PDA

View Full Version : is joe johnson the most underrated star in the NBA?

codes238
12-31-2008, 11:07 AM
personally i think he is, and if you disagree who do you think is the most underrated?

LakerzDQ
12-31-2008, 11:28 AM
well, he's a hell of a player. he's actually quite clutch, and shows up for big games.
I think he's better than Brandon Roy.

grkmaster
12-31-2008, 11:44 AM
2010 is going to be a nice payday for him as well.....

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Most underrated superstarr in the NBA
hes got it all just like Kobe and Roy and a healthy T-mac

marlinsfan24
12-31-2008, 12:28 PM
^he's an underrated star, but he is nowhere near the class of Kobe, Wade, Lebron. He's not a superstar.

WntAbCEO
12-31-2008, 01:18 PM
IMO yes!!! I always liked him, to bad he's still not on the Suns

njnets
12-31-2008, 01:59 PM
thank you. someone agrees with me. i think he is the most underrated player in the nba and i think he is an unbelievable player.

greg_ory_2005
12-31-2008, 02:51 PM
He's a great player. I think that he's a bit underrated.

what54!?
12-31-2008, 02:59 PM
yeah I think he's underrated. He's the second best shooting guard in the east and he's a clutch player.

ramz.n
12-31-2008, 03:06 PM
don't think hes underrated with the paychecks he's getting, and its scary to see how much more he could make after 2010.

Roy for most underrated, with the selection of Oden at #1 can you guys really say who's the franchise player in Portland ?

b_rad23
12-31-2008, 03:11 PM
don't think hes underrated with the paychecks he's getting, and its scary to see how much more he could make after 2010.

Roy for most underrated, with the selection of Oden at #1 can you guys really say who's the franchise player in Portland ?

Roy at this point is getting overrated.

Wake's Fastball
12-31-2008, 06:18 PM
JJ is absolutely underrated, but Danny Granger's the #5 scorer in the league, and he never gets talked about in the least.

kvrnm
12-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Roy at this point is getting overrated.

agreed.... joe johnson is better then him imo.

Dmunk08
12-31-2008, 07:01 PM
I agree he is underrated.......but put him on portland with those's bigs and that bench with bayless back court and portland will win more games..... Think about it.......thats what makes him better,,,,

Hawkeye15
12-31-2008, 07:44 PM
He is underrated, along with Granger, Al Jefferson, and Josh Howard

The Prodigy
12-31-2008, 08:08 PM
it cant be jj because everyone is saying him which means they realize his talents, the hawks as a whole might be the most underrated team but danny granger or d-will or al jefferson

IndyRealist
12-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Up until last year he's been the best player on a really, really bad team. Now he's the best player on a decent team. If he's underrated it's because he hadn't been producing wins until recently.

Danny Granger, again, is the best player on a bad team. He's not particularly flashy, he doesn't really dunk, and he falls in love with the 3pt line. A few more 30pt games, and a few more in the win column, and people will notice.

Now on the other hand, Devin Harris WAS underrated. Now the Nets are winning games, and suddenly Devin Harris gets noticed.

superkegger
12-31-2008, 08:36 PM
JJ is absolutely underrated, but Danny Granger's the #5 scorer in the league, and he never gets talked about in the least.

Yeah, I agree that Granger is underrated, but I think it has something to do with the fact that the Pacers are pretty bad.

He is underrated, along with Granger, Al Jefferson, and Josh Howard

Josh Howard is not underrated at all. Everyone knows this guy and is aware of what he can do.

I'm not sure Al Jefferson is underrated persay. Maybe under appreciated, but everyone (with some real basketball knowledge anyway) is aware he's on of the top big men in the league. He'll continue to get hated on because the Wolves blow enormous horse dick, but being hated on for that is different from being underrated.

Sport
12-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Yeah, I agree that Granger is underrated, but I think it has something to do with the fact that the Pacers are pretty bad.

Josh Howard is not underrated at all. Everyone knows this guy and is aware of what he can do.

