PDA

View Full Version : Could David Lee be the First Domino?

blackjack_119
01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
As I read all of the rumors about Portland's interest in David Lee, they don't really make sense. Lee is a terrific player and would not get a lot of playing time in a big man rotation that includes: LaMarcus Aldridge, Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla. Does Portland really think 20min/gm from David Lee is worth Jerryd Bayless and filler?

Then I got to thinking... what if Portland is looking at David Lee as their starting PF? Portland's glaring needs are at SF and PG. While there are many teams on the verge of the dreaded "Rebuild" who have talented SF's, most of them want big men in return (something up until now, Portland hasn't been willing to trade away.

If Portland does acquire David Lee, they may be inclined to trade away LaMarcus Aldridge. Aldridge is the perfect fit for many of the teams shopping their small forwards. I could see "Aldridge for Gerald Wallace" "Aldridge for Caron Butler (Jamison moving to SF)" or possibly "Aldridge for Tayshaun Prince" with filler being added to make each trade work.

To make things even more interesting, since David Lee's salary is so low, his cap hold will be small enough that the Blazers could pursue the gem at the PF position this offseason, Carlos Boozer, while keeping Lee as a Restricted Free Agent.

Trades:
Bayless + Frye + 2nd Round (2009) for David Lee
Aldridge + Outlaw for Prince OR Butler OR Gerald Wallace

Sign:
Carlos Boozer

How scary would that Portland team be?
C: Oden/Przybilla
PF: Boozer/Lee
SF: Prince; Butler; Wallace/Webster
SG: Roy/Fernandez
PG: Blake/Rodriguez

Ansy
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
One thing I've learned about Pritchard is that he doggedly pursues value. If he can get Lee for less than Lee's worth he's going to do everything in his power to do so and worry about what to do with him later.

I do think that if we get Lee that Aldridge could become expendable for the right offer, but he's worth way more than Butler or Wallace. My guess is that Pritchard has his eyes on some of that 2010 talent. There are numerous teams who will be at risk of losing a top 10 talent to that free agent class and if Portland can provide a home that one of those players is willing to extend at, Portland could package, say, LaMarcus + Rudy and acquire a top 10 talent without the other GM getting fired over it.

Ansy
01-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Man, this post had me thinking about just how awesome Prince would be for this team. I think he's the only player in the league who is not a top 20 talent who I would trade guys like Rudy/Batum/Bayless for.

nyKnicks126
01-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Man I am liking the Bayless trade for us, really Portland and the fans there deserve a hard worker like Lee, so I will be happy if he goes there instead of somewhere else, but overall I will be sad seeing him leave New York.

ragee
01-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Sfs? How about LA for Lebron?!:D

A.Mopp
01-06-2009, 12:25 AM
I still would not trade Bayless. Also i am pretty sure Boozer is headed to Miami this offseason

GregOden#1
01-06-2009, 12:29 AM
Lee doesn't make Aldridge expendable. Oden and Lee is nowhere near as good as Oden and Aldridge is and will be for the next 15 years.

Edit: Not that Lee is a bad player, but out of all the players on this team that "fit" I'd say Aldridge fits the best along with Oden and Roy. They complement their games perfectly. Batum too, Bayless to a lesser extent. The only guy I'd trade Aldridge for is Bosh, and that's only because Bosh is a rich man's Aldridge, so he fits perfectly here too.

brevinknight
01-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Lee doesn't make Aldridge expendable. Oden and Lee is nowhere near as good as Oden and Aldridge is and will be for the next 15 years.

Edit: Not that Lee is a bad player, but out of all the players on this team that "fit" I'd say Aldridge fits the best along with Oden and Roy. They complement their games perfectly. Batum too, Bayless to a lesser extent. The only guy I'd trade Aldridge for is Bosh, and that's only because Bosh is a rich man's Aldridge, so he fits perfectly here too.

Couldnt agree more bro

Tblaze
01-06-2009, 10:58 AM

+1 besides I think we would get Wallace for alot less then Aldridge, he's almost a borderline all-star, still young... Perfect complement to Oden. Lee is not.