PDA

View Full Version : McGrady shows some fight

oldenpolynice
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
His game may not be on point this season, but McGrady still has the swagger of a top-tier player. Despite all of the bad press his game is getting, McGrady's recent comments (http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/01/06/mcgrady-shows-some-fight/)show that he's not going to lay down and quit.

What do you think? Will McGrady be back to top form next season when he's healthy?

S-Dot
01-06-2009, 03:48 PM
McGrady has talked alot. He also hasnt won a playoff series while in his prime. The only fight McGrady has is the one he shoved into Steve Nash this year during the altercation with the Suns. He will never be back to top form, the type of player he was in 2003. He will always be entertaining and was able to put the ball in the basket at will back in Orlando. He helped that franchise after they spent that money on Grant Hill, but the clock is unfortunately ticking on Lazy McGrady.

JordansBulls
01-06-2009, 03:52 PM
What do you mean next season? He has no reason to be hurt this season when on a team that is good enough to win it all.

I'm sorry, but I have to say this because Mcgrady lately has been getting on my nerves.

Seriously the excuses for this man's health has got to stop. No player getting 20+ million a year should be protected as much as he has been when he has never even won a playoff series.

DrDEADalready
01-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Not when he's healthy If he's healthy. He always has something wrong with him.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 03:55 PM
This proves nothing to me. He can talk all he wants, but until he shows up on the court, it means nothing. Talk is cheap.

oldenpolynice
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Not when he's healthy If he's healthy. He always has something wrong with him.

You're right, he's never at "full" health. But in the seasons that he has played 70+ games, he has always put up good numbers. That's what I expect next season, 70+ games played and a monster year (stat-wise).

S-Dot
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
You're right, he's never at "full" health. But in the seasons that he has played 70+ games, he has always put up good numbers. That's what I expect next season, 70+ games played and a monster year (stat-wise).

You can expect that...but it's not happening. He will have recurring back spasms after 10 games, not to mention the other injuries he encounters. He's playing for that contract next year, but I agree with Jordansbulls, this year isn't over. We haven't even reached all-star weekend yet.

sp1derm00
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
McGrady isn't the kind of player that can play through injuries. Some people can, some can't.

However, when he does get back to relatively good health, he definitely will play back up to his talents.

There are a couple ways of looking at this. McGrady has played this season and obviously had problems playing through his injuries. He did try though which is more than some players are capable of doing. You could call him a baby for not stepping up and playing through the injuries like you'd expect from a superstar of his caliber.

In the end, we are not Tmac, we don't know what kind of pain he's playing through when he's on the court, and he's obviously been plagued with bad health... from his knee, to his shoulder, to his back spasms. He's been unlucky, and I think we're expecting a little too much from him and putting unreasonable pressure on him to play through injuries he obviously can't play through.

JordansBulls
01-06-2009, 04:09 PM

Honestly living here in Houston, most people are tired of Mcgrady. They are tired of his shenanigans.

I understand you have to support a player at times, but when someone is getting paid as much as he is, there should be no excuse for why he is injured when he had all freaking summer to heal.

agobbi17
01-06-2009, 04:45 PM
His problems and injuries and missed games is pissing every one off. I went to the UTAH jazz double over time game with 250$ tickets rockin my mcgrady jersey and he didnt even show up. He hasnt played in the last 3 games i have been to in houston. And what do you know, Ron Artest comes out with a swolen ankle and wins the ball game. All us Rockets fans can hope for is that McGrady does come back and starts playing point forward because Ron Artest has that killer instinct that McGrady has slowly lost. Hopefully he can find it back.

ink
01-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Sorry, oldenpolynice, you lost me at "swagger". Why are there so many cliches in basketball?

Durant is hype
01-06-2009, 04:57 PM
This proves nothing to me. He can talk all he wants, but until he shows up on the court, it means nothing. Talk is cheap.

Thats why everyone could afford it.

LA_Raiders
01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Tmc is good but he won't be great again, all injuries has slowed the guy down....

Sorry Hou but TMc is almost done....

