PDA

View Full Version : Bradley to Cubs

MooseWithFleas
01-05-2009, 05:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3811744&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

The Chicago Cubs have agreed to a three-year, $30 million contract with free-agent outfielder Milton Bradley, sources told ESPN on Monday.

The deal is pending a physical.

Bradley led the American League in on-base percentage last season while batting .321 with 22 homers for the Texas Rangers.

gocubs2118
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Hopefully he is good for 125 games. I love his bat but I just hate how injury prone he is.

Cullksinikers
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

If he's stays healthy, this guy is a great hitter, and this would be great for the Cubbies.

Ph1lly Diehard
01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Alot of money for a guy that is made out of glass. But if he can play 125 or so games like Gocubs said it would be good.

DaSox_05
01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Wow thats a good price but he is a DH he has not played D for a real good amount of time since 2006. Right field in Wrigley is a scary position with the wind and sun. Hopefully he has something left in his legs to play D.

davidfox11
01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
i am guessing him and sori will give us 162 games combined next year so it just means we have one position in the outfield filled for the year

firecrotchboggs
01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
its always fun to see the cubs blow it with an awesome team, it makes me feel a whole lot better about how the yankees have ****ed **** up the last 8 years, i just think to myself 8 years aint so bad when they have ****ed up **** for 100 years :)

Matt-the-great
01-05-2009, 05:41 PM
the guy's abilities are just phenomenal....he is like the Rich Harden of hitters....

and we know how successful Harden was in Chicago....

Bradley had a ****ing .436 Obp last season....

the key to Bradley will be to use him in 3/4 of the games...play him 3 and give him a day off. they definetely have the depth to replace him 1/4 of the games....

1. Theriot
2. Soriano
3. Lee
4. Ramirez
5. Bradley
6. Soto
7. Fontenot
8. Fukudome

=== Dominating

bronxbombers427
01-05-2009, 05:44 PM
I thought hed get something lik 12-15 Million but i guess i was wrong

Tragedy
01-05-2009, 05:47 PM
That's scary. I love Milton's potential, but three years at $10 per? Not sure I would have gone past 2 years, but we shall see.

Hope he does well.

redwhitenblue
01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
i am guessing him and sori will give us 162 games combined next year so it just means we have one position in the outfield filled for the year
If only you mattered enough to listen to

If Bradley plays 120 games the Cubs will get great production from RF, if he plays 100 games it will be good, any less and the price starts to outweigh the production

MooseWithFleas
01-05-2009, 05:50 PM
the guy's abilities are just phenomenal....he is like the Rich Harden of hitters....

and we know how successful Harden was in Chicago....

Bradley had a ****ing .436 Obp last season....

the key to Bradley will be to use him in 3/4 of the games...play him 3 and give him a day off. they definetely have the depth to replace him 1/4 of the games....

1. Theriot
2. Soriano
3. Lee
4. Ramirez
5. Bradley
6. Soto
7. Fontenot
8. Fukudome

=== Dominating

where would aaron miles fit in? is he just going to be a supersub?

yahmez88
01-05-2009, 05:51 PM
It will be interesting to see if he can stay healthy playing the field, he is a great fit for the batting order though.

redwhitenblue
01-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes, Miles is nothing but Cedeno's lesser talented replacement.

The Cubs have to trade Pie and Cedeno, who are both out of options. They picked up Gathright and Miles to replace those two basically.

IRUAM #21
01-05-2009, 05:53 PM

Yea he replaces Derosa

Maz60
01-05-2009, 05:54 PM
It will be interesting to see if he can stay healthy playing the field, he is a great fit for the batting order though.

LOL. He'll be limping by the 7th inning of Opening Day.

Giants27
01-05-2009, 05:55 PM
10 Mil a year,Its a fair deal.Now just hope he dosnt get in trouble or get hurt.

I Stole Home
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Like the pickup it would suck if he got hurt in the field because hje is such a good DH

I Stole Home
01-05-2009, 05:58 PM
He*

con_artist
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Pretty good deal as long as he can stay healthy

Yogi
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Good signing, I hope it turns out well.

