PDA

View Full Version : Celtics lose to Portland (With an extra man!?)

Toronto_Fan
12-31-2008, 02:03 PM
LMAO @ 45 seconds into this clip from the Celts - Blazers games last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hsIOuL3B0

Its' always fun to see the Celtics lose but wow.

Lakersho
12-31-2008, 02:32 PM
not so unstoppable,i think old legs and no bench is catchin up, that and if you bang em hard they seem to lose composer.good game blazers!!!

MiamiHeat
12-31-2008, 02:39 PM
lol 6 blazers players on the floor

Knickrocketsfan
12-31-2008, 02:45 PM
not so unstoppable,i think old legs and no bench is catchin up, that and if you bang em hard they seem to lose composer.good game blazers!!!

calm down I hate boston too but its not like the lakers are better the laker lack the mentality to play hard every game the knicks game where they won by luck is the prefect example

greg_ory_2005
12-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. :laugh2:

young_beef
12-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Lmao!!..

_Sn1P3r_
12-31-2008, 03:18 PM
Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. :laugh2:

Your sig is sick.

And as for the video, that's pretty jokes. I wonder how the coach didn't notice.

tonyd3b54
12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
this was the stupidest thing ive ever seen... they counted the basket too even tho they scored it with 6th men... you can use replay to go back and review fights and last second shots but you cant to see if theres to many men on the floor? this lost the celtics the game...

superkegger
12-31-2008, 03:24 PM
that call alone didn't lose them the game. there was plenty of time to make up for it, but they couldn't get the stops or buckets, that call didn't decide the game

theuuord
12-31-2008, 03:28 PM
that call alone didn't lose them the game. there was plenty of time to make up for it, but they couldn't get the stops or buckets, that call didn't decide the game

Probably not, but butterfly effect dictates that the rest of the game would have likely gone very differently...

The bucket counting is not a good look by NBA rulemakers.

SUNDUNDIDIT
12-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Just goes to show how bad the NBA is officiated.....Somethin needs to be done about this garbage as officiating.

superkegger
12-31-2008, 03:46 PM
Probably not, but butterfly effect dictates that the rest of the game would have likely gone very differently...

The bucket counting is not a good look by NBA rulemakers.

very differently? I doubt it. Bad calls happen, and they happen for and against every team. Was it a bad call here? Yes. But it happens. The Celtics were up by 4 still at this point, and it was still in the first half. This play by no means decided the game. Perhaps it was the fact that the Blazers outplayed the Celtics in the second half that decided the game. :shrug:

weebs
12-31-2008, 03:48 PM
this was the stupidest thing ive ever seen... they counted the basket too even tho they scored it with 6th men... you can use replay to go back and review fights and last second shots but you cant to see if theres to many men on the floor? this lost the celtics the game...

uh....the blazers got called for a technical and the FT was made, am I wrong? It was a 1 point difference. If you make excuses and say this is why they lost that's just dumb.

Toronto_Fan
12-31-2008, 03:55 PM
No one is saying that is why they lost.

It's just kinda embarrassing for the NBA if you ask me.
The bucket should not of counted.

tonyd3b54
12-31-2008, 03:55 PM
at the end of the game the celtics were down by 3 and had to jack up a wild contested shot... instead of being down 2 which wouldve made it a lot easier... this game was also horribly officiated for both sides... ive never seen such awful officiating...

superkegger
12-31-2008, 03:59 PM
No one is saying that is why they lost.

It's just kinda embarrassing for the NBA if you ask me.
The bucket should not of counted.

but they are.

Toronto_Fan
12-31-2008, 04:11 PM
thwarted!

Ok, re-phrase.

"I'M" not sayin thats why the C's lost. That's a separate argument.

On the issue of whether the bucket should of counted?
Absoluely not! That doesnt even make sense.

6 vs 5. <----That looks weird right.

superkegger
12-31-2008, 04:18 PM
I'm not saying the bucket should have counted by any means.

all i'm saying it was a bad call, and we all know bad calls happen. it did not determine the game, plus it was in the first half.

Toronto_Fan
12-31-2008, 04:20 PM
See I disagree partner.

I think a bad call is if a ref misses a foul or something.
A bad call comes within the confines of the rule book, or should at least!

nah mean.

da wood
12-31-2008, 04:26 PM
they just went with the rule book. and if you want to nit pick lets talk about ya boy kg. LA was gettin the best of him and he went and elbowwed my man in the back of the head.

Toronto_Fan
12-31-2008, 04:38 PM
they just went with the rule book.

huh?
what are you talking about?

And KG is far from my boy.

lakers4sho
12-31-2008, 04:44 PM
huh?
what are you talking about?

And KG is far from my boy.

