View Full Version : Top 5 Guards in Blocks

ee
01-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Dwayne Wade - 51
Vince Carter - 16
Kobe Bryant - 12
Tracy McGrady - 10
Jason Richardson - 7

The 2nd one is not even close. This how aggressive and how high Wade gets. He swatted Brook Lopez on a couple of dunk attempts, not lay ups. He does the same thing on the offensive end by driving to the basket....And still people doubt about the calls he gets....

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
hes such a good blocker thAT GUYS dont even go up for dunk attempts on fastbreaks when he is behind them

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Dwayne Wade - 51
Vince Carter - 16
Kobe Bryant - 12
Tracy McGrady - 10
Jason Richardson - 7

The 2nd one is not even close. This how aggressive and how high Wade gets. He swatted Brook Lopez on a couple of dunk attempts, not lay ups. He does the same thing on the offensive end by driving to the basket....And still people doubt about the calls he gets....

he is probably the highest jumping guard in the league

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Dwayne Wade - 51
Vince Carter - 16
Kobe Bryant - 12
Tracy McGrady - 10
Jason Richardson - 7

It probably has something to do with Wade padding his stats trying to help on Brook Lopez instead of defending his own man.

EAGLES3658
01-05-2009, 08:50 PM
I saw that he was averaging around 2 blocks

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 08:57 PM
It probably has something to do with Wade padding his stats trying to help on Brook Lopez instead of defending his own man.

please tell me this was a joke

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 09:03 PM
please tell me this was a joke

Yeah it was a joke, I don't know what I was thinking.

Vince Carter is the second best defensive G.

Chris Paul is the best defensive PG because of all the steals he gets.

Kirilenko is the best defensive SF.

Turiaf is the best defensive PF.

And Dwight is the best defensive C.

:rolleyes:

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
wtf are you talking about. wereyou being serious?

kswissdaf
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM

u my sir have no nba knowledge :smoking:

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM

lol

I think hes trying to diss wade

ee
01-05-2009, 09:11 PM

what are you talking about??? It's blocks, one of the toughest stat to fill, specially for a 6'4 guard......

JordansBulls
01-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Wade is just on a different level nowadays.

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Wade is too agressive on defense. He needs to realize what he can and can't do. He needs to focus more on defending his man and stop trying to help out his teammates, no matter how ****** his team is.

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Wade is too agressive on defense. He needs to realize what he can and can't do. He needs to focus more on defending his man and stop trying to help out his teammates, no matter how ****** his team is.

youre an idiot

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2009, 09:20 PM

if he did that, the heat wouldnt even be above 500

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 09:23 PM

Sure they would.

Either way they're not going anywhere.

Wade might as well learn how to play real defense in an otherwise meaningless season.

ee
01-05-2009, 09:24 PM
I got these stats from NBA TV broadcast......They skipped a bunch of players and only put star quality players...But Wade still way up there....

Here are the real top 5 from nba.com

Wade - 51
Rasual Butler - 18
Andre Iguodala - 17
Vince Carter - 16
Francisco Garcia - 16

ee
01-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Yea, those blocks from Brook Lopez were two easy dunks in a very tight game, one in closing seconds of the 4th, the other in overtime.....Those were clutch defensive plays....

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 09:28 PM
the heat are 4 games over 500 and are 6th in the east without the best 3 pt shooter in the league in james jones who is coming back in a few weeks. how could they not be going anywhere

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Sure they would.

Either way they're not going anywhere.

Wade might as well learn how to play real defense in an otherwise meaningless season.

ya, how dare d wade play great help defense right

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
the heat are 4 games over 500 and are 6th in the east without the best 3 pt shooter in the league in james jones who is coming back in a few weeks. how could they not be going anywhere

If you think your team needs James Jones to turn your season around, you're not going anywhere.

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 09:38 PM
If you think your team needs James Jones to turn your season around, you're not going anywhere.

what are we turning around idiot? we are 4 games over 500 and we havent had a key piece to the team all year. GO AWAY AND STOP TALKING

daleja424
01-05-2009, 09:48 PM
SteveNash...are you really that much of a hater....get over it

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 09:50 PM
what are we turning around idiot? we are 4 games over 500 and we havent had a key piece to the team all year. GO AWAY AND STOP TALKING

Wait until New Jersey gets Stromile Swift back.

Chicago gets Hinrich back.

And New York gets Danilo Gallinari back. Then the Heat are going to be out of the playoffs.

SteveNash...are you really that much of a hater....get over it

I'm a hater of stats, especially defensive stats, and how they overrate players defensively.

daleja424
01-05-2009, 09:53 PM

And New York gets Danilo Gallinari back. Then the Heat are going to be out of the playoffs.

I'm a hater of stats, especially defensive stats, and how they overrate players defensively.

you call the heat pathetic for needed james ones back and then you mention crubs like swift and danilo...get outta here

daleja424
01-05-2009, 09:55 PM

and btw the thread doesnt say that wade is an elite defender...it says shotblocker...Im pretty sure that looking at blocks is a fair way to evaluate how a player blocks shots

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 09:57 PM

new jersey is horrible either way and you mention stro swift? hinrich isnt great to begin with and gallinari hasnt played a nba minute.

on the other hand james jones is literally the best 3 pt shooter in the nba

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
new jersey is horrible either way and you mention stro swift? hinrich isnt great to begin with and gallinari hasnt played a nba minute.

better than Kapono?

daleja424
01-05-2009, 10:01 PM
better than Kapono?

nope...but jones is up there in the top 5 or so

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 10:01 PM
oops, no kapono is better but he attempted way less than jones did in many more games

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Heat are horrible either way, that's the point.

Hinrich is better than JJ. Gallinari has played 6 minutes in the NBA.

and btw the thread doesnt say that wade is an elite defender...it says shotblocker...Im pretty sure that looking at blocks is a fair way to evaluate how a player blocks shots

This thread was created to praise Wade's defensive play and that just shouldn't be the case.

