PDA

View Full Version : Broncos seek permission to speak to McDaniels

Mile High Champ
01-02-2009, 01:16 AM
After severing their relationship with head coach Mike Shanahan that spanned more than two decades, the Denver Broncos are moving quickly to find his replacement.

Two league sources said the Broncos have asked for permission to speak with New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Permission has not yet been granted, but Denver is expected to get the go-ahead to discuss the job with Bill Belichick's young offensive coach.

Source ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3804434

Looks like Mr. McDaniels may have a new home very soon...

elements1985
01-02-2009, 02:25 AM
This guy is completely overrated. Everyone wants to pick from the Patriots' tree, but teams need to realize that it's Belichick. He makes the Patriots, including coaches, who they are.

What has this guy done besides utilize the outstanding personnel we've got. Heck, he helped turn the '07-'08 offense completely one-dimensional, thus causing us to lose the Super Bowl (can't overlook the Morris injury, however).

Maybe in time McDaniels will be ready to be a head coach, but now is not the time.

JerseyBrave
01-02-2009, 03:34 AM
This guy is completely overrated. Everyone wants to pick from the Patriots' tree, but teams need to realize that it's Belichick. He makes the Patriots, including coaches, who they are.

What has this guy done besides utilize the outstanding personnel we've got. Heck, he helped turn the '07-'08 offense completely one-dimensional, thus causing us to lose the Super Bowl (can't overlook the Morris injury, however).

Maybe in time McDaniels will be ready to be a head coach, but now is not the time.

Couldn't agree with you more! We lost the superbowl b/c he didnt change the gameplan at half, he just kept trying to fire it down the field against the best pass rush I have ever seen. Horrible offensive gameplan cost us the superbowl

The Intimidator
01-02-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't see McDaniels leaving, because he has said on many occasions that he doesn't know if he's ready to become a head coach yet. We'll have to see, but my gut tells me that he stays here.

Mile High Champ
01-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I don't see McDaniels leaving, because he has said on many occasions that he doesn't know if he's ready to become a head coach yet. We'll have to see, but my gut tells me that he stays here.

I dont know about that.. If a team offers to 3x or even 4x your current salary its hard to turn that down. Plus you come to your own team where you get to call the shots and prove to yourself and the league what you truly can do. If McDaniels gets a strong offer from a decent team, he bolts, its a gurantee in my mind..

futureheisman
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
look hoe the coaches have done wonce they left the pats. Crennel-Fired Mangini-Fired
Weis-Struggling at Notre Dame. No coach has done well since he left here.

griff141
01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
The only coach we need is Belichick, he's the mastermind. Every other coach that has left us in the past has done nothing.

Ewagner
01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
i agree with everything everyone has said. i do believe mcdaniels knows it to. i'm more curious to know what will happen to mangini. he was supposed to be the next BB. do you think he will ever come back to NE to take over BB once he leaves or do you think mcdaniel is the eventual coach in waiting?

bosox1899
01-02-2009, 07:26 PM
theres no way Mangini comes back to NE, the guy snitched on us and you want him to be our HC? As for McDaniels, I'm not a big fan of his to be honest with you, I've seen too many questionable play calling from him to realize hes not ready to be a head coach

futureheisman
01-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I would hate it if he did come back

magichatnumber9
01-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Broncos will suck for awhile.

The Intimidator
01-03-2009, 05:49 PM
The reason why I don't see McDaniels ending up in Denver is because their downfall was their defense. They have a Pro Bowl QB and talented receivers, and can score a lot of points. Their problem is that they were 30th in the NFL in points allowed, 29th in yards allowed, 26th in pass defense, and 27th in run defense. So, why exactly would they bring in an offensive guru to be their new head coach? It just doesn't add up. They need new defensive personnel, and a defensive oriented coach.

Wake's Fastball
01-04-2009, 01:33 PM
The reason why I don't see McDaniels ending up in Denver is because their downfall was their defense. They have a Pro Bowl QB and talented receivers, and can score a lot of points. Their problem is that they were 30th in the NFL in points allowed, 29th in yards allowed, 26th in pass defense, and 27th in run defense. So, why exactly would they bring in an offensive guru to be their new head coach? It just doesn't add up. They need new defensive personnel, and a defensive oriented coach.

My thoughts exactly. McDaniels' forte is in the passing game, and that's not really something they need addressed at the moment.

The Intimidator
01-05-2009, 09:46 PM
My thoughts exactly. McDaniels' forte is in the passing game, and that's not really something they need addressed at the moment.

Yup, but for some reason the NFL Network is still reporting that he's the favorite to land the job. It's confusing, to say the least.

dbroncos78087
01-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Please tell them no, i dont want him, nothing against him but i want a defensive guy.

The Intimidator
01-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Please tell them no, i dont want him, nothing against him but i want a defensive guy.

I don't blame you, offense isn't your problem whatsoever. The guy in your avatar would be a fantastic solution.

dbroncos78087
01-05-2009, 11:19 PM
I don't blame you, offense isn't your problem whatsoever. The guy in your avatar would be a fantastic solution.

Yea i feel confident in the guy we have (Rick Dennison) to preserve what Mike has built. Also he has the Cutler VOC (Vote of Confidence) and Jay has stated he wants Dennison to stay and i think your guy would want his own crew.

The Intimidator
01-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Yea i feel confident in the guy we have (Rick Dennison) to preserve what Mike has built. Also he has the Cutler VOC (Vote of Confidence) and Jay has stated he wants Dennison to stay and i think your guy would want his own crew.

I'm not sure if McDaniels really has his own crew yet, but yeah I get what you mean.

pierce34celtic
01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen just reported that the Broncos hired McDaniels as their head coach.

MVPedroia
01-11-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure if McDaniels really has his own crew yet, but yeah I get what you mean.

don't follow your gut

kazzy4080
01-11-2009, 11:08 PM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen just reported that the Broncos hired McDaniels as their head coach.

sucks, i wish him luck hopefully he doesnt take any friends with him

hatch81
01-11-2009, 11:16 PM
Just heard on espn that Mcdaniels accepted the broncos job.

thebusnotjerome
01-11-2009, 11:23 PM
mixed reactions on this one. I'm upset that he accepted the job, I will wish him luck for the next chapter in his NFL career and hope he does a better job than Man"Genius". However, I would have thought the the Broncos would have gone after a Defensive type coach like a Rex Ryan or a Eric Mangini or a Bill Romaniski

The Intimidator
01-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Well I wish McDaniels luck, but I have to question Denver's logic here. Like I said before, they need help defensively. I don't see how hiring an offensive coordinator helps improve their defense.

KmB728
01-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Best of luck to McDaniels and his family in Denver

Crickr
01-13-2009, 09:42 AM
I want to wish Josh luck in his new position as HC . Now I see the Pats just keep filling the holes with other assistants the same way they filled holes with the players. The Pats have a great system that just keeps producing players and coaches.