PDA

View Full Version : How good will OKC be....

SUNDUNDIDIT
01-03-2009, 02:23 AM
...If they got the number 1 pick or number 2 pick next year???

superkegger
01-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Add Blake Griffen to that team, woo. Add in the fact that in 2010 they will very likely be able to offer two max contracts if they want to.......They could turn things around pretty quickly.

SUNDUNDIDIT
01-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Add Blake Griffen to that team, woo. Add in the fact that in 2010 they will very likely be able to offer two max contracts if they want to.......They could turn things around pretty quickly.

I think Durant and Griffin would be somethin crazy....You pretty much summed it up....They would go from bein the worst team ever, to bein one of the best teams in the NBA. It's crazy if they get a number 1 or number 2.

Big Quett
01-03-2009, 02:33 AM
It's just not if they get the #1 pick. They have 2 first round picks. If they draft smarter than they did in Seattle they could be pretty good. I mean Durant was a no brainer.

BlondeBomber41
01-03-2009, 02:40 AM
They still need big men and defense. I mean they have some good big men, but nothing special. Chris Wilcox, Johan Petro, Nenad Krstic, Nick Collison..... meh.

Draco
01-03-2009, 02:48 AM
They'd still be among the lower teir teams in the league.

SUNDUNDIDIT
01-03-2009, 02:53 AM
They'd still be among the lower teir teams in the league.

I doubt it....If they was to draft someone like Blake Griffin, then I think Oklahomas future would look better then any other team in the NBA.....All they would need is the right CENTER and a decent enough PG to get the ball to Blake and Durant, and this team will be terrifyin......Durant was the rookie of the year last year, and they may have a chance to draft another college player who can play with as much if not more intensity.

Draco
01-03-2009, 03:01 AM
I doubt it....If they was to draft someone like Blake Griffin, then I think Oklahomas future would look better then any other team in the NBA.....All they would need is the right CENTER and a decent enough PG to get the ball to Blake and Durant, and this team will be terrifyin......Durant was the rookie of the year last year, and they may have a chance to draft another college player who can play with as much if not more intensity.

Most teams in the league are in the position of "All they would need is ____ and a decent enough ____, and this team will be terrifin" Center and PG are the two hardest positions to fill and then they still need a decent bench. Right now they're the worst team in the league. Assuming Griffin reaches his potential, the Thunder would probably be a below average team while Griffin and the rest of that young team figures out how to win games. Then it's up to management to surround them with other players that would give that team the talent they need to get to the next level. That's the same story that's being told around the NBA for most teams.

If the worst team in the league drafted 1 player they would "look better than any other team in the NBA"? Okie dokie.

Westbrook36
01-03-2009, 03:01 AM
I think that they could go Hasheem Thabeet, Defensive Beast.

Westbrook
?
Durant
Chris Wilcox
Thabeet

GSW fan
01-03-2009, 03:04 AM
they will be in playoff contension in 2010

ARMIN12NBA
01-03-2009, 03:04 AM
I think that they could go Hasheem Thabeet, Defensive Beast.

Westbrook
?
Durant
Chris Wilcox
Thabeet

Jeff Green.

superkegger
01-03-2009, 03:09 AM

They've got that PG, his name is Russel Westbrook.

For the 2010 free agency, here's what they look like as of right now:

Nick Collison 6,850,000
Kevin Durant 6,053,663 (TO)
Jeff Green 4,455,988 (TO)
Russell Westbrook 4,017,720 (TO)
D.J. White 1,108,680 (TO)
Kyle Weaver 935,484

Total Salaries:

Chris Wilcox and Desmond Mason are UFA’s after the 08-09 season.
Earl Watson will be a UFA after the 09-10 season.
Johan Petro is available for a contract extension after the 08-09 season.

In addition to their own first round picks in 09 and '10 the Thunder also have:

San Antonio's 09 first rounder,
Charlotte has OKC's 09 2nd rounder
OKC has New Jersey's 09 2nd rounder
OKC has Phoenix's 1st rounder in '10 draft

So really, I'm liking the way the future of OKC is looking, if they play their cards right, which I think Sam Presti will do, they've got a chance to be relevant here pretty quickly.

