PM
i say kings, but its very close

superkegger
01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I think the Kings have the edge in this one... More offensive fire power and a deeper bench
especially with bigs. I also think the Lakers would be better served to start Fransisco Garcia.. dude is better than Posey

But why when doing these re drafts do people determine the winner based on head to head matchups?!

Its an amateur way to ***** the better team. For instance heading into last years finals The head to head would have looked like:

Fisher > Rondo (Rondo is clearly better than Fish Now)
Kobe > R. Allen
Radmonavic< Pierce
Odom< KG
Gasol> Perkins

Lakers Bench > Celtics Bench

We all know what what happened. And any smart fan saw it coming the Lakers while having the better individual talent didnt have the personnel needing to combat the Celtics physicality. AND THATS WHY THEY LOST

I totally understand what you're saying, and I totally agree.

BUT

Not a whole lot of people would:
A. Read a write up like that AND be convinced by it.
B. Agree with your assumptions and team philosophies etc about chemistry and offensive and defensive schemes.

I agree that saying Wade > Posey or whatever isn't the best way to determine who the better team is, but let's be totally honest, the majority of PSD NBA forum people are going to look at the starting lineup, see who has better players at each position and then vote.

Why couldn't it be Shaq who gets 17 a game? I realize fatigue and playing time can be an issue for him, but he's been getting more minutes lately and putting up the kind of numbers that correlate to those that he was putting up before in more limited minutes.

That's true. He has been good, but I can't find it right now, but the difference between shaq on back to backs and with a day of rest and 2 days of rest, the difference is ridiculous.

hotpotato1092
01-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Wait, how is West as good as Miller again?

superkegger
01-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Wait, how is West as good as Miller again?

he's not.

Catfish1314
01-07-2009, 01:04 AM
he's not.

And no one ever said he was. I just said the matchup was even. I already explained why.

rhino17
01-07-2009, 01:06 AM
I like the Lakers frontcourt over the Kings frontcourt. And while the wing battle is won by the Kings, the PG spot and the bench favors the Lakers IMO. Close series for sure, but the fact that I think Amare would dominate who ever guards him, and that while wade is spectacular, they can throw more at him with posey, harpring, miller and garcia. Plus with the rather pedestrian play of ron ron this year, I'm not sure who the second option on that team is.

Pedestrian play? Is that why he is the only player on the Rockets that gives a damn and is playing well?

Kings Faithful
01-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Kings pretty easily

superkegger
01-07-2009, 01:54 AM
Pedestrian play? Is that why he is the only player on the Rockets that gives a damn and is playing well?

Never said he didn't care.

He's shooting a career low 37.3%, second lowest PER, apg and ppg since 02-03, yeah, I'd say as far as Ron Artest goes, this isn't that great of a year for him from what I can tell.

king4day
01-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I LOVE this LA team.

Starting lineups favor the Lakers.

They have 3pt shooting in Posey and Lewis. The Kings do not have a pure 3pt shot.
Perkins would struggle against Shaq in guarding him, but he is tough and will bang with him.
Miller is capable of being a pass first PG and driving to dish to the wings.
Amare is Amare and Wade is Wade.

I like the Laker bench far more than the Kings.

clehmun
01-07-2009, 08:24 PM
now that series over, congrats to the kings, good luck in later rounds.
thanks! i'm looking forward to participating in other redrafts in the future!

Catfish1314
01-07-2009, 09:47 PM
now that series over, congrats to the kings, good luck in later rounds.
thanks! i'm looking forward to participating in other redrafts in the future!

Thanks. You did the best job I've seen in a ReDraft for a first-timer. Hope to see you around next game. :)