PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolution: Appreciate Chris Paul

superkegger
12-30-2008, 04:16 PM
Source: Yahoo!Sports Ball Don't Lie (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Need-a-New-Year-s-resolution-Appreciate-Chris-P;_ylt=Amp9oeAxLFU53pNL9J3JZbO8vLYF?urn=nba,131627 )

Especially when you consider the spectacle we had to endure on ABC last week: Stuart Scott and co. incessantly referring to Magic Johnson as "the greatest point guard ever," almost entirely apropos of nothing.

It's not that we disagree with the declaration. It's just that, and this is only a guess, we don't think of Magic as the insecure sort who has to be reminded of his brilliance every 12 seconds, and the shoe-horns grew more and more nauseating every time they were forced down our throats.

So, as a counter, dig this:

Magic, age 23: 16.8 points per game, 10.5 assists, 8.6 rebounds, 3.8 turnovers, 55 percent shooting, 2.2 steals, .6 blocks per game.

Chris Paul, age 23: 20.1 points per game, 11.4 assists, 5.2 rebounds, 2.9 turnovers, 50 percent shooting, three steals, .2 blocks per game.

Seems to me Paul has the edge, and would be bound to giggle on his own TV set in 2034. Magic might pull in 3.4 more rebounds per game with his nine-inch height advantage, but I'll take the 3.3 point increase, the one assist more per game, the fewer turnovers, and the increased steals.

The biggest difference you need to remember? Magic's Lakers averaged 103.8 possessions per game that season. Paul's Hornets average 87.5 possessions this year. That's over 16 more chances per game for Magic to tack on more and more stats. I know that the venerated Tom Ziller has gone over these differences in more detail and more expertly than I, but it doesn't mean it should be gone over and over in every corner possible until people wake the H up about Chris Paul.

This guy is absolutely carrying a substandard team to well over 50 wins, and it still doesn't feel as if we've seen the best of him yet. That's probably because he's 23, and we haven't.

Scary.

I for one don't appreciate the brilliance that is Chris Paul. No matter what team you're a fan of, the brand of basketball this kid plays is nothing less of spectacular, and I think we all need to take a moment and appreciate how good this kid is.

Hellcrooner
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
he is great.

better enjoy his short stint as best pg in the league.

rose will kick his *** out of the position.

and if he fails, expect jennings or rubio to do so.

JayW_1023
12-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Chris Paul is a rare talent...and he wants to be great. He is already the leagues top point guard and has yet to hit his prime.

SteveNash
12-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Magic at 23 - 2 championships
Paul at 23 - 0 championships

And Paul isn't on a substandard team.

SteveNash
12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Actually I should say 3 championships for Magic while the most notable thing Paul could do in college in nut punch someone and get suspended.

superkegger
12-30-2008, 06:30 PM

not really the point.....

SteveNash
12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
not really the point.....

The point is that Paul isn't as brilliant as Magic and that Paul is already overhyped.

Appreciate a PG like Mario Chalmers who gets hardly any love even though he's better than love. A PG that plays good defense (something Paul doesn't do), a PG that doesn't have to dominate the ball (something Paul does do). You can appreciate the team game with a player like that. Players like Paul, Nash, Rose shouldn't really be appreciated.

superkegger
12-30-2008, 06:46 PM
The point is that Paul isn't as brilliant as Magic and that Paul is already overhyped.

Appreciate a PG like Mario Chalmers who gets hardly any love even though he's better than love. A PG that plays good defense (something Paul doesn't do), a PG that doesn't have to dominate the ball (something Paul does do). You can appreciate the team game with a player like that. Players like Paul, Nash, Rose shouldn't really be appreciated.

Wow, I have no words to describe how dumb I think your post was. You lost all credibility in my eyes.

DerekRE_3
12-30-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow, I have no words to describe how dumb I think your post was. You lost all credibility in my eyes.

Once I saw Mario Chalmers' name when Chris Paul was being discussed, I stopped reading.

My take on Paul: If he gets 3 point range, it just won't be fair.

lakers4sho
12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
This guy's an idiot.

3 points difference when you have someone named Kareem and James Worthy on your team.

Vinny642
12-30-2008, 09:04 PM

Dude wtf, Im getting annoyed when people say CP3 doesnt play defense. He may not be the greatest defender at the PG position but he doesn't suck. Why should the PG dominate the ball, they mostly are the floor generals...
U FAILED

Iodine
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Once I saw Mario Chalmers' name when Chris Paul was being discussed, I stopped reading.

