PDA

View Full Version : Julius Erving - Just how good was he?

JordansBulls
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Obviously the man was considered a top 10-12 player all time and he was an alltime great. However, in the "NBA" he missed a lot of time in his prime. He didn't first play in the NBA until he was 26 years old and When he did win a title, he won as the 2nd best player on the team behind Moses Malone.

My question is: Was Dr J good enough to lead a team to the title multiple times (2x) as the best player on a team in the "NBA"?

Like had he been on those Celtics teams from the time he came into the NBA instead of Bird, would the Celtics still had won 2x or more?

Or better yet, had he been on those Bucks teams in the 80's would he had lead them to titles as the Best player on the team?

Thoughts!!!

I bring this up because many times people may underrate him and say he was just a dunker or something, but if anyone knows he did darn well with the Sixers in the early 80's with no Moses Malone around. He took his team to the finals in 1980 and 1982 and in 1981 took the C's 7.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Dr. J is probably one of the most underrated players of all time IMO. I don't know what he would have done in a different situation, nor do I care. He was an incredible talent, fun to watch, and just an incredible athlete. He is truly one of the greats.

GregOden#1
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Dr. J is probably one of the most underrated players of all time IMO. I don't know what he would have done in a different situation, nor do I care. He was an incredible talent, fun to watch, and just an incredible athlete. He is truly one of the greats.

Even that underrates him.

Missing56&33
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
No doubt he was an incredible player. When I started following basketball I was a Celtics fan so I didn't care for Dr. J that much but i rooted for him in the 1983 championship vs the Lakers and was happy for him. He slowed down after that... unfortunately for Charles Barkey Dr. J was to old to help Barkey get his championship. :)

superkegger
01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Even that underrates him.

Which just shows what a baller he really was, when one of the people that have an appreciation for his game can't fully express how good he was. :cool:

Missing56&33
01-06-2009, 04:19 PM

I dont think he is underrated, hes a hall of famer, he has multiple championships and hes acknowledged as one to the top 50 greatest players of all times and hes given the respect he deserves.

DrDEADalready
01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I have no Idea how good he would be. this was before my time. i don't remember him.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I dont think he is underrated, hes a hall of famer, he has multiple championships and hes acknowledged as one to the top 50 greatest players of all times and hes given the respect he deserves.

He's given the proper respect by the establishment, but most of the time, when we talk about the greats, we hear about Big O, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Wilt, West, (all rightfully so too) but usually Dr. J is left out of the conversation, and he may just be the second best sg, ever. I just think that most fans aren't really aware of his greatness.

Westbrook36
01-06-2009, 04:37 PM
He's given the proper respect by the establishment, but most of the time, when we talk about the greats, we hear about Big O, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Wilt, West, (all rightfully so too) but usually Dr. J is left out of the conversation, and he may just be the second best sg, ever. I just think that most fans aren't really aware of his greatness.

Completely Agree.

GregOden#1
01-06-2009, 04:39 PM
He's not a shooting guard, and if he was he'd be a clear #2 as West is IMO a PG. He's a forward, and he's the second greatest behind Bird. He's also the second greatest player of the 1970's, and the line between him and the #1 (Kareem) gets really blurry after about 1975.

Spiderfox
01-06-2009, 05:13 PM
I remember watching him DOMINATE play in the ABA and NBA.. The Doctor was the biggest draw and thrilling to watch.. He's truly the pioneer of playing above the rim.. David Thompson (Denver), George Iceman Gervin, Moses Malone.. The ABA was a fun, terrific league with loads of talent and merging into the NBA took that league to a new level never before seen.. Doctor J was THE MAN.. Here's what Wikopedia says about him..

Erving helped legitimize the now-defunct American Basketball Association (ABA). Much as some players are considered "the team," Dr. J was considered "the league." He was the most well-known player in the ABA when the ABA-NBA merger joined it with the National Basketball Association (NBA) after the 1976 season.

Erving won three championships, four Most Valuable Player Awards, and three scoring titles while playing with the ABA's Virginia Squires and New York Nets and the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers. He is the fifth-highest scorer in professional basketball history, with 30,026 points (NBA and ABA combined). He is well-known for slam dunking from the free throw line in Slam Dunk Contests.

