PDA

View Full Version : Rockets sign Mutombo

JordansBulls
12-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6187183.html)

The Rockets reached an agreement with veteran center Dikembe Mutombo on Tuesday, Rockets GM Daryl Morey said.

Mutombo was signed for the remainder of the season at a pro-rated veteran's minimum contract.

NYKnickFanatic
12-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Serious Championship contenders now. :clap:

_Sn1P3r_
12-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Nice, Deke comes back to H-town.

lakers4sho
12-30-2008, 04:17 PM
good for the Rockets. I had a hunch Mutombo wouldn't sign with any other team.

superkegger
12-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Unsurprising, especially after shipping out francis. It helps, but I don't see deke as the difference between a championship and an earlier playoff exit.

Hellcrooner
12-30-2008, 04:29 PM
not a difference maker, unless ming goes down.

sugarrayray
12-30-2008, 04:33 PM
celtics coulda really used him come playoff time

Joshtd1
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
So much for "Celtics or Spurs". Good for the Rox though.

Frrrrank!!!
12-30-2008, 04:47 PM
had a feeling he was only gonna go to the rockets.

JordansBulls
12-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Deke is the final piece to the puzzle for the Rockets.

Hellcrooner
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
^have they already found a over average Pg? or a over average proper Pf?

or some magical purple ray to heal ming and t-macs?

then he is not the missing piece.

Missing link? maybe-....

RelaxedFan
12-30-2008, 04:52 PM
The Rockets have to have one of the best benches in the league:
C- Mutombo
PF- Landry
SF- Artest
SG- Barry
PG- Brooks

Three of those five would be starting on some teams (Brooks, Landry, and Artest)

superkegger
12-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Deke is the final piece to the puzzle for the Rockets.

For what, the second round? Deke doesn't make the difference between a championship and not.

SC1211
12-30-2008, 05:24 PM

Missing link? maybe-....

You do realize that the Scola/Landry is one of the best PF combinations in the NBA, right? Also, Fisher/Farmer < Alston/Brooks

pippsux
12-30-2008, 05:29 PM
This is good news. The team right now is lacking true leadership and a backup for Yao.

Hellcrooner
12-30-2008, 05:29 PM
scola and landry are both ok pf but under par when you are going to meet, boozer, pau, stoud, duncan.

alston may be good on the street but this thing is played on the court.

And yes lakers should REALLY try to add a btter pg.

D-Amazins
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
]^have they already found a over average Pg? or a over average proper Pf?[/B]

Missing link? maybe-....

You dont need superstars at every position to win a championship.
Example Leon Powe of the Celtics and Rondo LAST year.

So an example for you would be Scola & Alston/Brooks. Am I not correct?

Thank You. :D

Hellcrooner
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
^yeah but do you realize that Kg is better than Ming pierce better thanTmac and Allen better than Artest?

JordansBulls
12-30-2008, 05:37 PM
For what, the second round? Deke doesn't make the difference between a championship and not.

NBA Title.

Even Kenny Smith mentioned he expects the Rockets to beat Boston in the finals this year.

#1Mavericksfan
12-30-2008, 05:39 PM
The Rockets are deep now...I'm just happy Mutombo didn't sign with the Spurs or Celtics.

JRisdabest
12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
lol:confused:;)

Hellcrooner
12-30-2008, 05:42 PM
mm that same kenny sjmith that wons some rings on the rockets?

Homer much?

goku
12-30-2008, 05:47 PM
he will bring leadership to the team and a back-up center that they have lacked this season

D-Amazins
12-30-2008, 06:03 PM
^yeah but do you realize that Kg is better than Ming pierce better thanTmac and Allen better than Artest?

Garnett and Pierce may be better then Ming & T-Mac but im sorry if you ask me who i'd rather have on my team between Allen or Artest i think its Artest.

And like I said earlier you don't need superstars on every position so it does not matter that you stated who's better between the teams, The Rockets don't need to upgrade to win a championship which is what you were trying to imply and were flat out WRONG.

Last time, you don't need superstars at each position which was my point so please do not come back with another "hes better then this guy" argument. It's irrelevant.

fredv
12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
or a over average proper Pf?