SUNDUNDIDIT
01-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Most teams in the league are in the position of "All they would need is ____ and a decent enough ____, and this team will be terrifin" Center and PG are the two hardest positions to fill and then they still need a decent bench. Right now they're the worst team in the league. Assuming Griffin reaches his potential, the Thunder would probably be a below average team while Griffin and the rest of that young team figures out how to win games. Then it's up to management to surround them with other players that would give that team the talent they need to get to the next level. That's the same story that's being told around the NBA for most teams.

If the worst team in the league drafted 1 player they would "look better than any other team in the NBA"? Okie dokie.

But most teams in the league wouldn't have 2 draft picks like OKC would have if they got Blake Griffin.....Durant was drafted 2nd overall last year, and lets say OKC gets #1 draft pick and drafts Blake this year, could you name a team who had those kind of high draft picks within a short timespan????? NO....Most teams wouldn't have those type of young players to build around....

And lemme be more specific, i'm talkin about the future of OKC, not what they will do next year.....I'm talkin about the future, meanin a couple of seasons down the line....It doesn't take rocket science to comprehend having a number 2 overall draft last year, and having a number 1 or number 2 overall draft pick next year, and imagining a deadly combination.

Westbrook36
01-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Jeff Green.

I forgot about him, I actually like Jeff Green

Westbrook
Jeff Green / Durant - Depends?
Durant / Jeff Green - Depends?
Chris Wilcox
Hasheem Thabeet

They need a True Center, Chris at PF isnt that bad, He can still put up around 6/8 at the least.

SUNDUNDIDIT
01-03-2009, 03:16 AM
Yeah, I didn't think about it...Westbrook is actually the guard for them....They really need a CENTER.

Draco
01-03-2009, 03:19 AM
But most teams in the league wouldn't have 2 draft picks like OKC would have if they got Blake Griffin.....Durant was drafted 2nd overall last year, and lets say OKC gets #1 draft pick and drafts Blake this year, could you name a team who had those kind of high draft picks within a short timespan????? NO....Most teams wouldn't have those type of young players to build around....

And lemme be more specific, i'm talkin about the future of OKC, not what they will do next year.....I'm talkin about the future, meanin a couple of seasons down the line....It doesn't take rocket science to comprehend having a number 2 overall draft last year, and having a number 1 or number 2 overall draft pick next year, and imagining a deadly combination.

I guess I'm not one to speculate more than a year into the future and conclude that the worst team in the NBA becomes the best. Just not my thing. Orlando was position of back to back first overall picks about 15 years ago and that story wasn't gaurenteed to have a happy ending.

As far as the point about having a couple of second rounders. Those are nice to have just like Powerball lotto tickets but I wouldn't hold my breath. The first rounders are nice if 2010 is a strong draft year and the player falls the Thunders way. If this, and if that.. and if this.. then tada, they're great! Ok...

superkegger
01-03-2009, 03:21 AM
If OKC has a chance at all to draft Griffin, they will, no doubt. He's from OKC, and plays at Oklahoma, couple that with his skill and potential, and its a no brainer.

thabeet is only up there so high because its a relatively weak draft class. They'd be better off taking someone to fill their sg spot and move durant to sf if they don't get the first pick. Someone like Harden, Derozan, or Buddinger.

SUNDUNDIDIT
01-03-2009, 03:28 AM
I guess I'm not one to speculate more than a year into the future and conclude that the worst team in the NBA becomes the best. Just not my thing. Orlando was position of back to back first overall picks about 15 years ago and that story wasn't gaurenteed to have a happy ending.

As far as the point about having a couple of second rounders. Those are nice to have just like Powerball lotto tickets but I wouldn't hold my breath. The first rounders are nice if 2010 is a strong draft year and the player falls the Thunders way. If this, and if that.. and if this.. then tada, they're great! Ok...

Then what are you doin in this thread, if you not one to speculate???? This thread poses a question for those who can imagine, and assume that everything falls into place....This isn't a WHAT IF thread, this is observin the POTENTIAL thread.....

