PDA

View Full Version : Question about baseball ownership...

nymetsrule
12-29-2008, 12:48 AM
I have always wondered, from a business point of view, when it comes to baseball (or any sports team for the matter) does it really matter if they win a championship? I know baseball teams love winning, but does the General Manager and the owners really care? Isn't their only goal is to make money, and if they can make more by having cheaper players and not winning a world series....would they go that path?

Sorry if this question does not make much sense, as I am tired and about to pass out.:)

Matt-the-great
12-29-2008, 12:51 AM
well i think this would entail a complex answeri am too tired to attempt...

short version: Every organization and Demographic is different. different objectives, expectations, realities, economies....

AZMetsFan33
12-29-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm sure that the money an owner would make off of winning a championship wouldn't be too shabby. All the merchandise, ticket sales, etc. would definitely add up.

JHG722
12-29-2008, 03:14 AM
The GM probably care a lot more than the owner...

abe_froman
12-29-2008, 03:19 AM
I have always wondered, from a business point of view, when it comes to baseball (or any sports team for the matter) does it really matter if they win a championship? I know baseball teams love winning, but does the General Manager and the owners really care? Isn't their only goal is to make money, and if they can make more by having cheaper players and not winning a world series....would they go that path?

Sorry if this question does not make much sense, as I am tired and about to pass out.:)

the answer is no.and some owners really dont care if they do win.but to many its a pride thing(besides many owners already have billions before hand).and from the business side the sale created from the championship merchandise as well as the popularity(people tuning in or coming to the park) that usually comes with a championship team