Jay22Redd
01-06-2009, 05:32 PM
lol i think he is done.

Wilson
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
It's his contract year next season isn't it? He'd better back up his words...

heyman321
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Honestly living here in Houston, most people are tired of Mcgrady. They are tired of his shenanigans.

I understand you have to support a player at times, but when someone is getting paid as much as he is, there should be no excuse for why he is injured when he had all freaking summer to heal.

Injuries aren't because he wants it. It happens. You blame him for having a back that and knees that are weak or have spasms? Having all summer doesn't do **** for healing for some conditions. Steve Nash's back spasms will never heal up during the summer, in fact it never will. It's a chronic condition. I don't blame McGrady for being injured. You can't "blame" someone for being injured, as long as he doesn't do it in some motorcycle or snowboarding **** off the court. When he's healthy he puts up good numbers. When he came back from injury ealier this season, he put up a triple double and I think close to 30 + points. Suck it up.

JordansBulls
01-06-2009, 06:45 PM
It's his contract year next season isn't it? He'd better back up his words...

How much you think someone will give him at 30 years old?

S.J.Basketball
01-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Talk is cheap.

oldenpolynice
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM

In the NBA, I doubt that anyone will overpay. Maybe the Mavs will make a run at him. They tend to like players of his reputation, old(er) ex-superstars.

Under MLB rules, though, he'd get an astronomical contract. Just another of the many reasons why I love the NBA so much more than MLB.

Lakersfan2483
01-06-2009, 08:02 PM
What do you mean next season? He has no reason to be hurt this season when on a team that is good enough to win it all.

I'm sorry, but I have to say this because Mcgrady lately has been getting on my nerves.

Seriously the excuses for this man's health has got to stop. No player getting 20+ million a year should be protected as much as he has been when he has never even won a playoff series.

Agreed.:clap:

aWiLL 20
01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
as mark cuban's spokesperson, i say heck no to a t-mac signing. he's got no heart.

S.J.Basketball
01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
as mark cuban's spokesperson, i say heck no to a t-mac signing. He's got no heart.

f a i l

mrblisterdundee
01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
McGrady will never be healthy. You should stop waiting for him.

Wilson
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM

I don't know. If he was putting up his normal numbers, there's a chance someone would give him a decent sized contract, say $15 or something for a few years. But if he continues to miss more time, and not put up numbers when he is on the court, there's not going to be much demand for him.

ARMIN12NBA
01-06-2009, 11:12 PM
He always seems to talk the talk. Remember when he said he couldn't believe he was in the second round finally? He only won 3 games and he would lose the series. Remember when he said it was all on him and they would win? They lost. McGrady always talks the talk, but he NEVER walks the walk.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Injuries aren't because he wants it. It happens. You blame him for having a back that and knees that are weak or have spasms? Having all summer doesn't do **** for healing for some conditions. Steve Nash's back spasms will never heal up during the summer, in fact it never will. It's a chronic condition. I don't blame McGrady for being injured. You can't "blame" someone for being injured, as long as he doesn't do it in some motorcycle or snowboarding **** off the court. When he's healthy he puts up good numbers. When he came back from injury ealier this season, he put up a triple double and I think close to 30 + points. Suck it up.

Steve Nash's back problems have never led to him missing any significant time, he even won two MVP's with it, and made it out of the second round quite a few times.

It's not Tmac's fault he's injured, but it's still my opinion that he's not mentally strong enough to fight through the pain, and just grit it out.

Chronz
01-06-2009, 11:17 PM
He said he would play with more energy after Morey and Adelman showed him the game tape and he still couldnt, I know Tmac will play better than he is right now but his lack of effort is appalling.

Im not in the JB category though, there is no reason for people to expect his surgical procedure to be fully healed this early in the season, Kobe had the exact same surgery several times, at a younger age than Tmac and even he needed the full 8 months to rehab and then around 2 extra to get back in NBA shape for his knee.

Chronz
01-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Steve Nash's back problems have never led to him missing any significant time, he even won two MVP's with it, and made it out of the second round quite a few times.

