PDA

View Full Version : Lebrons crab dribble.Traveling or not?

shatty
01-06-2009, 08:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3812091 Ya its pretty clear to me its a travel,Lebron is nuts if he thinks it's not.Best quote in the artical,Antawn Jaimison is asked do you know what a "crab dribble" is he replies I know what a travel is. lmao

BLOMETSFAN
01-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Travel no doubt about it...I have no idea what he was talking about with that crab dribble

td0tsfinest
01-06-2009, 09:14 AM
lol crab dribble....guess you can't get away with anything if your lebron james.

phila_gorilla
01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Only Lebron can get away with calling a travel a "crab dribble." That's a travel no matter who you are.

znick21
01-06-2009, 09:51 AM
i'm a huge cavs fan and i definitely think it's considered traveling under nba rules. but players do it all the time and it goes uncalled most of the time. so the nba needs to either give players an extra step in the rule, or enforce the current ones more strictly.

lebron definitely traveled on the play but i think if he made more of a jump stop and planted both feet it would of been ok, but his feet kind of shuffled when he first made the move and the correct call was made.

Testaverde16
01-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Crab dribble... what a dumbass. I sometimes forget how dumb some of these kids that come straight out from highschool are. Undoubtedly a travel. Sorry, Bron-Bron.

BLOMETSFAN
01-06-2009, 10:47 AM
i'm a huge cavs fan and i definitely think it's considered traveling under nba rules. but players do it all the time and it goes uncalled most of the time. so the nba needs to either give players an extra step in the rule, or enforce the current ones more strictly.

lebron definitely traveled on the play but i think if he made more of a jump stop and planted both feet it would of been ok, but his feet kind of shuffled when he first made the move and the correct call was made.

I agree that this call often times goes uncalled which is probably why he actually believes that it was a bad call. If you do something hundreads of times and dont get called, and all of a sudden you dont get the call of course you are going to think that someone screwed up somewhere.

alansquires
01-06-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't think he was called because of his lobster dribble, looked to me like he took 3 steps after picking up his dribble. Looked like an obvious call to me.

Nighthawk
01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Crab dribble??? lol Crab excuse from Lebron...The king traveled. End of story

Mamba006
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3812091 Ya its pretty clear to me its a travel,Lebron is nuts if he thinks it's not.Best quote in the artical,Antawn Jaimison is asked do you know what a "crab dribble" is he replies I know what a travel is. lmao

His explanation was hilarious! Definitely a travel.

Vidball
01-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Crab Dribble is Lebronese for traveling. I can't believe LeBron watched the tape on play and still says he didn't travel. Unbelievable!!

Wilson
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
It's a travel. LeBron's not the only guy who gets away with it though.

Gilbert>TheRest
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
wow lebron should watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGiBXYJiTF8&feature=related

NBAkYD
01-06-2009, 01:29 PM
LeBron is such a little *****. Crab dribble my ***, that looked more like a crab scuttle

cmstophe
01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Another LeBron hate thread. Do we really need this? You guys fail to muster up the intellectual capacity required to comprehend that while the King traveled, it isn't called fairly at the end of games, so I doubt Lebron expected them to call it. Case in point (and I'm tired of saying this) was LeBron being fouled and mugged on his way to the hoop for a game winner against the Wiz last year, and nothing is called because it's for the game in the waning moments.

The NBA needs to call these things even if it decides the game.

NBAkYD
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Another LeBron hate thread. Do we really need this? You guys fail to muster up the intellectual capacity required to comprehend that while the King traveled, it isn't called fairly at the end of games, so I doubt Lebron expected them to call it. Case in point (and I'm tired of saying this) was LeBron being fouled and mugged on his way to the hoop for a game winner against the Wiz last year, and nothing is called because it's for the game in the waning moments.

The NBA needs to call these things even if it decides the game.

Thats bull, the fact that you think there is a precedent that only certain fouls count at the end of the game is ridiculous. LeBron ALWAYS travels and he finally got punished for it and I'd be happy to see this happen more often

cmstophe
01-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Thats bull, the fact that you think there is a precedent that only certain fouls count at the end of the game is ridiculous. LeBron ALWAYS travels and he finally got punished for it and I'd be happy to see this happen more often

Huh?