That they couldn't take away the Portland basket.

thesparky33
12-31-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm disagreeing with you SK. The basket shouldnt have counted, and I see NO argument as to why it should. I would be pissed if I were a Boston fan.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-31-2008, 04:46 PM
uh....the blazers got called for a technical and the FT was made, am I wrong? It was a 1 point difference. If you make excuses and say this is why they lost that's just dumb.

wrong. it was a 2 point difference because the basket should not count.

Toronto_Fan
12-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Your telling me that basket counted because they went with the rule book.
That's even worse.
What an embarrassment.

superkegger
12-31-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm disagreeing with you SK. The basket shouldnt have counted, and I see NO argument as to why it should. I would be pissed if I were a Boston fan.

where did I say the basket should have counted? :confused:

I'm not saying the bucket should have counted by any means

weebs
12-31-2008, 05:18 PM
wrong. it was a 2 point difference because the basket should not count.
if the event never would have happened, no points would have been scored. or maybe the blazers would have scored on that possession anyways.

the event did happen, and the blazers gained 1 point because of it, basket minus techinical.

one point swing, at worst case scenario - and that's not even considering the blazers might have scored on that possession anyways. learn math.

this is honestly why boston sports fans have gotten such a bad name. stop whining. you shouldn't have been in that scenario anyways.

tonyd3b54
12-31-2008, 05:31 PM
no1 is friggen whining the basket should not have counted and its an embarassment to the league that it did... wat if this happened in the nba finals? wat if boston came out with 6 men after a time out against the lakers? we would not be hearing the end of this and the boston hating would never end...

$ NyC $
12-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Ok, that play lead to a dunk. Not like som1 was left open and hit a 3. So the extra guy was out PLUS they did get a technical. In the end of the game, they didn't lose by 1 point. Blazers got hit with a tech. and Celtics got the free throw. 2nd half they were out played and thats that.

GregOden#1
12-31-2008, 05:57 PM
Take away every bad call and the Blazers win by 40, stop whining C's fans. Only reason people hate your team is because you whine.

Iodine
12-31-2008, 06:04 PM
That was easily the reason they lost not Ray allen shooting 2-11
Not them having 13 assists to 13 to's(lead to 22 portland points)
Not them being manhandled on the boards
clearly that play

thapharcyd
12-31-2008, 07:04 PM
no1 is friggen whining the basket should not have counted and its an embarassment to the league that it did... wat if this happened in the nba finals? wat if boston came out with 6 men after a time out against the lakers? we would not be hearing the end of this and the boston hating would never end...

I think they deserved to have the basket counted when no one on Boston realized there was an extra man till after the play!! and KG shoulda been ejected when he got that tech

COLH
12-31-2008, 07:34 PM
hahahahaha!!! did that basket count when they had 6 guys on the floor!!??? AHHAHA

carter15
12-31-2008, 08:45 PM
boston deserves that.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-01-2009, 03:03 AM
I think they deserved to have the basket counted when no one on Boston realized there was an extra man till after the play!! and KG shoulda been ejected when he got that tech

wrong. KG was screaming at the ref holding up 6 fingers and the ref just ignored him during the play.

this basket caused a 2 pt difference that shouldnt have existed. the basket should not have counted and a technical should have been called.

so actually it is a 3pt swing if the call is made correctly.

the worst thing about this is the excuse of we couldnt fix it. take away the 2pts and call a T and its fixed. do not see wat is so hard about that.

madiaz3
01-01-2009, 04:08 AM

the blazers were without brandon roy. you shouldnt have even been down as much as you were. this was not your game to win. PERIOD.

weebs
01-01-2009, 01:04 PM
wrong. KG was screaming at the ref holding up 6 fingers and the ref just ignored him during the play.

this basket caused a 2 pt difference that shouldnt have existed. the basket should not have counted and a technical should have been called.

the worst thing about this is the excuse of we couldnt fix it. take away the 2pts and call a T and its fixed. do not see wat is so hard about that.

all I hear is :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

innovator
01-01-2009, 02:14 PM
2 normal blazer = brandon roy & 6 blazers w/o broy = 4 blazers along w/ roy totals to 5
so putting 1 more blazer is just making up for the absence of brandon roy so not big of a problem

Tblaze
01-01-2009, 02:30 PM

Ooh BOOOOHOOOOO get over it honestly, if you actually watched the whole game you would've noticed the refs where screwing over portland all game long. I'll quote the commentator: "On one end of the floor touchy-touchy-feely fouls are called and on the other you get your jaw broken without a whistle". Besides the fouling, Oden got screwd over with his travel, and when Pierce does EXACTLY the same he doesn't get called for it? House who should've been called for a flagrant, but noooo it's the celtics and they can still win the game.