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 10:05 PM

how are the heat horrible when they are 4 games over 500? hinrich is about the same as jj because he wont be playing as much, and wow, 6 minutes?

stop being a hater

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 10:07 PM

This thread was created to praise Wade's defensive play and that just shouldn't be the case.

and why shouldnt it be the case? he is the best defensive guard in the league

Nets fan 93
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Dwayne Wade - 51
Vince Carter - 16
Kobe Bryant - 12
Tracy McGrady - 10
Jason Richardson - 7

I doubt the calls he gets on offense not defense...

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2009, 10:08 PM
i dont like kapono as much now

He doesnt attempt as much 3's

but atleast hes being somewhat smarter and taking the mid range and gets it in so he gives us points

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
and why shouldnt it be the case? he is the best defensive guard in the league

Because he isn't.

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Because he isn't.

he is the best in blocks and one of the best in steals and is a lockdown defender. you are just a hugeeeeeeeeeeeee hater

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
he is the best in blocks

Yep.

and one of the best in steals

Yep.

and is a lockdown defender.

Hell no :)

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Yep.

Yep.

Hell no :)

and why is he not a lockdown defender since you seem to be an expert

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Wade is a top 5 defender for guard position with Kobe, Paul, Billups and ______(<--insert name of other guard)

SteveNash
01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
and why is he not a lockdown defender since you seem to be an expert

Because he doesn't know how to lock players down.

Wade is a top 5 defender for guard position with Kobe, Paul, Billups and ______(<--insert name of other guard)

Calderon :laugh:

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 10:27 PM

ok, great reason. stop talking and leave

GarlicStench
01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
It also shows how your stats can be good when they dont ever call fouls on you.

SFloridaSports
01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
idiots in this world ^^^

G-Funk
01-05-2009, 10:32 PM
he is the best in blocks and one of the best in steals and is a lockdown defender. you are just a hugeeeeeeeeeeeee hater

Hahaha yeah right. anyway. Wade is great at getting steals and blocking from the weakside. Jordan used to do that a lot.

G-Funk
01-05-2009, 10:33 PM

I agree but he is not a lock down defender.

pete_one
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
as long as the blocks are entertaining and gets "OOOHS" out of the audience, stats don't matter! entertainment bby!!

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2009, 10:45 PM

Better defence than Steve Nash

Raps18-19 Champ
01-05-2009, 10:46 PM
I agree but he is not a lock down defender.

Im saying defence in general he is top 5

and i think Kobe is best at lockdowns now

G-Funk
01-05-2009, 10:56 PM

Yeah Wade would be great playing along side with a 1 on 1 defender.

LayZbone
01-05-2009, 11:02 PM

except that his help defense down the stretch was what helped us win that game.

you talk about defending his own man? just check his job on VC....here's a video of both blocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy6qKse-h10

Wade wants to win games.....that's why he blocked Carter (his own man) and Brook lopez (with little time left in the 4th). Padding stats my ***. The only stat that matters is the win.

unwantedplayer
01-05-2009, 11:16 PM
Wade for 08-09 MVP nuff said. Wade is just too good. Wade right now should be up with Kobe and LeBron for being the best in the league.

G-Funk
01-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Wade for 08-09 MVP nuff said. Wade is just too good. Wade right now should be up with Kobe and LeBron for being the best in the league.

H already is bro.

still1ballin
01-05-2009, 11:18 PM

I bet you'd like to have sex with Wade to huh?:eyebrow:

Catfish1314
01-05-2009, 11:20 PM

Actually, he probably is.

Francisco Garcia - 16

And he's only played in like 15 games.

LakerzDQ
01-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Wade's a good defensive player. but I wouldn't say the best overall.

he is a GREAT shotblocker for his position and size. he's playing amazing ball right now.

as a 1 on 1 defender, his opposing SG's average 15.6 PER. In comparison, Vince Carter allows his opposing SG to average 17.1 PER, while Kobe allows 13.4 PER.

the PER stat isn't always accurate though. T-mac allows 13.9 PER to his opposing SG, but Ron Artest guards the best SG's for him. Kobe also has good shotblockers behind him, Bynum and Gasol, so it's easier for him to guard his opponents.

Back to Wade, I've watched a few Heat games, and he's been playing as good as Lebron and Kobe.

SteveNash
01-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Better defence than Steve Nash

Nash is a better defender than Calderon. Not that Nash is a great defender. It's just that Calderon sucks. I mean really really sucks.

Wade isn't a top 5 and Kobe isn't the best lockdown defender. Though you could say Kobe's the best lockdown defending star guard when he tries.

except that his help defense down the stretch was what helped us win that game.

you talk about defending his own man? just check his job on VC....here's a video of both blocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy6qKse-h10

Wade wants to win games.....that's why he blocked Carter (his own man) and Brook lopez (with little time left in the 4th). Padding stats my ***. The only stat that matters is the win.

Block on Vince, it's hard to tell because it doesn't show the begining of the play, as far as the block goes, Wade knocked it out of bounds giving the Nets the ball back anyway. Vince threw up some garbage after running into the Heat player and didn't get the call he would have if he was Wade.

Lopez one was hard to tell as well, it looks like Wade made a good play, but I can't tell who Wade was guarding and how the whole play came about.

Actually, he probably is.

No, he really isn't.

Wade's a good defensive player. but I wouldn't say the best overall.

he is a GREAT shotblocker for his position and size. he's playing amazing ball right now.

as a 1 on 1 defender, his opposing SG's average 15.6 PER. In comparison, Vince Carter allows his opposing SG to average 17.1 PER, while Kobe allows 13.4 PER.

the PER stat isn't always accurate though. T-mac allows 13.9 PER to his opposing SG, but Ron Artest guards the best SG's for him. Kobe also has good shotblockers behind him, Bynum and Gasol, so it's easier for him to guard his opponents.