And i'm not talkin about 15 years ago, i'm talkin about now....And I speculate that if OKC did draft Blake Griffin, then in a couple of years, they would challenge any team for conteder-ship....If JordanBulls can make a thread about what team will have the better future, then I can give OKC fans some hope of a optimistic outlook in the future aswell....Because they don't have nothin to look forward to right now.

Draco
01-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Then what are you doin in this thread, if you not one to speculate???? This thread poses a question for those who can imagine, and assume that everything falls into place....This isn't a WHAT IF thread, this is observin the POTENTIAL thread.....

I believe I wrote that I don't speculate more than a year into the future. And in this thread I haven't. I wrote that OKC would be a lower teir team.

And i'm not talkin about 15 years ago, i'm talkin about now....And I speculate that if OKC did draft Blake Griffin, then in a couple of years, they would challenge any team for conteder-ship....If JordanBulls can make a thread about what team will have the better future, then I can give OKC fans some hope of a optimistic outlook in the future aswell....Because they don't have nothin to look forward to right now.

You aren't talking about now and you aren't talking about next year.

I'm talkin about the future, meanin a couple of seasons down the line.... ^^ That's you.

I'm not trying to stop you from using your imagination. I'm pointing out that a lot of things have to fall in place for OCK to be the best team in the NBA. And that's an understatement.

SUNDUNDIDIT
01-03-2009, 03:46 AM
I believe I wrote that I don't speculate more than a year into the future. And in this thread I haven't. I wrote that OKC would be a lower teir team.

You aren't talking about now and you aren't talking about next year.

^^ That's you.

I'm not trying to stop you from using your imagination. I'm pointing out that a lot of things have to fall in place for OCK to be the best team in the NBA. And that's an understatement.

Regardless, if you think that OKC will be a lower tier team based on the example of the way they are this year or not, it's still speculatin without havin absolute knowledge of what the future holds....

And yeah I wasn't talkin about 15 years ago...I'm speakin of the now....This generation of basketball, not what someone may indicate from what they experienced 15 years ago...

And yeah, lots of things need to fall in place....And if someone can say Portland will be contendin for the championship, then I can say that Oklahoma will be somethin to watch out far....I might've went too far with the best talk, but they will be ONE OF the best, along with contention with Blazers in the future....That is, if everything falls in place with the right draft pick this year.

Ethix11
01-03-2009, 03:49 AM
I feel that the OKC Thunder will be in the league for good and it is great for basketball. Because they are relatively a new team in a new city, their fans have patience. Already they look pretty solid with Durant, Green, & Westbrook all lottery picks but just need a year or two to become all star caliber players. If they draft Blake Griffen and i hope they do, then they can move Green to the 3 and Durant to the 2 and can attract a great Center to come to their team along with another great player who could start in front of which ever starter is the weakest link in this already great team. Iv'e said it before somewhere, i think this team is the next San Antonio Spurs. They are a new brand with the potential to become a dynasty very soon and it would take a moron of a GM to screw this one up.

Draco
01-03-2009, 03:52 AM
If it doesn't work out the way fans envision, I'd hope they were smart enough to know that it wasn't necessarily the GM's fault. And didn't Durant say he felt more comfortable playing the 3?

superkegger
01-03-2009, 03:58 AM
If it doesn't work out the way fans envision, I'd hope they were smart enough to know that it wasn't necessarily the GM's fault. And didn't Durant say he felt more comfortable playing the 3?

I don't know, but it would make sense, since hes like 6'10". Pretty much wherever they end up in the draft this year though, it is almost guaranteed to be top 3, and they'll be able to draft someone who is uber talented as well as fits their needs.

Kyben36
01-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Doesnt matter. They will get Boozer. 100% guaranteed. They have some 20 Mil in cap room for next year. They dont need the top pick. They will be Great without it.

Sox Appeal
01-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Doesnt matter. They will get Boozer. 100% guaranteed. They have some 20 Mil in cap room for next year. They dont need the top pick. They will be Great without it.

