PDA

View Full Version : Pistons...Is the Motor Still Running in Motor City?

S-Dot
01-02-2009, 03:19 PM
They have not been to the NBA finals since 2005. They have not won the NBA Title since 2004. In 2006, Dwayne beat them by himself, and we all remember Game 5 against Lebron in 2007. 2008...Celtics in 6. It does not seem like the Iverson trade is getting them over the hump so what is next for them? Is it the Free Agency Market in 2010 or are they about to start rebuilding? They are not the same team anymore since Ben Wallace left. I do not see the power and respect they had after beating the Lakers 4-1 (or 5-0 if you ask me) in 2004? What are your thoughts? Do they still have "it"?

SteveNash
01-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Detroit needs to get rid of the cancer that is AI then decide what they have to do for free agency. They should probably let Rasheed go and tank next year get a high draft pick in 2010 and add a nice free agent.

Also, Shaq hurt Detroit in 06 more than Wade did.

superkegger
01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
The fact that a team has made the conference finals for 6 years in a row, tells you they're doing something right.

S-Dot
01-02-2009, 04:38 PM
The fact that a team has made the conference finals for 6 years in a row, tells you they're doing something right.

Exactly...do they have what it takes to get over that hump, and if not, what do they need to do to get there

S-Dot
01-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Detroit needs to get rid of the cancer that is AI then decide what they have to do for free agency. They should probably let Rasheed go and tank next year get a high draft pick in 2010 and add a nice free agent.

I think Dwayne Wade was the story of the 2006 series vs. the Pistons (it's just my opinion though)...but I'm interested in the fact that you think they should "tank" next year, of course that probably means a #6 rank in the East

COLH
01-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Ofcourse they still got what it takes. There's alot of games left to go and the past few games they showd that they are regaining their tough defense back. Look it's still January, I believe IMO that come playoff time they will click and makes noise in the playoffs.

SteveNash
01-02-2009, 07:17 PM
I think Dwayne Wade was the story of the 2006 series vs. the Pistons (it's just my opinion though)...but I'm interested in the fact that you think they should "tank" next year, of course that probably means a #6 rank in the East

Wade may have been the story, but that was partly because of what happened in the finals with Shaq sucking and Wade getting a bunch of foul calls. Both played alright, but Wade was terrible defensively, with Riley switching him from Rip to Tayshaun to Billups and getting burned by all of them while Shaq was able to completely shutdown the lane.

After the year ends they'll have AI, Rasheed, and McDyess ending. Amir/Maxiell at PF/C isn't going to get it done, so just give up on the season, don't make the playoffs and hope you luckout in the lottery.

Sox Appeal
01-02-2009, 07:22 PM

The whole reason the Pistons made the trade for 'the cancer that is AI' was so they could make a splash in Free Agency. He's a 21M expiring contract, add that with Rasheed's 15M that's coming off the books, (McDyess also expires this year, and Kwame does in 2010), and you would be looking at a team that will have around 40M dollars to spend in the next 2 off-seasons. Which means, we'll (potentially) be able to sign Carlos Boozer this off-season, and plenty of money available in the summer of '10.

superkegger
01-02-2009, 07:49 PM
6 conference finals, 2 NBA finals appearances 1 NBA finals win.

Winning in this league is hard to do. There isn't a ton of parity at the top.

Sometimes it just doesn't happen. They're probably not going to make in 7 conference finals in a row this year, but I think they're going to take a bit of a different approach and retool for 10-11 season.

Iodine
01-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Yes because unless your a downright ****** team you win the NBA finals every three and a half season on average

As keeger said they have dominated the east the last decade ill take that over most other teams over that time

superkegger
01-06-2009, 02:01 AM
The Pistons are now 10-3 when Antonio McDyess plays for Detroit, 10-9 when he doesn't.

They're back up to 21-11, only a half game behind Atlanta for the 4th spot in the East.

Maybe they're starting to figure it out after all? :shrug: