PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite Politician/President

SmthBluCitrus
01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
I thought this would be kind of fun ... lets play favorites. Name 'em and give a reason why.

Who is your favorite Democratic politician (both past and present):

Who is your favorite Republican politician (both past and present):

Who is your favorite Democratic President (and don't say Obama):

Who is your favorite Republican President:

------------------------------------------

I'll give mine in a bit. I don't want to be influential. :p

behindmydesk
01-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I was going to do a fun thread. I'll save mine for 2 days to let this one run it's course.

Who is your favorite Democratic politician (both past and present):Mayor Lutke South Bend Mayor. He's a great Mayor. He's done alot for this city. On a national scale, I def wouldn't say Bayh. Can't stand him. I'd probably say hmm that's a tough one. Mayor Daly? How he keeps getting elected is beyond me.

Who is your favorite Republican politician (both past and present): Mitch Daniels/Cheney. I love Cheney

Who is your favorite Democratic President (and don't say Obama):I'd have to say Slick Willy himself. He kept things interesting. Can't deny the economy boomed. I argue some of the problems we have now was from him and more importantly Greenspan, but he had it humming, and he kept things interesting. Besides that it created the single funniest thing to ever happen out of a discussion with me and the fiance. With me saying what the hell are you Bill Clinton, yes Oral Sex is sex.

Who is your favorite Republican President: Nixon.

gcoll
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Who is your favorite Democratic politician
Rod Blagojevich.

Of all time. John C. Calhoun. (I think he was a Democrat). Because every picture I've seen of him, he looks wicked pissed off.

Who is your favorite Republican politician
Of all time...Teddy Roosevelt.

Right now...I don't think Condoleezza Rice counts as a politician but I think she'd qualify since she's a figure in the political landscape.

Who is your favorite Democratic President (and don't say Obama)
FDR. No contest. Even though the New Deal is extremely overrated.

Who is your favorite Republican President
I already used TR as my favorite politician so I'll go with Lincoln.

So...my answers are pretty obvious as far as presidents go.

cabernetluver
01-05-2009, 10:21 PM
Who is your favorite Democratic politician (both past and present): Past would be former Governor Edmond G “Pat” Brown. He grew the University of California system from a small to a giant system of higher learning. He built highways. He was a man of honor, principle, and yet knew how to be a politician. He got things done. He was father of Jerry Brown current CA Attorney General and himself a former Governor. Present Teddy Kennedy is my current favorite. He is old, and on his last legs, but he still can make a speech that makes my heart skip a beat. He has earned the title Lion of the Senate by knowing how to get good things done, even when he has been in the minority.

Who is your favorite Republican politician (both past and present):Past favorite GOP politician would have to be Ike. I realize this may or may not have been for non presidents, but as time goes by I am respecting him more and more. He left an interstate highway system, warned against the military industrial complex, sent troops into the south to help African Americans gain an education and he appointed some great Supreme Court justices. My present favorite current Republican politician would be the retiring senator from Virginia, Warner. He is a principled man who kept his honor intact by fighting his fights with strength, courage, and always as a gentleman.

Who is your favorite Democratic President (and don't say Obama): I have a real quandary here. My first thought was Jefferson, but I have read way to much about him, and although his accomplishments were amazing, and given the context of the times, his shortcomings were not to bad, I had to pass him up. I loved Bill Clinton, Truman, have strong affection for Old Hickory Andrew Jackson, but in the end, I have to cast my vote for FDR. He had the double whammy of a real war following a full out depression. I am so irritated when the current GOP calls these war times. I have not seen the kind of rationing, national purpose, that happens in a real war.

Who is your favorite Republican President: This one requires no thought, it is a slam dunk. Honest Abe, enough said.

SmthBluCitrus
01-05-2009, 10:24 PM
My turn ...

Past -- Big fan of Bobby Kennedy. It might be a fairly popular answer, but the man was able to connect to people. He really took organized crime to task as an AG and was a key progressive in the movement (especially with civil rights).

Present -- I could go with "the Lion" Ted Kennedy, or Jim Webb in Virginia. But, I think I'll go with Rep. Bruce Braley here in Iowa-01. First off, I know him. Secondly, in his two years in Washington he's brought a lot of attention to the state. He, along with Dave Loebsack, were instrumental in getting aid and relief into Iowa following the floods and tornadoes. Now he's on the House Energy and Commerce Committee. It's a good role and should prove advantageous to my adopted state.

Past -- Lincoln Chaffee. I regard him as "past" because he isn't in Washington anymore. This would probably be an unpopular pick among Republicans, but he's a social liberal/fiscal conservative. I think he'd be a lot of Democratic people's favorite former GOPer

Present -- Senator Chuck Grassley. I just like Chuck. He's a good down-to-earth guy. He's a fairly moderate guy that is willing to work across the aisle to get things done. He's not a big fan of the Evangelical movement that the GOP has undertaken in recent years, either.

Who is your favorite Democratic President (and don't say Obama):

Franklin D. Roosevelt, hands down. He did more for the modern Democratic Party as far as social responsibility is concerned than any other Democratic President. He probably had the toughest job as any President since Lincoln -- and any President since. He had to deal with getting the economy moving and trying to mobilize an American populace in order to engage enemies on two global fronts. FDR is the reason I'm a Democrat.

Who is your favorite Republican President:

Dwight D. Eisenhower. I think he's a severely underrated President. Although he had regrets about the arms race that was inflamed with the Soviets, he made great strides on the home front. He brought us the interstate system--where would we be without it today? He had his drawbacks (as all Presidents do), but I still think he did an above average job.

Wrigleyboy25
01-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Who is your favorite Democratic politician (both past and present): Zell Miller and Truman

Who is your favorite Republican politician (both past and present): Ronald Reagan/John McCain/Rudy G

Who is your favorite Democratic President (and don't say Obama):Truman

Who is your favorite Republican President: Reagan/Lincoln

Drucifer
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Who is your favorite Democratic politician (both past and present): FDR

Who is your favorite Republican politician (both past and present): Ike

Who is your favorite Democratic President (and don't say Obama): Truman

Who is your favorite Republican President: Lincoln

b1e9a8r5s
01-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Who is your favorite Democratic politician (both past and present): Pat Quinn, Lt Gov of Illinois, he marches to his own drummer. And Richard Daley, everyone goes down around him, yet he's untouchable and tears up airports in the middle of the night and no one can do anything about it
Who is your favorite Republican politician (both past and present): Past, John McCain (Senator), present, Bobby Jindal Gov
Who is your favorite Democratic President (and don't say Obama): Ummmm.
Who is your favorite Republican President: I'm only 27, so I'm going with W. History will favor him much more than the present does.

yaowowrocket11
01-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Past: Robert Kennedy

Present: Christopher Dodd

Past: Colin Powell (I guess I'll consider him the past now)

Present: Tim Pawlenty

Who is your favorite Democratic President (and don't say Obama): FDR

Who is your favorite Republican President: Abraham Lincoln