PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Baseball Player Personality?

Adalbjorg
01-01-2009, 07:46 PM
This player doesn't have to be any good, they don't even have to play for a team you like. But based strictly on the personalities of players, who is your favorite?

I think I'd have to say Papelbon. He's absolutely hilarious and you can just tell that he enjoys living life.

sacgiants1213
01-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Sean Casey... nicest guy in the game and you can tell he definitely enjoys playing. Kevin Millar is pretty cool as well.

Adalbjorg
01-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Sean Casey... nicest guy in the game and you can tell he definitely enjoys playing. Kevin Millar is pretty cool as well.

Good call, he's a stand up guy as well.

LivingThroughMe
01-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Ted Lilly :laugh:

Seriously though,

Probably Ryan Dempster. I love his Harry Caray impression.

beast montero
01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Jeter, he's a great role model but also likes to party, and don't forget his smokin' hot girl friends.

Bosh=nextKG
01-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Big Papi, he's always having a good time.

Driven
01-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Kevin Millar

cuttygiantsfan
01-01-2009, 09:38 PM
when i was batboy it was probably pablo sandoval because he was called up the day before and i was probably the only one who talked to him, being the rook

also alex hinshaw, steve kline

tim lincecum and matt cain are the funniest pair of young guys in the league hands down

Flamarlins21
01-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Ted Lilly :laugh:

Seriously though,

Probably Ryan Dempster. I love his Harry Caray impression.

Cool guy. Met him, he's nice. I remember when I met him in spring training in 06 the next day was an off-day, he was flying some of the guys from the team to Vegas for the day...that's pretty pimp.

cHi8DaL5LA420
01-01-2009, 09:44 PM
im gonna say josh hamilton... that man was addicted to drugs and lost everything... now the guy is back full force and doing great.. he is a stand up good christian man... he really is a respectable man you have to respect where he has been and where he has come as a person... its really an amazing story im really happy for him... he is a great guy

CHRISDODGERS
01-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Sean Casey, Kevin Millar, Matt Kemp (homer pick), Dempster, Papi, Pedroia...

xander
01-01-2009, 10:01 PM
There's alot.

In terms of funny players I would say Tim Lincecum, Nick Swisher, Big Papi, J-Roll, Dempster, Millar

In terms of flat out nice guys I'd say Dave Roberts, Sean Casey, Roy Halladay, there are too many to name.

I almost forgot about Jeff Kent and Barry Bonds :rolleyes:

weebs
01-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Papelbon is one of the biggest douches in the league. I cannot stand that guy. What he said about the Rays and "it not being over" earlier this year, as well as his actions on the field...I would love to punch that dude in the face. I can understand how a Sox fan would like him I guess, but some of the things he does are indefensible. He's an idiot.

northsider
01-01-2009, 10:12 PM
dempster

Adalbjorg
01-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Jeter, he's a great role model but also likes to party, and don't forget his smokin' hot girl friends.

Eh, I like my role models herpes free lol

Zmaster52
01-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Pujols or Delgado you gotta say they look like they have fun in the game and Delgado respects his own customs which i really respect
P.S. I met brandon Inge not the nicest guy 0_o he wuz kinda jerky

Adalbjorg
01-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Papelbon is one of the biggest douches in the league. I cannot stand that guy. What he said about the Rays and "it not being over" earlier this year, as well as his actions on the field...I would love to punch that dude in the face. I can understand how a Sox fan would like him I guess, but some of the things he does are indefensible. He's an idiot.

What does he do that's indefensible?

Adalbjorg
01-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Sean Casey, Kevin Millar, Matt Kemp (homer pick), Dempster, Papi, Pedroia...

Pedroia's a funny guy as well but I could definitely see why people would think he's an ******* if they don't get his sense of humor.

weebs
01-01-2009, 10:22 PM
What does he do that's indefensible?

after the brawl was totally over, to the dismay of his teammates, he said "it ain't over, payback's a *****."