I said it was a travel, but it doesn't get called fairly, and that it SHOULD BE CALLED FAIRLY. Read next time, please.

Right now the NBA consistently screws up the end of games with not callign these things and thus these superstars go "WTF?" when you call it. So start freakin calling traveling every time someone does it, even at the end of games, so people just *STOP DOING IT*.

You are so ignorant if you think Lebron is the only guy who travels. Do you know how many travels I saw in that game alone? A couple dozen. Maybe more. They travel on dunks, fast breaks, passes to the hole, give me a freakin break. It's like holding in the NFL, it happens every single play and the refs call it "when they feel like it".

Jonathan2323
01-06-2009, 01:39 PM
if i dont have to hear these two words together crab dribble again, i would be happy.

Lebron you Traveled.

cmstophe
01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
if i dont have to hear these two words together crab dribble again, i would be happy.

Lebron you Traveled.

Yeah 'crab dribble' is getting annoying.
Guys like D-Wade travel to the hole every single time though. I think the NBA Needs to step it up when it coems to traveling. Start calling these guys for it.

Vidball
01-06-2009, 02:30 PM
^^^Exactly!

terp12354
01-06-2009, 03:03 PM
cmstophe,

I think you missed the point here. this isnt a debate that he traveled or whether it hsould have been called beucase i agre with ur point, but I think anyone ovoer the age of 5c can count those 3-5 steps (depending on if you count his crap/double dribble). The big issue and why people are picking on Lebron as opposed to Wade is because LEbron said after watching the replay he said he did NOT travel.....if he had said' well ya tecnically but they enver call it so ididnt expect them to call it then' that would have been one thing. But how do you supposedly watch a tape with sucha finite answer and say thats not a travel?! thatsj ust stupidity and imamturity.....its liek when u wathc a little kid knock over a vase and he says it was alreayd broken, even though you watched him break it. Thats how Lebron comes off with his responses which I think is why people are getting so angry

da wood
01-06-2009, 03:05 PM
you know we were just talking about this the other day in the gym and one thing we all agreed on is the fact. that he traveled but on the flip side of that d-wade does it all the time.

NYMetros
01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
LeBron has no argument here. Travel. It was the right call and I applaud the refs for making it.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Two things.

1. It was a travel, no doubt.

2. To those saying the refs need to call it more consistently etc... I agree to an extent, but usually, when players take an extra step and travel, it's much less obvious, and while that doesn't excuse the refs, when these guys make their moves, it all happens so fast, its hard to be sure. In this case right here, it is pretty obvious LeBron took 3 steps.

prodigy
01-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Antawn Jaimison is asked do you know what a "crab dribble" is he replies I know what a travel is. lmao

But wizards uck so I could careless what he has to say.

If any washington fans wanna make fun of lebron. Just remember this. 3 stright years. LOL.

I think lebron knew it was a travel but was ticked off because how bad the refs were. The charge on lebron where mike james clearing moved in front of him was bull. then both travels called on mo and hickson where they were clearly pushed was bull.

dgreat5000
01-06-2009, 04:06 PM
He traveled, he's been doin that same move ever since he came to the league...they're just now startin to call it though, hopefully they'll continue

philtheimpaler
01-06-2009, 04:14 PM
no lebron hate here, but thats a pretty obvious call. wats next, ill scorpion dribble arnd ur @$$!!

Sport
01-06-2009, 04:17 PM
There is so much traveling or "carrying" in the NBA, it really isnt even funny.

leftymo
01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Lebron took 3 steps, i don't care what you call it, but travelling should be the right choice.

The traveling call that NO ref ever calls, is at the top of the 3 point arc, when a player first receives the ball and initiates an offense. Every team has players that do it, and its never called, but they take like 3 steps before they stop with ball in hand.

It's absurd, but is allowed within the NBA. Does anyone know what I'm referring to? I think the best example of this (but I'm not calling him out, b/c the entire league does it) is Manu Ginobli. Watch when he receives the ball at the top of the 3 point arc, watch how many steps he takes. its clearly 3.

