PDA

View Full Version : With Lebron's recent antics...

sp1derm00
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Does he lose any love from the refs?

He is obviously a player favored by the refs because of his mega-stardom, but with his recent issue with being called for his "crab dribble" (read: travel) does he get looked at during games with closer scrutiny? Does he get a call or two per game less than he normally would for what he said about the refs?

Reason I'm asking is that if I'm part of the referee community, I would take offense to what he said about the officiating and how he thinks he can get away with a travel by calling it another name. This is me personally.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
It shouldn't change anything. Refs have to have thick skin. If something like this miffs you as a ref, then you need a new career. Reffing needs to be unbiased and LeBron is far from the first player or coach to criticize the refs. I doubt they care much what lebron thinks, nor should they.

prodigy
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Does he lose any love from the refs?

He is obviously a player favored by the refs because of his mega-stardom, but with his recent issue with being called for his "crab dribble" (read: travel) does he get looked at during games with closer scrutiny? Does he get a call or two per game less than he normally would for what he said about the refs?

Reason I'm asking is that if I'm part of the referee community, I would take offense to what he said about the officiating and how he thinks he can get away with a travel by calling it another name. This is me personally.

The refs in this game were a joke. Like i said in another thread, the charge on lebron where mike james clearly jumped in front of him was bull. Then the travel calls on mo and hickson where they were clearly pushed was bull.

after the refs review that game im sure there will be phone calls to lebron by the refs saying sorry.

do me a favor, ask refs why they hate cleveland so much. Sure the cleveland teams have not been real good in a long time, but is that a reason to be bias against them? They need to knock it off.

Always seems like when a cleveland team starts to do well, they lose a key game because of a bad call by the refs.

S-Dot
01-06-2009, 04:19 PM
This recent thing against the wizards will change nothing. refs are paid to be refs. kobe led the league in technical fouls last season if i recall correctly; refs don't show 100% favortism. stars will get their one or two calls, but these "antics" won't change anything for him.

oldenpolynice
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm of the opinion that you will see a slight change in thought about LeBron from the refs. I think you're right, this whining about the crab dribble puts some extra attention on the subject of the amount of calls/non-calls he's getting.

Eventually, it will even back out. But for the next month or so, I expect him to get slightly fewer calls. Referees are human. They don't like to be called out in the press.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 04:24 PM
The refs in this game were a joke. Like i said in another thread, the charge on lebron where mike james clearly jumped in front of him was bull. Then the travel calls on mo and hickson where they were clearly pushed was bull.

after the refs review that game im sure there will be phone calls to lebron by the refs saying sorry.

do me a favor, ask refs why they hate cleveland so much. Sure the cleveland teams have not been real good in a long time, but is that a reason to be bias against them? They need to knock it off.

Always seems like when a cleveland team starts to do well, they lose a key game because of a bad call by the refs.

Typical.

There's always some fans from every team that feel no matter what, the refs have something against your team, and of course, you have some evidence from every game that you can point to. You know what, bad calls happen, and they happen to every team. It's a hard game to officiate, especially at the NBA level. Am I happy with the bad/missed calls, no, but as a whole the refs do a pretty good job. Quit whining about the calls.

JordansBulls
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
The ref would end up like Joey Crawford and suspended for a year.

sp1derm00
01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I do think that refs are human too, and calling out refs like this is just a bad decision.

I don't know if ANYONE can help but pay closer attention to Lebron after comments like that. You might notice a palming violation that you normally wouldn't... or normally wouldn't call. You might ignore a small bump or two. You definitely would take a look at his "crab dribble" a little closer.

It's just something I wouldn't want to do after a game, I would deal with it like the majority of teams deal with it. Make a small, backhanded comment about the reffing in the post-game interview and be done with it.

sp1derm00
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
The ref would end up like Joey Crawford and suspended for a year.

Which ref? The one that called Lebron on the crab dribble or any ref that would pay a little closer attention to Lebron during the span of a game?

LA_Raiders
01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
They will pay more attention to him now, ala Shaq...Remember???