Paul has 3point range he just dosnt want to pwn the league to hard

Yes clearly paul is a horrible player that shouldnt get any love when compared to THE GREAT MARIO CHALMERZ!!!!!!!!

This thread started out great then went to ****

superkegger
12-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Paul has 3point range he just dosnt want to pwn the league to hard

Yes clearly paul is a horrible player that shouldnt get any love when compared to THE GREAT MARIO CHALMERZ!!!!!!!!

This thread started out great then went to ****

well to be fair Chalmers is leading his team in....umm...fouls per game, there we go. Not many rookies will do that for their team. I mean he's averaging 10 and 5, thats like sebastian telfair like, give him his dues. I mean the Heat are 16-14 for Christ sake, they're awesome!!

Iodine
12-30-2008, 09:39 PM
and he works hard for that amazing per

DerekRE_3
12-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Chalmers put up MVP numbers for my sim league team....

http://sexysimleague.we.bs/html/players/player184.htm

So since he put up 22 and 10 in a sim league, I have to assume he's doing it in real life.

SteveNash
12-31-2008, 05:19 AM

Uh, never said Chalmers was better than Paul. All I was saying was that if you want a New Years resolution to appreciate a player, why would you make it Paul who was second in MVP voting? Did you just not watch the NBA all last year or what?

The point was that Chalmers was being under appreciated while Paul is not.

Dude wtf, Im getting annoyed when people say CP3 doesnt play defense. He may not be the greatest defender at the PG position but he doesn't suck. Why should the PG dominate the ball, they mostly are the floor generals...
U FAILED

He's a terrible defender and because of his size, he'll never be good. Yes, he does suck on defense, the only thing he has defensively that most players do not, is the ability to get away with fouls.

Exactly, why should the PG dominate the ball, they are floor generals. Meaning they should bring the ball up the court and run the offense. Not dribble the ball around until they can get an assists. Having a PG dominating the ball will eventually kill Paul in the playoffs the same way it's killed Nash in the playoffs. Paul should look to his superior Deron Williams to play in a more balanced style, and that's why Deron has had more success.

and he works hard for that amazing per

PGs that had PER similar to Mario's their rookie year:
Tiny Archibald (Hall of Fame) .9 higher
Joe Dumars (Hall of Fame) .1 lower
John Stockton (Future Hall of Famer) .2 higher
Gary Payton (Future Hall of Famer) .1 higher
Maurice Cheeks .5 lower
Tony Parker 1.4 lower

:rolleyes:

Of course anyone judging players based on PER doesn't know much about basketball.

innovator
12-31-2008, 05:36 AM
^because chalmers doesnt deserve our appreciation right now. and why in the hell are you comparing chalmers with tiny,dumars,stockton,payton,cheeks and parker?????

DerekRE_3
12-31-2008, 06:04 AM
Uh, never said Chalmers was better than Paul. All I was saying was that if you want a New Years resolution to appreciate a player, why would you make it Paul who was second in MVP voting? Did you just not watch the NBA all last year or what?

That's weird, I was unaware that I started this thread. All I said was that if CP3 gets 3 point range, he will be pretty much unguardable.

SteveNash
12-31-2008, 09:05 AM
^because chalmers doesnt deserve our appreciation right now. and why in the hell are you comparing chalmers with tiny,dumars,stockton,payton,cheeks and parker?????

Chalmers deserves more appreciation than he's receiving right now and Paul deserves less appreciation than he's receiving right now and that's the point.

I compared Chalmers to those players because apparently Chalmers PER is crap.

That's weird, I was unaware that I started this thread. All I said was that if CP3 gets 3 point range, he will be pretty much unguardable.

Missing the point entirely. Then again weren't you the one arguing about how great Spencer Hawes is? Also, there's been plenty of players who have developed three point range just for it to backfire and end up as a detriment to their game.

DerekRE_3
12-31-2008, 03:46 PM
What is your point? And you are arguing with me over things that I didn't say. And I'd really like to know how being a good 3 point shooter is going to hurt Chris Paul. And I never said Spencer Hawes was great, I said he had great fundamentals and had a lot of talent for a 20 year old Center. Most young Centers (see DeAndre Jordan, Alexis Ajinca, Tyson Chandler when he first came into the league) are very raw.

