PDA

View Full Version : Honest question about the Celtics

superkegger
01-05-2009, 01:20 AM
So they had that pretty spectacular 19 game win streak, but since then, they've dropped 4 of 6. Granted all 4 losses were on the road, but none-the-less, dropping 4 out of 6 (especially two losses to the likes of New York and Golden State) is quite frankly, un-Celtic-like. Now I haven't seen any of their games since Christmas day, so I'm just wondering what's up with them? I'm not trying to bait or just trying to point out the fact they lost.

Going 2-4 in a 6 game stretch, is something that quite frankly hasn't happened to them in the regular season since acquiring KG and Ray Allen. And looking at the stats from the past 5 games, it doesn't really add up, of course that may be skewed by the Sacramento game, but yeah, I'm just wondering, what exactly led to this little rough patch?

Is the "emotional letdown" after the 19 game winstreak ended a part of it? I remember last year after Houston got off their 22 in a row, they struggled a bit after that going 3-5 in their next 8, though, part of that probably had to be that after their momentum was stopped, they didn't have Yao. The Celtics don't have an injury problem like that.

So if anyone who has seen the games has any kind of ideas, I'd like to hear it. Unless your explanation is bad officiating.

bostncelts34
01-05-2009, 01:23 AM
i honestly have no idea. Bench has played pretty good, powe had a good game tonight.

Really dont know. JUst turning the ball over alot and missing alot of easy shots. Also, nott getting key stops on D.

Iodine
01-05-2009, 01:26 AM
i beleive they will get back to winning but since their are no good Big men to sign i think they may make a small trade for a backup to KG(big baby cant play the four and Powe-r has been bawlz latly)

KG#1
01-05-2009, 01:27 AM
they couldnt hit a shot today and they look slower than usual
i hope they get on track soon

JordansBulls
01-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Last in the league in turnovers. Maybe they don't want all the pressure on themselves anymore because really they shouldn't have any pressure on them.

I saw the Knicks game and it has more to deal with that everyone gets up to play them. Just look at the Cavs and Lakers on the road as well. They were and have been losing to teams that they shouldn't and luckily in a few games pulled them out.

G-Funk
01-05-2009, 01:34 AM
I just think this happens after win streaks, they really take alot out of u mentally and after it's staps it's when it catches up to u.

still1ballin
01-05-2009, 01:36 AM
Every team goes through its slumps

Ragun
01-05-2009, 01:37 AM
HES A LAKER FAN! ATTACK HIM NOW CELTICS FANS!!!! HIYAHHHHHH!!!!

i seriously don't know. if i watched the games than i can tel l you.

superkegger
01-05-2009, 01:40 AM
Last in the league in turnovers. Maybe they don't want all the pressure on themselves anymore because really they shouldn't have any pressure on them.

I saw the Knicks game and it has more to deal with that everyone gets up to play them. Just look at the Cavs and Lakers on the road as well. They were and have been losing to teams that they shouldn't and luckily in a few games pulled them out.

I know sometimes the better teams pull it out when they probably shouldn't have won, but that's usually because, they are the better team. And like I said, in the past season and a half (or so) the Celtics havent' gone 2-4 in any stretch in the regular season, so they normally win those close ones and the rolls go there way. I guess I would just have a hard time believing a couple bad bounces is the only reason behind the rough patch.

gcoll
01-05-2009, 02:45 AM
market correction

D-Leethal
01-05-2009, 04:10 AM
i can only speak for the game tonight and turnovers killed them, didn't help that noone could hit a shot besides Pierce but he was on fire

op12
01-05-2009, 12:46 PM
the bench hurt them in the first couple losses and rondo has really slowed down. i think the big 3 look a little tired too. as worried as i am about starbury, maybe we could use him to give the big 3 and rondo more rest. if we have 2 or 3 scorers in there like steph, house, and allen/powe, maybe the starters wont have to play so many minutes.

Wilson
01-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Exactly. People are saying the Lakers are the best team in the league now. In a week or two the Lakers will have a little rough stretch, and people will crown the Cavs. Then they'll hit their rough patch and the Celtics will be the peoples champs again. Then it's the Lakers turn again...

The Celtics will find their groove again, they'll probably still be the #1 or #2 seed in the East in the play-offs.

Nighthawk
01-05-2009, 01:06 PM
were 29-6 oh my god lets panic....please...We lost some games...like teams do...we'll be fine

IndyRealist
01-05-2009, 01:40 PM
January and February are just the dog days of the NBA season. Nobody plays as hard right now as they do in November or May, and teams get psyched up to play the Celtics. I think it's just a timing thing, they'll kick it into gear in a couple of months.