I hope you know the Thunder aren't the only team with cap room. Why do you think the Pistons made the AI trade? It certainly wasn't for this season. AI has a 21M dollar expiring contract, add that with Rasheed's 15M, you're looking a team that will have some options in the off-season. And with the departure of Rasheed (assuming the Pistons let him expire) they would have a glaring need at PF. It seems to me like Boozer & the Pistons would be a perfect match.

Iodine
01-03-2009, 07:36 AM
I hope you know the Thunder aren't the only team with cap room. Why do you think the Pistons made the AI trade? It certainly wasn't for this season. AI has a 21M dollar expiring contract, add that with Rasheed's 15M, you're looking a team that will have some options in the off-season. And with the departure of Rasheed (assuming the Pistons let him expire) they would have a glaring need at PF. It seems to me like Boozer & the Pistons would be a perfect match.

Stucky, Rip, Spindle, Booz, and who gives a **** would dominant

Anyway OKC has potential up the *** if they land a good bigman

I <3 westbrook, KD has the talent to be a surrel scorer, they have good role playing bigmen to help if they get Blake, or DR or some one big

meiklwhite
01-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Durant was drafted 2nd overall last year, and lets say OKC gets #1 draft pick and drafts Blake this year, could you name a team who had those kind of high draft picks within a short timespan????? NO....

YES.

Portland in 2006:
#2: LaMarcus Aldridge
#6: Brandon Roy

Portland in 2007:
#1 Greg Oden

dirk206
01-03-2009, 08:11 AM
As far as the 09 draft goes, best option is:

1. Blake Griffin
2. Hasheem Thabeet
3. James Harden (have a whole at SG)

Plus with that 2nd 1st rounder they could pick up another talented player to fill the additional hole. Some guys I think that will be around in the late mid-to late 1st round are:

1. Tyreke Evans (SG)
2. Chase Budinger (SG)
3. Wayne Ellington (SG)
4. Patrick Mills (PG)
5. Darren Collison (PG)

I see us most likely going big 1st so SG would be the next hole to fill, Tyreke Evans i think would fit in with our nice young nucleus of players and the guy has great potential. Chase Budinger is another guy who could fill the the SG position nicely though I believe he will be gone by the time we draft with our 2nd 1st round pick. Wayne Ellington is also nice and if we decide to go PG, just in case they are not satisfied with Russell Westbrook at PG, Patrick Mills would be a nice pick. He's more of a scoring PG then a pass 1st but he'd be a nice pickup, though his height may give him some problems, though personally I don't think it will be a problem. Also I thought reuniting fellow UCLA backcourt mates Darren Collison with Russell Westbrook would be an interesting idea. As far as are the top 2nd round pick (or near the top), some guys who I thought would be nice are

1. Jeremy Pargo (Gonzaga bias but he's a good PG, can drive to the basket, if he could just zone in on that jumper he'd be money)
2. Jeff Pendergraph (PF)
3. Danny Green (SG)

As far as NBA free agency, I don't see them landing Boozer, they will give him one hell of a offer, but the players have to like the city as well and some bigger market teams can give him similar offers like Miami or Detroit. I see them going for a 2nd tier type big man like Brad Miller or Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

As for 2010 free agency I say go for Joe Johnson, Tyson Chandler and Chris Bosh. With Bosh and Chandler, you get the bigs this team has been dying for all the way back to the Sonics. As for Joe Johnson, you get the SG, the team needs.

blackjack_119
01-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Adding Blake Griffin alone will not turn OKC into a title contender in the immediate or distant future. They will need more. If OKC can keep the top two Oklahoma prospects in OKC (Blake Griffin '09 (the next Carlos Boozer); Xavier Henry '10 (the next Brandon Roy)) then I think they could be a very good team (though they still need a center.)

Russell Westbrook is an excellent defender and a great athlete. He is not a good shooter, ball-handler or distributor (granted he is only 20.) He needs a SG next to him who runs the offense (don't confuse this with "letting Kevin Durant be the sole offense.") Xavier Henry will be that kind of player.