Back to Wade, I've watched a few Heat games, and he's been playing as good as Lebron and Kobe.

Opposing PER numbers are terrible, and aren't very accurate at determining how good a players defense is.

beau_boy04
01-06-2009, 12:49 AM
his spg and bpg are great. but how is his man to man defense?

Catfish1314
01-06-2009, 12:58 AM
No, he really isn't.

Name a better post defending center. Rasheed Wallace is a pretty good post defender but he's more of a PF than a C

PurpleJesus
01-06-2009, 01:16 AM

how in the world can you diss someone for being to agressive on D? i wish everyone in the league played D that agressively. Stop trying to help his teammates? hahaha, i wish someone would have told Jordan that, that would have been the greatest advice ever.

what54!?
01-06-2009, 01:18 AM
wade is a great defender. He's not the best but the man is a beast. keep it up wade. Lets see if he can make it hundred.

SteveNash
01-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Name a better post defending center. Rasheed Wallace is a pretty good post defender but he's more of a PF than a C

Half the starting centers in the league are better than Dwight, choose one and I'll tell you why.

Since you brought up Rasheed I'll go with him for now:

Rasheed, can defend PF's/C's, for someone as athletic as Dwight is, he seems to be pretty slow laterally and can't keep up with the quickers PFs in the league.

Dwight has a pretty low basketball IQ and struggles to recognize plays before they happen like Rasheed can, making Rasheed the much better help defender. Dwight can come over and block shots better than Rasheed, but Rasheed's usually their much earlier than Dwight and ends up contesting more shots.

Dwight struggles at defending the simplest play in basketball, the pick and roll, this goes back to Dwight being uncomfortable and incapable of guarding players on the perimeter.

Dwight tries to front the post too often, it can work in the regular season but teams with better ball movement will wind up hurting you in the playoffs.

Dwight's lower body strength is lacking compared to his upperbody this isn't such a huge deal in todays game, but it's one reason why he's had such a problem with Yao and if another Shaq rolls along, Howard would be in trouble.

Dwight bites on too many fakes trying to go for blocks instead of just playing solid defense.

how in the world can you diss someone for being to agressive on D? i wish everyone in the league played D that agressively. Stop trying to help his teammates? hahaha, i wish someone would have told Jordan that, that would have been the greatest advice ever.

When being too agressive bites you in the ***. It's like people praising college players for trying hard yet they can't defend at all coming into the NBA and get killed by guys like JJ Redick and Adam Morrison.

BTW, Peterson and the Vikings = Losers

kntresistheheat
01-06-2009, 01:36 AM
:pity:

Half the starting centers in the league are better than Dwight, choose one and I'll tell you why.

Rasheed, can defend PF's/C's, for someone as athletic as Dwight is, he seems to be pretty slow laterally and can't keep up with the quickers PFs in the league.

Dwight has a pretty low basketball IQ and struggles to recognize plays before they happen like Rasheed can, making Rasheed the much better help defender. Dwight can come over and block shots better than Rasheed, but Rasheed's usually their much earlier than Dwight and ends up contesting more shots.

Dwight struggles at defending the simplest play in basketball, the pick and roll, this goes back to Dwight being uncomfortable and incapable of guarding players on the perimeter.

Dwight tries to front the post too often, it can work in the regular season but teams with better ball movement will wind up hurting you in the playoffs.

Dwight's lower body strength is lacking compared to his upperbody this isn't such a huge deal in todays game, but it's one reason why he's had such a problem with Yao and if another Shaq rolls along, Howard would be in trouble.

Dwight bites on too many fakes trying to go for blocks instead of just playing solid defense.

When being too agressive bites you in the ***. It's like people praising college players for trying hard yet they can't defend at all coming into the NBA and get killed by guys like JJ Redick and Adam Morrison.

SteveNash
01-06-2009, 01:45 AM
:pity:

Am I wrong?

Nope, you just know nothing about what good defense is and have no response, except Dwight and Wade got lots of blocks :pity:

Ignored

kntresistheheat
01-06-2009, 01:51 AM
This is coming from a guy that says steve nash is a good defender:rolleyes: Just keep doing what you do best your a hater and thats your job....So keep doing it wade and dwight has about 100 haters out there your just 101. They just have to worry how to get to 102 before the season is over with! I understand everyone is intitiled to their own opinion:eyebrow:

Am I wrong?

Nope, you just know nothing about what good defense is and have no response, except Dwight and Wade got lots of blocks :pity:

Ignored

DQL
01-06-2009, 04:23 AM
Wade is not as great of a defender as his stats says, but he's not a bad one either. Don't forget he used to make the defensive 2nd team in 04-05 season

BUCSFORLIFE123
01-06-2009, 04:53 AM

LOL wow tell me any other guard that gets over 1 block and 2 steals a game? if stats dont mean nothing youre really bad... and watch some of his games he plays great D hahaha this is really hilarious cuz this guy is one of the biggest haters ive seen in awhile hahaha .

BUCSFORLIFE123
01-06-2009, 04:59 AM

just to let you know.. there arent that many good centers.. only bout 5 and youre saying over half are better is extremely exaggerated . dwight howard is def among the top 3 in terms of defending. rebounding is part of defense jsut to let you know which he leads the league in and hes a blocking machine
and if u actually watch nba , which i dont you do u see dwight howard contests shots almost every play . and tell me who does play well against yao or shaq? i know for a dam fact tim duncan struggles alot with them both but hes a solid defender? your points are really bad . ill tell you something that is true for a FACT 95% of the guards in the nba play better D than steve nash

SteveNash
01-06-2009, 07:55 AM
just to let you know.. there arent that many good centers.. only bout 5 and youre saying over half are better is extremely exaggerated . dwight howard is def among the top 3 in terms of defending. rebounding is part of defense jsut to let you know which he leads the league in and hes a blocking machine
and if u actually watch nba , which i dont you do u see dwight howard contests shots almost every play . and tell me who does play well against yao or shaq? i know for a dam fact tim duncan struggles alot with them both but hes a solid defender? your points are really bad . ill tell you something that is true for a FACT 95% of the guards in the nba play better D than steve nash

I agree there aren't that many good centers.