KB24PG16
01-05-2009, 06:28 PM
good pickup by the cubs big bat if healthy

Seamhead
01-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Giving him 60% playing time out of 700 PA, which would be around 400 PA, he's a 1.8 WAR player, which is worthy of a 3/$22 deal (using -.5 win decline).

If he can get anywhere close to 550 PA, it's a good deal.

docphb13
01-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Cedeno, Pie, Hill and the two lower level Indians prospects for Peavy.

unwantedplayer
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
A little too much for a injury prone player but good signing.

soxnfins
01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Very predictable signing for about a month now.... Cubs I applaud you for this signing, just hopefully Mr. Board Game stays healthy for you guys. ;)

ruckus16969
01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
If the Cubs stay healthy they are going to be the team to beat. I hope they do well.. If they can work something out and grab Peavy they will have the best rotaion in the NL maybe Baseball and the Best lineup in the NL. I bet it will come down to the Cubs and the Phillies for the NL title

Maz60
01-05-2009, 07:02 PM
If he stays healthy? Given that he broke in in 2000 and has ONE season where he played 140 games, one other where he played 120 games, why would anyone imagine that this guy will stay healthy? And not to be cynical here, but especially with a 3 year deal in his pocket.

zachstrange
01-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Anyone remember Rondell White? That guy was supposed to be a difference maker in our OF and could never stay healthy. Let's hope we don't get another one of those guys.

prodigy
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
1. injury prone

2. A bad person.

Cubs can have him.

quade36
01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
I think they'd be better off with Derosa. He is cheaper and besides last year for Bradley, Derosa's numbers are equal. Plus he is a great clubhouse guy.

cHi8DaL5LA420
01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
good move by the cubs... i dont know about the 3 year deal though... but bradley is a hell of player... one of the best in the game

italianyankees
01-05-2009, 09:37 PM
If they upgrade Fukadomeshot with Abreu that would just be the ending to a good offseason for them.

doyerfan59
01-06-2009, 01:32 AM
If they upgrade Fukadomeshot with Abreu that would just be the ending to a good offseason for them.

yeah, personally Abreu might have been a better signing then Bradley IMO

yeah, Bradley is a MUCH better player but cmon.. he played 20 games in the OF..and he still couldnt stay healthy

now that he is going to play only in the OF, he will more then likely get Injured more often

Abreu might be bad defenisvely and old, but hed give them the left hander they needed and would drive in runs

All in all, Bradley is a good signing, alot of money but if Bradley plays 120 games , its worth it because in those 120 games he will be a difference maker

redwhitenblue
01-06-2009, 08:48 AM
1. injury prone

2. A bad person.

Cubs can have him.
Why's he a bad person?

His teammates, except Jeff Kent, love him.

redwhitenblue
01-06-2009, 08:49 AM
I think they'd be better off with Derosa. He is cheaper and besides last year for Bradley, Derosa's numbers are equal. Plus he is a great clubhouse guy.
Besides last year for Derosa, Bradley's still quite better. You forget so quickly that Derosa was about 50 points or more above a good year for him last year, probably unrepeatable.

To say Derosa's numbers are equal except for last year from Bradley is ridiculous.

phila_gorilla
01-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I think 125 games is a realistic minimal number of games to hope he plays in. If he stays healthy the Cubbies will be even more dangerous offensively.

Maz60
01-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I think 125 games is a realistic minimal number of games to hope he plays in. If he stays healthy the Cubbies will be even more dangerous offensively.

Why is 125 games realistic? Hes done it only twice since 2000.

prodigy
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Why's he a bad person?

His teammates, except Jeff Kent, love him.

OMG where do i start? ill only name a few.

1. with indians He tried to fight eric wedge.

2. with texas he tried to charge the press box to fight the play by play guy.

3. took swings at a fan.

4. got in like a 10min arguemnet with a fan.

5. None of his teammates in cleveland liked him. So add them to the list.

6. Seems like every week he is getting in some kind of trouble.

7. Does not fellow orders at all.

8. very very very injury prone.

These are just a few.

prodigy
01-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Why is 125 games realistic? Hes done it only twice since 2000.

only if the cubs use a DH. If he's playing the field every day look for around 95-110 games.

redwhitenblue
01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
OMG where do i start? ill only name a few.

