PDA

View Full Version : How good are the Orlando Magic? Can they win it all this year?

JordansBulls
01-01-2009, 07:29 PM
How good are the Orlando Magic? Can they win it all this year?

They are 25-7 this year and Dwight is playing at a MVP level. They have 4 guys averaging 16.5 ppg-19.7 ppg.

what54!?
01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
idk they are good but idk if their good enough to win it all. The key is Howard. If he plays like an MVP every game throughout the playoffs they have a good chance to.

29$JerZ
01-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Depends honestly on Jameer, if he plays at a high level during playoff time they have a shot. Dwight is Dwight but backcourt is just as important.

kvrnm
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
no chance, east belong to cleveland and boston.

king4day
01-01-2009, 07:52 PM
They need everything to go perfectly to have a chance.
I don't think they are deep enough to make the run presently.

The Answer3
01-01-2009, 08:13 PM
No chance. I'll explain. Dwight Howard when going up against a quality C doesn't dominate like he does against garbage Cs. He got shut down by Sheed the other night, he basically has to rely on his teammates. He doesn't have enough post moves to be a threat in the playoffs. His teammates live by the 3 and die by the 3. Magic's starting line up is basically 4 perimeter players and 1 C. If their 3 ball is fallin' they're a tough team to beat. But otherwise, no.

ManRam
01-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't think they are quite ready yet. To beat the Cavs or the Celtics in a 7 game series requires consistency, especially on defense. I don't think the Magic are good enough defensively (although they are pretty solid) to beat either of those two in a 7 game series. They can drop a ton of points on either of them on any given night, but I don't think they are good enough to win 4. They'll be competitive, and easily could win some games, but I their offense is a bit streaky, and their defense isn't up to par with the Cavs and Celts. They can score with the best of them (especially if Hedo starts shooting better)...but we all know what wins championships: defense.

Cubs Win
01-01-2009, 08:20 PM
No chance. I'll explain. Dwight Howard when going up against a quality C doesn't dominate like he does against garbage Cs. He got shut down by Sheed the other night, he basically has to rely on his teammates. He doesn't have enough post moves to be a threat in the playoffs. His teammates live by the 3 and die by the 3. Magic's starting line up is basically 4 perimeter players and 1 C. If their 3 ball is fallin' they're a tough team to beat. But otherwise, no.

Well I didn't actually watch the whole game, but I did see Dwight was shut down in the first half. But he ended up with 18 pts and 18 rebs, so was Sheed not covering him in the second half? Or did Dwight just go back to his dominant self. But I have to agree with you on the 3-pointer issue. When the Bulls played the Magic the first time this year, we played poorly but we still had a chance to win at the end because throughout the game the Magic would fall in love with their jumpshots. Anything is possible, so can they win it all? Well they have Dwight Howard so, yes. But the other players around him have to be more disciplined with their shots and drive to the basket. Its possible, but just not too likely.

The Answer3
01-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Well I didn't actually watch the whole game, but I did see Dwight was shut down in the first half. But he ended up with 18 pts and 18 rebs, so was Sheed not covering him in the second half? Or did Dwight just go back to his dominant self. But I have to agree with you on the 3-pointer issue. When the Bulls played the Magic the first time this year, we played poorly but we still had a chance to win at the end because throughout the game the Magic would fall in love with their jumpshots. Anything is possible, so can they win it all? Well they have Dwight Howard so, yes. But the other players around him have to be more disciplined with their shots and drive to the basket. Its possible, but just not too likely.

Amir Johnson guarded him in the 2nd half for the most time.

Dmunk08
01-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Hawks have a better chance buku head

NYK All the Way
01-01-2009, 08:33 PM
i think they can if Dwight stays healthy and hedo and rashard keep lighting it up

camador22
01-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Yes yes and yes. The Magic are better then the Cavs IMO. They proved they could beat the Lakers as well. The East will be down to Boston and Orlando with Atlanta being a wild card. The West is completely unpredictable with the Lakers, Spurs, Hornets and Rockets.

Dmunk08
01-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Hawks
hawks
hawks
hawks
hawks
hawks
hawks

superkegger
01-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Can they, of course they can. It will be a tough road, and like any team that wins it all, they need some bounces to go their way, but I think they could win it all. I don't think they will, but I think they could.

Lizard King
01-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Hawks
hawks
hawks
hawks
hawks
hawks
hawks

Enough.

Back on topic, I really can't say if they're capable of winning it all or not. If they play good defense in the playoffs, then why not?

J4KOP99
01-01-2009, 09:29 PM
They have no depth. With that said, no team that only relies on the 3 can win. The Suns have been trying it and it didn't work. The teams that win championships are the consistently good defensive teams. Yes Dwight Howard is a great player, but he has not proved he can dominate a playoff series yet. This is not the NFL or MLB where any team that makes it into the playoffs has a chance I see only 3 teams that can realistically win a championship this year. The Lakers, Celtics and Spurs.

cHi8DaL5LA420
01-01-2009, 09:35 PM
they only have 2 more losses than the cavs and the celtics so of course they can... they have a hell of a coach... very passionate coach he is... i def think they can win it all

pippsux
01-01-2009, 09:38 PM
The Magic are good, well coached and have a big 3 as good as any in the league. Hedo, Lewis and Howard guarantee them lots of success, the two problems they have are the rest of the team. SVG is trying to make them a defensive team, but honestly they need more shooters and should try and outscore the opponent and let Howard protect the paint, he is very good at that.