I'm not sure Al Jefferson is underrated persay. Maybe under appreciated, but everyone (with some real basketball knowledge anyway) is aware he's on of the top big men in the league. He'll continue to get hated on because the Wolves blow enormous horse dick, but being hated on for that is different from being underrated.

As a Wolf fan, I should be upset with this comment. But it was actually ****ing hilarious.

superkegger
12-31-2008, 08:43 PM
As a Wolves fan, I should be upset with this comment. But it was actually ****ing hilarious.

hey man, I love the wolves. If I were still living in the Twin Cities, I'd be a full fledged wolves fan by now. But they're horrid right now. Just horrid. And until that turns around, Big Al is going to be hated on for having so called "inflated stats" and so on and so forth.

cmellofan15
12-31-2008, 08:57 PM
I think most of players on the Hawks are underrated. Specificly JJ and Hordford. Smith gets some love but he's underrated a little. Danny Granger is also underrated, but that's because his team gets no attention.

PRETTY BIRD!
12-31-2008, 09:04 PM
He's underrated, but he's not the most underrated, the most underrated without a doubt is Tony Parker who is the real star in the spurs!....and the reason they won their last champioship!

chicagowhitesox
12-31-2008, 09:05 PM
not nemore because everyone is ALWAYS saying how underrated he is. now he's overrated.

IversonIsKrazy
12-31-2008, 09:34 PM
IMO, the most underrated players in the league r these, top 3.

Joe Johnson, Danny Granger, Al Jefferson

Sports Illustrator
12-31-2008, 09:45 PM
We all need to get something clear. The NBA fans do not underrate him, fans recognize where he stands. Its the league in general that actually underrates him as a player.

If it wasn't for him, the Hawks would not be nearly as successful as they are today.

He isn't the only star underrated, but of all stars he is the most underrated IMO.

codes238
12-31-2008, 10:42 PM
We all need to get something clear. The NBA fans do not underrate him, fans recognize where he stands. Its the league in general that actually underrates him as a player.

If it wasn't for him, the Hawks would not be nearly as successful as they are today.

He isn't the only star underrated, but of all stars he is the most underrated IMO.

well he is unquestionably the second best guard in the east in my opinion yea i dont even think he's in the top 5 of fan voting for the all-star game... maybe the hardcore fans dont underrate him but i think he is very underrated by casual fans...

G-Funk
12-31-2008, 10:53 PM
simply yes

The Prodigy
12-31-2008, 11:46 PM

the league does not underate him. when he goes up against the elite teams that are good defensively like the celtics he gets double teams thrown at him. the best defender will always be on him. so how does the league underrate him. even my friends that dont watch basketball know he is good

tonyd3b54
12-31-2008, 11:50 PM
the league does not underate him. when he goes up against the elite teams that are good defensively like the celtics he gets double teams thrown at him. the best defender will always be on him. so how does the league underrate him. even my friends that dont watch basketball know he is good

by the league he means david stern and all the suits in his office... they dont get him enough media attention... so he doesnt get the accolades he deserves...

The Prodigy
12-31-2008, 11:55 PM
by the league he means david stern and all the suits in his office... they dont get him enough media attention... so he doesnt get the accolades he deserves...

its not that stern doesnt give him enough attention its just that he is not in a big market, hes not lebron, and not the best at his postion. So the league dosent talk about a lot of good players such as deron williams and jj. players like that are just in the shadows of others. for instance d will is behind cp3 and jj is behind wade and kobe.

Chronz
01-01-2009, 01:23 AM
You know what, people have been saying this for so long that I was going to post a thread asking at what time does a player go from underrated to overrated from everyone saying hes underrated. But then I checked out the fan voting and JJ is WAY below everyone, I guess no matter how many people say hes underrated he wont get the recognition he deserves, so yes I guess hes underrated. Depends on who you ask.

tonyd3b54
01-01-2009, 01:53 AM
its not that stern doesnt give him enough attention its just that he is not in a big market, hes not lebron, and not the best at his postion. So the league dosent talk about a lot of good players such as deron williams and jj. players like that are just in the shadows of others. for instance d will is behind cp3 and jj is behind wade and kobe.

the hawks dont get nationally televised much at all that would get jj recognized and taht has to do with stern...

cardinals1226
01-01-2009, 01:55 AM
the hawks dont get nationally televised much at all that would get jj recognized and taht has to do with stern...