It's like you can take three+ steps to turn around coming off a pick to initiate an offense.

Mane
01-06-2009, 04:23 PM
But wizards uck so I could careless what he has to say.

If any washington fans wanna make fun of lebron. Just remember this. 3 stright years. LOL.

I think lebron knew it was a travel but was ticked off because how bad the refs were. The charge on lebron where mike james clearing moved in front of him was bull. then both travels called on mo and hickson where they were clearly pushed was bull.

3 straight years of an injured team.. thats a fair game... Last year was probably our most healthy team and our best player was still hurting.

Its payback for the Christmas day game where there was worse calls than there were on Sunday.

I could care less if the Wizards suck, at least they don't have a huge douche as their face of the franchise.

Next time i get called for traveling (which i never do) my excuse is going to be the crab dribble.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
3 straight years of an injured team.. thats a fair game... Last year was probably our most healthy team and our best player was still hurting.

Its payback for the Christmas day game where there was worse calls than there were on Sunday.

I could care less if the Wizards suck, at least they don't have a huge douche as their face of the franchise.

Next time i get called for traveling (which i never do) my excuse is going to be the crab dribble.

I've already gotten away with traveling 3 times since this game, all I said was, dude, I crab dribbled, that's not a travel, just ask LeBron James. :shrug:

LA_Raiders
01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Hell yeah, and a lot of times refs dont call him travel....

da wood
01-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I've already gotten away with traveling 3 times since this game, all I said was, dude, I crab dribbled, that's not a travel, just ask LeBron James. :shrug:

thats some funny ****

Kyben36
01-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Its a travel evrey time. Crab dribble though has nothing to do with it. He took a step, the tried to Hop step. then took a final step. thats 4 times I saw his foot hit the ground.

ARMIN12NBA
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM
New nickname: King Crab.

BTW--I looked up a crab dribble and what Lebron did wasn't even close to a crab dribble (even Jalen Rose was making fun of him). Nobody in their right minds (who know what a crab dribble is) would consider that a crab dribble. It was a travel. Plain and simple.

Teeboy1487
01-06-2009, 07:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoLBR9CwvFE
Is this the "crab dribble" lebron was talking about, because I only seen two steps not three.

KB24PG16
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
travel for sure

ARMIN12NBA
01-06-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoLBR9CwvFE
Is this the "crab dribble" lebron was talking about, because I only seen two steps not three.

The Crab Dribble By Mike McNeill, Coaching Development Basketball BC

The most overlooked dribble maneuver is what is called a crab dribble. What is a crab dribble? It is when the dribbler has their back to a defender and dribbles the ball between their feet with step-slide footwork.

Why use a crab dribble?

1. To protect the ball by keeping the body between the defender and the ball. It is the most common dribble used by post players; the back-down move that is so common is a crab dribble. For perimeter players it is especially effective when the dribbler is bringing the ball up-court against an extremely quick, ball-hawking defender.

2. To set the pace at which the ball is brought up the floor. Often the coach will instruct the ball-handler to slow the pace of the game down, but if the dribbler is being pressured, the only way to relieve pressure is to attempt to go by the defender.

3. To change sides of the court when being pressured, without exposing the ball to the defender. This is usually done with a spin dribble but may also be done with a pop back move and then a change of hands dribble (crossover, behind back, between leg).

Technique:

1. Footwork a. Point the lead toe in the direction you want to go. b. Step with the lead foot, then push with the back foot and get airborne; it is extremely important for the ball-handler to cover ground (I always tell players to make a bad defensive slide).

2. Torso a. Turn your torso at a 45-degree angle when you are moving up the floor. b. Keep your body between the defender and the ball.

3. Head a. Look over the shoulder corresponding to the lead foot. b. Keep your eyes up and be aware of potential traps and run and jumps. c. Use your peripheral vision to see defenders coming from behind you.

4. Dribble a. The ball should be dribbled directly between your feet. b. As the player dribbles the ball they should use an inside-out action, this will allow the dribbler to progress forward with the ball, but still keep it between the feet. c. When the defender cuts the dribbler off, use a spin dribble to change directions.