But I'm talking about centers that are better defensively than Dwight and I'm right.

Dwight's rebounding numbers are inflated because he plays on a faster paced team next to Rashard Lewis.

If you don't watch the NBA why are you posting here.

Dwight doesn't contest a whole lot of shots that's the point, again why are you posting if you don't watch the NBA.

Rasheed matches up with Yao well, that's who I was comparing Dwight too, try to keep up. Duncan doesn't even play against Yao all that much, while Rasheed does because even when he had Ben Wallace, Ben was still way too small to effectively match up against Yao so Rasheed had to play him.

Steve Nash is a bad defender, but 95% is too much, I'd go more like 65%.

J-Relo
01-06-2009, 11:22 AM

1) Is Wade really great defensive player? Not really, but he is pretty good.
2) Wade is putting nice numbers, but defense isn't all about numbers...
3) Now Wade is top guard a shotblocking.
4) If he (and his team) is going to improve, then count him in the defensive team.
5) You are overrating James Jones.

Raps18-19 Champ
01-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I bet you'd like to have sex with Wade to huh?:eyebrow:

lol

Raps18-19 Champ
01-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Nash is a better defender than Calderon. Not that Nash is a great defender. It's just that Calderon sucks. I mean really really sucks.

Wade isn't a top 5 and Kobe isn't the best lockdown defender. Though you could say Kobe's the best lockdown defending star guard when he tries.

No Bryant is probably the best at lockdown defending for guards
and wade is top 5 material cuz all those guys like Bell and Battier are getting old

MrBloop
01-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Did any1 see Manu throw Wade's **** last night?

thephoenixson28
01-06-2009, 06:35 PM
This guy stevenash knows nothing about basketball, but don't give the real steve nash crap about his defense just cuz this guys tag name is steve nash. Dwight howard not the best center in the nba "your crazy"your right dwayne wade isn't the best defensive guard kobe wears that crown but dwayne wade is top 5. Stevenash is right about one thing james jones. James jones isn't even top five 3pt shooter I can name 5 right now steve nash,kobe bryant,jason richardson,jason kapono, ray allen.

SFloridaSports
01-06-2009, 06:36 PM
no, pct wise which is reallt what counts, jones is top 3

The Prodigy
01-06-2009, 06:52 PM

thats why the suns cant win a championchip because they have no help defense. what wade does is dificult to do and he still guards his own man at the same time. What defense does steve nash play.

The Prodigy
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM

of course you hate defensive stats because your idol steve nash plays absoluetly no defense and averages like .2 blocks a season

The Prodigy
01-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Because he isn't.

then who is

The Prodigy
01-06-2009, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=SteveNash;7894103]Half the starting centers in the league are better than Dwight, choose one and I'll tell you why.

i also think dwight isnt all that great defender so i actually agree with you on this

thephoenixson28
01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
no, pct wise which is reallt what counts, jones is top 3 I'm pretty sure that steve nash shoots a better %, also j-rich, and if your talking % wise then mason and that other white guy shoot a better that play for san antonio. You can't really say % cuz no one in the nba is going to have a 50 % clip from the three point line when they are putting up 500 shots don't get me wrong james jones is good at shooting threes but I would pick nash,j-rich,kobe,ray allen,peja,korver,kapono,t-mac,radmonivich,pierce, and a lot more other players to hit me three pointers in a game then james jones.

KB24PG16
01-06-2009, 08:01 PM
thats pretty good for a guard

DQL
01-06-2009, 11:17 PM
This guy stevenash knows nothing about basketball, but don't give the real steve nash crap about his defense just cuz this guys tag name is steve nash. Dwight howard not the best center in the nba "your crazy"your right dwayne wade isn't the best defensive guard kobe wears that crown but dwayne wade is top 5. Stevenash is right about one thing james jones. James jones isn't even top five 3pt shooter I can name 5 right now steve nash,kobe bryant,jason richardson,jason kapono, ray allen.

definitely not

thephoenixson28
01-07-2009, 01:56 AM
definitely not go figure well of course your a heat fan you would say haslem is better than dwight howard. I'm a phoenix suns fan you think I like kobe heck no maybe if he was on my team but he is on the lakers so I don't like him. So giving him props where props are due kobe is a better 3pt shooter than james jones.

Bosh=nextKG
01-07-2009, 02:12 AM

srry man, i'm not 100% positive but i'm pretty sure basketball is a team sport so if ur team mate needs help then u go help him out, u always wanna guard the ball so if ur team mate gets beat, u help him out and help him defend his man, thus wade getting blocks

SteveNash
01-07-2009, 02:25 AM
srry man, i'm not 100% positive but i'm pretty sure basketball is a team sport so if ur team mate needs help then u go help him out, u always wanna guard the ball so if ur team mate gets beat, u help him out and help him defend his man, thus wade getting blocks

Helping out at times is good, but Wade tries to do it too much. First he's a perimeter player so if he wants to help out in the paint he could end up being 20+ feet away from his own man. This also leads to Wade ball watching, losing his own man and forcing his team to cover his mistakes.

Help defense is good if it helps your team. Help defense is bad if it hurts your team.

Wade has good enough defenders that he doesn't need to try to help/pad his stats all the time.

And you're still forgetting about Wade not being able to be a lockdown defender even though he has all the physical tools needed to be one. Just lacking the time and effort.

thephoenixson28
01-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Helping out at times is good, but Wade tries to do it too much. First he's a perimeter player so if he wants to help out in the paint he could end up being 20+ feet away from his own man. This also leads to Wade ball watching, losing his own man and forcing his team to cover his mistakes.