It amazes me how boston fans can actually make a big deal about that 6 man play when without those same refs they'd have lost by 40. I respect alot of boston fans, and some of it's players, but garnett and a few lame fans who I'm not going to recall really make themselves look bad.

lovingTO
01-01-2009, 02:44 PM
It was a bs call for sure...I would be upset if it happend to my team. It did not 'cost' them the game though.

retropit
01-01-2009, 03:09 PM
why are you complaining? the celtics have an extra man all the time... actually 3, the refs

but seriously, this is just embarassing... for everyone

pippsux
01-01-2009, 10:23 PM
This is when you wonder where they get these refs from. What are they looking at? The minute they knew it happened they should taken 2 points of the Blazers and given a technical free throw and possesion to the Celts. That is 5 point swing, in a game the Celts lost by 4.

weebs
01-01-2009, 10:24 PM
this is when you wonder where they get these refs from. What are they looking at? The minute they knew it happened they should taken 2 points of the blazers and given a technical free throw to the celts. That is 4 point swing, in a game the celts lost by 4.

2+1=4?

lakers4sho
01-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Of course if the C's won the game we wouldn't hear anything about this.

pippsux
01-01-2009, 10:32 PM
2+1=4?

Let the ink dry, I was still editing.

weebs
01-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Let the ink dry, I was still editing.

the fact is that every single game has questionable calls that go either way, and often they swing 3 or 4 plays in one direction. this game is no exception, just because this is a highly publicized one does not make it any more impactful.

lakers4sho
01-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Even if the basket didn't count the Blazers still would've won by 3, if you guys just want to base it off of mathematics :shrug:

G-Funk
01-01-2009, 10:54 PM
**** the Refs! That call was really bad. I think that threw the Celtics off for the rest of the game. If t hey wearnt such whiners im sure they could have played through it tough and won the game.

G-Funk
01-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Even if the basket didn't count the Blazers still would've won by 3, if you guys just want to base it off of mathematics :shrug:

yeah they would have probably scored anyway it was just the call... In that case teams are gonna start doing it in the Final seconds of a game...

But seriously what if this was during the Finals, tied game, 20 seconds left?

UnWantedTheory
01-01-2009, 11:01 PM
lol...what happened...

lakers4sho
01-01-2009, 11:07 PM
yeah they would have probably scored anyway it was just the call... In that case teams are gonna start doing it in the Final seconds of a game...

But seriously what if this was during the Finals, tied game, 20 seconds left?

I agree that the referees made a major mistake, but the C's had A LOT of opportunities to make up for that instead of complaining to the refs trying to act tough. The Blazers made several mistakes that the C's could've capitalized upon.

and it wasn't "during the Finals, tied game, 20 seconds left" :D

BTownTeamsRKing
01-01-2009, 11:54 PM
**** the Refs! That call was really bad. I think that threw the Celtics off for the rest of the game. If t hey wearnt such whiners im sure they could have played through it tough and won the game.

seriously the first rule in Bball is each plays with 5 players and the refs cant even get that right.

weebs
01-02-2009, 12:02 AM
celtics fans, you're just looking bad by whining so much. it's one call. portland had a lot of other ones that were questionable go against them.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-02-2009, 12:06 AM
celtics fans, you're just looking bad by whining so much. it's one call. portland had a lot of other ones that were questionable go against them.

your right. i have no right to complain that the NBA refs DONT KNOW THE FIRST RULE OF BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!

do u understand how stupid the league looks???

no Celtics fan here is saying thats why we lost. (at least im not) We are simply examining that play that actually has gotten writers around the country questioning the league and their product.

stern should stop globalization of basketball. stop nitpicking at what players wear and what music they listen to and FIX THE DAMN OFFICIATING.

weebs
01-02-2009, 12:09 AM
your right. i have no right to complain that the NBA refs DONT KNOW THE FIRST RULE OF BASKETBALL!!!!!!!!

do u understand how stupid the league looks???

no Celtics fan here is saying thats why we lost. (at least im not) We are simply examining that play that actually has gotten writers around the country questioning the league and their product.

stern should stop globalization of basketball. stop nitpicking at what players wear and what music they listen to and FIX THE DAMN OFFICIATING.

Yes, somebody said this is why they lost.

They made a mistake, it's the only time in 20+ years I have ever seen it happen. But because it happened to the mighty Boston Celtics, omg omg omg freak out over it. Get over it, dude. It was dumb and something to laugh at, but it didn't determine the game and it isn't something that's happening with any frequency at all. It's just a complete non-story that's being made into one because everyone loves to focus on Boston and make stories from it.

lakers4sho
01-02-2009, 12:12 AM
I'm pretty sure those refs already got an ***-whooping from Mr. Stern as their New Year present.

cHi8DaL5LA420
01-02-2009, 12:12 AM
i dont agree with the rule... the basket should not have counted ... that doesnt make any sense to me

BTownTeamsRKing
01-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Yes, somebody said this is why they lost.