Or they could be falling into the trap the Pistons fell into. "We're the best in the league, we can turn it on anytime we want to." Even I don't want to see that.

Nighthawk
01-05-2009, 01:41 PM
January and February are just the dog days of the NBA season. Nobody plays as hard right now as they do in November or May, and teams get psyched up to play the Celtics. I think it's just a timing thing, they'll kick it into gear in a couple of months.

Or they could be falling into the trap the Pistons fell into. "We're the best in the league, we can turn it on anytime we want to." Even I don't want to see that.

that isnt it....We need bench scoring. Marbury anyone???

da wood
01-05-2009, 02:11 PM
i think the teams that the celtics are playing aren't that scared of them anymore. these teams know that they lack size and are pounding thier ***.

tonyd3b54
01-05-2009, 02:30 PM
theyre not trying... theyre not playing any defense theyre not sharing the ball... theyre letting the other team dictate the flow of the game... theyre just not playing celtic basketball

Chronz
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Probably bad luck, but they seem to be struggling against high scoring teams, all of their losses have come to them.

superkegger
01-06-2009, 02:05 AM

were 29-6 oh my god lets panic....please...We lost some games...like teams do...we'll be fine

I understand losses just sometimes happen, and that teams go through slumps.

But like I pointed out, this is something that hasn't to this group of celtics yet. And when you lose 4 games (and thats double what you lost the previous like 28 games), usually there's more a reason than, "it happens sometimes"

JJ81
01-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I think it's because they're not scoring more points than their opposition.:confused:

Haha, seriously though, lack of depth?

Missing56&33
01-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Boston went on a great run but they have to be a little concerned with their recent loses. IMO i dont think they have what it take to repeat right now

Last year they had PJ and Posey both guys had a major impact on the teams success. They have done nothing to replace those guys and if they dont they jeopardize the Dynasty they're trying to create.

IMO they should try to acquire Marbury before the trade deadline....they would have to trade for him because walsh is not letting him walk to the Celts for nothing. They need another guard to help rondo, a good shooting streaky guard that can get to the basket and dish. Stephs your guy. PJ coming back wont have the same effect this year as he did last year but getting a banger would be beneficial...somebody like Reggie Evans or Haslem. Ainge needs to get to work

The current team can not repeat.... they better hope they dont see the Hawks:)

madiaz3
01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I think in the case of the Knicks win, they just employed new strategy and it worked.
First game, Rondo tears the Knicks apart.
Two days ago, the Knicks place a big man, Jared Jeffries (and later Al Harrington) on single converage on Rondo and Rondo gets shut down.

I haven't been watching their other losses besides the X-Mas day game but have other teams simply been employing alternate strategies?

Super.
01-06-2009, 04:25 PM
every team has its stuggles, get um out of the way now

superkegger
01-06-2009, 11:00 PM
And now they lose to the Bobcats? I know the bobcats played them hard last year, but still, something is amiss with Boston, and I just can't understand it.

ARMIN12NBA
01-06-2009, 11:13 PM
And now they lose to the Bobcats? I know the bobcats played them hard last year, but still, something is amiss with Boston, and I just can't understand it.

OVER-RATED! :p

chicagowhitesox
01-06-2009, 11:36 PM
ha they're just playing to their capabilities now. they just suck and were fluking the entire rest of the season.

lakers4sho
01-06-2009, 11:38 PM
time to trade for Roger Jr.

Frrrrank!!!
01-06-2009, 11:40 PM
ha they're just playing to their capabilities now. they just suck and were fluking the entire rest of the season.

:rolleyes:

DerekRE_3
01-07-2009, 12:24 AM
I think it's time for people to stop being surprised that the Celtics lost to the Bobcats, they are the better team. I mean...they went up against Gerald Wallace. Any team would lose when facing a monster like that.

Draco
01-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Quick look at the box scores for their recent losses suggests they're not getting much out of their bench. I don't keep an eye on the Celtics so I'm not sure if that's been the case even when they were having more success.

JordansBulls
01-07-2009, 12:31 AM

They lost to the Bobcats last year in Boston. Also the Bobcats had them beat a few times last year until they made terrible errors with like 10 seconds left.

superkegger
01-07-2009, 12:31 AM
I think it's time for people to stop being surprised that the Celtics lost to the Bobcats, they are the better team. I mean...they went up against Gerald Wallace. Any team would lose when facing a monster like that.

Except for those 22 times the bobcats did lose this year :D

But seriously, I know the bobcats played the Celtics tough last year, but it still doesn't add up.

How do you go 19-0 and then 2-5?