You are confusing the word appreciate with underhyped. All the thread starter was saying was that Chris Paul is a great player, how can you argue against that? Not sure where Mario Chalmers fits into this, other than the fact that he is a young point guard, and the only reason why he's playing is because the Heat have nobody else to put there at point guard.

ramz.n
12-31-2008, 03:54 PM

i agree, wow i have nothing else to say, i feel stupider reading the post that said Paul was over hyped...and championships..plz, Magic had a stack team, Paul has a good team but did Magic ever play agaisnt a competitive Conference like Paul is right now, even with 50 wins your not guaranteed a playoff spot:p

Mane
12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
The point of this thread is that Mario Chalmers sucks and you should shut your mouth.

Iodine
12-31-2008, 04:00 PM
What is your point? And you are arguing with me over things that I didn't say. And I'd really like to know how being a good 3 point shooter is going to hurt Chris Paul. And I never said Spencer Hawes was great, I said he had great fundamentals and had a lot of talent for a 20 year old Center. Most young Centers (see DeAndre Jordan, Alexis Ajinca, Tyson Chandler when he first came into the league) are very raw.

You are confusing the word appreciate with underhyped. All the thread starter was saying was that Chris Paul is a great player, how can you argue against that? Not sure where Mario Chalmers fits into this, other than the fact that he is a young point guard, and the only reason why he's playing is because the Heat have nobody else to put there at point guard.

Lol look at derek trying to be intelligent in the NBA forum
what is this 2006?

DerekRE_3
12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
Lol look at derek trying to be intelligent in the NBA forum
what is this 2006?

Haha guess it's time to go back to the Spurs Off Topic Thread.

Iodine
12-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Haha guess it's time to go back to the Spurs Off Topic Thread.

Damn straight

Where else can we make fun of Josh?

superkegger
12-31-2008, 04:03 PM
Damn straight

Where else can we make fun of Josh?

pretty much anywhere actually....

Iodine
12-31-2008, 04:05 PM
where else will he see it though?

superkegger
12-31-2008, 04:08 PM
where else will he see it though?

you'd be surprised, I rip him in a lot of places and he tends to find it.

Iodine
12-31-2008, 04:10 PM
does he just search "josh fails" whenever he logs in?

Vinny642
12-31-2008, 04:11 PM

The point was that Chalmers was being under appreciated while Paul is not.

He's a terrible defender and because of his size, he'll never be good. Yes, he does suck on defense, the only thing he has defensively that most players do not, is the ability to get away with fouls.

Exactly, why should the PG dominate the ball, they are floor generals. Meaning they should bring the ball up the court and run the offense. Not dribble the ball around until they can get an assists. Having a PG dominating the ball will eventually kill Paul in the playoffs the same way it's killed Nash in the playoffs. Paul should look to his superior Deron Williams to play in a more balanced style, and that's why Deron has had more success.

PGs that had PER similar to Mario's their rookie year:
Tiny Archibald (Hall of Fame) .9 higher
Joe Dumars (Hall of Fame) .1 lower
John Stockton (Future Hall of Famer) .2 higher
Gary Payton (Future Hall of Famer) .1 higher
Maurice Cheeks .5 lower
Tony Parker 1.4 lower

:rolleyes:

Of course anyone judging players based on PER doesn't know much about basketball.

1. Stop overrating Chalmers, he went against CP3 already and failed.
2. I know what happened with CP3 and Deron, but you can say CP3 is better because they only play at most 4 games a year against each other, the other 78 games CP3 is better.
3. Your not gonna win this CP3 vs Chalmers argument, sit down, especially when you compare Chalmers to Parker, Stockton, Payton.
Like I said before , man you failed.

superkegger
12-31-2008, 04:23 PM
does he just search "josh fails" whenever he logs in?

probably.

Iodine
12-31-2008, 04:25 PM
He has no self esteem

SteveNash
12-31-2008, 09:15 PM

Who cares if he has great fundamentals if he's soft as hell. As a King fan you should known about Chris Webbers history who was a lot more talented and fundamentally sound coming into the league than Hawes was. Those guys were picked because they were seen as having some upside, Hawes is about as good as he's ever going to get he should be compared to a Kosta Koufos, not Jordan, Ajinca, or Chandler).

