PDA

View Full Version : Pats to Franchise Cassel?

avsman05
01-03-2009, 02:00 AM
NationalFootballPost.com writer Mike Lombardi, speaking on Inside the NFL, said the Patriots will place the franchise tag on Matt Cassel.

"The Patriots are way too smart, and Iíve talked to people in the organization," Lombardi said. The former Raiders GM worked under Bill Belichick in Cleveland. While this may just be informed speculation, it's the likely move. Cassel is a huge asset and the Patriots can either work out a short-term contract or trade him after using the tag. Jan. 2 - 11:09 am et

Rotoworld.com

Think that they will trade him this year if Brady is back or will they wait and see how well Brady does before giving him the boot?

bosox1899
01-03-2009, 03:16 AM
giving him the boot? I may have misconstrued what you were saying there but I doubt the Pats would just give him the boot after having him sign the franchise tag contract for about 12 million dollars..if you meant trade him then thats a very good possibility depending on Brady's condition obviously

Ewagner
01-03-2009, 09:32 AM
things are just shaping up to perfectly for the pats on this one. detroit is obviously drooling with the thought of getting cassel and they have to first round picks. i can see them trading the pick they got from dallas and some future picks. i want to be quoted on this one because this seems almost to logical. detroit keeps it's first overall, gets a franchise QB and probable a franchise OT or DE with there first pick. now here's praying James Laurinaitis falls

magichatnumber9
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
I think we should just sign him to a 4 year deal at 12million per.

Ewagner
01-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I think we should just sign him to a 4 year deal at 12million per.

why would he do that if he could make that in one?

futureheisman
01-03-2009, 01:06 PM
12 per for 4 years??? He could make more then 48 mill in one year??? I dont think so

Ewagner
01-03-2009, 01:13 PM
12 per for 4 years??? He could make more then 48 mill in one year??? I dont think so

sry read that completely wrong:D

The Intimidator
01-03-2009, 05:36 PM
What I expect the Patriots to do is place the franchise tag on Cassel, and then tell him to go out and find a deal somewhere. So, let's say he contacts the Lions and they want to sign him to a 6 year, 72 million dollar deal. The Pats will sign him to that deal and then trade him to the Lions, hopefully for the first round pick that they acquired from Dallas for Roy Williams, along with something else. I would be ecstatic if we were able to get a first and second rounder for Cassel, because that would give us five picks in the first two rounds, but I would settle for the #20 pick from the Cowboys.

MVPedroia
01-03-2009, 07:39 PM
What I expect the Patriots to do is place the franchise tag on Cassel, and then tell him to go out and find a deal somewhere. So, let's say he contacts the Lions and they want to sign him to a 6 year, 72 million dollar deal. The Pats will sign him to that deal and then trade him to the Lions, hopefully for the first round pick that they acquired from Dallas for Roy Williams, along with something else. I would be ecstatic if we were able to get a first and second rounder for Cassel, because that would give us five picks in the first two rounds, but I would settle for the #20 pick from the Cowboys.

agreed I really like O'Connell even if Brady isnt ready.

The Intimidator
01-03-2009, 08:10 PM
agreed I really like O'Connell even if Brady isnt ready.

Right, and I'm sure that the Patriots like him as well. If they could coach up Cassel and turn him into a QB that looked eerily like Tom Brady during the last 3 or 4 games of this season, I'm sure they feel they can coach up O'Connell to do the same. At the very least, he has the same body as Brady and Cassel. He's 6-5, 225.

Vthockeydad
01-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I like O'Connell too but Cassell had the benefit of working with Brady for 4 years and I am sure learned a lot from McDaniel and Belichick during that time. I know he Patriots think very highly of him but this is a big jump from San Diego State.
I trust Belichick will make the right decision !

Cronin
01-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Trade him to the Lions for the 1st overall pick :D

The Intimidator
01-04-2009, 12:13 AM

Haha that would be something, wouldn't it? I see a trade to the Lions as likely, but it would be for the 20th pick, the one they got from Dallas in the Roy Williams trade.

Ewagner
01-05-2009, 12:28 PM

even if the lions offerd it i don't believe the patriots would take it for various reasons. 1. there is no one there worth the pick, at least to the patriots. 2. way to much money to one player. i know it was meant as a joke.

mc6796
01-05-2009, 12:40 PM
The Lions for the 20th and a future seems to make sense but I think a big key is if Mcdaniels moves on. If he ends with a team that needs a QB I think you will see a push by that team to bring him. To many variables to consider at this point, but for what we know Detriot's #20 sounds good to me.