Moves out of a crab dribble:

1. Go – when the dribbler lands and does not see the defender’s chest in the path they will often want to pivot on the lead foot and go hard to the basket.

2. Spin dribble – when the defender’s chest is in the path the dribbler should use a spin dribble to change direction.

3. Fake spin dribble – when the defender is moving along with the dribbler, the dribbler may use a fake spin dribble and continue in the same direction. The dribbler fakes with the ball, head and shoulder all going back as if doing a spin dribble. The dribbler will then pivot on the lead foot and go.

That is not what the crab dribble Lebron was talking about. That was a clean drive. Lebron has no idea what a crab dribble is. He was just talking out of his ***.

NBAkYD
01-06-2009, 08:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is not what the crab dribble Lebron was talking about. That was a clean drive. Lebron has no idea what a crab dribble is. He was just talking out of his ***.

I get the crab reference now, leave it to LeBron to misunderstand the rules of his game.

G-Funk
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Mr.Crab Dribble Lmfao

arkanian215
01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I agree that this call often times goes uncalled which is probably why he actually believes that it was a bad call. If you do something hundreads of times and dont get called, and all of a sudden you dont get the call of course you are going to think that someone screwed up somewhere.

yeah cuz he's probably used to doing it all the time.

MiamiHeat
01-06-2009, 09:04 PM
this picture is great for this thread

http://i42.tinypic.com/2zp6nhc.gif

Mr.Grizzly
01-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Travelling!!!!

Theanswer76
01-06-2009, 09:13 PM
if you wanna know what a crab dribble is, look at this vid and boozer tells you what it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSoL9iCM90

mrblisterdundee
01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
It appears that LeBron mixed some land travel with his frequent flyer miles.

JJ_JKidd
01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Everybody does it so its not just Lebron's travel. Kobe, Wade etc does it... Maybe its only Lebron who abuses it too much... So thats why hes getting all the heat... From the haters....

Theanswer76
01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Everybody does it so its not just Lebron's travel. Kobe, Wade etc does it... Maybe its only Lebron who abuses it too much... So thats why hes getting all the heat... From the haters....

I dont remember anyone else saying they crab dribbled, no one would care if he just admitted it

ARMIN12NBA
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
I dont remember anyone else saying they crab dribbled, no one would care if he just admitted it

Exactly. Everybody has traveled in their basketball playing days and gotten away with it (although some may get away with it more often). That isn't the big deal. The big deal is the whole crab dribble crap.

All hail King Crab.

chicagowhitesox
01-06-2009, 11:07 PM
3 steps = travel. sorry lebron.

MrBloop
01-06-2009, 11:24 PM

Lebron stop traveling.

Like this mofo needs an additional "edge" on the basketball court.

MrBloop
01-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Maybe its a sign?

Maybe Lebron...is a Crab Person!!!!

CRAB PEOPLE CRAB PEOPLE CRAB PEOPLE CRAB PEOPLE

cmstophe
01-06-2009, 11:36 PM

lol

Yeah, Deshawn Stevenson and Gilbert "Agent Zero" Arenas, those guys are CLASS ACTS. LeBron has more class in his pinky finger (and more talent in the nail on that pinky) than both those guys have combined.

Yogi
01-06-2009, 11:39 PM
LeBron has crabs.

Kyle N.
01-07-2009, 02:24 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. It's about the most clear travel call you can have. LeBron has no defense. I don't even understand how he thinks he didn't travel.

ARMIN12NBA
01-07-2009, 02:30 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. It's about the most clear travel call you can have. LeBron has no defense. I don't even understand how he thinks he didn't travel.

He is stupid and self-absorbed. Pretty clear in my opinion.

Lakersfan2483
01-07-2009, 04:02 AM
Lebron clearly traveled on the play, I don't know how he can dispute the call.

JJ81
01-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Crab dribble is code for "I'm LeBron James, if I travel you shut your mouth and pretend it didn't happen".

Frrrrank!!!
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Maybe its a sign?

Maybe Lebron...is a Crab Person!!!!