The thread is useless unless the thread creator really didn't watch much basketball. It's like saying hmm, I never knew Kobe, LeBron, Jordan, Wilt, whoever was so good I should start to appreciate him. And that's what I was getting at.

i agree, wow i have nothing else to say, i feel stupider reading the post that said Paul was over hyped...and championships..plz, Magic had a stack team, Paul has a good team but did Magic ever play agaisnt a competitive Conference like Paul is right now, even with 50 wins your not guaranteed a playoff spot:p

Magic didn't need Jannero Pargo to keep his team into a deciding semifinal game.

Magic didn't play in a weaker league with expansion teams diluting the talent level.

1. Stop overrating Chalmers, he went against CP3 already and failed.
2. I know what happened with CP3 and Deron, but you can say CP3 is better because they only play at most 4 games a year against each other, the other 78 games CP3 is better.
3. Your not gonna win this CP3 vs Chalmers argument, sit down, especially when you compare Chalmers to Parker, Stockton, Payton.
Like I said before , man you failed.

When did I ever say he was going to shut down Paul?

The other 78 games Paul might be better (debatable) then the playoffs come and Deron >>> Paul (not debatable).

I never said Mario was a better player than Paul. Mario does somethings better than Paul (like playing much better defense), but overall Paul is better.

Comparing Chalmers to Parker, Stockton, Payton, etc. wasn't because I thought they were actually comparable (all 3 players played differently anyway) I was just proving the using PER as an argument was stupid.

Vinny642
01-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Who cares if he has great fundamentals if he's soft as hell. As a King fan you should known about Chris Webbers history who was a lot more talented and fundamentally sound coming into the league than Hawes was. Those guys were picked because they were seen as having some upside, Hawes is about as good as he's ever going to get he should be compared to a Kosta Koufos, not Jordan, Ajinca, or Chandler).

The thread is useless unless the thread creator really didn't watch much basketball. It's like saying hmm, I never knew Kobe, LeBron, Jordan, Wilt, whoever was so good I should start to appreciate him. And that's what I was getting at.

Magic didn't need Jannero Pargo to keep his team into a deciding semifinal game.

Magic didn't play in a weaker league with expansion teams diluting the talent level.

When did I ever say he was going to shut down Paul?

The other 78 games Paul might be better (debatable) then the playoffs come and Deron >>> Paul (not debatable).

I never said Mario was a better player than Paul. Mario does somethings better than Paul (like playing much better defense), but overall Paul is better.

Comparing Chalmers to Parker, Stockton, Payton, etc. wasn't because I thought they were actually comparable (all 3 players played differently anyway) I was just proving the using PER as an argument was stupid.

Paul vs D Williams in the playoffs is very debatable, I actually pick Paul in the playoffs over DWill, because Paul up'ed his game and played great. It took Paul 1 try to get where DWill was.

jimbobjarree
01-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Paul vs D Williams in the playoffs is very debatable, I actually pick Paul in the playoffs over DWill, because Paul up'ed his game and played great. It took Paul 1 try to get where DWill was.

I am 100% not scared of your Hornets in the playoffs, I just think we play too rough for your guys to win, and Deron becomes really agressive when playing Paul...which leads Pual to spending some quality time with the bench.

nah, I'm more worried about the Spurs tbh

ohh, and I dont see Paul in the WCF in 1 try as a starter?

Vinny642
01-01-2009, 02:31 AM
I am 100% not scared of your Hornets in the playoffs, I just think we play too rough for your guys to win, and Deron becomes really agressive when playing Paul...which leads Pual to spending some quality time with the bench.

nah, I'm more worried about the Spurs tbh

ohh, and I dont see Paul in the WCF in 1 try as a starter?

Dude STFU ur a Jazz fan, the other 99.9% of the league would be scared of Paul just like people can say they aren't scared of Lebron and Kobe but they know damn well that Lebron and Kobe would sh** on any team. Refs call so many b**ch fouls when we versus the Jazz. But whatever, I agree that Williams is the second best PG in the league, the Jazz are a really good team, except I hate Boozer (I know you do too) But saying you wouldn't be scared of us in the playoffs is stupid, we took the Spurs to 7 Games last year. You guys aren't as good as Spurs on the road, so in that 7th game i think we'd win.

Joshtd1
01-01-2009, 05:28 AM
you'd be surprised, I rip him in a lot of places and he tends to find it.

Found it :pity:

superkegger
01-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Found it :pity:

i knew you would. gotta give the new mod a hard time right?

Hellcrooner
01-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Comparing Paul to the only EFFECTIVE 6,9 point guard EVER is a loss of time.