Adalbjorg
01-01-2009, 10:26 PM
after the brawl was totally over, to the dismay of his teammates, he said "it ain't over, payback's a *****."

Everyone says something they later regret. If he made a habit of it, you could call him an *******, but one slip up making him an indefensible ******* is a stretch.

ritz
01-01-2009, 10:30 PM
David Wright

weebs
01-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Everyone says something they later regret. If he made a habit of it, you could call him an *******, but one slip up making him an indefensible ******* is a stretch.
he has a whole history of stuff like that. his comments about bartlett "not knowing to think" immediately after the first incident, he's got a whole history of arrogance and ignorance, combined with his offfield and onfield antics I really don't care for the guy.

Gigantes4Life
01-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Kenny Rogers, Barry Bonds, Jeff Kent, etc. Fun guys.

infernoscurse
01-01-2009, 10:35 PM
David Boomer Wells \m/ :D \m/

goldglove212
01-01-2009, 10:40 PM
reyes
guy always looks like hes out there making the most of it and having fun hes got an electric personality

except for when he throws his glove down and stuff

SFloridaSports
01-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Hanley ramirez looks like a fun guy to be around but he is second to Manny. The guy just looks like he is having so much fun and he looks like a cool guy to be around

Ph1lly Diehard
01-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Chase Utley

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVIJVMZZMiQ

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWNIbgICA4

He says it how it is.

Adalbjorg
01-01-2009, 10:58 PM
he has a whole history of stuff like that. his comments about bartlett "not knowing to think" immediately after the first incident, he's got a whole history of arrogance and ignorance, combined with his offfield and onfield antics I really don't care for the guy.

What offield, onfield antics?

And what history? He said a couple things about the Rays when the teams got in a brawl. That's hardly a history.

Zaunnie
01-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Kyle Farnsworth. I'm sure Jeremy Affeldt and Paul Wilson agree

Red_Sox_89
01-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Eh, I like my role models herpes free lol

:clap:

roju23
01-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Kenny Rogers, Barry Bonds, Jeff Kent, etc. Fun guys.

Kenny "I'm Great Everywhere Except NY" Rogers....he's a wuss.

a_roid_3333
01-02-2009, 12:05 AM
manny ramirez

weebs
01-02-2009, 12:08 AM
What offield, onfield antics?

And what history? He said a couple things about the Rays when the teams got in a brawl. That's hardly a history.

do we REALLY have to do this? i know you're biased, but come on.

the riverdance crap
the musical from him in high school
his old teammates telling stories about how he'd jerk off in gatorade bottles in the back of the bus
him saying he wants to invest in a new myspace, and become a "ca-drillionaire"
him saying he "couldn't remember" what happened to the 07 WS ball and then later saying his "dog ate it"

He's obnoxious, and dumb.

just a whole bunch of that stuff. and the thing about the Rays was the worst because he said "it's not over" to insinuate there would be more physical retaliation after the fight/conflict was clearly in the past.

B-Balz
01-02-2009, 12:31 AM
I agree Paplebon is a tool bag who seems that he goes out of his way to make himself a spectacle.

On the other hand I'd love to chill with Papi or Jose Reyes for a day.

EVIL EMPIRE
01-02-2009, 10:43 AM

the riverdance crap
his old teammates telling stories about how he'd jerk off in gatorade bottles in the back of the bus
him saying he "couldn't remember" what happened to the 07 WS ball and then later saying his "dog ate it"

just a whole bunch of that stuff. and the thing about the Rays was the worst because he said "it's not over" to insinuate there would be more physical retaliation after the fight/conflict was clearly in the past.

