PDA

View Full Version : NBA ticky tack fouls hurting the game/needs to change

Missing56&33
12-31-2008, 09:16 PM
IMO the game has been flawed with all the ticky tack, soft fouls being called on a nightly basis. Some refs have nights when they decide they're not going to call soft fouls(letting them play) and some nights if you blow on a guy its getting called. Its very inconsistent

The NBA needs to go back to the old school way of playing the game. It seems to me that we lost track of what a foul really is. Now we dont even know what a foul looks like? But if you really look at the game u can tell a foul if you see it? We all know what a foul looks like? If your confused right now....so are the refs. They dont know what to call anymore. I think in the off season the league needs to sit down and come up with a solution as to be more consistent with calling the game

I dont like the hand check rule, lets get rid of that and go back to the old school style of playing the game. Our current players are talented enough to adapt. Injuries?????? so what we got talent coming from overseas, college, Dleague all over the world. What kills me, guys like Kobe, Lebron and K G act like they are untouchable... with the bs flagrant fouls being called if you give a hard foul. Those guys are to good to foul soft so you got to hit em and make them feel it. But the players are so afraid to touch each other these days.
Get rid of the flagrant fouls, hand checks , the little baby bumps off the pop and screen, less loose ball fouls(its getting really ridiculous) and let the guys go for the freaking ball. We spent way to much time slowing the game down to take foul shots on soft calls, flagrant fouls, defensive 3 secs( which is the stupidest call i have ever seen...please go back to illegal defense)loose ball fouls, and breakaway clear path fouls(should a player just let the guy score just because hes in front of him... bs call.. let them play..just call a foul

We all know what a foul is call it and play the game

R. Johnson#3
12-31-2008, 09:20 PM
I agree with some of what you're saying but I disagree on getting rid of flagrants. Look at it this way. A player gets bumped and a foul is called. A player gets thrown down on purpose and a foul of the same degree is called. That shouldn't be. Keep the flagrants.

lakers4sho
12-31-2008, 09:24 PM
try telling that to David Stern

that's all I've got to say :)

Missing56&33
12-31-2008, 09:26 PM
I agree with some of what you're saying but I disagree on getting rid of flagrants. Look at it this way. A player gets bumped and a foul is called. A player gets thrown down on purpose and a foul of the same degree is called. That shouldn't be. Keep the flagrants.

i understand your point but i would like to see a technical foul called instead, instead of a flagrant. I think two shots and the ball is to much. But keep the two technical foul and your out rule and that should decrease the fouls with malice. But the refs system is flawed thats where the problem is.

Hey but when you throw a player to the floor we can determine that much its a technical or ejections its that simple

Missing56&33
12-31-2008, 09:29 PM
its frustrating because guys like Charles Oakley, Anthony mason, even MJ's game would have been different if they had played under these rules. I mean Oakley would have fouled out every single game and out of the league under these conditions

SteveNash
12-31-2008, 09:39 PM
People don't like to see good defense. From banning zone defense in the 40s when no one could shoot. Introducing the shot clock in the 50s. Three point line in the 70s. Elminating handchecking in the 80s.

The NBA tried to stop guys like Wilt from being dominating too much. 20/30 years later the NBA saw what marketing opportunities could arise from being a star league and changed the rules to increase offenses, and focus on individual stars. The league is never going back.

Hawkeye15
12-31-2008, 09:48 PM
People got sick of the Knicks/Heat/Pistons style. Contact, low scoring games, etc. So they made the hand check rule, and types of flagrant fouls, etc. A player like Tony Parker would have been average in 1994. It is also why MJ should be viewed at such a higher level than anyone currently. If he played today, he would average 40 ppg.

Chronz
01-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Dont agree, the league has done a great job of keeping a balance of power for offense and defense. If things never changed then every Finals for the next 4 years after 2005 would have been Pistons vs Spurs rematches. Yes they were very fun to watch for hardcore fans but it turned off the casual fans and those are the ones that matter.

Defenses were getting too good, plain and simple something had to be done. People call this league soft but its still a good defensive league. The only difference is that its not ugly to watch anymore.

MiamiHeat
01-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Do you mean like this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YHNw6zEfI
:D

Reggie Evans Gets a Tech for Spanking Kyle Korver

Chronz
01-01-2009, 01:26 AM

No that was a make up call for grabbing Kamans nuts, when you get a reputation it sticks, from now on Reggies going to get called for any gay **** he does.

Missing56&33
01-01-2009, 02:27 AM

Yes exactly like that one, first of all that was not a foul, Evans over reacted, Korver is not going to take that ball away from him its a no call but he blew the whistle and all that other bs happened . I ridiculous and bad for the game

Vinny642
01-01-2009, 02:47 AM
The refs are calling horrible fouls, thats all i gotta say

Joshtd1
01-01-2009, 03:46 AM
I agree. I wish the NBA would let the guys play a little bit more. It gets very irritating after a while to see someone drive, and if they barely get bumped its a fou.

DJ CHACH
01-01-2009, 04:21 AM
al it takes is for a player like devin harris to jolt his head back and guaranteed whistle...if there is a high screen and roll, every point guard runs into the big man and jolts their head back, adn automatically gets the call. devin harris and tony parker, run into the lane, avoid any free space and would rather foul out anybody and everybody in the lane. The paint doesnt belong to the pg's..and if they ever drive the lane, every big man should level them and teach them not to come down low. thats wut oakley did, ewing did, mason did, dale davis, antonio davis, alonzo..thats wut i like bout james posey, he's old skul..players like that are intangibles. and bbruce bowen doesnt play good d, he just simply gets away with anything he does...its not good d if u are allowed to hold someone and kick them in the shins and all that kinda stuff..the nba players now are soft. how soft u ask? soft enough that devin harris is 2nd in the league in FT aTTEMPTS..which means what? it simply means he doesnt look to be creative, he just would rather foul everyone out..its gay and he belongs in the wnba with all that screaming he does when he drives to the basket. how is he considered to having an all star year..i wish someone put david stern on the court and asked him to play d against devin harris, or kobe..even if any star had their feet tied together, david stern would get called for 3 quick fouls. 1 for attempting to touch a player A 2nd for devising a plan in his head a 3rd foul for put ur hand out and a technical for malicious intent...god i wish jordan was the commish

Kyle N.
01-01-2009, 04:48 AM
The ticky tack fouls don't bother me that much. But what really makes me mad are the superstar calls down the stretch of a game. All they have to do is drive down the lane and flop in the air and they go to the line everytime.

Wilson
01-01-2009, 09:56 AM
NBA referees are very frustrating. I agree that some of the ticky tack fouls should be cut out of the game, I like to see a little physicality. It can also be very irritating when TV timeouts pop up after every other foul.

The star fouls can be extremely irritating. I don't know what to say when I see Kevin Garnett gets free throws off a little touch foul, and then a guy like Udonis Haslem won't get the same call in the same game. The refs have just got to learn how call a game consistently.

lakers4sho
01-01-2009, 12:14 PM
LOL I love how the refs pick on rookies they won't give them a break.

FOBolous
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
yea...sometimes i turn off the tv and stop watching the games because of all the fouls. it ruins the flow of the games and make it unwatchable.