At SF, they are set. Kevin Durant is a stud... he just needs a few years to get big enough to actually play the position... they can't hide him at SG forever.

Blake Griffin is a legit low post threat offensively which will open up the perimeter even more for Durant.

That being said, they still would lack a legit center and unless you are named Michael Jordan, you don't win without a dominant center.

I'm also not convinced that OKC could draw a big name FA, but others say the same thing about Portland and I blow them off, so it would be hypocritical to emphasize that point.

Draco
01-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Adding Blake Griffin alone will not turn OKC into a title contender in the immediate or distant future. They will need more. If OKC can keep the top two Oklahoma prospects in OKC (Blake Griffin '09 (the next Carlos Boozer); Xavier Henry '10 (the next Brandon Roy)) then I think they could be a very good team (though they still need a center.)

Russell Westbrook is an excellent defender and a great athlete. He is not a good shooter, ball-handler or distributor (granted he is only 20.) He needs a SG next to him who runs the offense (don't confuse this with "letting Kevin Durant be the sole offense.") Xavier Henry will be that kind of player.

At SF, they are set. Kevin Durant is a stud... he just needs a few years to get big enough to actually play the position... they can't hide him at SG forever.

Blake Griffin is a legit low post threat offensively which will open up the perimeter even more for Durant.

That being said, they still would lack a legit center and unless you are named Michael Jordan, you don't win without a dominant center.

I'm also not convinced that OKC could draw a big name FA, but others say the same thing about Portland and I blow them off, so it would be hypocritical to emphasize that point.

That's pretty much what I think.. and it's just common sense.

Faneik
01-03-2009, 10:55 AM
YES.

Portland in 2006:

Portland in 2007:
#1 Greg Oden

The Bulls had the 2006 #2 pick, not the Blazers. They selected Aldridge.

The Blazers had #4 and selected Thomas.

There was a trade Tyrus Thomas+Viktor Khryapa for Aldridge.

meiklwhite
01-03-2009, 11:22 AM
The Bulls had the 2006 #2 pick, not the Blazers. They selected Aldridge.

The Blazers had #4 and selected Thomas.

There was a trade Tyrus Thomas+Viktor Khryapa for Aldridge.

I know. But isn't this about the picks the team ultimately comes up with, not the ones that the originally got?

Faneik
01-03-2009, 11:31 AM
I know. But isn't this about the picks the team ultimately comes up with, not the ones that the originally got?

But in your last post you present the idea that the Blazers had the #2 pick, and that can lead to confusion...

jimbobjarree
01-03-2009, 12:19 PM
then they will become slightly better....derrr

Hawkeye15
01-03-2009, 12:45 PM
They have done a good job of getting contracts coming off the books, and stockpiling draft picks. Durant looks like he will be an offensive force, and Westbrook looks like he will be a good guard. If they add some interior offense, then shore up there defense, in a few years, they could be a pretty good team. I would like to see Durant in some close games that mean something, I think he could be great in those situations.

Big Quett
01-03-2009, 01:22 PM
could you name a team who had those kind of high draft picks within a short timespan????? NO....

YES.

Portland in 2006:

Portland in 2007:
#1 Greg Oden

Chicago Also. They have had high draft picks virtually every year since 98'

#1 Derrick Rose
#4 Tyrus Thomas
#3 Ben Gordon
#7 Luol Deng
#7 Kirk Hinrich

That is 5 five lottery picks in five years and where are they now? And i really could go on up to 99'. A middle of the road team at best. Lottery picks by themselves dont make you a great team.

And you could pretty much do the clippers like that also. They have been in the lottery virtually every year.

MiamiHeat
01-03-2009, 02:16 PM
they need a player with vet experience that's actually good

jgonboricua
01-03-2009, 02:44 PM
blake griffen would do wonders for them
but if they didnt get the #1 pick adding a james harden or hasheem thabeet would help fill those gaps at the 2 and 5 positions

Faneik
01-03-2009, 03:07 PM
Chicago Also. They have had high draft picks virtually every year since 98'

#1 Derrick Rose
#4 Tyrus Thomas
#3 Ben Gordon
#7 Luol Deng
#7 Kirk Hinrich

That is 5 five lottery picks in five years and where are they now? And i really could go on up to 99'. A middle of the road team at best. Lottery picks by themselves dont make you a great team.