They made a mistake, it's the only time in 20+ years I have ever seen it happen. But because it happened to the mighty Boston Celtics, omg omg omg freak out over it. Get over it, dude. It was dumb and something to laugh at, but it didn't determine the game and it isn't something that's happening with any frequency at all. It's just a complete non-story that's being made into one because everyone loves to focus on Boston and make stories from it.

east coast bias. it exists in Boston and New York so much.

GregOden#1
01-02-2009, 02:12 AM

You DONT want the NBA to fix the officiating, because that would mean that that massive Celtics advantage that they've had all season (including the Portland game) would suddenly dissapear. You WANT the refs to be biased and ridiculous, because they're almost always that way in favor of YOUR TEAM.

BTownTeamsRKing
01-02-2009, 11:05 AM
^now look whos complaining. argument over.

GregOden#1
01-02-2009, 11:12 AM

I know, when Celtic fans have the balls to complain about reffing, hell has frozen over.

weebs
01-02-2009, 01:35 PM

congrats on giving an entire city's fanbase a bad name.

breedlove2drug
01-02-2009, 03:53 PM
hilarious

DrDEADalready
01-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Yep already a thread on it

breedlove2drug
01-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Yep already a thread on it

crap... sorry then

DrDEADalready
01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
No worries. But still thats some funny stuff

njnets
01-02-2009, 04:42 PM
how did that happen anyways? i know im late but how does the ref, coach, players, etc. ALL miss it for that one possession?

DrDEADalready
01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
I didnt see the game. but I wonder that too. i bet the celtics were freaking out. being like theres AN EXTRA MAN. how long did it go on for?

breedlove2drug
01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
I didnt see the game. but I wonder that too. i bet the celtics were freaking out. being like theres AN EXTRA MAN. how long did it go on for?

well, there were like 9.7 seconds left on the 2nd quarter. So, they just finished the first half with the blazers scoring and there was a technical from them too

Raps08-09 Champ
01-02-2009, 09:34 PM
at the end of the game the celtics were down by 3 and had to jack up a wild contested shot... instead of being down 2 which wouldve made it a lot easier... this game was also horribly officiated for both sides... ive never seen such awful officiating...

well if they didnt make that basket then the whole game wouldnt have gone the way it did

and why you so mad that the celts lost. they arent gonna win every game

NYMetros
01-02-2009, 09:42 PM

You don't know that. Pretty terrible call, it is what it is.

It didn't single-handedly lose them the game, but the game wouldn't have played out the same way it did.

NYMetros
01-02-2009, 09:43 PM
That they couldn't take away the Portland basket.

:eyebrow:

Um, link? If that's an official rule, then the NBA is officially ********. Hey, why doesn't every team do this now? It guarantees you get a slam dunk every time and the refs can't do anything about it!

theuuord
01-02-2009, 10:02 PM
:eyebrow:

Um, link? If that's an official rule, then the NBA is officially ********. Hey, why doesn't every team do this now? It guarantees you get a slam dunk every time and the refs can't do anything about it!

It's in the rule book, but it's not exactly that way. If the refs don't catch it until after the play has finished, then the basket counts. But, most refs would be smart enough to catch it. This was just a dumb circumstance.

I agree the rule should be changed but it's not as extreme as that.

Toronto_Fan
01-03-2009, 02:52 AM
and why you so mad that the celts lost. they arent gonna win every game

You clearly don't understand what this thread is about.

pippsux
01-03-2009, 03:19 AM
I am no Celtic fan, I am fan of basketball and the refs in the game blew a game changing call. The Blazers knowingly had 6 guys out there and scored. The refs should have taken 2 points off the Blazers, given a technical free throw to the Celts and the ball. That is a 3-5 point swing. You can hate a team all you want, but the game has no integrity when you let that stuff happen.

Raps08-09 Champ
01-03-2009, 01:24 PM
You clearly don't understand what this thread is about.

im just saying its over with so deal with it. You can complain but its not going to do any good

pippsux
01-03-2009, 01:47 PM
What if home court advantage comes down to 1 game between the Cavs and Celts or the Lakers in the final. I hope that's what happens, that was pathetic to watch, as a fan of sports and the integrity of sports. The Celts are the defending champs and they have earned the right to be a#$ h@les, but they should lose fair and square. Even streetball has rules about that.

Bob_at_york
01-05-2009, 05:25 PM
lol 6 blazers players on the floor

I just heard about this today. That is amazing. I wish the Raptors would try a powerplay like that.