1. with indians He tried to fight eric wedge.

2. with texas he tried to charge the press box to fight the play by play guy.

3. took swings at a fan.

4. got in like a 10min arguemnet with a fan.

5. None of his teammates in cleveland liked him. So add them to the list.

6. Seems like every week he is getting in some kind of trouble.

7. Does not fellow orders at all.

8. very very very injury prone.

These are just a few.
Play by play guy absolutely deserved it, go back and read what he was saying.

There are a dozen ML players who have had fights with their managers, having a fight does not make you a bad person.

Took swings at fans, were they at the games, I must've missed that or you're completely making it up.

Players get in verbal arguments with fans all the time, that's nothing new.

To say none of his teammates liked him doesn't work without a source, unfortunately you are not his teammates, all the reports by his former teammates all support him.

"Seems like every week he is getting in some sort of trouble" is not a valid argument, it's your incorrect opinion.

Same with does not follow (not fellow) orders, you have no clue, your opinion doesn't matter

And being injury prone does not make him a bad person

You were 0-all in that post. Nothing you said supports him being a "bad person"

Maz60
01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
OK, Ill bite; exactly what did the play by play guy say? :)

redwhitenblue
01-06-2009, 05:57 PM
OK, Ill bite; exactly what did the play by play guy say? :)
Here's your article. He never even fought him, he tried to go meet with him and the Rangers GM intervened.
http://cbs11tv.com/local/Milton.Bradley.Reaction.2.747006.html

Basically a five minute speech starting with praising Hamilton about "taking accountability for his actions" and then starting a rant about how Bradley hasn't done the same. Even though Lefebvre had never met Bradley, never been in the same room as Bradley in his life and apparently never done any research. Again, nothing ever happened, Bradley attempted to go talk to him after the game and was stopped by the GM. Lefebvre DID meet with Washington and GM Daniels later on to explain his comments. Both the GM and team made no disciplinary action.

Bradley's moody, no doubt, but he hasn't gotten physical. People misconstrue things, like when he "threw the bottle at the fan". That was when the fan threw the bottle at him and he threw in front of them at their feet.

Remember the umpire he was arguing with when hurt last year-'07 was found to be the instigator and suspended.

Maz60
01-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Here's your article. He never even fought him, he tried to go meet with him and the Rangers GM intervened.
http://cbs11tv.com/local/Milton.Bradley.Reaction.2.747006.html

Basically a five minute speech starting with praising Hamilton about "taking accountability for his actions" and then starting a rant about how Bradley hasn't done the same. Even though Lefebvre had never met Bradley, never been in the same room as Bradley in his life and apparently never done any research. Again, nothing ever happened, Bradley attempted to go talk to him after the game and was stopped by the GM. Lefebvre DID meet with Washington and GM Daniels later on to explain his comments. Both the GM and team made no disciplinary action.

Bradley's moody, no doubt, but he hasn't gotten physical. People misconstrue things, like when he "threw the bottle at the fan". That was when the fan threw the bottle at him and he threw in front of them at their feet.

Remember the umpire he was arguing with when hurt last year-'07 was found to be the instigator and suspended.

Interesting piece. Thanks.

Pierzynski4Prez
01-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Cedeno, Pie, Hill and the two lower level Indians prospects for Peavy.

In your guys wildest dreams. Pads aren't trading Peavy unless they get a major league ready pitcher plus a ton of prospects, good prospects. Nobody wants 2 pieces of trash in Pie and Hill, plus Cedeno and 2 low level guys for a Cy Young winner

redwhitenblue
01-06-2009, 06:36 PM
In your guys wildest dreams. Pads aren't trading Peavy unless they get a major league ready pitcher plus a ton of prospects, good prospects. Nobody wants 2 pieces of trash in Pie and Hill, plus Cedeno and 2 low level guys for a Cy Young winner
I agree, and disagree.

That package wouldn't get him, simply because it doesn't fit their needs. But the Pads aren't getting an ML ready pitcher and a ton of good prospects for a pitcher who controls his possible destinations and holding a good size contract that they need to move. Leverage sucks for them.

Maz60
01-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I agree, and disagree.

