PDA

View Full Version : We Need Taylor Mays

elements1985
01-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Watching the Rose Bowl today, I couldn't help but think Taylor Mays could help give us the secondary help we need. He looks like a young Rodney Harrison. Please, package together the 1st and mid 2nd round pick to move up for this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augIi76eJ8w

The Intimidator
01-02-2009, 09:27 AM
He's a fantastic player without a doubt, but unless he somehow falls into the 20's, he probably doesn't end up here. The Patriots just aren't the kind of team that moves up in the draft to take someone, at least not under Belichick. If they did do it, I would be surprised.

futureheisman
01-02-2009, 12:16 PM
They have two second rounders to play with so maybe they can move up. Like we did for Chad Jackson a few years ago

MVPedroia
01-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Taylor Mays :drool:

BRADY4MVP
01-02-2009, 02:02 PM
They have two second rounders to play with so maybe they can move up. Like we did for Chad Jackson a few years ago

beacuse that worked out so well...... honestly, i would love to get him too, and maybe their 1st and a 2nd would put them in a position to move up that high......

the PATS do try and move up for some players, see D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Sean Taylor and Dwayne Robertson....

torrance
01-02-2009, 02:13 PM
He's a fantastic player without a doubt, but unless he somehow falls into the 20's, he probably doesn't end up here. The Patriots just aren't the kind of team that moves up in the draft to take someone, at least not under Belichick. If they did do it, I would be surprised.

I agree. Belichick is always talking about good value, and that's what you'll find with the second-rounders (which they can pay less). Personally, I'd rather see them have two picks in the 2nd round than package them for higher pick in the 1st.

Canada26
01-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Would love to see a secondary with him an Merriweather at the safety spots for the next 10 years or so. But isn't Mays a SS? Then we would need to conert Merriweather to FS, I dont know, but still I would like to see it.

griff141
01-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Mays will most likely go in the top 15 and unless we trade up, which is not likely, he won't fall to us. I'd love to have him but it doesn't seem possible.

MVPedroia
01-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Would love to see a secondary with him an Merriweather at the safety spots for the next 10 years or so. But isn't Mays a SS? Then we would need to conert Merriweather to FS, I dont know, but still I would like to see it.

SS isnt that different from FS thats not the problem.

2Kobe3peats
01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm from LA and a big USC fan, came into this board to talk about matt cassell vs brady...but in regards to Taylor Mays...HE's a beast !!!

6'3 235, he had a NFL body as a true freshman , runs a 4.2 40 fastest player on USC.

He's alot more athletic then Harrison has ever been.

He reminds me more of a hard hitting ronnie lott, with the coverage of a sean taylor.

WhiteWesWelker
01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
wait..the coverage skills of a sean taylor? i'm not sure we want those cover skills on the pats

KingJamsI
01-02-2009, 06:20 PM
The Patriots just aren't the kind of team that moves up in the draft to take someone, at least not under Belichick.

Dont get into thinking like that, any preconceptions about how the Patriots draft are basically wrong... Belichick's draft philosophy is based on one word. Value. Remember he was trying to trade up to pick 3 a few years ago for Sean Taylor, but diddn't have enough to offer.... If Bill thinks Mays is that kind of player, he will try to make that move, if not... he wont.

futureheisman
01-02-2009, 09:08 PM
would love to see it

elements1985
01-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Really though, you sign a FA corner (or trade for one) and draft him; then, suddenly, that secondary doesn't look so bad does it?

My point is that as much as the Patriots value lower round picks, their real playmakers on defense were all taken early-mid first round:

Seymour
Warren
Mayo

Mid-Later First
Wilfork
Meriweather

MVPedroia
01-02-2009, 09:39 PM
we could have 13 picks in this draft because of a bunch of players who left us. Seems like we would use some of those to trade up since not that many rookies would make the team.

The Intimidator
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
we could have 13 picks in this draft because of a bunch of players who left us. Seems like we would use some of those to trade up since not that many rookies would make the team.

Either that or you could trade them for higher picks in next year's draft, like we did with San Fran in 2007. That's how we got Mayo.

MVPedroia
01-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Either that or you could trade them for higher picks in next year's draft, like we did with San Fran in 2007. That's how we got Mayo.

very true, they should do that with at least one pick in case we don't have many picks in the 2010 draft.

ERLynx
01-03-2009, 11:53 AM
as much as i like mays, i trust BB. he knows what he is doing in the draft. its not like we are detroit lions fans. i would love to see Mays like the rest of you. but if we get someone else, i wouldnt be upset in the least. (See Mayo vs. Gholston)

magichatnumber9
01-03-2009, 12:11 PM
He's a fantastic player without a doubt, but unless he somehow falls into the 20's, he probably doesn't end up here. The Patriots just aren't the kind of team that moves up in the draft to take someone, at least not under Belichick. If they did do it, I would be surprised. Chad Jackson is one of the main reasons for that.

magichatnumber9
01-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I think this will be the biggest Draft for the New England Patriots. They now have time to really evaluate this draft class and find some winners. I am psyched.

NYMETS6986
01-03-2009, 12:44 PM
ya that hit mays put on the wr on penn st that also took his own teammate to the ground was mighty impressive, too bad it was a personal foul.... as soon as i saw this kid play i thought the same thing about getting him on the pats, this dude is a monster!

futureheisman
01-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Mays could also be a guy who you could blitz off the edge.

The Intimidator
01-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Chad Jackson is one of the main reasons for that.

Well, I'm not sure that's the reason. I feel that the reason why the Patriots don't often try to move up is because they aren't crazy about throwing boatloads of money to promising but unproven prospects. You really can't blame them for that either, because for every Peyton Manning, there's a Ryan Leaf. Teams that move up can end up getting screwed just as easily as they can be rewarded.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
as much as i would love to have SS like Mays, i dont see us drafting him and personally im not too high on his pro potential, but i have barely watched him so i could be wrong.

we need another young ILB and then sign a good to great CB and we are set.

i was not a big fan of James Sanders, but now i changed my mind on him. He is good at stopping the run, not so great in coverage, but lets remember that we can't have all top notch players and keep them. i like having sanders bc he is good and wont cost much to keep long term. yes, im saying we need to purposely keep a lesser player bc he will help us get other help and he isnt bad.

i would rather see BB draft either Rey M. from USC or James L. from Ohio State.
we have enough young corners on the team, and wilhite looks good so far.

MVPedroia
01-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I would like us to draft a RB later in the draft. If only to give Maroney a kick in the *** to have a break out year.

The Intimidator
01-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I would like us to draft a RB later in the draft. If only to give Maroney a kick in the *** to have a break out year.

If we draft another RB, it would probably be to split carries with Maroney, like I was saying in the NFL forum. That can only increase his effectiveness, and hopefully bring back the Minnesota Golden Gophers version of Laurence Maroney.

futureheisman
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
maybe a Sean Green type

MVPedroia
01-03-2009, 08:54 PM
If we draft another RB, it would probably be to split carries with Maroney, like I was saying in the NFL forum. That can only increase his effectiveness, and hopefully bring back the Minnesota Golden Gophers version of Laurence Maroney.

Shawn Greene :drool:

Morgan
01-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Not really because Merriweather is more of a FS than a SS to begin with. When Harrison went down they moved Sanders to the SS and Merriweather played FS the rest of the season. The SS is a bigger stronger safety that blitzes and plays a little linebacker and a FS is more like a zone coverage corner. Merriweather plays more like a corner than a linebacker so, I would say FS is his natural position.

The Intimidator
01-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Shawn Greene :drool:

If you're referring to the guy from Iowa, which I assume you are, it's actually spelled Shonn Greene.