PDA

View Full Version : Bruschi wants to come back

bagwell368
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
OK..... as long as its for an off field position. He is done. He was great. I have pictures of him in my house, but its over.

MilledgeGomez
01-06-2009, 01:56 PM
If he'll be a back-up why not. We have a lot of talented young linebackers like Mayo, Guyton and Vince Redd who could benefit from having Bruschi mentoring them

Canada26
01-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Is there an official link saying he won't come back?

Bruschi is by far my favourite player in the NFL. I have books, pictures, jersey's....you name it, of him. I hope he does stay and do something with the organization.

The Intimidator
01-06-2009, 06:02 PM
As long as it is in a limited role, where he'll only be playing about 25-30 percent of defensive snaps, then I would be fine with it. This has nothing to do with the fact that he's a Patriot legend either. Bruschi obviously has a firm grasp of Belichick's system, and can continue to mentor young defensive players. That could be extremely beneficial to our team. If Bruschi is looking to play half the defensive snaps or more, then I would say thanks but no thanks.

Wake's Fastball
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Agreed with what's been said above. With so many young MLBs in the mix, it can only be beneficial to keep Bruschi on board with how well he knows the system. Again, only in a limited role though.

Morgan
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
If he'll be a back-up why not. We have a lot of talented young linebackers like Mayo, Guyton and Vince Redd who could benefit from having Bruschi mentoring them

We shouldn't waste a roster spot on Bruschi considering he hasn't really been any good for the last 3 seasons and, inside linebacker is our weakest position. Tedi Bruschi would have probably been cut 2 years ago by any other team but, I think they let him stick around because of what he had done in the past. It's over Tedi. Go enjoy life and leave football to the guys who can still play it at a high level.

The Intimidator
01-06-2009, 07:48 PM
We shouldn't waste a roster spot on Bruschi considering he hasn't really been any good for the last 3 seasons and, inside linebacker is our weakest position. Tedi Bruschi would have probably been cut 2 years ago by any other team but, I think they let him stick around because of what he had done in the past. It's over Tedi. Go enjoy life and leave football to the guys who can still play it at a high level.

Bill Belichick does his job without emotion, so if Bruschi deserved to be cut 2 years ago, he would have been. In 2006 and 2007, Bruschi recorded 112 and 92 tackles, respectively. I don't think that those are the stats of someone who deserved to be cut. Have his skills diminished? Yes. But there is nothing wrong with him returning in a reserve role, so he can mentor the young players.

Canada26
01-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Are you serious?

Anyways, Bruschi's role had already diminished this year, as he was mostly a 2 down player. I think if he comes back it would be at best that, and probably a little less. Still love the guy, and would be happy if he came back. The run defense was still pretty good this year, so I don't think it would be a bad idea for him to get his snaps.

Morgan
01-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Bill Belichick does his job without emotion, so if Bruschi deserved to be cut 2 years ago, he would have been. In 2006 and 2007, Bruschi recorded 112 and 92 tackles, respectively. I don't think that those are the stats of someone who deserved to be cut. Have his skills diminished? Yes. But there is nothing wrong with him returning in a reserve role, so he can mentor the young players.

Could you fill his roster spot with someone who is younger, faster, and a better playmaker? Yes. Bruschi can't defend the pass anymore and, when you play inside linebacker you have to be able to bat some balls down and defend the pass against tight ends, receivers, and running backs in zone coverage and he can't do that anymore. We need a guy to start alongside Mayo. Guytoh can be a more effective backup right now than Bruschi can. We shouldn't waste a roster spot on him.

Wake's Fastball
01-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Could you fill his roster spot with someone who is younger, faster, and a better playmaker? Yes. Bruschi can't defend the pass anymore and, when you play inside linebacker you have to be able to bat some balls down and defend the pass against tight ends, receivers, and running backs in zone coverage and he can't do that anymore. We need a guy to start alongside Mayo. Guytoh can be a more effective backup right now than Bruschi can. We shouldn't waste a roster spot on him.

Thus why the consensus is that he'd be welcome back in a smaller role. Realistically, there's no way in hell Belichick goes into training camp with Jerod Mayo as the most veteran middle linebacker. Bruschi doesn't have a hefty price tag, knows the system, and Belichick's deemed him better than the assortment of other veterans they've tried out at the MLB spot in the meantime.

Canada26
01-07-2009, 12:32 AM

Like I wrote in my previous post, Bruschi pretty much played this entire season on 1st and 2nd downs, and when it was obvious passing situation, such as 2nd and long he would still come out.

He is still solid at stopping the run, and even when we are in passing situations the take out a LB anyways for another DB. I would def welcome Bruschi back.

bagwell368
01-07-2009, 11:43 AM
As long as it is in a limited role, where he'll only be playing about 25-30 percent of defensive snaps, then I would be fine with it. This has nothing to do with the fact that he's a Patriot legend either. Bruschi obviously has a firm grasp of Belichick's system, and can continue to mentor young defensive players. That could be extremely beneficial to our team. If Bruschi is looking to play half the defensive snaps or more, then I would say thanks but no thanks.

He was already down to this level and could not handle the work load as it was last year - he was dreadful.

He can either man the ready positions of Seau and Colvin - ready when needed, or he can be a coach, or he can retire. If BB has him on the roster next year, then I fear all the draft picks, and the $$ for FA's will have been squandered, because the number #1 need of the team is to upgrade is his position.

Morgan
01-07-2009, 02:49 PM
He was already down to this level and could not handle the work load as it was last year - he was dreadful.

He can either man the ready positions of Seau and Colvin - ready when needed, or he can be a coach, or he can retire. If BB has him on the roster next year, then I fear all the draft picks, and the $$ for FA's will have been squandered, because the number #1 need of the team is to upgrade is his position.

Exactly. I think there is better options out there than Bruschi to play "ready when needed" role but, I guess it wouldn't be that bad if he came back and played a tiny role but, he's not good enough to play more than a very small role.

Ewagner
01-07-2009, 03:35 PM
it pains me to say but i do believe it is time to let him go. like someone else had mentioned keep him on speed dial i.e. seau

Cowboy Up
01-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Draft a MLB with the first round pick and have a nice rotation of that pick, Bruschi, and Mayo in the middle.

Crickr
01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I think Bru has had hi best years with the Pats. I am thinking that he will be on the on call list next year. I really like him but it has to be the best for the team and I think that means he does not return next season.

Patsfreak1776
01-15-2009, 04:50 PM
As long as it's for an assistant LB coach position. His playing days are over.