J4KOP99
01-01-2009, 09:39 PM
they only have 2 more losses than the cavs and the celtics so of course they can... they have a hell of a coach... very passionate coach he is... i def think they can win it all

After all my years of watching sports, if I have realized one thing it would be that when it comes down to it, the players win the championships...not the coach.

Hedo Turkoglu and Reshard Lewis just do not show me enough to win a championship. Add that to the fact that nobody on this team has really proven anything at all I do not think they can win a title this year. Down the road do they have a chance? Definitely.

Vinny642
01-01-2009, 10:09 PM
I think they can do it, they got a good team going and playing great and Jameer Nelson stepped up.

SteveNash
01-02-2009, 12:44 AM
Regular season players, regular season coach. They're not going to do much in the playoffs.

Iodine
01-02-2009, 12:47 AM
They have the talent to but their not consistent enough on d

BTownTeamsRKing
01-02-2009, 01:00 AM
too young. its very difficult to win with your leader being so young.
also, im not a big fan of their coach.
last, Rashard Lewis is great, but as a PF? idk

JordansBulls
01-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Regular season players, regular season coach. They're not going to do much in the playoffs.

They need to show they can beat Detroit in the playoffs, but the last 2 times Detroit had the HCA and were better.

SteveNash
01-02-2009, 01:19 AM
They need to show they can beat Detroit in the playoffs, but the last 2 times Detroit had the HCA and were better.

They need to show they can play against any good defensive team that won't them rain threes in a 7 game series. Beating the Raptors with Rasho defending Howard is useless, they can't beat Detroit, Boston, Cleveland.

The team is so far away from being a legitimate championship contender it's not even funny. The only solid spot they have someone at is SF. They need to switch Dwight to his natural PF spot, steal Clifford Ray back from Boston and hope he learns some kind of a post game. Trade Hedo/Rashard for a Center to play next to Dwight. Trade Nelson for someone that isn't a midget and wait for Courtney Lee to develop.

PartyManPat
01-02-2009, 05:00 AM
I think they probably have the talent to win it but i don't think they will win it...other than Howard they are fairly soft on defense, if he gets in foul trouble they usually get exposed inside. Also they rely on the 3 pointer way to much. If they get on a roll they can beat anyone any night, but i don't see them getting past teams like the celtics, cavs, or hawks in a 7 game series IMO.

S-Dot
01-02-2009, 10:29 AM
They don't have what it takes to defeat LeBron or the Celtics in a 7-game series. I cannot pinpoint exactly what they need (maybe a stronger bench or better starting PG), but they don't have what it takes just yet to win the East.

macc
01-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Honestly I think they have a chance to do it. My opinion is Bias because I'm a Magic fan but in any case their record shows what they can do, esp with wins against teams like LA and San Antonio. With that being said I agree that they live by the 3, but I don't mind that. They can shoot the 3. Plus they don't force their 3 point shots, they have good ball movement and 95% of their 3 balls are wide open.

I don't see where all the Cavs being that great comes in. Yes they are a good team but the best team they have beat this year arguably was Dallas. They have played alot of soft teams and come the second half of the season you're going to see that team with alot more loses. I think it's Bostons year again if their bench can hold up.

As a Magic fan I would rather our team go up against Lebron then Detroit in a 7 game series, I don't know what it is but Detroit always owns us. Hopefully that changes this year.

Dmunk08
01-02-2009, 12:05 PM
enough.

Back on topic, i really can't say if they're capable of winning it all or not. If they play good defense in the playoffs, then why not?

hawks have a better chance...........that's my point..........u bully.

JordansBulls
06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Thought this would be a good time to bring this thread back up.

Thread was made back in January and now Orlando who wasn't getting any publicity is now in the finals without their star PG Nelson.

Vinny642
06-01-2009, 02:03 PM
LOL I voted yes and still am sticking to my vote, but i wish Jameer was healthy.

JordansBulls
06-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Here was a thread back in July with them.

Link - Are the Orlando Magic Good Enough to take the East this Year (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243379&highlight=Orlando+Magic)

Vinny642
06-01-2009, 02:12 PM
awww im not in that one.
Well they are in it, and i expect them to play hard.

ragee
06-01-2009, 02:29 PM
This thread shows just how underrated the Magic were... :D

fresh prince
06-01-2009, 02:29 PM
As a Laker fan I say absolutely the Magic are good enough to win this series.

They are a great TEAM.. IMO they present a tougher challenge for the Lakers than Cleveland would have.

They have a super star, 2 All Star caliber players (Ra Lewis, Turk) and solid role players (Alston,Lee, Pietrus, Gortat, AJ, Reddick) around them.

Thats always been the recipe for a championship team.

This will be a tough series

king4day
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Reddick v. Morrison in the finals. Who'd have thunk it :D

VCaintdead17
06-01-2009, 02:51 PM
no chance, east belong to cleveland and boston.

bahahahaha