PDA

View Full Version : A's closing in on Giambi

yankswin27
01-05-2009, 06:21 PM
01/05/09 4:22 PM EST

Source: A's closing in on Giambi
Free-agent first baseman could sign one-year deal this week
By Mychael Urban / MLB.com

OAKLAND -- The Rays agreed to terms with free-agent outfielder Pat Burrell on Monday, dramatically increasing the likelihood of free-agent first baseman Jason Giambi returning to the A's.
An industry source told MLB.com on Monday afternoon that Oakland could sign Giambi this week, likely to a one-year deal with a possible second-year option.

A's general manager Billy Beane, who is known to have had several conversations with Giambi and his agent, Arn Tellem, cited his long-standing policy against discussing negotiations while declining comment Monday afternoon.

The A's and Rays have long been viewed as the front-runners to sign Giambi for the past several weeks. But former Athletics player Carlos Pena is locked in at first base for Tampa and Burrell is expected to serve as the defending American League champions' designated hitter, so the Rays appear to have no room for Giambi.

The reported terms of Burrell's deal -- two years at $8 million per season -- also seem to favor the A's.

Burrell, 32, batted .250 with 33 home runs, 86 RBIs and a .367 on-base percentage while making about $14.25 million with the world champion Phillies last season. Giambi, 37, batted .247 with 32 homers, 96 RBIs and a .373 OBP while making nearly $23.5 million for the Yankees.

Giambi, who made his big league debut with Oakland in 1995 and was the AL MVP in 2000 before signing with the Yankees as a free agent after the 2001 season, likely would play first base for the A's. Jack Cust, who led Oakland in homers and RBIs for the second consecutive season last year, is penciled in at designated hitter.

The A's also are said to have been in contact with the representatives for free-agent outfielders Bobby Abreu and Garret Anderson, but the team has Matt Holliday slated to start in left field, 2008 rookie standout Ryan Sweeney penciled in at center and several promising young outfielders as options in right.

Oakland's first baseman last season was rookie Daric Barton, 23, who batted .226 with nine homers, 47 RBIs and a .327 OBP.

yankswin27
01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
The A's are gonna have quite a powerful lineup with Holliday, Cust, Giambi, etc. Does this mean Giambi at first base will block highly-touted Daric Barton?

ruckus16969
01-05-2009, 06:52 PM
The A's are gonna have quite a powerful lineup with Holliday, Cust, Giambi, etc. Does this mean Giambi at first base will block highly-touted Daric Barton?

Cust sucked last year. He did alright in the first couple months but after that he kinda Sunk. The A's should sign Sheets too if they go after Giambi.. They need some pitching. But Holliday and Giambi will be a pretty good 3-4 punch

GrkGawdofWalkz
01-05-2009, 06:55 PM

.216 BA and .327 OBP, not that great. lol

leiasgoldbikini
01-05-2009, 07:57 PM
Better off leaving Cust as a PH or occassional DH when it's a favorable matchup and let Barton develop his hitting as the regular DH.

con_artist
01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Their offense is definitely gonna be good now but I doubt their pitching will be good enough to compete with the halos

Dburch1102
01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
A's def making a run for it... this offseason came out of nowhere IMO.

Cheezombie
01-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Cust sucked last year. He did alright in the first couple months but after that he kinda Sunk. The A's should sign Sheets too if they go after Giambi.. They need some pitching. But Holliday and Giambi will be a pretty good 3-4 punch

i think you have it kinda backwards, cust sucked at the beginning and then started doing well. Cust has had better ops+ than ryan howard last 2 seasons.

Maz60
01-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Actually, Cust hit around .230 before and after the Break, had 18 HRs before, 15 after.

DJYankee
01-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Man was this guy bad with runners in scoring position this year but he will give that line-up

the same thing frank thomas did with them couple years ago.

italianyankees
01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Giambi and Holliday is still not enough to compete with the teams in the west. Now they at least have a shot though but getting rid of their closer this offseason didn't help either. And without Harden and Blanton their pitching cant hold up.

