PDA

View Full Version : ESPN - Week 9 Power Rankings

JordansBulls
12-29-2008, 01:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking

1 (3) Lakers 25-5 Adande's theory about the Lakers being up-and-down in December after such a dominant November because they couldn't get excited about anything other than the Boston game . . . they sure made him look good.
2 (1) Celtics 28-4 Sorry. Don't want to hear how dangerous that game in Oaktown supposedly was. Even the previously irresistible Celts can't avoid a drop after blowing a big lead to a team at the top of the Disarray Rankings.
3 (2) Cavaliers 26-4 You know how we say that sometimes teams drop a spot or two because they've been leapfrogged and not because they did much wrong? For the Cavs, with one loss in their last 26 games, this is one of those times.
4 (4) Magic 24-6 We're asked all the time: When will the ever-improving Magic, now 24-4 since an 0-2 start, be seen as an elite team? Realistic answer: It'll probably take playoff success against Cleveland or Boston, like it or not.
5 (6) Spurs 20-10 Clutch as they've been in double-overtime games -- up to 3-0 now after another escape Saturday against Memphis -- you can safely assume that the oldest team in the league would rather avoid the extra court time.
6 (8) Nuggets 20-11 Very kind of Chauncey to respond to some of the nice things we've been saying about him by leading the Nuggets to a decent split with Portland and a big comeback over Philly while 'Melo was resting that bad elbow.
7 (5) Hornets 18-9 On second thought, we're worried about the Hornets again after they got bullied at home by the Lakers for the second time and then looked like they didn't even want to be out there on Christmas Day in Orlando.
8 (7) Rockets 20-11 Trust me: I don't want to write about Houston's injury problems here as much as I do. Problem is, I don't know how you avoid the subject if the Rockets aren't sure night to night who'll be healthy enough to dress.
9 (9) Hawks 19-10 Getting fans in the building to punch All-Star ballots for Joe Johnson (11th among East guards) remains an issue. The important thing, though, is that the Hawks are a win over Denver away from a tidy 7-1 homestand.
10 (13) Mavericks 18-12 The Cowboys are winless in the playoffs (when they get there) since the committee (of one) hit Dallas in 1997. So we wonder: How much do you think Jerry Jones would pay us to leave what we like to call Mavsland?

MVPedroia
12-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm ok with Celts at 2 for now. They will end up being #1. We all know Lakers cant win in Boston.

Lakerfrk
12-29-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm ok with Celts at 2 for now. They will end up being #1. We all know Lakers cant win in Boston.

It might be mostly the same players... but it is a different team this year. You might be right, but we will soon see.

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-29-2008, 01:31 PM

Yeah, last year they couldn't. But we all know this is a different year with 2 different teams. Celtics are too short to match up with the Lakers. The Lakers are just bad news for the Celtics

da wood
12-29-2008, 01:37 PM
well we don't know that do we. we will have to wait and see but until that happens the lakers are number 1 my friend.

MVPedroia
12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Bynum does not make the Lakers a different team. Lakers are still the soft team that got beat in the Finals. Celtics are better than last year, bad news for the Lakers

bostncelts34
12-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Yeah, last year they couldn't. But we all know this is a different year with 2 different teams. Celtics are too short to match up with the Lakers. The Lakers are just bad news for the Celtics

to short? bynum and gasol vs perk and KG

A little undersize, but not too short for you. lol

If you want to get inot that, Think fish can stay with rondo? lol

JordansBulls
12-29-2008, 02:43 PM

Celtics did lose some depth, but Tony Allen has been playing better than Posey for the most part and Rondo and Perkins are much better now. If anything the Lakers downfall could be the SF position as it seems like it could be unstable if the lineup keeps getting shook up.

Gibby23
12-29-2008, 02:50 PM

When the Celts play the 2nd unit of Powe and Davis it is very undersized against Odom/Gasol or Odom/Bynum.