I really could care less about all the other stuff. But didn't he compare himself to Mo Rivera or something? Didn't he insinuate that he was better than Mo? Or am I thinking of someone else?...If so that's pretty laughable, and I'd hang out with Paps just so I can get a really good laugh every now and then. Besides that, yeah, he seems like a little biaaaatch!

infernoscurse
01-02-2009, 10:54 AM
I really could care less about all the other stuff. But didn't he compare himself to Mo Rivera or something? Didn't he insinuate that he was better than Mo? Or am I thinking of someone else?...If so that's pretty laughable, and I'd hang out with Paps just so I can get a really good laugh every now and then. Besides that, yeah, he seems like a little biaaaatch!

i dont like papelbum but i dislike points like yours that just spread bad rumors, someones going to read your comment and tell someone else , hey Paps said hes better than MO, and that other person will tel somoene else hey Paps said hes better than MO and he would beat his *** any day, and so on

He did not say hes better than MO, thats what the media tried to make his comments look like to add controversy, all he said that as a closer obviously he would like to close the allstar game, like any other closer would like to

StryderSox
01-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Okay so he said something in the heat of the moment of one of his teammates being thrown at. Did he come out against the Rays and throw at someones head?

Maybe you should stop being a douche and understand that real athletes sometimes get caught up in the emotion of what happens on the field

StryderSox
01-02-2009, 11:36 AM

the riverdance crap

SO I guess when a guy is doing an interview after a game and a teamate sneaks up and gives him the old shaving cream pie to the face or sticks something to his hat then that is indefensable as well

nearyG
01-02-2009, 12:11 PM
man ram, dempster, big papi, pujols

yaowowrocket11
01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Kevin Millar

Good choice, Millar gets my vote too.

EAGLES3658
01-02-2009, 12:14 PM
Manny enjoys it the most because he does whatever he wants:shrug:

yaowowrocket11
01-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Yes, Manny's personality is absolutely wonderful. Lazy bum, doesn't run out groundballs or pop-flys, quits on his team, such a great personality! The only time he is decent is when he is happy, wants to play, and getting his 20+ million.

WindyCityFlyer
01-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Jim Thome, Ryan Dempster, Nick Swisher, Sean Casey, Kevin Millar. There are more but I can't name it.

nygiants242
01-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah Thome.. maybe Millar as well.

Kevin Millwood!!! nat

La11
01-02-2009, 12:30 PM
orlando hudson(o-dawg) the funniest guy ever

zzConflict
01-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Swisher... that guy looks ****ing awesome.

unwantedplayer
01-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Manny being Manny :D

weebs
01-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Okay so he said something in the heat of the moment of one of his teammates being thrown at. Did he come out against the Rays and throw at someones head?

Maybe you should stop being a douche and understand that real athletes sometimes get caught up in the emotion of what happens on the field

caught up in the heat of the moment? he said it over a week later. no excuse for that. it was done, both sides had retaliated. he's a douche.

i get it, you're a sox fan. you're biased. that's cool. but the guy is an absolute idiot.

Raidaz4Life
01-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Schilling, Millar, Nomar, Pedroia, Papi

bartoron
01-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Mike Mussina, because he's really smart and likes crosswords. And he's cool. And was a really good pitcher. And his nickname is the moose.

rselinger
01-02-2009, 02:20 PM
I like the way Roy Halladay goes about his business. Handles everything professionally, is crazy intense, and works hard at what he does.

Tekmosis
01-02-2009, 02:21 PM
A-Rod, he's as cool as ice :cool:

theLgndKllr35
01-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Chase Utley, if you don't like him, **** you.

Seamhead
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Manny Ramirez and Jose Reyes.

ritz
01-02-2009, 03:33 PM
I do love Reyes' electric personality. A lot of teams and fans of other teams ***** about his antics, but I love seeing someone out there playing the game and having fun like it's more than just their job.

BaseballFan
01-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Lance Berkman is as real as it gets. If he was in a bigger TV market people could see.

I think one day blowing those bubbles while chewing on that gum as he's rounding the bases will fall out one day....he'll probably pick it right up and start chewing it again.

hawksd911
01-02-2009, 04:15 PM
somthing madison he was a nice guy but i dont remember his first name.

wmbonney
01-02-2009, 04:16 PM

agree :clap:

k_rock923
01-02-2009, 05:34 PM
David Wright. One of the hardest workers I've seen.