Help defense is good if it helps your team. Help defense is bad if it hurts your team.

Wade has good enough defenders that he doesn't need to try to help/pad his stats all the time.

And you're still forgetting about Wade not being able to be a lockdown defender even though he has all the physical tools needed to be one. Just lacking the time and effort.
But who ever said that help defense isn't defense. You could pad your stats by trying to shoot all the time and be hurting your team but I never heard that coming for a weakside block is hurting your team. I woul rather have wade come up and block a lay up or a dunk, and let his man get a jump shot rather then letting someone get easy points by laying it up.

DQL
01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
go figure well of course your a heat fan you would say haslem is better than dwight howard. I'm a phoenix suns fan you think I like kobe heck no maybe if he was on my team but he is on the lakers so I don't like him. So giving him props where props are due kobe is a better 3pt shooter than james jones.

A 34 career 3pt% player is better 3pt shooter than Jones (40%)? NO

thephoenixson28
01-07-2009, 01:52 PM
A 34 career 3pt% player is better 3pt shooter than Jones (40%)? NO You can't go with % cuz kobe put a lot more 3pt shots then james jones. I bet you kobe has more makes then him.

chicagowhitesox
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
he probably has the most fouls too

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 07:20 PM
You can't go with % cuz kobe put a lot more 3pt shots then james jones. I bet you kobe has more makes then him.

than thats bad shot taking. if you think he is better than him and he shoots 6 pts higher from 3 than you are wrong

SteveNash
01-07-2009, 07:24 PM
But who ever said that help defense isn't defense. You could pad your stats by trying to shoot all the time and be hurting your team but I never heard that coming for a weakside block is hurting your team. I woul rather have wade come up and block a lay up or a dunk, and let his man get a jump shot rather then letting someone get easy points by laying it up.

Help defense is defense. It's just they way Wade plays is bad defense.

Yeah Wade can come up and block a layup/dunk 1 time out of 20. The other times he's getting beat, that's not good defense.

A 34 career 3pt% player is better 3pt shooter than Jones (40%)? NO

It's easier to hit three's when all you have to do is wait for your teammates to find you for wide open shots.

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Help defense is defense. It's just they way Wade plays is bad defense.

Yeah Wade can come up and block a layup/dunk 1 time out of 20. The other times he's getting beat, that's not good defense.

It's easier to hit three's when all you have to do is wait for your teammates to find you for wide open shots.

how do you know this? you are an idiot, he is not getting beat. stop making stuff up an being a hater.

well maybe you shouldnt be shooting 3's if youre not open

theuuord
01-07-2009, 07:27 PM
lol this SteveNash guy is pure comedy.

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
he really is an idiot isnt he? d wade getting beat a lot on defense? good one

HiphopRelated
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM

sorry chief, but the Heat's TEAM DEFENSE is built on forcing turnovers because of a lack of Center. "Playing your man" would kill Miami. It's more about rotations than staying on some random player

Thats why the Heat is among league leaders in that category and also high on opp fg%, so obviously, he's doing something right

SteveNash
01-07-2009, 08:06 PM
how do you know this? you are an idiot, he is not getting beat. stop making stuff up an being a hater.

well maybe you shouldnt be shooting 3's if youre not open

Do you watch Heat games?

sorry chief, but the Heat's TEAM DEFENSE is built on forcing turnovers because of a lack of Center. "Playing your man" would kill Miami. It's more about rotations than staying on some random player

Thats why the Heat is among league leaders in that category and also high on opp fg%, so obviously, he's doing something right

Actually Heat try to steal because their offense sucks and they need fast break points, so you fail right away.

Second, the Heat have a pretty good defensive team without Wade. Yes they hurt at the Center position. But more than half the teams in the NBA don't have a center that will beat you.

Third, going for steals is fine. Going for steals everytime is bad. Obviously you don't know what good defense is.

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Do you watch Heat games?

Actually Heat try to steal because their offense sucks and they need fast break points, so you fail right away.

Second, the Heat have a pretty good defensive team without Wade. Yes they hurt at the Center position. But more than half the teams in the NBA don't have a center that will beat you.

Third, going for steals is fine. Going for steals everytime is bad. Obviously you don't know what good defense is.

you dont know what you are talking about and yes i do watch heat games and i suggest you start to as well if it will make you stop making things up.

and the heat are not a bad offensive team. we have marion, haslem, wade, chalmers, cook, jones, zo when he comes back, and beasley. all of those guys are good on the offensive side

you dont know what defense is period

NFLNBA
01-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Wade has also shot 326 FT's a hundred more then any other 2 guard...........only player getting more FT's is Dwight Howard LOL the man lives at the line.

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:22 PM
that could have something to do with him driving almost every time he gets the ball and having a great pump fake. quit complaining and watch tonights game for proof

NFLNBA
01-07-2009, 08:33 PM
that could have something to do with him driving almost every time he gets the ball and having a great pump fake. quit complaining and watch tonights game for proof

Ive watched a couple of there games and your a idiot if you dont see the love that man gets! I really dont care either but its the truth not like Miami is having any success anyway with him living at the line lol

Wade 326 FT

Kobe 238 FT

Now i hate mr. Bryant but i watch a lot of Laker games 2 being as though they always win the NBA fan vote night and he neems to drive a lot to but he doesnt get a whistle anytime a player thinks about maybe playing D against him. Kobe has the best footwork-pumpfake of any guard and he's 100 FT behind Wade?