BALLER71
01-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Deron Williams > Chris Paul.
And Vinny get off Paul's dick man.

lakers4sho
01-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Comparing Paul to the only EFFECTIVE 6,9 point guard EVER is a loss of time.

pretty much sums it up right there

THE MTL
01-01-2009, 06:20 PM

PLEASE SHUT UP! SHUT UP! You have no credibility at all. MOST ******** POST EVER!

THE MTL
01-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I CANT BELIEVE the people who are commenting this forum. We have AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT arguing over Mario Chalmers. We have a stupid Jazz fan who says Deron is better than Paul. We have ignorant Bulls fans saying D.Rose will be better than Paul. People saying Jenning or Rubio.

CHRIS PAUL probi will go down as one of the best point guards ever. I think he will go down as the best little man to ever play the game. Right now its between Allen Iverson, Isiah Thomas, Nate Archibald, and Chris Paul.

And Chris Paul team isnt all that great. Paul made David West into an allstar and Tyson Chandler is a bum this season.

ramz.n
01-01-2009, 06:31 PM
i love Chris Paul and Deron Williams, in a best of 7 series the Hornets would sweep the Jazz (PERIOD) , Chris Paul and Deron Williams would be the only decent matchup..do you really think anyone on the Jazz can defend David West, and Okur is to soft and slow to stay with Chandler, and what more can you say about Peja..hes $

PRETTY BIRD!
01-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Source: Yahoo!Sports Ball Don't Lie (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Need-a-New-Year-s-resolution-Appreciate-Chris-P;_ylt=Amp9oeAxLFU53pNL9J3JZbO8vLYF?urn=nba,131627 )

I for one don't appreciate the brilliance that is Chris Paul. No matter what team you're a fan of, the brand of basketball this kid plays is nothing less of spectacular, and I think we all need to take a moment and appreciate how good this kid is.

I dont have to do anything...specialy appreciate a guy who's not even the best in the nba......what has the guy done worthy of random appreciation?as a matter of fact, i think this is the most random thread i ever seen!

THE MTL
01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
I dont have to do anything...specialy appreciate a guy who's not even the best in the nba......what has the guy done worthy of random appreciation?as a matter of fact, i think this is the most random thread i ever seen!

Lets see, 21ppg and 11.5apg. 20-10 hasnt been done in over TWENTY YEARS.

PRETTY BIRD!
01-01-2009, 07:09 PM

AGAIN! most random thread i ever seen!

jimbobjarree
01-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Dude STFU ur a Jazz fan, the other 99.9% of the league would be scared of Paul just like people can say they aren't scared of Lebron and Kobe but they know damn well that Lebron and Kobe would sh** on any team. Refs call so many b**ch fouls when we versus the Jazz. But whatever, I agree that Williams is the second best PG in the league, the Jazz are a really good team, except I hate Boozer (I know you do too) But saying you wouldn't be scared of us in the playoffs is stupid, we took the Spurs to 7 Games last year. You guys aren't as good as Spurs on the road, so in that 7th game i think we'd win.

I seriosuly wouldnt be worried one bit if we faced you in the playoffs, I'd be more confident than anything.

jimbobjarree
01-01-2009, 08:18 PM

lol hero comment

Vinny642
01-01-2009, 09:54 PM

Well thats shows how much u know about CP3 and Dwill, you with your dumb comments, are you just mad that your Heat(no offense to other heat fans but this guy is annoying) can't touch our Hornets, Why do u stick up for DWIll when I say CP3 is the Best PG, he not on your team and most likely will never be on your team. Thats why people had to compare if DWill is still better then Derrick Rose.

Vinny642
01-01-2009, 09:56 PM
I seriosuly wouldnt be worried one bit if we faced you in the playoffs, I'd be more confident than anything.

Well thats a false emotion then, because deep in your heart you know dam well CP3 will make your season END.

THE MTL
01-01-2009, 09:59 PM
You know if there was a trade Deron Williams for Chris Paul. I BET every Hornets Fan would be pissed off and every Jazz fan would be souped as ever.