TheHoopsProphet
01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
im sorry, whether you like him or not, you cannot ignore manny in this department like most red sox fans seem to be trying to do.

doyerfan59
01-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Greg Maddux

Ian.
01-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Since I don't know much about personalities other than Mariners, my votes go:

-Bloomquist: Hell of a guy. Sure, he's not good, but he still works his *** off and puts 110% into it.
-Putz: Guy has an awesome sense of humor and can turn on the heat when he's closing. He gets pumped and never has anything bad to say about anyone. Mets, you guys have yourself a stand-up set-up man.
-Sexson: I know he was god awful, but he knew it as well and admitted that the boos got to him pyschologically. I always felt terrible for him. It's a shame when your fans boo your own players. In any situation.

Adalbjorg
01-02-2009, 09:19 PM

the riverdance crap

Sounds like you're just being a hater. You're faulting him for being in his high school talent show? You've got to be kidding me. And where the heck are you getting the stuff about jerking off in GaorAde bottles, lol?

Adalbjorg
01-02-2009, 09:20 PM
caught up in the heat of the moment? he said it over a week later. no excuse for that. it was done, both sides had retaliated. he's a douche.

i get it, you're a sox fan. you're biased. that's cool. but the guy is an absolute idiot.

I'm biased? You're the one faulting him for being in his high school talent show lol

Adalbjorg
01-02-2009, 09:21 PM
SO I guess when a guy is doing an interview after a game and a teamate sneaks up and gives him the old shaving cream pie to the face or sticks something to his hat then that is indefensable as well

And if they were ever in a middle school play or high school talent show, that's indefensible as well lol

hammerinhank
01-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Papelbon is by far the biggest idiot in baseball. Even if you are a die hard Sox fan I do not see how you could like him.

NYYCowboys
01-02-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm a Yanks fan and i think Arod has the worst personality in baseball. Not only does he choke all the time, but have you ever seen him in an interview? He may be the fakest person I've ever seen in my life. Also the way he runs in perfect strides annoys me a lot.

mays217
01-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Carlos Pena looked like a pretty fun dude throughout the post-season

Seamhead
01-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm a Yanks fan and i think Arod has the worst personality in baseball. Not only does he choke all the time

Yeah, he chokes all the time to the tune of a career .975 OPS in the clutchiest situations (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=rodrial01&year=00#wpa-lever) (higher than in any other situation)....

ritz
01-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, he chokes all the time to the tune of a career .975 OPS in the clutchiest situations (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/bsplit.cgi?n1=rodrial01&year=00#wpa-lever) (higher than in any other situation)....

Oh, you didn't get the memo? If a player strikes out or doesn't do what you expect them too once then they're very "un-clutch". People still **** on Beltran about not swinging in game 7 of the '06 NLCS, but no one recognizes that Wainwright threw a disgusting curveball.

Wright is also a choker for striking out when Murphy lead off the inning with a triple in one of the last games of the '08 season.

It doesn't matter what stats say. You have to judge a person based on one game or hell, even one AB. :rolleyes:

weebs
01-02-2009, 10:32 PM
Papelbon is by far the biggest idiot in baseball. Even if you are a die hard Sox fan I do not see how you could like him.

clearly i am not alone.

Ian.
01-02-2009, 10:50 PM
clearly i am not alone.

Add me to the Paps hater group for all reasons stated earlier.

Liney3506
01-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I still have to say Utley. He goes out, and plays the way baseball is supposed to be played. Injured or not, he gives it his all. He's the quiet leader type, but sometimes says the most unexpected things.

"Boo? **** you" and of course "World ****ing Champions"

Adalbjorg
01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
clearly i am not alone.

Congrats, two Yankees fans think he's a douche.

DJYankee
01-02-2009, 11:06 PM

add me to that list also!