Your gonna defend your boy either way because i would do the same for any Kings player but im not bias for this situation just saying when a guard has just as much FT's as Dwight Howard something is wrong

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Ive watched a couple of there games and your a idiot if you dont see the love that man gets! I really dont care either but its the truth not like Miami is having any success anyway with him living at the line lol

Wade 326 FT

Kobe 238 FT

Now i hate mr. Bryant but i watch a lot of Laker games 2 being as though they always win the NBA fan vote night and he neems to drive a lot to but he doesnt get a whistle anytime a player thinks about maybe playing D against him. Kobe has the best footwork-pumpfake of any guard and he's 100 FT behind Wade?

Your gonna defend your boy either way because i would do the same for any Kings player but im not bias for this situation just saying when a guard has just as much FT's as Dwight Howard something is wrong

not having any success? were 3 games over 500 and most likely 4 by tonight and 5 after friday. kobe is more on the perimeter and gets good look in the paint. he doesnt really get fouledas much because he doesnt drive as hard as d wade

y should dwight howard have the most free throws? why should it have to be a center?

SteveNash
01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
you dont know what you are talking about and yes i do watch heat games and i suggest you start to as well if it will make you stop making things up.

and the heat are not a bad offensive team. we have marion, haslem, wade, chalmers, cook, jones, zo when he comes back, and beasley. all of those guys are good on the offensive side

you dont know what defense is period

Then maybe you should stop ball watching like Wade and watch what Wade is doing to actually defend.

The Heat are a terrible offensive team sorry. Wade is the only player that can create his own shot right now.

Sorry.

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Then maybe you should stop ball watching like Wade and watch what Wade is doing to actually defend.

The Heat are a terrible offensive team sorry. Wade is the only player that can create his own shot right now.

Sorry.

maybe you should actually watch the heat play and i do watch him play defense, i have season tickets. and you can actually watch the individuals play unlike what you watch the heat on, tv. so stop making stuff up

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:46 PM
and cook chalmers, and beasley all can create their own shot.

SteveNash
01-07-2009, 08:57 PM
maybe you should actually watch the heat play and i do watch him play defense, i have season tickets. and you can actually watch the individuals play unlike what you watch the heat on, tv. so stop making stuff up

I wasn't aware that the tv broadcast blocked out the team playing defense :rolleyes:

and cook chalmers, and beasley all can create their own shot.

I was talking about them being able to create their own shot while shooting a higher percentage.

NFLNBA
01-07-2009, 08:59 PM
not having any success? were 3 games over 500 and most likely 4 by tonight and 5 after friday. kobe is more on the perimeter and gets good look in the paint. he doesnt really get fouledas much because he doesnt drive as hard as d wade

y should dwight howard have the most free throws? why should it have to be a center?

Like i said your gonna defend your boy and thats kool im telling you i watch both play and no Kobe doesnt sit on the perimeter he drives but he dont get the calls so why would you continue to drive and get hacked with no calls? Wade drives and gets a Whistle so he continues to drive........hey thats great your team has a guy the refs like thats a good thing i wish my Kings had a guy with his talant and with the love wade gets from the refs.

It doesnt have to be a center but again if you watched the Magic play teams just intentally foul howard and send him to the line on perpose because a dunk is 100% his FT's are GARBAGE.

So you have a guy always getting attentanally fould and Wade has just as much FT's then him? That doesnt seem off to you?

Also 18-15 is not success lol well i guess you are playing in the East so you can make the playoffs being a 500 club LOL:clap:

SFloridaSports
01-07-2009, 08:59 PM
my god aare you stupid. i am done with you

thephoenixson28
01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
than thats bad shot taking. if you think he is better than him and he shoots 6 pts higher from 3 than you are wrong he is bound to get a low % if he fires up a bunch of threes I'm pretty sure james jones % is going to go lower the more 3 pointers he shoots but james jones isn't a better 3pt shooter than kobe.

NFLNBA
01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
my god aare you stupid. i am done with you

im sorry buddy........i guess you cant handle the truth.......but when it all comes down to it at the end the Heat are garbage.

DQL
01-07-2009, 09:24 PM
You can't go with % cuz kobe put a lot more 3pt shots then james jones. I bet you kobe has more makes then him.

more makes in way more playing time doesn't make sense.

Career 48 min avg: Kobe 1.7 3pt made per game, Jones 2.9 3pt made per game (on way higher percentage)

Though Kobe is holding NBA record for 3pt made in a game but it doesn't mean he's a great 3pt shooter. He just took a lot of shots

DQL
01-07-2009, 09:26 PM

well so I guess Kobe is better 3pt shooter than Kapono :rolleyes:

SteveNash
01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
What a pathetic defensive effort by Wade and the rest of the Miami Heat.

kntresistheheat
01-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Whats pathetic the suns not putting up no defense to hold down granger.To bad that your suns could not hold of the pacers.....Dude the pacers!:rolleyes:

What a pathetic defensive effort by Wade and the rest of the Miami Heat.

PurpleJesus
01-08-2009, 01:33 AM

how is being agressive on D anything like that?

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 01:41 AM
Kapono and James Jones are better pure shooters than Kobe but I would pick Kobe to shoot a game winning clutch 3. That's just how it is.

And on the defense situation, Wade gets the most blocks, but doesn't mean he's the best defensive guard. Bruce Bowen doesn't get a lot of blocks. I'm not saying that Wade is a bad defender but blocks IMO is a poor barometer of overall defense.

Most of the points SteveNash makes is right. Dwight Howard IS a poor post defender. Don't be fooled by the name and by the blocks. If you watch his post game, he doesn't have the fundamentals of post defense down. Same goes for weak side shotblockers such as Josh Smith and Ronny Turiaf. Doesn't mean they're great lock down defenders. That might even indicate that they're bad one-on-one defenders since they're too focused on helping out on the weak side that they forget they have someone they need to cover themselves.

SteveNash
01-08-2009, 02:20 AM
how is being agressive on D anything like that?

Someone passes it to Wade's man, Wade gambles for the steal but misses is way out of position. Wade's man can then either shoot a wide open shot or drive the basket forcing Wade's teammates to rotate throwing their whole defense out of whack.