No, it has to do with the team being garbage for the past 10 years and them just now becoming a winning team. They'll be televised more next year because of their recent success.

FlawlessKB24
01-01-2009, 04:25 AM
i look at it in a different perspective.
He is a 2-time, soon to be 3-time All-Star all in consecutive years.
We all know he's an elite guard. That does not classify as "underrated" in my book

KB24PG16
01-01-2009, 04:12 PM
he is underated but not the most underated

yojoe792
01-01-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm shcoked. I am seeing 0 love for Joe Johnson, the best SG in the East behind Dwyane Wade, and it isn't by much.

Honest to God, JJ is creeping up on Kobe fast. He puts up 24ppg/5rpg/6apg. Kobe is 26ppg/5rpg/4apg.

You'd think that this would earn him some love. Sure, EVERYONE knows Joe Johnson is good. But take a look at the all star voting. He places 12th. In the Easter Conference? No. 12TH IN GUARDS IN THE EASTERN CONFERENCE. Behind Luke Ridnour, Gilbert Arenas, many more.

Is it me? Or is this ridiculous. Joe Johnson is the man.

DerekRE_3
01-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Did you not see the thread on Joe Johnson?
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309419

And all star voting doesn't mean much, he may not get voted in by the fans, but I bet the coaches pick him to be a backup.

jehovah joe
01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
all-star voting is a joke!!!!! :bs:

superkegger
01-01-2009, 07:01 PM
jj was on the all star team the past two years if i'm not mistaken. its all star voting, Yi has almost a million votes. its a joke. we are all aware.

Kabowdos
01-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm shcoked. I am seeing 0 love for Joe Johnson, the best SG in the East behind Dwyane Wade, and it isn't by much.

Honest to God, JJ is creeping up on Kobe fast. He puts up 24ppg/5rpg/6apg. Kobe is 26ppg/5rpg/4apg.

You'd think that this would earn him some love. Sure, EVERYONE knows Joe Johnson is good. But take a look at the all star voting. He places 12th. In the Easter Conference? No. 12TH IN GUARDS IN THE EASTERN CONFERENCE. Behind Luke Ridnour, Gilbert Arenas, many more.

Is it me? Or is this ridiculous. Joe Johnson is the man.

He's good, but NEVER compare him to Kobe.

ink
01-01-2009, 07:13 PM
He's good, but NEVER compare him to Kobe.

:rolleyes:

It's natural to compare to the reigning MVP. He's this year's measuring stick. JJ is having a phenomenal season.

superkegger
01-01-2009, 07:21 PM
comparing JJ to Kobe is completely legit. They play a similar style, have a similar build, and both are stud SG's

ramz.n
01-01-2009, 07:36 PM
comparing JJ to Kobe is completely legit. They play a similar style, have a similar build, and both are stud SG's

Kobe would blow him out of the water..Kobe's numbers are down because they don't need him to average 30+ pts per game with Gasol, Bynum, Odom, if you look at ATL, you have JJ, an inconsistent Smith and Williams and Mike Bibby.

JakeDelbreezy
01-01-2009, 07:49 PM
I think the fact that this thread was created and so many people replied is a clear indication that he's not all that underrated. Just b/c he's not everyone's favorite SG, whether it be in AS voting or anything else doesn't mean he's underrated. He's a great player...and I think most see him as a great player.

vinnyc1213
01-02-2009, 03:28 AM
i'd say boozer...joe johnson has been to long called the most underrated star I believe it retorts the fact he is underrated if he keeps getting recognition of it. Butler, Al Jefferson, and Gerald Wallace...I believe Josh Smith doesn't get any credit either, the Hawks just have a solid rotation that goes unnoticed