I'm a Yanks fan and i think Arod has the worst personality in baseball. Not only does he choke all the time, but have you ever seen him in an interview? He may be the fakest person I've ever seen in my life. Also the way he runs in perfect strides annoys me a lot.

Don't get in A-Rod wagon when he tears the cover of the ball in 09..

Ian.
01-02-2009, 11:11 PM

Plus others. Beats biased Sox fans.

beast montero
01-02-2009, 11:15 PM

Dont forget get when he said he was a better closer. Even if he was, even though Mo had just as good or better stats, you should just show him a little respect.

beast montero
01-02-2009, 11:20 PM

ill join the list

And also to the person who said Arod is unclutch, he has his moments. But what does that have to do with personality? He is one of the hardest working players in baseball and wants to succeed and be liked. If you actually look, he is at the field hours before anyone else to work out.

Now i know this might sound stupid, but Jesus Montero is a great baseball personality. He works his *** off, loves to talk to fans and give autographs, loves playing the game, and respects the players around him.

patsfan01
01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
of currently active players:
probably
Dempster

Least favorite: a rod

CY24
01-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Eric Byrnes...Just watch one episode of "The Eric Byrnes Show" or "Best Damn" when he's on. Hilarious

hammerinhank
01-03-2009, 12:45 AM

Well I am a Braves fan and have no reason to hate him except for the fact that he is a douche... So no its not just Yankee fans.

Havoc Wreaker
01-03-2009, 01:33 AM
I dunno if its been said and Ive never met him but for some reason JT Snow strikes me as a really nice guy
Plus I took my Gum chewing technique while on the field from him

vladdy#27
01-03-2009, 01:52 AM
Torii Hunter

EVIL EMPIRE
01-03-2009, 03:08 PM
i dont like papelbum but i dislike points like yours that just spread bad rumors, someones going to read your comment and tell someone else , hey Paps said hes better than MO, and that other person will tel somoene else hey Paps said hes better than MO and he would beat his *** any day, and so on
He did not say hes better than MO, thats what the media tried to make his comments look like to add controversy, all he said that as a closer obviously he would like to close the allstar game, like any other closer would like to

Why don't you read my post again?...I'm not saying that he actually said he was better than Mo. I'm basically asking if he actually said that. And then I followed it by saying, if it was true, then I would like to hang with him so I could get a real good laugh. But you have to admit, that the guy is still an absolute tool. At least I think so.

Besdies the fact, that this isn't high school. Maybe you are use to/into the whole "spreading rumors" thing, I don't know...But I can assure you that I am not. So don't quote my post and turn it into something it's not...Thanks!

Opinion forum...go figure, you get opinions. :rolleyes:

nstachowski
01-03-2009, 03:22 PM

and herpes:D

DaaBoTownSox
01-04-2009, 01:28 AM
I think i'll go with Kevin Millar on this one.

THINKBLUE15
01-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Dave Roberts

IRUAM #21
01-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Matt Treanor

Dashtary
01-04-2009, 02:02 AM
probably millar and tejeda when he was on the o's, he was always laughing and doing handshakes

Globular
01-04-2009, 02:24 AM
i like chase utley, he's not afraid of keeping the FCC active (allstar game, WS parade). I also like that cole hamels called the mets choke artists. great stuff.

CHRISDODGERS
01-04-2009, 02:25 AM
Manny Ramirez.

:D

Tekmosis
01-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Manny Ramirez.

:D

You spelled thanks wrong in your signature and by the way, NO!

Kinsm
01-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Sean Casey, he just loves playing the game and is always up to speak to anyone and sign autographs...even if he isn't starter material anymore he looks like a kid in a candy store out there. (Albeit he does annoy me with his plate routine and he does seem to kid around a little too much down at first from time to time) But I still go with the "Mayor" of Cincy.

Giants-49ers-Ws
01-05-2009, 01:26 AM
eric byrnes..flat-out gamer and is a fill in host in the offseason on KNBR the bay area radio sports station