Erving was named to the NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time team and in 1993 was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. In 2004, he was inducted into the Nassau County Sports Hall of Fame. Many consider him among the most spectacular basketballers ever, and one of the best dunkers. His signature dunk was the "slam" dunk, since incorporated into the vernacular and basic skill set of the game, in the same manner as the "cross-over" dribble and the "no look" pass.

da wood
01-06-2009, 05:27 PM
i know that he was jordan before jordan was and he was in the dunk contest when he was well over 30 years old.

mjt20mik
01-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I remember seeing videos of him punching Bird, while his teammates were holding Bird back.
:)

mjt20mik
01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Repeat Post/

da wood
01-06-2009, 05:51 PM
they got away eith that kind of stuff back then. i think he only got a tech for that too.

Chronz
01-07-2009, 03:39 AM
I dont understand the topic, specifically how you would question the ability of ANY top 10 player, why wouldnt he be able to lead his team to multiple titles? Isnt the point of calling them one of the best that they get the benefit of the doubt?

You did bring up a good tidbit though, Julius vs Moses if both were in their primes who would be the teams MVP then?

Voodoo Alchemy
01-07-2009, 03:58 AM
The Sixers were my favorite team growing up. I used to get pissed when the Lakers and Celtics used to wax the Sixers...until they got Fo-Fo-Fo Moses Malone. Andrew Toney was just killing everyone and Mo Cheeks was just steady. However, I always felt Bernard King was better than Dr. J.

Lakersfan2483
01-07-2009, 03:59 AM
Obviously the man was considered a top 10-12 player all time and he was an alltime great. However, in the "NBA" he missed a lot of time in his prime. He didn't first play in the NBA until he was 26 years old and When he did win a title, he won as the 2nd best player on the team behind Moses Malone.

My question is: Was Dr J good enough to lead a team to the title multiple times (2x) as the best player on a team in the "NBA"?

Like had he been on those Celtics teams from the time he came into the NBA instead of Bird, would the Celtics still had won 2x or more?

Or better yet, had he been on those Bucks teams in the 80's would he had lead them to titles as the Best player on the team?

Thoughts!!!

I bring this up because many times people may underrate him and say he was just a dunker or something, but if anyone knows he did darn well with the Sixers in the early 80's with no Moses Malone around. He took his team to the finals in 1980 and 1982 and in 1981 took the C's 7.

It's tough to answer that question, who would his team be matched up against? Obviously, he's an all-time great, but it would depend on his supporting cast and who he was facing.

JordansBulls
01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
You did bring up a good tidbit though, Julius vs Moses if both were in their primes who would be the teams MVP then?

That's what I am trying to get at. Would Julius had been the best player on the team or would Moses had been?

innovator
01-07-2009, 09:23 AM
if he is a SG then he is the 3rd best SG behind mj,kobe and if he is a SF he is 2nd best behind bird

JordansBulls
01-07-2009, 10:43 PM
if he is a SG then he is the 3rd best SG behind mj,kobe and if he is a SF he is 2nd best behind bird

He was clearly a SF.

beau_boy04
01-08-2009, 03:22 AM
I'd compare Dr. J to Josh Smith 3.0 meaning same hoops, but way better range, passing skills, intangibles, IQ, etc etc

Ender
01-08-2009, 03:39 AM
I grew up with Dr. J and Mike Schmidt, the 2 greatest players ot ever play their position. Without Julius there would have been no Michael. He was a complete player. He boarded, passed well, and could obviously run the court. He retired after averaging 19.2ppg and could have played another 2-3 years if he wanted to chase the scoring record, but he bowed out with class knowing his best days were behind him, like Schmidt.

You younger guys really missed a pioneer, the first skywalker. YouTube some of his stuff from the 70's, ESPECIALLY some of his ridiculous dunks over Bill Walton in the '79 Finals and you'll see that nobody, not even Jordan, has his combinaiton of grace and power.

In '86 the 76ers blew it all up, trading the #1 overall pick for Roy Hinson and trading Malone for Jeff Ruland (plus other parts). Had they stood pat the '86 76ers would have been;

PG- Mo Cheeks
SG- Julius Erving
C- Moses Malone
PF- Brad Daugherty
SF- Charles Barkley

That squad would have won 1-2 titles together. Maybe more.