CRAB PEOPLE CRAB PEOPLE CRAB PEOPLE CRAB PEOPLE

:laugh:

Missing56&33
01-07-2009, 02:31 PM
james didn't walk....he ran....good call for once ref

Mane
01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
lol

Yeah, Deshawn Stevenson and Gilbert "Agent Zero" Arenas, those guys are CLASS ACTS. LeBron has more class in his pinky finger (and more talent in the nail on that pinky) than both those guys have combined.

Gilbert Arenas has never done anything wrong. He just speaks his mind. He gets along with most players :shrug:

Believe me, i hate Deshawn Stevenson too.

Lebron has more class than both combined? Nah. If he had more class, he would just avoid Deshawns comments. Deshawns an idiot anyway.

Believe me, i love Lebron as a player. Unfortunately for James, he didn't get away with the travel like last time (see the video of lebrons game winning 4 step layup in the playoffs a few years back)

basketball3553
01-07-2009, 07:59 PM
definnitely traveling, just said something since they lost.

TheBlackHole
01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Crab dribble is code for "I'm LeBron James, if I travel you shut your mouth and pretend it didn't happen".

:laugh: lmao, its true

JIDsanity
01-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Travel

homestarunner93
01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Obviously a travel, in my opinion.

jmastert
01-08-2009, 01:10 AM
thats not technically a crab dribble is a hesitation dribble and lebron took 3 steps and didnt really have much of a hesitation before his first step.

GregOden#1
01-08-2009, 06:09 PM
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7jvcfouEiSw&feature=channel_page

You guys should've watched it more carefully.

dawgsfan_45
01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
lolfest.

TheFuture6
01-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Obviously.

Frrrrank!!!
01-08-2009, 06:13 PM

MiamiHeat
01-08-2009, 06:16 PM
:laugh2:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2n6yw08.gif

IRUAM #21
01-08-2009, 06:33 PM
:laugh2:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2n6yw08.gif

BleedGreen
01-08-2009, 06:42 PM
That is oh so very really funny.

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 06:53 PM
lol party

Yogi
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
That's not even the right players.

stevefrancis
01-08-2009, 07:26 PM
lmao

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Not really that funny, but oh well let the immature laugh it up.

mjt20mik
01-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Very Nice lol

Nighthawk
01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
AWESOME THREAD....Better Video....lmao

Teeboy1487
01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Epic Win. :laugh:

DocUSN
01-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Not really that funny, but oh well let the immature laugh it up.

chillout lol

I'm a huge cavs fan from ohio and laughed my *** off

LA_cabals
01-08-2009, 08:38 PM
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7jvcfouEiSw&feature=channel_page

You guys should've watched it more carefully.

I didn't know you have a sense of humor. Good Job! :clap:

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
01-08-2009, 09:05 PM
chillout lol

I'm a huge cavs fan from ohio and laughed my *** off

I was simply stating my honest opinion. It was not that humorous to me, and I don't even see how it is funny; therefore, to me the people who laugh look a little immature.

marvILLous
01-08-2009, 09:08 PM
^well u must be the most mature man in this whole world because everyone else finds it funny.

KB24PG16
01-08-2009, 09:28 PM
lmao

DocUSN
01-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I was simply stating my honest opinion. It was not that humorous to me, and I don't even see how it is funny; therefore, to me the people who laugh look a little immature.

So somone who has a diffrent sense of humor then you is imature??? why.... how.... mature of you...

Ph1lly Diehard
01-08-2009, 09:38 PM
LMFAO :laugh:

nstachowski
01-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Hahahaha

kntresistheheat
01-08-2009, 09:42 PM
You must have a boring life:p......and to say somone is immature because WE ALL THOUGHT THIS WAS FUNNY, is very immature of you!

Oh man!!!! This is Lebron?????

AFlagRules
01-08-2009, 09:46 PM
That's hilarious.

BoltLakerPadre
01-08-2009, 10:04 PM
So the more legs you have, the more steps you have to take in between dribbles for it to be called a travel?

mjt20mik
01-08-2009, 10:13 PM
So the more legs you have, the more steps you have to take in between dribbles for it to be called a travel?