Lakers4ItAll
01-07-2009, 01:02 AM
I'm loving the Celtics losing :)

Nighthawk
01-07-2009, 01:05 AM

LOL..i Find it funny that were losing and now everyone thinks were not the best team....

ARMIN12NBA
01-07-2009, 01:10 AM
LOL..i Find it funny that were losing and now everyone thinks were not the best team....

You're not.

KB24PG16
01-07-2009, 01:12 AM

dont we all:clap:

Nighthawk
01-07-2009, 01:13 AM
you're not.

lol

JordansBulls
01-07-2009, 01:15 AM
Except for those 22 times the bobcats did lose this year :D

But seriously, I know the bobcats played the Celtics tough last year, but it still doesn't add up.

How do you go 19-0 and then 2-5?

Not sure, but they weren't supposed to be better this year either. Weren't they like 31-6 last year at this time?

cmstophe
01-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Quick look at the box scores for their recent losses suggests they're not getting much out of their bench. I don't keep an eye on the Celtics so I'm not sure if that's been the case even when they were having more success.

That is because their bench is pitiful.

ARMIN12NBA
01-07-2009, 01:28 AM
lol

:eyebrow:

superkegger
01-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Not sure, but they weren't supposed to be better this year either. Weren't they like 31-6 last year at this time?

People were signing a different tune not all that long ago...even you.

The record they have right now is 24-2 and last year I remember them being 29-3 at one point as well. They also seem to be lot hungrier now or just plain more confident, not sure which.

they are better rondo is developing more and more plus ray allen is finally comfortable and not hesistant about wen to shoot...

they are easily better. now they have team chemistry, a championship swaggar, and the big 3 are still playing at high levels. plus, the biggest part is their other players developed. not just their starters but bench too. so far this team is far and beyond last years team

they are so much better this year. Honestly, they havent played all that great yet for a full 48 minutes. many games they are losing or tied at half and really only play half the game. as u saw vs. NO, Utah, Atl.

if they pick up Motumbo to be a backup C, they will be so difficult to score on bc right now, Glen Davis is the weakness off the bench.

other reasons why they are better;
1. Ray Allen is back and has lift on his shot again.
2. Rondo is no longer a liability, but now he is an attacker
3. Perkins is improving and learing much more from KG
4. Tony Allen has provided key scoring off the bench

still they could be playing better than this.

They are better than last year. Even though they don't have Posey, Rondo has improved and is getting better by the game. Perk is better and improving. The big 3 have a championship swagger plus they have a year of playing with each other under their belt.

Yes they are better, but the good thing is that so are the Lakers!

BTownTeamsRKing
01-07-2009, 01:39 AM
^ i still believe in what i said.

they are just mentally and physically tired because every team plays their finals vs Boston. just look at every bench when they face Boston. they are up cheering like eddie house and sam cassel last june.

that said, they need a solid player off the bench. anyone.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-07-2009, 01:43 AM

you are correct good sir. our bench, how can i put it? SUCKS.

eddie is a SG not PG
TA dissapears
Scal defies awful
Powe is good, but not great
Davis is up and down.
O'Bryant should freaken play
Pruitt should freaken play
Cassel is one ugly cheerleader
JR Giddens and Bill Walker- BRING THEM UP FROM the D-League NOW!!!!

superkegger
01-07-2009, 01:45 AM
^ i still believe in what i said.

they are just mentally and physically tired because every team plays their finals vs Boston. just look at every bench when they face Boston. they are up cheering like eddie house and sam cassel last june.

that said, they need a solid player off the bench. anyone.

i'm not saying you're wrong about them, but the celtics from last year didn't ever even come close to dropping 5 out of 7.

corymayn
01-07-2009, 02:28 AM

no not panic but the celtics "were" 27-2 so it just seems like they got brought back to earth and resume their role as the 3rd best team behind LA and cleveland..........oh and i know all the celtics fans(you know the ones that just strated rooting for them last year) are gonna hate me but, rajon rondo is the most overrated point guard in the game...............his 9 turnovers tonight were a true testament to how good this guy is, if you can prove me wrong i'll listen, but i dont think anybody has had 9 turnovers in one game all year, have they? but im a man, ill admit that rondo has above average defense but he's too tiny for it to make a damn and on offense he aint ****, i could play for the celtics if all i had to do was pass the ball to 3 future hall of famers, id LOVE to see rondo play point for the thunder LMAO then we could all quit with this whole "rondo" is good idea

Lakersfan2483
01-07-2009, 02:41 AM
So they had that pretty spectacular 19 game win streak, but since then, they've dropped 4 of 6. Granted all 4 losses were on the road, but none-the-less, dropping 4 out of 6 (especially two losses to the likes of New York and Golden State) is quite frankly, un-Celtic-like. Now I haven't seen any of their games since Christmas day, so I'm just wondering what's up with them? I'm not trying to bait or just trying to point out the fact they lost.

Going 2-4 in a 6 game stretch, is something that quite frankly hasn't happened to them in the regular season since acquiring KG and Ray Allen. And looking at the stats from the past 5 games, it doesn't really add up, of course that may be skewed by the Sacramento game, but yeah, I'm just wondering, what exactly led to this little rough patch?

Is the "emotional letdown" after the 19 game winstreak ended a part of it? I remember last year after Houston got off their 22 in a row, they struggled a bit after that going 3-5 in their next 8, though, part of that probably had to be that after their momentum was stopped, they didn't have Yao. The Celtics don't have an injury problem like that.

So if anyone who has seen the games has any kind of ideas, I'd like to hear it. Unless your explanation is bad officiating.

There lack of depth is definitely a concern for them going into the playoffs, but they will be fine. They still have 3 great players and a championship team, it's a long 82 game season and sometimes you get into a slump.

codes238
01-07-2009, 02:44 AM
There lack of depth is definitely a concern for them going into the playoffs, but they will be fine. They still have 3 great players and a championship team, it's a long 82 game season and sometimes you get into a slump.

at the same time if they pick up marbury and joe smith as expected that lack of depth problem is gonna be solved real quick

JordansBulls
01-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Celtics lost again tonight against Houston.

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 11:17 PM
don't know what to say :shrug:

G-Funk
01-07-2009, 11:18 PM
^^^no way????????

JordansBulls
01-07-2009, 11:18 PM
don't know what to say :shrug:

Me neither. After setting the record at 27-2 they have gone 2-6. I didn't before the season expect them to be better than last year and now they are showing it. However, I did expect them to still be able to win it all.

It's good to see Cleveland as the #1 seed though. I don't think I have ever seen them #1 except in 1989 for awhile.

G-Funk
01-07-2009, 11:21 PM
They are defiantly not the best team right now that goes to either Lakers or Cavz

superkegger
01-07-2009, 11:26 PM
I don't get it. For a vaunted defense, how does Von Wafer, Von ****ing Wafer go 4-6 from 3? It wasn't even the turnovers. I just don't understand how such a good team hits a slide like this.

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 11:27 PM
Me neither. After setting the record at 27-2 they have gone 2-6. I didn't before the season expect them to be better than last year and now they are showing it. However, I did expect them to still be able to win it all.

It's good to see Cleveland as the #1 seed though. I don't think I have ever seen them #1 except in 1989 for awhile.

their bench problem is getting more serious as more teams uncover it. It wasn't noticeable before because they were winning.

goku
01-07-2009, 11:34 PM
I don't get it. For a vaunted defense, how does Von Wafer, Von ****ing Wafer go 4-6 from 3? It wasn't even the turnovers. I just don't understand how such a good team hits a slide like this.

von wafer is pretty good

BleedGreen
01-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I just think this happens after win streaks, they really take alot out of u mentally and after it's staps it's when it catches up to u.

I would say the exact same thing. Winning 19 in a row must take a lot out of you mentally and physically but, they're still the same team that won 19 straight. They need a little rest and they'll be fine.

superkegger
01-07-2009, 11:37 PM
von wafer is pretty good

He's a shooter. How do you let a shooter get off, especially when you're a defensive team.

goku
01-07-2009, 11:40 PM
He's a shooter. How do you let a shooter get off, especially when you're a defensive team.

he can slash to and dunk ....aaron brooks can breakdown almost any defense

da wood
01-07-2009, 11:42 PM
like i said the lakers exposed them for thier lack of size and now nobody is scared of them any more. like before they would win on most night just because the other teams were scared of them but i guess you can say like a bully once they get beat up they start getting punked all the time. the punked have arrived.

lakers4sho
01-07-2009, 11:45 PM
I think they have some internal problems that need to be settled. Just an opinion.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-08-2009, 12:16 AM
i'm not saying you're wrong about them, but the celtics from last year didn't ever even come close to dropping 5 out of 7.

there is something very wrong with them. they are way out of rhythim. and i mean they are playing slow, sloppy, and just not getting stops.

there is something that we can't see that is very wrong. i have no idea what it is.

one thing for sure, they need marbury fast. their great defense is just not there for some reason :confused::confused:

lakers4sho
01-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't think Marbury will be the lone answer to their defensive problems. The team itself has problems that they need to address during practice.