Ever heard of Scolandry?
The Rockets have the Best PF Tandem in the League. Check out 82games.com

Big Quett
12-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Garnett and Pierce may be better then Ming & T-Mac but im sorry if you ask me who i'd rather have on my team between Allen or Artest i think its Artest.

And like I said earlier you don't need superstars on every position so it does not matter that you stated who's better between the teams, The Rockets don't need to upgrade to win a championship which is what you were trying to imply and were flat out WRONG.

Last time, you don't need superstars at each position which was my point so please do not come back with another "hes better then this guy" argument. It's irrelevant.

Yeah agreed. Because everybody knows Kobe is better than Pierce. Maybe even the best player in the league. But who won the ring last year?

fredv
12-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Just check out the link and zip-it. The Rockets needed that guy in the locker room, Tmac & Yao have been beggining for him to come back!

KB24PG16
12-30-2008, 06:39 PM
i thought he was supposed to be on the celtics or the spurs

superkegger
12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
NBA Title.

Even Kenny Smith mentioned he expects the Rockets to beat Boston in the finals this year.

So?

Most analysts picked the Lakers over the Celtics in last years NBA finals, so that means nothing.

ROCKETMAN34
12-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Gald to see Deke on his way bacl. We needed him in a huge way. When Yao hits the bench teams just go to the basket with ease. Now everyone knows when you go to lane you just might catch an elbow to the chest or face. And he will get a few blocks here and there. So that will be the a huge help for us. We still need to get everyone (T-MAC) healthy and have some heart. God we sucked so bad against the Wizards. 5-26 team and they pushed us around like school girls. Just sad from what we wee expecting at the start of the season. Just glad it now and not at the end of the year.

MooseWithFleas
12-30-2008, 06:53 PM
Good signing. Mutombo may be 92, but he will always be over 7 foot and he will always have that excellent timing on his block attempts. He can be very useful for 10 mpg

JOSETHEALLSTAR
12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
this is great news for the rockets

JordansBulls
12-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Good signing. Mutombo may be 92, but he will always be over 7 foot and he will always have that excellent timing on his block attempts. He can be very useful for 10 mpg

:laugh2:

Greg Oden may be older. :p

Lakersho
12-30-2008, 08:19 PM
celtics needed zeke, i like zekes style

lakers4sho
12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Ever heard of Scolandry?
The Rockets have the Best PF Tandem in the League. Check out 82games.com

I guess not everyone has heard of Pau Gasol/Lamar Odom :shrug:

da wood
12-30-2008, 08:56 PM
yeah i think i would take that tadom over the rockets tandom and i'm not sure that that tandom one alston and brooks are better than fish and farmar have you been seeing fish light it up lately

TMAC94
12-30-2008, 09:10 PM
with deke we can have someone who can block shots, geez i hate yao

astrosmaniac
12-30-2008, 09:27 PM

Missing link? maybe-....

if adleman would start brooks, then yes we would. brooks would be an above average PG if he got starters minutes and scola and landry together are better than any other PF combo in the league. and yao has been healthy all year

Reyes6
12-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Expect my Rockets forum activity to skyrocket!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::D:D:D

Mutombo just turned them from a top 5 seed in the west to a definite top 5 team in the league.

FOBolous
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
the Rockets have a very solid starting 5 and a very solid bench. all they need to do now is gel and find some chemistry with each other...and i think that's why we've been losing lately...our lineup is so inconsistant it's not even funny. Tmac's always injured...Brent Barry's injured...Alston's been injured...Battier's in and out...Artest is in and out...blah. It seems like every player who comes to Houston becomes injury prone...even if they weren't injury prone before.

x_notorious
12-31-2008, 01:21 PM
This is a solid signing and Rockets and all but he is not their 'final piece'.

Let's be realistic here, we don't even know what Mutombo has left in him. He's good for a few blocks and 3-5 rebounds per game. Let's see what he can do first before we can proclaim someone champion here because the Rockets signed a 42 old back-up center. :laugh2:

LeBrowns
12-31-2008, 03:21 PM
guess he wants to wait til next year for another shot at a ring...