Vinny642
01-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd be pissed as sh**, I like Deron, but he can't make our team better like CP3.
I can't imagine Dwill and DWest being good together.

lakers4sho
01-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Fully healthy though I'll pick Jazz over the Hornets. They have a deep bench with AK47 and other guys while Hornets have no bench beyond James Posey. They have experience, they've been there, and they're my 2nd pick to win the West after my Lakers. Again, when fully healthy.

cHi8DaL5LA420
01-01-2009, 10:09 PM

magic is magic though lol... one of the best... paul is an excellent player but i dont believe he is gonna go down as one of the best.. nice little comparison though i like that

Vinny642
01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Fully healthy though I'll pick Jazz over the Hornets. They have a deep bench with AK47 and other guys while Hornets have no bench beyond James Posey. They have experience, they've been there, and they're my 2nd pick to win the West after my Lakers. Again, when fully healthy.

The Jazz are a tough team,Id pick Hornets but im a Hornets fan but the Jazz are having an unhealthy year right now. they better hope they are healthy come playoff time.

lakers4sho
01-01-2009, 10:16 PM
But you can argue CP3 and D-Will for both sides. They play a little bit differently so you really can't compare the two of them.

They both get the job done, though.

Vinny642
01-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Ha nice sig, tho I can't stand KG, but what you said I agree with it.

lakers4sho
01-01-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm just wondering, how the hell did Mario Chalmers get into the conversation? :confused:

I'm too lazy to go back and read.

SteveNash
01-02-2009, 01:09 AM

It took Paul an extra year to get into the playoffs. When Paul finally got there, he couldn't get as far as Deron.

No one is scared of Chris Paul because he isn't a proven winner like LeBron and Kobe.

Done by Tim Hardaway, and I don't see anyone saying he's so great and should be appreciated.

lakers4sho
01-02-2009, 01:16 AM
No one is scared of Chris Paul because he isn't a proven winner like LeBron and Kobe..

Unfortunately, I have to disagree.

SteveNash
01-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Unfortunately, I have to disagree.

That Kobe isn't a winner? I know he hasn't done much without Shaq, and has had to have a loaded team to win without him. But Kobe's game is just so much more advanced than Pauls is.

lakers4sho
01-02-2009, 01:29 AM
No one is scared of Paul? Are you sure about that? Have you asked any players who played against him?

SteveNash
01-02-2009, 01:38 AM
No one is scared of Paul? Are you sure about that? Have you asked any players who played against him?

I asked Derek Fisher and he said no.

Vinny642
01-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Paul isn't a proven winner, WTF. I forgot Deron Williams is, I know why your mad because Chris Paul scored 40 on the Suns and swept you guys. Your mad that your two scorers never heard of the word defense.

jimbobjarree
01-02-2009, 10:03 AM
Paul isn't a proven winner, WTF. I forgot Deron Williams is, I know why your mad because Chris Paul scored 40 on the Suns and swept you guys. Your mad that your two scorers never heard of the word defense.

you are forgiven for forgetting that Deron is a proven winner.

and no false emotion, I'd be pretty confident that we could take you in 5 maybe 6 games, and pretty confident we'll take you next week even with all our injuries :)

nygiants242
01-02-2009, 10:13 AM
People are saying hes the best PG in the NBA, one of the best or arguably best player in the league, that he's better than Magic...

Seems to me like he's getting enough appreciation. :shrug:

codes238
01-02-2009, 10:16 AM

paul has one pretty good player in david west and a bunch of mediocre role players... magic had hall of famers like kareem and james worthy... cant really compare those supporting casts... cant really get mad at you though since youre either 6 years old or have absolutely no idea what youre talking about... im not saying that paul is better than magic but he is insanely good and by far the best point guard of this current generation...

codes238
01-02-2009, 10:21 AM
You know if there was a trade Deron Williams for Chris Paul. I BET every Hornets Fan would be pissed off and every Jazz fan would be souped as ever.

exactly, deron is a sick player and probably the second best point guard in the game today but paul has a chance to go down as an all-time great... by the way i know your team sacrificed the next 2 seasons in the hope of possibly landing lebron but you dont have to get all homoerotic on us and post shirtless LBJ pics in your sig, thanks

SteveNash
01-02-2009, 04:13 PM

You become a winner in the playoffs.

paul has one pretty good player in david west and a bunch of mediocre role players... magic had hall of famers like kareem and james worthy... cant really compare those supporting casts... cant really get mad at you though since youre either 6 years old or have absolutely no idea what youre talking about... im not saying that paul is better than magic but he is insanely good and by far the best point guard of this current generation...

Magic won without Kareem for his first NBA championship. Won his NCAA championship where his second best player was Greg Kelser (decent player but not some all time great). Won his third championship without Worthy and lets not forget that Kareem didn't do crap in LA until Magic got their.