It's not Tmac's fault he's injured, but it's still my opinion that he's not mentally strong enough to fight through the pain, and just grit it out.

Steve Nash isnt 6"8 and his game doesnt revolve around athletic ability (Hes also been lucky enough to play in a free flowing offense that isnt as physically draining and never had to log heavy minutes for his team). Tmac had to alter his game and playing posture to remain effective without being an injury risk. And again the whole 1st round thing doesnt change anything, if Tmac got out the first round this year it still wouldnt mean he was any better of a player than he was before, just like KG wasnt all of sudden a better player when he finally made it out.

Tmac doesnt have a high threshold for pain but how do you measure someone's mental toughness? If your back gos out, you cannot fight it. It locks up for a reason, to PROTECT itself from further damage.

UofA
01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
He better back it up next year for his contract year, if anyone is willing to risk a good contract on a 30 year old with his injury past

rhino17
01-07-2009, 01:13 AM
I am pretty sick of him and think he is done, but...

I dont understand people saying he will never be his old self like he was in 2003. McGrady was a great player, top 10 up through last season. This is the season he has began to decline and become a bum

JordansBulls
01-07-2009, 01:17 AM
I am pretty sick of him and think he is done, but...

I dont understand people saying he will never be his old self like he was in 2003. McGrady was a great player, top 10 up through last season. This is the season he has began to decline and become a bum

Why not do a T-mac for Iverson swap now?

rhino17
01-07-2009, 01:19 AM

i would be fine with that, but I would actually prefer Vince Carter

Wilson
01-07-2009, 02:37 AM

I don't think the Pistons or Nets would be interested...

Chronz
01-07-2009, 02:43 AM

Why would you want to? Both are playing at a comparable level only in Tmac's case hes going to get better as the season gos along, is a much better fit alongside Yao and can actually defend when he puts his mind to it.

ARMIN12NBA
01-07-2009, 02:48 AM
I remember I suggested a Billups/Prince for McGrady trade to Rockets fans and they laughed at me saying it was totally unfair for the Rockets and all this kind of talk. I wonder what they think now.

Chronz
01-07-2009, 02:53 AM
I remember I suggested a Billups/Prince for McGrady trade to Rockets fans and they laughed at me saying it was totally unfair for the Rockets and all this kind of talk. I wonder what they think now.

Time will tell if it was a wrong move, but Billups for Tmac wouldve been more than enough if this keeps up.

QUICKTRADE
01-07-2009, 02:59 AM
this guy is one of the injury prone player i've ever seen. I dont know if he ever completed a season without injury?

ARMIN12NBA
01-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Time will tell if it was a wrong move, but Billups for Tmac wouldve been more than enough if this keeps up.

And when you add Prince with his consistency then it makes it a huge win for the Rockets.

fredv
01-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Rocket doctors have said his knee is fine and he can play 100%.

Tracy Mcgrady is doing the only thing he can anymore, talk.

Chronz
01-07-2009, 03:24 AM
Rocket doctors have said his knee is fine and he can play 100%.

Tracy Mcgrady is doing the only thing he can anymore, talk.

No, they said the pain he was experiencing was normal. They did NOT say he was 100%, they said the only way for his knee to get 100% is by playing and rehabbing. Its physically impossible for his knee to be operating at 100% capacity so early in the season, scar tissue is developed over time. Again it took Kobe 9-10 Months to be at 100%, what makes you think an older, less motivated player will be 100%?

fredv
01-07-2009, 05:09 AM
No, they said the pain he was experiencing was normal. They did NOT say he was 100%, they said the only way for his knee to get 100% is by playing and rehabbing. Its physically impossible for his knee to be operating at 100% capacity so early in the season, scar tissue is developed over time. Again it took Kobe 9-10 Months to be at 100%, what makes you think an older, less motivated player will be 100%?

