PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated's 5 trades that need to happen before the deadline

JordansBulls
12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Source: SI (http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1150099/index.htm?eref=sisf)

1. G Vince Carter to the Clippers; C Chris Kaman and G Eric Gordon to the Nets

Despite a surprising 13--13 start, New Jersey isn't rebuilding around the soon-to-be-32-year-old Carter, so the Nets should move him while his value is still high. Los Angeles needs scoring and star power to emerge from the shadow of Kobe Bryant's Lakers. Kaman is redundant in L.A.—the Clippers would still have a nice high-low combo in Marcus Camby and Zach Randolph—but he rebounds, blocks shots and has a low-post game that would complement jump-shooting power forward Yi Jianlian. And Gordon is more than a throw-in: The seventh pick in last June's draft, from Indiana, he would ultimately replace Carter at shooting guard.

2. C-F Rasheed Wallace to the Hornets; C Tyson Chandler to the Pistons

New Orleans's payroll next season is $77 million, threatening owner George Shinn with a $6 million luxury-tax bill that he can't afford. The Hornets would drop below the threshold when Wallace's $13.9 million salary comes off the books this summer, and they can claim that he improves their immediate title hopes by providing a versatile scoring option to go with Chris Paul and David West. In Chandler, Detroit would gain a longer version of Ben Wallace to protect the rim—without giving up Allen Iverson's expiring contract.

3. C Brad Miller to the Cavaliers; G Eric Snow and F J.J. Hickson to the Kings

Cleveland wants to upgrade for a title run and not upset its chemistry—which makes Miller an excellent fit. One of the league's most skilled centers, he provides insurance for Zydrunas Ilgauskas as well as another frontcourt shooter and playmaker to pair with LeBron James. But that's not all: The 7-foot Miller adds to the Cavs' size advantage over the Celtics, and his contract ($23.6 million remaining) expires in two years, satisfying Cleveland's objective to have cap space in 2010 in order to add a big-name running mate for James. Woeful Sacramento is also aiming for '10, and this deal hands the Kings $13 million in instant savings (Snow's contract expires next summer) as well as Hickson, a promising rookie power forward.

4. G-F Anthony Parker and F-C Nathan Jawai to the Bucks; G Charlie Bell and F Austin Croshere to the Raptors

Is this the ideal way for Toronto to fill its desperate need for a backup point guard? Of course not—but it's the best the Raptors can do while saving enough money to get under the luxury-tax threshold this season. Bell isn't a true point, but he's capable enough to spell overworked José Calderón. Milwaukee, meanwhile, sheds Bell's contract (three years, $11.5 million remaining beyond this season) for Parker, whose three-point shooting and professionalism will come in handy before his contract runs out this summer. Croshere could help Toronto as a frontcourt shooter, but he and Jawai are mainly throw-ins for cap purposes.

5. F Joe Smith to the Nuggets; G Chucky Atkins and a first-round pick to the Thunder

Denver needs a backup big man for the playoffs, and Smith can do it all—score, rebound and defend—while enhancing any locker room's chemistry. Oklahoma City would pick up its third first-rounder in June and save $1.6 million this season. Even if this particular deal doesn't go down, look for the Nuggets to drive all kinds of rumors as a contender eager to swap future assets for a title shot now.

I don't think any of these makes sense.

_Sn1P3r_
12-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Eww, I don't like the Raptors trade.

Big Quett
12-29-2008, 11:57 AM
The only trade that almost makes any sense is the Denver trade because they need another bigman.

The nets wont match the offer to Kristic because they already have 15 players on the roster. And they have 7 bigman already. And a 2 for 1 trade would make them have to release a player. So why would they trade for another bigman?

The Raps need a back-up pg but they need another bigman more.

And why is everyone trying to make trades for Cleveland? They are 26-4 only 2 games behind Boston. They are only going to get better as the season goes along.

Same goes with LA

JIDsanity
12-29-2008, 12:25 PM
None make sense

kswissdaf
12-29-2008, 12:45 PM
r they serious

Gmen824
12-29-2008, 12:46 PM
Eric snow, is a broadcaster for nba tv.