Chris Paul has a lot to catch up before he can even claim to be the best PG drafted in 05.

jimbobjarree
01-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Deron v CP3 tonight....should be interesting Vinny ole pal

Vinny642
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Can't wait

LD V2.0
01-07-2009, 02:20 PM

The problem is that greatness isn't only measured on stats. Magic played all five positions at times, he could guard anybody. He has a bunch of rings to boot.

SteveNash
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
The problem is that greatness isn't only measured on stats. Magic played all five positions at times, he could guard anybody. He has a bunch of rings to boot.

See this is just the kind of nonsense people are saying about Paul now.

Ask anyone, ANYONE who actually knew anything about basketball and watched Magic and the Lakers play. Magic could definitely not guard anyone.

Lakersfan2483
01-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Great point guard, the best in the league by far.

Vinny642
01-08-2009, 12:04 AM
Well the Jazz win but Paul dominated Deron Williams in their first game, the game isn't officially over but Jazz up by 20, the Hornets lost the lead in the 2nd quarter and couldn't pick it up.

CP3- 26pnts 7 assists

D Will- 8 pnts and 8 assists

SteveNash
01-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Injured Deron proving he's better than a healthy Paul.

Lebron23
01-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Best Pg in the NBA

Vinny642
01-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Injured Deron proving he's better than health Paul.

^^ WTF No he didn't, he did bad. Chris Paul crapped all over Deron Williams yesterday. We lost because David West scored like 11 in the 1st half and then he went COLD from everywhere and everybody else did horrible too. But i hope you seen Danny Granger beat you guys

SteveNash
01-08-2009, 08:41 AM
^^ WTF No he didn't, he did bad. Chris Paul crapped all over Deron Williams yesterday. We lost because David West scored like 11 in the 1st half and then he went COLD from everywhere and everybody else did horrible too. But i hope you seen Danny Granger beat you guys

Deron makes players better. He doesn't dominate the ball trying to play pick and roll basketball all game long to inflate his states. Deron blows out Paul's team by 26.

Update Head to Head:

Deron 9 Wins, 16 PPG, 3 RPG, 8 APG, 53% FG%
Paul 2 Wins, 15 PPG, 2 RPG, 9 APG, 38% FG%

Dominatation.

Like I said, Chris Paul, not a proven winner.

Vinny642
01-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Head to Head comparisons take the wins catergory out.

Paul clearly had a way better game yesterday but all the other people from the Hornets weren't doing good. Deron Williams didn't prove that he is a proven winner at all yesterday. he didn't score over 10.... and he is supposed to be the 2nd best PG. The reason the Jazz won isn't Williams, everybody else stepped up.

jimbobjarree
01-08-2009, 02:49 PM

Paul clearly had a way better game yesterday but all the other people from the Hornets weren't doing good. Deron Williams didn't prove that he is a proven winner at all yesterday. he didn't score over 10.... and he is supposed to be the 2nd best PG. The reason the Jazz won isn't Williams, everybody else stepped up.

haha you got absolutely bullied, it was a complete blowout in every facet of the stat sheet, it was crazy. Millsap raped West and Chandler completely, they looked like 2 schoolgirls on the boards v Millsap. Williams still has a bum ankle and had the flu...and you still couldn't beat us...without Boozer, but granted it was the second night of a back to back. I really dont see the Hornets as a threat to us in the playoffs, they just arent tough enough, and they truelly suck in Salt Lake.

and I was happy with Paul's game, he had to hit a few 3s and tough shots, and was forced to carry the team on offense which sucked for him, we made him earn his points, whereas Deron got inside and penetrated alot more and had what seemed to be a relaxing night....Paul again didnt play the 4th quarter, I dont think I remember a time where his team have still been in the game in the 4th.

DrDEADalready
01-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Okay take the win catagory out. And look at the stats. Williams is better than Paul every time they play eachother in all the times they played eachother. look at that field goal percentage. he makes a little over half the shots he puts up. Paul is 38%fg. meaning he has to shoot the way more to even get his 15ppg. that right there show's for one whos the better defender as well.

Plus last nights game. don't mean jack stat wise comparing the two.
1. Deron still not 100% from his injury 2. was battling the Flu. 3. He only shot 7 times. williams 3/7 paul was 10/18. half of derons shots were shots he wouldnt have taken. but had too because the Shot clock was running out. so know your stuff before you post man. Paul is not as good as you think he is

Vinny642
01-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Okay take the win catagory out. And look at the stats. Williams is better than Paul every time they play eachother in all the times they played eachother. look at that field goal percentage. he makes a little over half the shots he puts up. Paul is 38%fg. meaning he has to shoot the way more to even get his 15ppg. that right there show's for one whos the better defender as well.