Cheezombie
01-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Giambi and Holliday is still not enough to compete with the teams in the west. Now they at least have a shot though but getting rid of their closer this offseason didn't help either. And without Harden and Blanton their pitching cant hold up.

sure they got rid of their closer, but they had one guy who set the era record last season in Devine, and another who set the record in scoreless innings to start a career in Ziegler. Even without street, the bullpen is one of the best. Even if the starting rotation is slightly below average, the bullpen pulls it up a bit, and the offense is looking to be above average, and miles better than anaheim's. The gab is much closer than you think. And the pitching has always held up without harden, seeing as he never played.

Stash
01-05-2009, 10:17 PM
Better off leaving Cust as a PH or occassional DH when it's a favorable matchup and let Barton develop his hitting as the regular DH.

When the A's traded for Holliday they basically said "we are trying to compete this year". Sitting a productive power bat in Cust for a young developing hitter like Barton in the hopes that he improves would clash with the 'win now' direction we have taken.

beast montero
01-05-2009, 10:18 PM

They always find pitching.

Maz60
01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Brad Ziegler. Gonna be the greatest Jewish relief pitcher in history. John Grabow, eat your heart out!

Your my boy Blu
01-05-2009, 11:11 PM
The A's have very good pitching, young but good. They were #10 in overall pitching, I believe even better in starting pitching. Two young guns in the waiting Cahill and Anderson both B+/A-

But, Sheets would be a great addition. You hear mean Bean Sheets would be a great addition.

Maz60
01-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Im reading teams are very concerned by Sheets' medical reports.

Your my boy Blu
01-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Im reading teams are very concerned by Sheets' medical reports.

I've heard that too. Maybe the BB express can work out a minor league contract, if Sheets would buy into that.

cHi8DaL5LA420
01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
he'll have his freedom back he can grow his hair long and grow a beard like i did when he was in oakland... steinbrenner doesnt allow that kind of stuff...if he goes back to oakland im saying he hits a little over .300 35 hrs and 100 rbis... he ll be tough

JobaTheHeat62
01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
funny the yankees end up with swisher and giambi goes to the As...i think both players are similar offensively, swisher is just alot younger. good luck mustache!

JobaTheHeat62
01-05-2009, 11:20 PM
he'll have his freedom back he can grow his hair long and grow a beard like i did when he was in oakland... steinbrenner doesnt allow that kind of stuff...if he goes back to oakland im saying he hits a little over .300 35 hrs and 100 rbis... he ll be tough

wow giambi is not hitting .300..did you watch baseball last year?

Your my boy Blu
01-05-2009, 11:23 PM
wow giambi is not hitting .300..did you watch baseball last year?

Yea and Frankie T was done too.

300 is high but I'll take 30+ HR's

CA_Baseball_Fan
01-05-2009, 11:54 PM
I would take similar numbers from last year -- .250 AVG, 30+HR, 90+RBI. That would be huge for the A's, especially batting in front of or behind Holliday.

Not that worried about pitching. Last year the Angels had a 3.99 team ERA. The A's 4.01. Harden and Blanton combined had a 3.96 ERA, almost the team average. I think they can still pitch well without these guys.

Tragedy
01-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Well aren't the A's just trying to go right for this win now mentality, eh?

I like Giambi, and I liked him even more when he was mashing balls for the A's. Hope he does well if he does indeed sign.

con_artist
01-06-2009, 09:30 PM
TUESDAY, 6:50pm: Mike Puma of the New York Post says the deal is for one-year at $4.5MM with a $5MM club option ($1MM buyout) for 2010. The physical is scheduled for tomorrow.

MLBTR

Looks like it's done and what a fantastic deal for the A's

Maz60
01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Hes getting only a half million more than Nick Punto. :speechless: