PDA

View Full Version : Gary Shefield Suxs

Rodney Stuckey
01-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Does Anyone else Hate seeing this guy waste at bats when we can put Thames at DH he is a home run Machine!!!!

mark1125
01-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Does Anyone else Hate seeing this guy waste at bats when we can put Thames at DH he is a home run Machine!!!!

Well.....yes. Unfortunately, unless we wise up and eat his contract and cut him, he will continue to get a majority of the DH at bats.

If by some miracle we find someone who would take him off our hands or we cut him, I would rather see Guillen moved to DH. I think he will be a disaster in LF. Thames is no gem out there, but at least he won't look lost. Besides, I give Guillen 2 months out there before he gets hurt.

In reality, I think Thames will be the odd man out until either Sheffield is cut or Guillen gets hurt.

Rodney Stuckey
01-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah you our so right I would love to see guillen used as DH. Although Marcus isn't the best defender out there he sure can hold his own. I just want to see him get a chance to get 500 AB and i think he could put up monster numbers. I just dont understand how he never gets his chance. His is so unselfish and a great teammate. Give Marcus his chance.

One Nut Kruk
01-05-2009, 01:58 AM
Let's not forget that Thames is also a K machine and we already have enough of those. And it would be nice to see what he could do over a season but don't you find it odd that he has never been given a chance, by us or anybody else for that matter. Every time he gets extended playing time, he falters a bit and that's probably why. Plus, he is a horrible defender in my opinion. Great guy, great teammate, but I like him coming off the bench and ready to play in case of injury.

VenezuelanMet
01-05-2009, 02:46 AM
Well.....yes. Unfortunately, unless we wise up and eat his contract and cut him, he will continue to get a majority of the DH at bats.

If by some miracle we find someone who would take him off our hands or we cut him, I would rather see Guillen moved to DH. I think he will be a disaster in LF. Thames is no gem out there, but at least he won't look lost. Besides, I give Guillen 2 months out there before he gets hurt.

In reality, I think Thames will be the odd man out until either Sheffield is cut or Guillen gets hurt.

Believe me, he will be a disaster if the Tigers do that travesty of converting him to LF, i saw him during his games in the winter league, and as you said he looked lost as hell, he was really awful it was an horrible thing to see. But more importantly he looked pissed as hell, really he doesn't want to play in there, sure he'll most likely improve a bit but i'm sure that if he plays a full season of LF he will be one of the worst in the league. I think DH is the best spot for him.

dddtfan
01-06-2009, 12:25 PM
My personal opinion is that I think Thames is somehow going to get traded for some kind of youth as Thames is expendable given our current roster construct. People will probably find Thames more appealing than Sheffield and his 1 year 14 Million dollar commitment. I'd be fine if after the '09 season both Thames and Sheffield were gone (the 18 Million-ish dollars saved between the 2 of them being gone will take care of most of the major pay-raises due to players going into the '10 season), Guillen became our DH and someone like Wilkin Ramirez or Caspar Wells were ready to step into LF for the '10 season.

I think Thames will get traded before the season starts.

Please understand, I am not the biggest Gary Sheffield fan in the world, but I do think he will have a good year this year. He plays best when he plays angry. People think he is washed up, he is playing for a chance to be a DH for another club next year, and he wants to prove everybody wrong about him being washed up. I'll place a small wager that Sheff will be the comeback player of the year, we'll let him walk via free agency, and fans will complain about letting talent leave the organization when all of this happens next winter.

theoldgoalie
01-07-2009, 06:52 PM
He doesn't suck! He's just getting old! The guy is going to surpass 500 HR's this year has nearly a career .300 avg. nearly a .400 oba. and over a 20 year career has walked more times than he has struck out! Give him some credit man. He doesn't suck! The dude played injured last year and gave it all he had all year!!!! I'm glad he got the surgery and I hope he is healed, because if he is, then Thames is going to be an after thought, especially if Guillen can stay healthy. I have been an advocate to trade Sheffield all off season, not because he sucks, but because if the Tigers are willing to eat part of his contract he could bring us something. Thames isn't going to bring us Jack squat unless we package him up! If Sheffield is healthy in 09' I wouldn't want anyone else playing DH for us! The man can flat out hit and has been doing it for 20 friggin' years! Most guys in the league don't come close to the numbers he has consistently put up! To me the 09 season depend on 3 things...A healthy Sheffield, a healthy Guillen and starting pitchers that can take us into the 7th friggin' inning!!!

stanpapi
01-08-2009, 01:54 AM
I wouldn't write Sheff off yet, but I wouldn't write him in, either. He has much to prove this year, but I don't know what to expect. Another slow start? I don't know. This Guillen thing, however, is the cause of the Cabrerra trade. If baseball was all about having enough people to play first, we'd win every game. You can't put Guillen in LF and Inge back at 3rd -- stop it, you can't.