Remember 18 crab steps = 1 real step :clap::D

cambovenzi
01-08-2009, 10:22 PM
haAHAaha.
that was great.

i was totally expecting it to be defending lebron seriously.

18 crab steps= one real step :laugh:

DocUSN
01-08-2009, 10:27 PM
haAHAaha.
that was great.

i was totally expecting it to be defending lebron seriously.

18 crab steps= one real step :laugh:

I loved that part

Shieldsz
01-08-2009, 10:53 PM
My go-to movie in basketball is indeed the crab dribble.

kswissdaf
01-08-2009, 11:05 PM
wow lol

DenButsu
01-09-2009, 12:27 AM

I live in Japan, and my Japanese isn't so great, but as I understand it, "crab dribble" in English roughly translates to Japanese as "My name is LeBron James so I'm allowed to travel."

philab
01-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Looking at it closely, it's a travel. Three steps. I have no clue where people are getting four or five steps out of that.

It's three steps. And in all honesty, it's pretty close to NOT being a travel. If his left foot were down when he picked up that last dribble (came down just after), it's clean. A travel is a travel, though.

The fact that Wade and others get away with much more egregious travels is annoying but irrelevant. If the ref saw it clearly, he should call it. The time left in the game is (should be) irrelevant as well. Unfortunately, refs let such travels slide frequently.

I just hope people remember this before they claim that LeBron gets some "King" treatment from the refs. It's just not true at all.

DenButsu
01-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Looking at it closely, it's a travel. Three steps. I have no clue where people are getting four or five steps out of that.

It's three steps. And in all honesty, it's pretty close to NOT being a travel. If his left foot were down when he picked up that last dribble (came down just after), it's clean. A travel is a travel, though.

The fact that Wade and others get away with much more egregious travels is annoying but irrelevant. If the ref saw it clearly, he should call it. The time left in the game is (should be) irrelevant as well. Unfortunately, refs let such travels slide frequently.

I just hope people remember this before they claim that LeBron gets some "King" treatment from the refs. It's just not true at all.

I agree with everything but the bolded part. One isolated call is not an accurate indicator of the general trend of officiating regarding LBJ, which really is favorable to him (and Wade, and Kobe, etc.).

Er1c
01-09-2009, 01:22 AM
3 steps. travel

philab
01-09-2009, 05:41 PM
I agree with everything but the bolded part. One isolated call is not an accurate indicator of the general trend of officiating regarding LBJ, which really is favorable to him (and Wade, and Kobe, etc.).

No, one isolated call is not an indicator.

I really disagree that officiating is favorable toward LeBron. There are TWO situations where officiating is generally favorable to LeBron:

1. LeBron on the fast break (1-on-1 or 1-on-2, typically). LeBron usually gets the foul called whether it happened or not. The defender(s) typically are trying to foul him in such a situation but they sometimes actually don't. LeBron still usually gets the call. As these situations happen quite often and the fouls are sometimes very hard, such favorable officiating is almost demanded. Players (and, since this is the NBA, superstars especially) must be protected. The defender hardly ever complains either -- they were trying to foul.
2. LeBron gets away with more travels than most. In my opinion, this isn't due so much to his "superstar" status but more to the number of times he drives to the hoop (and, thus, the number of times he travels). In other words, the ratio of travels called:actual travels is consistent with the rest of the league.

If you watch Cavaliers games, LeBron gets the hell beat out of him when he drives. The foul gets called fairly often, but it's hardly ever a bad call. Quite frequently, however, LeBron gets beat up and no foul is called. Just because the guy is on the line 9-10 times a game doesn't mean he's getting favorable officiating. He does use more possessions than any other player in the league . . .

I'm not sure why this is the case. Most of it is probably because LeBron is so big and fouls don't look as bad. Some of it is probably refs reacting to the ubiquitous "Lebron gets favorable officiating" complaints. It might also be due to biases of certain refs who have tired of LeBron's "act." One way or another . . .

And in all honesty, Kobe doesn't get what I'd call favorable officiating either. Wade and Garnett get favorable officiating.