And you could pretty much do the clippers like that also. They have been in the lottery virtually every year.

In 2006 they had #2 (Aldridge). Then a trade happened.

b_rad23
01-03-2009, 03:27 PM

You're forgetting Westbrook, who is already a pretty nice PG. My question is with Green, Durant and Griffin, who plays SG? Durant? The defense will never be great. I think if you add Thabeet and a nice shooter that's a nice team; defense excluded.

Edit: If none of them are the SG, then who is off the bench? Green? I'd trade him IMO. Get another 1st rounder.

MooseWithFleas
01-03-2009, 03:32 PM
The more important thing to follow is how bad they will be this year. They will go 8-74 and break the sixers all time worst record for a season

Baller1
01-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Too many of you seem to be forgetting how good Jeff Green is...

In his last 10 games he's averaging (about) 20 points, 7.5 boards, 2 assists, a steal, and a block a game while his shooting percentages are rising. He is a very, very talented all-around player. Add Griffin into the mix and you have an extremely talent filled starting roster. Yes, there would be a glaring need at C, but don't forget the large amount of cap space OKC will have after the 2010 season.

It's a stretch but...

2010 Starting Lineup
PG- Russel Westbrook
SG- Kevin Durant (I know he prefers SF, but I'm sure he would play SG for the sake of the team)
SF- Jeff Green
PF- Blake Griffin
C- Chris Bosh...? 1st round lottery...?

There's options on the board for them to choose from, and with a little luck, they could become instant contenders in a couple of years.

THE MTL
01-03-2009, 04:35 PM
People also forget that Oklahoma City is a pretty nice place to play. Those people love that team. They are freaking 11th in the league in ATTENDANCE and the team only won 4 games. Now that incredible!!!!

Also Durant is averaging also 25ppg this season. He is read to become a superstar. He'll be there next season. However his team needs to become better for Durant to get any kind of credit

MooseWithFleas
01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
That is impressive, you have to respect the OKC fanbase for supporting that team so heavily. Makes you wonder if they have a market for another pro sports team

meiklwhite
01-03-2009, 06:25 PM
But in your last post you present the idea that the Blazers had the #2 pick, and that can lead to confusion...

sorry for that.

but the point is:

having high draft picks in consecutive years does not necessarily mean that you will have a good team.

in portland's case I am pretty sure, that they will be successful for years to come. in chicago's case, not so much...

concerning okc: you absolutely cannot predict what a #1 pick could do for them. but nevertheless: with durant, green, westbrook and a possible #1 - I can imagine far worse situations...

IversonIsKrazy
01-03-2009, 06:58 PM
PG: Westbrook/Watson
SG: ?
SF: Durrant
PF: Griffin/Wilcox
C: ?

They would need another high draft pick the year after to get a good C. then sign artest.

PG: Westbrooke/Watson
SG: Artest
SF: Durrant
PF: Griffin/Wilcox
C: 2010 Pick

Then they would b playoff bound.

Morgan
01-03-2009, 07:18 PM

That wouldn't be that bad except a PG and a CENTER are the most important positions. You won't ever see a team win a championship without either a dominant big man or a dominant PG. All OKC will have is 3 very good wing players if they draft Blake Griifin. That's not enough to win a championship.

dirk206
01-03-2009, 11:32 PM
^How about the Celtics? Kevin Garnett is not a C, Kendrick Perkins was and Rajon Rondo is not a dominant PG in any sense of the word, they had 2 awesome wing players and a awesome PF.

JJ81
01-04-2009, 06:21 AM
They could be pretty good but it would take a few years

superkegger
01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
^How about the Celtics? Kevin Garnett is not a C, Kendrick Perkins was and Rajon Rondo is not a dominant PG in any sense of the word, they had 2 awesome wing players and a awesome PF.

a PF is still a big man.

dirk206
01-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah but he was referring to a PG or C.