Plus last nights game. don't mean jack stat wise comparing the two.
1. Deron still not 100% from his injury 2. was battling the Flu. 3. He only shot 7 times. williams 3/7 paul was 10/18. half of derons shots were shots he wouldnt have taken. but had too because the Shot clock was running out. so know your stuff before you post man. Paul is not as good as you think he is

No excuses, WTF if he had the flu he shouldn't have played. He got crapped on by Paul, Paul is better. Two road back to back games are hard especially when you play the Lakers and Jazz... but the Jazz won't beat us in New Orleans when we aren't on a back to back.

jimbobjarree
01-08-2009, 04:03 PM
^I doubt it, we can win on your floor, you just dont have enough physicality in your team to threaten us, I hope we get you in the playoffs, I'm pretty sure it will be a 4-1 maybe 4-2 to the Jazz.

USMCLaker
01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
I CANT BELIEVE the people who are commenting this forum. We have AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT arguing over Mario Chalmers. We have a stupid Jazz fan who says Deron is better than Paul. We have ignorant Bulls fans saying D.Rose will be better than Paul. People saying Jenning or Rubio.

CHRIS PAUL probi will go down as one of the best point guards ever. I think he will go down as the best little man to ever play the game. Right now its between Allen Iverson, Isiah Thomas, Nate Archibald, and Chris Paul.

And Chris Paul team isnt all that great. Paul made David West into an allstar and Tyson Chandler is a bum this season.

Haha.

jimbobjarree
01-08-2009, 04:19 PM
^I dont think I ever said D Will was better than Paul, just said I dont fear him or the Hornets, and last night proved me right.

DerekRE_3
01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
No excuses, WTF if he had the flu he shouldn't have played. He got crapped on by Paul, Paul is better. Two road back to back games are hard especially when you play the Lakers and Jazz... but the Jazz won't beat us in New Orleans when we aren't on a back to back.

This shouldn't be about the Chris Paul/Deron Williams debate. You should focus on the fact your team got Mill-Slapped. Ohhhh danggggg. :smoking:

USMCLaker
01-08-2009, 04:33 PM

Your right that the Western Conference is competitive however, it's not because the league is more competitive right now actually it's the opposite. The top nine teams in the west is just able to capitalize on the weaker teams in the Eastern Conference and lower Western Conference because there are a lot more teams in the league now than there were in the 80's.

Basketball in the 80's was some of the best ball ever played, (man I miss it). The level of talent was far superior than today and that's not a knock on today's players. The players today are more athletic and are fun to watch but the talent is not the same. One example how many times do see players today block a shot into the fourth row instead of pulling it down and running a fast break.

Who wouldn't love to have Chris Paul on their team, he is on his way to a Hall of Fame career however, he is not better than Magic, not even close. Magic is by far and away the greatest point guard that ever played in the league to date. I would love to hear what Byron Scott would have to say about this discussion having played with Magic and now coaching CP3 I think that is all you would have to know.

Besides Magic didn't just win Championships in the league he also won in college beating the legendary Larry Bird. I could go on all day about this but I leave this for others to debate.

As far as the stats go now stats don't tell the whole story now do they.

DrDEADalready
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
This shouldn't be about the Chris Paul/Deron Williams debate. You should focus on the fact your team got Mill-Slapped. Ohhhh danggggg. :smoking:

Lol. That made me laugh. Mill-slapped I like that. i'm going to use that from now on is that cool?

jimbobjarree
01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Lol. That made me laugh. Mill-slapped I like that. i'm going to use that from now on is that cool?

yeah its only Derek...kudos derek, thats suprisingly good for you

Vinny642
01-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Im sure playing the Lakers the night before with DWest 41 Minutes and TC's 38 Minutes(I think im not entirely sure on Chandlers) had nothing to do with why they didn't play great yesterday though. Big men playing 40+ Minutes against a great team then going to another away game were this team is great... it shouldn't happen but it did. But Paul still did his thing, and saying Deron Williams led his team yesterday is ignorant.

Vinny642
01-09-2009, 12:27 AM
Oh I just made a Cp3 Dwill thread in comparisons forum. So you should go there and speak your opinion.