PDA

View Full Version : In the next couple years...

abourne13
01-05-2009, 10:51 AM
In 2-3 years, who do you think will still be on the Bruins and who do you think will be gone (for money reasons or trades).

With the emergence of our young stars, it has me thinking about the future and how difficult it will be to keep everyone.

mattybeingmatty
01-05-2009, 04:50 PM
good question. w/ kessel and krejci becoming rfa's, i am worried sick that some gm's will throw an ***-load of money their way and we won't be able to match, at least not for both. and we only have savard for another year.

The Intimidator
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
good question. w/ kessel and krejci becoming rfa's, i am worried sick that some gm's will throw an ***-load of money their way and we won't be able to match, at least not for both. and we only have savard for another year.

I wouldn't be too worried about that. Even though he hasn't shown it often, Jeremy Jacobs has the money to keep both those guys. I think that keeping Krejci would be more important than keeping Savard, however, because Krejci is turning into a young Savard, IMO, and we would be smart to keep guys like Kessel and Krejci instead of Savard, as much as I love the guy.

lanigan119
01-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Anyone else think that Bergeron will be gone sooner than later? I hate to say it, but the guy wasn't the same after that first injury and who knows how well he'll be after this one.

The Intimidator
01-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Anyone else think that Bergeron will be gone sooner than later? I hate to say it, but the guy wasn't the same after that first injury and who knows how well he'll be after this one.

I think it's much too early to give up on the guy, and we should give him more time to prove himself once he gets back. I think the front office agrees.

Frrrrank!!!
01-05-2009, 06:03 PM

The guy is only 23 I think, and has a lot of hockey left in him. Give it time and I could see him being himself again.

Shaiza
01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
As much as I hate admitting it, I think we do see Bergeron getting shopped around this offseason. We have a great load of centers waiting down there in Providence and trading Bergeron is something we CAN afford. Plus, it's not like we won't get anything back. It will also free up money for Kessel and Krejci, as we will need cap room to keep these guys, because idiot GMs like Lowe will offer a crap load of money for these players like someone mentioned already.

lanigan119
01-05-2009, 06:57 PM
As much as I hate admitting it, I think we do see Bergeron getting shopped around this offseason. We have a great load of centers waiting down there in Providence and trading Bergeron is something we CAN afford. Plus, it's not like we won't get anything back. It will also free up money for Kessel and Krejci, as we will need cap room to keep these guys, because idiot GMs like Lowe will offer a crap load of money for these players like someone mentioned already.

Yeah I think Berg is going to get the boot.

Frees up a lot of money. I do think Berg has a lot of talent but it might be lost. I hope he stays but won't be devastated if he's gone.

What is everyone's thoughts on the goalie situation?

captaintek33
01-05-2009, 10:09 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if BOTH of the goalies are gone after this season. I think the Bruins will make an offer to Thomas, but it will be for average money and short years, which will undoubtedly piss him off and get him looking elsewhere. this front office has never completely supported Thomas as 'their guy', and he knows it...

I don't see them breaking the bank for manny, either. It is entirely possible that Rask is our starter next yr, with a 'flavor of the month' type back-up (can you say Joey MacDonald or Alex Auld...?)

The Intimidator
01-05-2009, 10:48 PM
I will guarantee that at least one of the goalies will be gone, because you just can't waste a talent like Tuukka Rask by having him rot in Providence. Like Captain Tek said, though, it's possible that neither Thomas nor Fernandez are in Boston next year. Whether that means they acquire another young goalie to back up Rask or they pick up a veteran to do the job is still up in the air. What is sure is that Rask will be up here next season.

Frrrrank!!!
01-05-2009, 11:04 PM
:worthy:Rask

mattybeingmatty
01-06-2009, 12:38 AM
i could see thomas being resigned to a 3 year/9 mill contract. i don't think anyone is going to throw a lot of money at him, seeing as how much of a late bloomer he was. that would still save us money in the goalie department, and should still provide a pretty strong tandem, in him and rask. i would hope thomas would have some loyalty to the team that gave the 30 year rookie a chance to start. either way, i think a three year deal is fair and can't see him getting anything better elsewhere. if i am another team i'm concerned w/ his age and his "flash in the pan" potential.

and intimidator, i'm sure jacobs has plenty of money. that is not what concerns me. what concerns me is that one, or both of those players gets an offer for more than their value, a la dustin penner, and we're forced to make a real tough decision.

as for bergeron, i hate to say it, but moving him in the offseason might not be such a bad idea. i love the kid, but we have proven we can win w/out him, and that money could be crucial in locking up kessel and krejci. i wonder what kind of contract savard will be looking for? it would be nice to get him inked to an extension, if the price is right. if we could do that, than i would definitely be in favor of moving bergie.

regardless, chiarelli is going to have some tough decisions to make this offseason.

flyanhawayan
01-06-2009, 12:23 PM

Berg is a glass slipper with alot of talent hell find a decent home with the rangers or someone but hes just not physical enough. I feel like savard will stay hes the glue that is holding these young players together. If he leaves the team may fold.

abourne13
01-06-2009, 01:21 PM
As for the goalie situation, I think they'll keep one of the two. I hope it's Manny, but it's hard to turn your back on Thomas for all he's done for the Bruins. But a Fernandez/Rask combo would be nice next year. Plus I'm sure there will be GM's-a-plenty that will want to throw money at Thomas in the offseason, not so much for Fernandez.

I agree with Flyanhawayan where he says that Savard holds this team together. If there's no Savard then there's really no chemistry. Plus I think he's finally found a home in Boston after a career of trades.

Finally, I agree with Mattybeingmatty with Chiarelli having some tough TOUGH decisions this offseason. Especially if we win the cup :ohno:

lanigan119
01-06-2009, 03:15 PM
I hope Chiarelli does bring up Rask. He'll only have 1 year left on the contract he signed in 2007 (3 years).

Rask is 2nd in minutes in the AHL, tied for 2nd in Wins, tied for 2nd in Shutouts, 11th in SV% but only 0.012 points back, and 11th in GAA but only .47 points behind.

He'll def. be up and I think it will be with Thomas.

Frrrrank!!!
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
As for the goalie situation, I think they'll keep one of the two. I hope it's Manny, but it's hard to turn your back on Thomas for all he's done for the Bruins. But a Fernandez/Rask combo would be nice next year. Plus I'm sure there will be GM's-a-plenty that will want to throw money at Thomas in the offseason, not so much for Fernandez.

I agree with Flyanhawayan where he says that Savard holds this team together. If there's no Savard then there's really no chemistry. Plus I think he's finally found a home in Boston after a career of trades.

Finally, I agree with Mattybeingmatty with Chiarelli having some tough TOUGH decisions this offseason. Especially if we win the cup :ohno:

I hope Chiarelli has all the tough decisions in the world, if it means we win the Cup.:D

beantownboy
01-06-2009, 04:53 PM

Fernandez will get a bigger contract then Thomas. He's been a number one goalie for a long time now. I think we should try and move Bergeron's 4.75 million (for picks, prospects, 30 pack), sturms 4 million, dont resign manny's 4.5 million. That opens up 13+ million to sign krejci, kessel, and thomas (who will be cheaper then fernandez).

mattybeingmatty
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Fernandez will get a bigger contract then Thomas. He's been a number one goalie for a long time now. I think we should try and move Bergeron's 4.75 million (for picks, prospects, 30 pack), sturms 4 million, dont resign manny's 4.5 million. That opens up 13+ million to sign krejci, kessel, and thomas (who will be cheaper then fernandez).

other than moving sturm, i agree.