Pierzynski4Prez
12-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't think anyone would give up a #1 pick for Joe Smith

Lakersho
12-29-2008, 01:02 PM
stupid , cavs would come up tho

_Supreme_
12-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Lmao, all of those are ******** or insignificant.

codes238
12-29-2008, 01:08 PM
cavs are gona trade wally, jj hickson and 2 first rounders for antawn jamison... theyre gonna be scary as hell

_Supreme_
12-29-2008, 01:11 PM
cavs are gona trade wally, jj hickson and 2 first rounders for antawn jamison... theyre gonna be scary as hell

If that would really happen you would be right :ohno:

MiamiHeat
12-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I thought they were going to put
Shawn Marion for a C

Nighthawk
12-29-2008, 01:55 PM

Wasnt Joe Smith a number one pick himself?? These are silly. Although id like to see that Hornets-Pistons trade go down.

codes238
12-29-2008, 01:57 PM
If that would really happen you would be right :ohno:

its gonna go down at the dealine just watch...

kingjanjic
12-29-2008, 02:13 PM
r wallace clearly aint gettin traded cuz detroit clearly wont resign him or iverson so they have lots of cap room to try to get lebron n somone else

Kyben36
12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Why would Tyson be traded. Why would JR smith be traded. why would Eric Gordon for the Clips be traded . Why would the Kings make the Cavs an even better team. and Finaly. WHY WOULD THE THUNDER TRADE THEIR 1ST ROUND PICK. I could not imagine 1 of these hapening. OK maybe the Clips if they are that Desprate.

Lo Porto
12-29-2008, 02:17 PM
These trades are awful. The Clippers will probably trade either Camby or Kaman since they are stuck with Zach Randolph, and Joe Smith will probably be traded to a contender. However, these trades seem pretty weak.

How is a Carlos Boozer to Miami trade not in there?

SUNDUNDIDIT
12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Why would Tyson be traded. Why would JR smith be traded. why would Eric Gordon for the Clips be traded . Why would the Kings make the Cavs an even better team. and Finaly. WHY WOULD THE THUNDER TRADE THEIR 1ST ROUND PICK. I could not imagine 1 of these hapening. OK maybe the Clips if they are that Desprate.

J.R. Smith is definately not gettin traded....You must've mistakenly confused JOE SMITH with J.R. SMITH.....And nuggets are tryin to get JOE, or wilcox, or collison.

rapswin98
12-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Eww, I don't like the Raptors trade.

i agree

KB24PG16
12-29-2008, 02:50 PM
the 1st one and the 5th one are the only ones that probally might happen

Big Quett
12-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Dude can you read?

First off J.R. Smith's name is not mentioned nowhere in this article. It says Joe Smith

And Second it never said anything about the thunder giving up their pick. It said a 1st round pick would go to the thunder from the Nuggs for Joe Smith.

Read first before you overreact. PLease

AirJordanXVIII
12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I dont get the last one.

DerekRE_3
12-29-2008, 03:44 PM

Because Miller is old and the Kings are in the middle of a youth movement. We'd get another young guy in Hickson and an expiring contract. This would allow Hawes to start at Center instead of Power Forward, where he has struggled. And it's not like the Kings win that many games with Miller on the team anyways, and it would be a trade to an Eastern Conference team. I would like that trade.

ink
12-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree. Those are ridiculous trade ideas. The Raptors trade is laughable.

Chronz
12-29-2008, 04:07 PM
Most of them made sense what are you guys talking about? Maybe a few specifics should be changed like 1st rounders into 2nd rounders but the Nuggets desperately need a big like Joe Smith, the Clippers need Vince but hopefully without giving up EG, throw in Thornton. The Nets have alot of bigmen but none of them are as good as Kaman at full strength, and they arent going to get much for Vince as he ages. Brad Miller to Cleveland would help especially if its just for Eric Snow's contract.

The Raps one Im completely dumbfounded by, I havent been paying attention to the Bucks this year so I dont know how this cures their backup PG play, but surely AP hasnt fallen off that much, or has he? The Raps need to trade Bargs.

eugene
12-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Only trade which makes sense is Denver trade... All other are disgusting...

td0tsfinest
12-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Raptor Trade is nasty no way BC would do that.

FlawlessKB24
12-29-2008, 04:40 PM
its gonna go down at the dealine just watch...

do you know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy in the wizards or cavs front office?

Washington and CLeveland have bad blood. why would Washington, who i know is having a lost season, even try and help cleveland at all?

superkegger
12-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I think sheed to the hornets would be deadly for the rest of the west. You lost no defense, maybe some shot blocking and rebounding, but you gain offense and versatility. Were I a hornets fan, I would love that move. As a lakers fan, I would hate that move. So please New Orleans, don't do it.

SteveNash
12-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Only one man is bold enough to give up 3 first rounders for Smith.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2h67m75.jpg

Trades aren't that bad, except for the first one, that's terrible.