Lol, The Lakers put Kobe on Rondo and he played off of him to let him shoot because he has no jump shot, Rondo couldn't get to the lane with Kobe playing off and Bynum and Gasol behind kobe. Lol.

younggunn113
12-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Bynum does not make the Lakers a different team. Lakers are still the soft team that got beat in the Finals. Celtics are better than last year, bad news for the Lakers

How doesnt he make the Lakers a different team? He's a 7 footer who averages 12/8.5/2 blocks per game. He clogs the lane, ask Rondo who shot 3-11. Perkins only averages 9-9 so the Lakers essentially picked up a player whose better than your starting center, but he doesnt make a difference? KG is so soft, hes a fraud, just because he pounds his chest, yells, picks on guards ( Bayless, Calderon, Sasha, Marco) doesnt make him "tough." I dont get this whole tough guy thing about KG? Cause he gets away with cheap plays hes tough? So if all of a sudden Pau starts yelling he'll become tough? I wish I knew that I would have held up a sign for him to see. It would have read.." Pau act like a punk *** ***** and people will think youre tough, it works for KG!" He takes more jumpers than any other big man in the league outside of Dirk. He shot 11-14 and that was the only reason you stuck around. Pau was off in the first half and went right after him in the 4th and KG couldnt stop him. The Celtics arent as deep as last year with the loss of Posey, who guarded Kobe. Whose going to guard him now? Im just curious. The Lakers are way to deep and big coming off the bench..Sasha (6'7) Radmanovic (6'10) Odom (6'10) Ariza (6'8). Bad news for the Celtics...Im tired of hearing Bynum doesnt make a difference its completely asinine to believe that. If he played for any other team he'd average 15-10 but because hes our 3rd and sometimes even 4th option it goes unnoticed:mad:.

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-29-2008, 04:15 PM

If I were a Boston fan, I would want to totally ignore the benches as well. How tall are Powe and Davis? They look 4 inches shorter than any Laker big man. Even Doc Rivers said the Lakers length bothered them. And about Rondo, he is irrelevant. The Lakers use Kobe on him so he can get some rest on defense. lol. He can't shoot. And even if he attempted to drive past Kobe ( which he didn't ) He is not going to score with Bynum being able to roam the paint because Perkins is a non factor on the offensive side. Fisher will guard Allen, which would be a mis match but Allen is a one trick pony who won't use his length and size to his advantage. He will just stay out at the 3 point line and let Fisher just stay out there on him.

futureheisman
12-29-2008, 04:22 PM

its going to happen againist Lakers just like last year. This guy knows his stuff

tonercharmer
12-30-2008, 03:43 AM
its going to happen againist Lakers just like last year. This guy knows his stuff

Obviously YOU DONT! LAKERS will be the next Dynasty and bring that trophy back to its home L.A.

ARMIN12NBA
12-30-2008, 03:52 AM
I think it is hilarious how Boston Celtic fans were saying how much they missed Perkins after he missed a couple games (like the Warrior game, which Perkins missed)....

Well, Celtic fans. I guess you are now starting to see that missing your starting center does make a difference after all (so stop with the nonsense about Bynum not making a difference).

DODGERS&LAKERS
12-30-2008, 03:58 AM
I think it is hilarious how Boston Celtic fans were saying how much they missed Perkins after he missed a couple games (like the Warrior game, which Perkins missed)....

Well, Celtic fans. I guess you are now starting to see that missing your starting center does make a difference after all (so stop with the nonsense about Bynum not making a difference).

They should have known that when Perkins missed that one game in the finals last year, when they were out rebounded by 10 and the Lakers scored more points in the paint than them by a soft Laker team. When all teams are equal, and no one is missing from either squad, the Lakers are too skilled, tall, long and deep for the Celtics to compete with. They might get 2 games in a 7 game series.

PRETTY BIRD!
12-30-2008, 04:31 AM

Bynum is a difference....how many layups did pierce have on christmas?...............but you know the biggest difference is that now the Celtics don't have anybody to guard Kobe....just like on the christmas game where Kobe penetrated at will and if he didnt lay it up, he kick it out for wide open shots....:smoking:

innovator
12-30-2008, 04:59 AM
KG is SOFT HE SHOOTS 20 FOOT JUMPERS INSTEAD OF POSTING UP, BECAUSE HE IS AFRAID TO BANG BODIES WITH BIGMEN INSIDE. HE JUST WANTS SOMETHING TO DO WITH SMALL GUYS.

UnWantedTheory
12-30-2008, 05:12 AM
Im willing to bet we will not have a repeat of last years finals...one team or the other,but not both.