Maybe its not 100%. But don't forget it is his job, his job is to rehab and play and get fit. All I could see during this offseason was Tmac throwing baseballs and eating some wings. He took on some fat aswell. If he can throw a ball, he could definitely go to the gym and get his body ready. Just look how much fat Steve Francis lost during his rehad, thats workout.
Mcgrady's problem isn't physical anymore, and I think every body knows this now, he definitely has something in his mind going on.

Chronz
01-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Maybe its not 100%. But don't forget it is his job, his job is to rehab and play and get fit. All I could see during this offseason was Tmac throwing baseballs and eating some wings. He took on some fat aswell. If he can throw a ball, he could definitely go to the gym and get his body ready. Just look how much fat Steve Francis lost during his rehad, thats workout.
Mcgrady's problem isn't physical anymore, and I think every body knows this now, he definitely has something in his mind going on.

Well thats the key thing isnt it? Unless you follow Tmac routinely, your word on his work ethic in the offseason isnt a fair barometer. I somewhat agree, he probably didnt work as hard he needed to, thinking since its such a simple procedure he need not go all out. But like I said before hes definitely working out now and if youve been following Tmac career curve as closely as I have youd know he is notorious for slow starts, the fact that hes aging, entering his declined years coupled with his first experience with any sort of knee scoping and its no surprise hes playing like this and honestly its not all that bad. Hes getting worse but give him another month.

Ive yet to see Francis' rehab to yield actual results. The Rockets were pretty short on PG's early in the year and he got zero minutes, you gotta be sucking something fierce during practice to get no playing time, besides Tmac never got as fat as Francis did during his layoff.

stevefrancis
01-07-2009, 04:25 PM
wait i thought tmac was injured since training camp? so he was paying in most of houstons games this season? haven't even noticed him and I watched almost every game

IndyRealist
01-07-2009, 05:27 PM
The McGrady type player was in vogue for quite a while, but his body type just isn't durable enough to withstand the NBA grind for more than a handful of seasons. Several other extremely skilled players have had injury plagued careers as well, tarnishing their legacies. I'm thinking of Grant Hill and Penny Hardaway in particular. All were 20+ppg scoring, rebounding, point-forwards who's bodies just couldn't hold up, and consequentially never led their respective teams to championships. It doesn't matter how talented you are if you're never on the floor.

rhino17
01-07-2009, 05:44 PM

If tmac was healthy, that would be a terrible trade, but he is a puss

Mamba006
01-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Is is me or Tmac just doesn't have the same passion as a lebron, kobe, wade, duncan...
The man just lacks passion in his game and i am not talking about the dumbfounded look on his face. I wont get into the injuries there are too many to mention. One thing i know is it is truly difficult to play with backpain. So i can cut him some slack, but what i dont like is the lack of motivation. You give kobe, lebron, wade a guy like Artest and Yao and they would win you multiple championships or would die trying. This guy has serious issues (obviously physically) but mostly motivation. When you have a good team like the rockets do you should want to play and show up everyday.

oldenpolynice
01-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Would be a steal for the Rockets. VC is playing a lot better than T-Mac right now and he has a healthier history than McGrady does.

JIDsanity
01-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Is is me or Tmac just doesn't have the same passion as a lebron, kobe, wade, duncan...
The man just lacks passion in his game and i am not talking about the dumbfounded look on his face. I wont get into the injuries there are too many to mention. One thing i know is it is truly difficult to play with backpain. So i can cut him some slack, but what i dont like is the lack of motivation. You give kobe, lebron, wade a guy like Artest and Yao and they would win you multiple championships or would die trying. This guy has serious issues (obviously physically) but mostly motivation. When you have a good team like the rockets do you should want to play and show up everyday.
Back pain sucks, but I play through it because I want to play not because I have to. Not trying to put down T-mac, I like T-Mac, but Im just saying

JordansBulls
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Would be a steal for the Rockets. VC is playing a lot better than T-Mac right now and he has a healthier history than McGrady does.

Even a T-mac for Kevin Martin deal would be sweet for the Rockets.

DerekRE_3
01-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Even a T-mac for Kevin Martin deal would be sweet for the Rockets.

Someone has Kevin Martin on his mind. :D