Bosh=nextKG
01-08-2009, 02:21 AM
This SteveNash guy is hilarious. Wut would u know about defense? u support a team that doesnt know what defense is. Wade is a very good defender becasue of his physical abilities, he is one of teh quickest players in teh game, he can change directions like no other. He can also jump very high, so he comes over to help, like a good team player is supposed to, and the ball is passed to his man, he is quick enough to get back. Dwade is a very good on ball and off ball defender. He doesn't help out of d to pad his stats, it's to win games. He has a young center and his team is fairly undersized. Having Haslem or Marion at PF, so when facing a big team the Heat have trouble with them. I would rather give up a jump shot than easy pts in teh paint. With Wade helping out, those easy pts in the paint aren't so easy anymore.

theuuord
01-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Hey hey ! SteveNash! Yeah, you. SteveNash. You know, you. The guy who thinks Dwyane Wade is a negative defender.

When Dwayne Wade is playing basketball - you know, defense - for the Miami Heat, the team as a whole allows 104.8 points per 100 possessions. Which isn't great, but not bad - it's an above average defensive output.

Now, see, when Dwyane Wade is on the bench - sitting, maybe drinking some Gatorade or scoping for women - the Miami Heat as a team allows 112.8 points per 100 possessions. That's pretty bad. That's like, worst in the league bad.

So, Dwyane Wade actually saves about 7.5 points per 100 possessions with his defensive contribution alone. This obviously factors in his help defense, and the help defense of the team, which you seem to think is horrible.

So, SteveNash, if you may:
If Dwyane Wade is a bad defender (and a bad team defender), how do you explain the Heat being an above average defensive team with him on the floor, and a horrible defensive team with him off it?

I'll be waiting.

(Oh, and don't use the cliche'd, tired out, "oh stats mean nothing" argument. Because it is so tiresome, and pointless, and such a crutch for men who love basketball but hate change.)

SteveNash
01-08-2009, 02:44 AM
Hey hey ! SteveNash! Yeah, you. SteveNash. You know, you. The guy who thinks Dwyane Wade is a negative defender.

When Dwayne Wade is playing basketball - you know, defense - for the Miami Heat, the team as a whole allows 104.8 points per 100 possessions. Which isn't great, but not bad - it's an above average defensive output.

Now, see, when Dwyane Wade is on the bench - sitting, maybe drinking some Gatorade or scoping for women - the Miami Heat as a team allows 112.8 points per 100 possessions. That's pretty bad. That's like, worst in the league bad.

So, Dwyane Wade actually saves about 7.5 points per 100 possessions with his defensive contribution alone. This obviously factors in his help defense, and the help defense of the team, which you seem to think is horrible.

So, SteveNash, if you may:
If Dwyane Wade is a bad defender (and a bad team defender), how do you explain the Heat being an above average defensive team with him on the floor, and a horrible defensive team with him off it?

I'll be waiting.

(Oh, and don't use the cliche'd, tired out, "oh stats mean nothing" argument. Because it is so tiresome, and pointless, and such a crutch for men who love basketball but hate change.)

Zaza Pachulia best defensive center in the game saves 11.7 points per 100 possessions.

Lamar Odom defensive demon saves 8.5 points per 100.

Matt Bonner the anchor of the Spurs defense saves 8 points per 100 possessions.

And lets not forget how ****** Tim Duncan's numbers are. The man gives up 5.5 more points per 100 possession when he's on the court, San Antonio should never play him.

Lets make more assumptions based on/off defensive numbers.

Nash better d than Kobe.

Calderon better d than Billups.

Ray Allen best defender on the Celtics, better than Rondo, Pierce, KG.

Sebastian Telfair better defender than Tayshaun Prince.

Nick Younger better defender than Bowen.

Is that enough evidence to prove to you that on/off numbers have serious flaws when talking about defense?

Why are on/off numbers a problem? Because it's mostly about who you're playing with and who is backing you up.

theuuord
01-08-2009, 02:47 AM
Zaza Pachulia best defensive center in the game saves 11.7 points per 100 possessions.

And lets not forget how ****** Tim Duncan's numbers are. The man gives up 5.5 more points per 100 possession when he's on the court, San Antonio should never play him.

Nash better d than Kobe.

Is that enough evidence to prove to you that on/off numbers have serious flaws when talking about defense?

Why are on/off numbers a problem? Because it's mostly about who you're playing with and who is backing you up.

lol @ most of your comparisons being across different positions.

AAAAAAAND not answering the question.

Glad to see you got the point.
Have a nice day.

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 02:47 AM

Nash better d than Kobe.

:laugh:

Good one.

SteveNash
01-08-2009, 02:54 AM
lol @ most of your comparisons being across different positions.

AAAAAAAND not answering the question.

Glad to see you got the point.
Have a nice day.

SG Nick Young is a better defender than SG Dwyane Wade.

The Prodigy
01-08-2009, 03:26 AM

Wade 326 FT

Kobe 238 FT

what i dont understand why last year lebron was getting to the line 10 times a game nobody mentioned anything bad about that.

The Prodigy
01-08-2009, 03:30 AM
Like i said your gonna defend your boy and thats kool im telling you i watch both play and no Kobe doesnt sit on the perimeter he drives but he dont get the calls so why would you continue to drive and get hacked with no calls? Wade drives and gets a Whistle so he continues to drive........hey thats great your team has a guy the refs like thats a good thing i wish my Kings had a guy with his talant and with the love wade gets from the refs.
It doesnt have to be a center but again if you watched the Magic play teams just intentally foul howard and send him to the line on perpose because a dunk is 100% his FT's are GARBAGE.

So you have a guy always getting attentanally fould and Wade has just as much FT's then him? That doesnt seem off to you?

