PDA

View Full Version : What offensive Set does your team utilize and how effective is it?

JordansBulls
01-04-2009, 11:16 AM
What offensive Set does your team utilize and how effective is it?

lakers4sho
01-04-2009, 01:58 PM
There's a LOT of offensive sets in a coach's playbook in that's what you're talking about.

eg. Phil utilizes the Triangle Offense, but within that offense there's a lot of sets that can be used. But it all starts with the triangle formation.

What I like about the Lakers and the Triangle is that you can use other players as the post player, not just the center. The offense starts either with Bynum at the post, or Gasol at the post. Kobe a lot of times also posts up since he has one of the best post up game amongst people his size. Although since last season, PJ has been utilizing pick and roll a lot of times too when either Gasol or Bynum sets the screen for Kobe since they're both great finishers and you just can't leave Kobe by himself.

GregOden#1
01-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Pick and pop and iso.

Yep...we're hitting crazy jumpers and guarded 3 pointers while the other team gets easy fast break buckets. We only beat people because we're that much more talented than they are, not because we use any strategy.

Joshtd1
01-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Pick and roll is pretty much is our offensive set. If Duncan doesnt get the ball in the post, they will most likely run 3 or 4 pick and rolls before they get the play to happen.

lakers4sho
01-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Pick and pop and iso.

Yep...we're hitting crazy jumpers and guarded 3 pointers while the other team gets easy fast break buckets. We only beat people because we're that much more talented than they are, not because we use any strategy.

Why does LMA only shoot midrange J's off of a pick and pop? I would love to see him pound it down the post. And Rudy's been shooting a lot of threes. I think he needs to drive it to the hoop more. But most of the time when he gets the ball he passes it to some other guy. Is that really the play by McMillan or are those just their tendencies?

Iodine
01-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Because LMA wouldnt want to utterly rape the league with his mike james esque post game

Mane
01-04-2009, 02:58 PM
The Wizards run the "Caron Butler throws up a horrible shot" offense.

Its extremely ineffective.

_Sn1P3r_
01-04-2009, 03:00 PM
A lot of pick and pop, pick and roll situations.

Wilson
01-04-2009, 03:05 PM
There's a LOT of offensive sets in a coach's playbook in that's what you're talking about.

eg. Phil utilizes the Triangle Offense, but within that offense there's a lot of sets that can be used. But it all starts with the triangle formation.

What I like about the Lakers and the Triangle is that you can use other players as the post player, not just the center. The offense starts either with Bynum at the post, or Gasol at the post. Kobe a lot of times also posts up since he has one of the best post up game amongst people his size. Although since last season, PJ has been utilizing pick and roll a lot of times too when either Gasol or Bynum sets the screen for Kobe since they're both great finishers and you just can't leave Kobe by himself.

x2

The triangle's extremely effective with a guy like Derek Fisher in the backcourt, who can consistently hit the 3, and guys like Bynum and Pau in the middle. It helps when Vlad is on as well, he's very inconsistent though.

lakers4sho
01-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Because LMA wouldnt want to utterly rape the league with his mike james esque post game

LMA can't even do it. No one can except MJ.

lakers4sho
01-04-2009, 03:13 PM
x2

The triangle's extremely effective with a guy like Derek Fisher in the backcourt, who can consistently hit the 3, and guys like Bynum and Pau in the middle. It helps when Vlad is on as well, he's very inconsistent though.

Yes, that is why I was a little skeptical when Phil put in Luke in the starting lineup. He has been non existent from behind the arc, and I think it would be tough for Kobe and Co. to score later on during the season and the playoffs, when other teams start to clog up the lanes for Kobe and Pau to operate. Only Fisher and Sasha (and Kobe of course) from the Lakers shoot consistently from behind the arc, and Vlad doesn't even get regular minutes anymore.

Iodine
01-04-2009, 03:25 PM
LMA could be more dominant than a current day MJ if he tried

He could dunk while he was in the womb

jimbobjarree
01-04-2009, 03:28 PM
yeah but Mike James is a one in a lifetime player, its harsh to even compare anyone with his ability

njnets
01-04-2009, 03:38 PM
nets:

DDM (dribble drive motion from memphis university)

2 guards on top, 2 forwards in the corner, a big man on the weak side post. the 4 guys on the outside penetrate and kick. the weak side big man pops. i run the same offense in high school and it only works with people who can create (harris, carter). needs good guards. also, this offense wants layups or 3s. jump shots inside the arc are bad. 3 point shooters are needed to run it.

lakers4sho
01-04-2009, 03:45 PM
yeah but Mike James is a one in a lifetime player, its harsh to even compare anyone with his ability

exactly. the very best another player can be is to be a bootleg version of MJ.

GregOden#1
01-04-2009, 03:47 PM
The Mike James jokes got old a long time ago.