That package wouldn't get him, simply because it doesn't fit their needs. But the Pads aren't getting an ML ready pitcher and a ton of good prospects for a pitcher who controls his possible destinations and holding a good size contract that they need to move. Leverage sucks for them.

Do they even need to move him anymore? With Moorad in town Id assumed the fire sale was over.

Cubs Man 5
01-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Bradley is an MVP candidate when healthy, especially in our lineup. So excited :)

redwhitenblue
01-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Do they even need to move him anymore? With Moorad in town Id assumed the fire sale was over.
Moorad commented that his involvement with the Pads wouldn't effect any personnel decisions.

And if they were planning on selling and not having payroll issues, why sell of Greene?

Cubsjunkie
01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
only if the cubs use a DH. If he's playing the field every day look for around 95-110 games.

I hope you are just using very, very dry humor.

My friend and I have a wager with me saying he'll play 81 or less total games.

Maz60
01-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Moorad commented that his involvement with the Pads wouldn't effect any personnel decisions.

I have to say, I dont believe that for a minute. Its business protocol. Moorads not gonna sit around and let them dismantle a team hes agreed to buy, especially when it deals with his prime box office attraction.

redwhitenblue
01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
I have to say, I dont believe that for a minute. Its business protocol. Moorads not gonna sit around and let them dismantle a team hes agreed to buy, especially when it deals with his prime box office attraction.
CEO Sandy Alderson disagrees with you.

Maz60
01-07-2009, 06:13 PM
CEO Sandy Alderson disagrees with you.

Red, seriously, what would you expect him to say under the circumstances? :)

redwhitenblue
01-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Red, seriously, what would you expect him to say under the circumstances? :)
Under what circumstances?

It's not like the sale has been ongoing and they've hit snags and the potential owners are getting frustrated.

Maz60
01-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Hes his new boss. He wont openly contradict him, will he?

redwhitenblue
01-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Hes his new boss. He wont openly contradict him, will he?
Moorad is no one's boss right now, he hasn't bought jack **** yet.

Sport
01-07-2009, 07:50 PM

And if they were planning on selling and not having payroll issues, why sell of Greene?

Greene was ready to go. It was time for a change. I was a huge fan of Khalil when he first came up, and even bought his jersey. The guy had his struggles but i stillhave hope for him as a "solid" SS in St.Louis.

I dont think the Greene trade had anything to do with a fire sale.

Sport
01-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Im not a huge fan of this signing for the Cubs. Maybe it is just my bias against Bradley. Hopefully it works for them.

Maz60
01-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Moorad is no one's boss right now, he hasn't bought jack **** yet.

Right. And the fact that a deal has been agreed to in principle Im sure has had no influence whatsoever on Alderson's dealings with Moorad, perfectly happy to openly contradict someone who will probably be his new boss. :)

redwhitenblue
01-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Right. And the fact that a deal has been agreed to in principle Im sure has had no influence whatsoever on Alderson's dealings with Moorad, perfectly happy to openly contradict someone who will probably be his new boss. :)
Apparently you don't listen often, guys contradict their bosses all the time. Frankly, the owner's influence on the personnel decisions should be minimal.

Maz60
01-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Apparently you don't listen often, guys contradict their bosses all the time.

They do, huh? Maybe the dumb ones. Aldersdon strikes me as a bit more politic than that, someone who respects protocol and his organizational position.

redwhitenblue
01-07-2009, 08:44 PM
They do, huh? Maybe the dumb ones. Aldersdon strikes me as a bit more politic than that, someone who respects protocol and his organizational position.
What about him strikes you as being more political than some?

Maz60
01-07-2009, 08:55 PM
What about him strikes you as being more political than some?

Well, thats just my opinion, obviously, but Ive heard him speak, Ive read interviews, and baseball savvy aside he strikes me as a bright guy and ownership supportive.

redwhitenblue
01-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Well, thats just my opinion, obviously, but Ive heard him speak, Ive read interviews, and baseball savvy aside he strikes me as a bright guy and ownership supportive.
I hear "blah blah blah, I made it up"

Maz60
01-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I hear "blah blah blah, I made it up"

Fine by me :)