Also 18-15 is not success lol well i guess you are playing in the East so you can make the playoffs being a 500 club LOL:clap:

last year kevin martin got to the free throw line 9.5 times a game so you actually do. everyone is complainig about wade cause he is scorchin their team. Just get over it and do your research before you make silly comments and the kings wouldnt make playoffs in the east

SwaggaIke
01-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Anybody who believes Heat fans are overrated James Jones and the potential of our team is foolish. Look at our roster and look at the roster of a Cleveland. Look at the philosophy of their coach and look at Spo's. Cleveland thrives off playing good defense and LeBron penetrating and finishing or penetrating and dishing to his great shooters. We have been winning games PRIMARILY on defensive effort this year. You add a sniper like James Jones to Chris Quinn and Daequan Cook, both top 20 3pt shooters in the league this year and you have that same combination of elements. I'm not saying we'll be challenging in the East, but we'll definitely be around. You add in a healthy Alonzo Mourning in a few weeks for about 20-25 minutes of defensive effort a night (ala Ben Wallace) and you almost have the makings of mirror teams.

SwaggaIke
01-08-2009, 06:30 AM
SG Nick Young is a better defender than SG Dwyane Wade.

Are you serious? Nick Young's minutes fluctuate on the nightly basis because of his inconsistencies on BOTH ends of the court. Wow, i've never seen one man spew so much ignorance. Wade definitely isn't the best defender in the game and he's not a great defender by any stretch. But in his position who could be? The man has to carry his team offensively every single night, but still gives it 100% on both ends nightly. He's a top 5 defender for his position in the league and the opposition knows that when he steps on the floor. Our defense is based on gambling to get buckets in the open floor and utilize our small lineup. Of course he's going to gamble on steals in blocks. But most times it pays off and if it doesn't, so be it...we're still miles ahead of 07-08 on both ends of the floor w/ minimal talent.

JJ81
01-08-2009, 07:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYo6xoInotg

SteveNash
01-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Anybody who believes Heat fans are overrated James Jones and the potential of our team is foolish. Look at our roster and look at the roster of a Cleveland. Look at the philosophy of their coach and look at Spo's. Cleveland thrives off playing good defense and LeBron penetrating and finishing or penetrating and dishing to his great shooters. We have been winning games PRIMARILY on defensive effort this year. You add a sniper like James Jones to Chris Quinn and Daequan Cook, both top 20 3pt shooters in the league this year and you have that same combination of elements. I'm not saying we'll be challenging in the East, but we'll definitely be around. You add in a healthy Alonzo Mourning in a few weeks for about 20-25 minutes of defensive effort a night (ala Ben Wallace) and you almost have the makings of mirror teams.

James Jones should help a little bit, but we're almost half way through the season. Jones had his injury on his shooting hand. Zo is old and hasn't played in a year. I don't know how you're going to expect both of them to come in and contribute a whole lot right away. If you can admit that you're not going to challenge in the East what was wrong about my statement.

You're not going to challenge the East with your current lineup. And that's not going to change with Jones and Zo.

Are you serious? Nick Young's minutes fluctuate on the nightly basis because of his inconsistencies on BOTH ends of the court. Wow, i've never seen one man spew so much ignorance. Wade definitely isn't the best defender in the game and he's not a great defender by any stretch. But in his position who could be? The man has to carry his team offensively every single night, but still gives it 100% on both ends nightly. He's a top 5 defender for his position in the league and the opposition knows that when he steps on the floor. Our defense is based on gambling to get buckets in the open floor and utilize our small lineup. Of course he's going to gamble on steals in blocks. But most times it pays off and if it doesn't, so be it...we're still miles ahead of 07-08 on both ends of the floor w/ minimal talent.

The on/off court defensive numbers prove that Nick Young is a better defender than Dwyane Wade. theuuord proved that they are the only thing that matters as they're the only thing that can measure how great a player defensively is.

SwaggaIke
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't care about any numbers he posted. I judge defense by what I see night in and night out and if we could rate defense on a scale of 1 to 100, Young isn't even within 30 points of Dwyane.

Aapox
01-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Lol, wow. I actually read through this whole post. I gotta say, I agree with SteveNash most of the time. He's really the only one arguing with concrete logic.

thephoenixson28
01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
This SteveNash guy is hilarious. Wut would u know about defense? u support a team that doesnt know what defense is. Wade is a very good defender becasue of his physical abilities, he is one of teh quickest players in teh game, he can change directions like no other. He can also jump very high, so he comes over to help, like a good team player is supposed to, and the ball is passed to his man, he is quick enough to get back. Dwade is a very good on ball and off ball defender. He doesn't help out of d to pad his stats, it's to win games. He has a young center and his team is fairly undersized. Having Haslem or Marion at PF, so when facing a big team the Heat have trouble with them. I would rather give up a jump shot than easy pts in teh paint. With Wade helping out, those easy pts in the paint aren't so easy anymore.
Don't give our team crap just cuz you don't agree with this guy stevenash cuz the last time I checked the raptors aint doing so good on both the offense and defense. The only guy that holds up that team is bosh so don't give our team crap about playing defense. Heat fans you guys are overrating james jones he hasn't played a game for you and you swear he is the best 3 pt shooter. Nobody even new who james jones was until he went to phoenix. James jones was a good player don't get me wrong but he aint going to change your team around when he comes back.

SFloridaSports
01-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Don't give our team crap just cuz you don't agree with this guy stevenash cuz the last time I checked the raptors aint doing so good on both the offense and defense. The only guy that holds up that team is bosh so don't give our team crap about playing defense. Heat fans you guys are overrating james jones he hasn't played a game for you and you swear he is the best 3 pt shooter. Nobody even new who james jones was until he went to phoenix. James jones was a good player don't get me wrong but he aint going to change your team around when he comes back.

yes he will because he will stretch the floor and we dont have any consistent 3 pt shooters