PDA

View Full Version : The Official New England Patriots Offseason Thread

Pages : [1] 2

The Intimidator
12-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Okay, the best way to get over our season being done is to start thinking about what we're going to do this offseason. We can address anything in here, from free agency, to Brady's recovery process, to potential trades, and even the draft, even though there's already a draft thread. So, let's get over the fact that our season is done, and focus on returning to the playoffs next season.

torrance
12-28-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm happy with the way the Pats played this season. How many teams could overcome what they did and finish 11-5?

On a positive note, we'll get a higher draft pick (20th, I believe). Anyone for the linebacker or secondary positions will suit me fine.

Asomugha would be a great free agent acquisition, but I doubt the Raiders will let him go.

The big question mark is what to do about Cassel. And speaking of Cassel, where's that old thread where people were saying to dump him in favor of O'Connell?

As far as Brady is concerned, I'm a firm believer he'll be ready for training camp next year.

KingJamsI
12-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Look at it on the bright side, we will have the highest draft pick of any 11-5 team in 20 years!!!

uhhhh...... im not really ready for this thread yet. maybe in 2009

The Intimidator
12-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Look at it on the bright side, we will have the highest draft pick of any 11-5 team in 20 years!!!

uhhhh...... im not really ready for this thread yet. maybe in 2009

That's in 3 days...:cool:

Morgan
12-28-2008, 09:11 PM
We need to sign Bart Scott or Mike Petersen or both and sign Chris Gamble and have a great draft to sure up this defense.

futureheisman
12-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Defensively: Sign CB Bryant McFadden and Dawan Landry. Two guys who are under the Radar wont cost that much and are ball hawks that could make a great contributions. The corner everyone talks about Nnamdi Asomugha is going to be franchised by the Raiders and would be out of our price range. Sign Tommie Harris to help plug up the middle and switch the defense to the 4-3. Draft a middle LB such as Brandon Spikes or Brian Cushing.

Offensively: Figure out what to do with Matt Cassel. If this any doubt about Tom Brady then you franchise him if you think Brady is healthy then let Cassel go or franchise him and trade him. We need to determine if Maroney is are starting running back or if we should let him go. He has not lived up to all the hype and is injury prone. I think a guy we need to look at is Darren Sporles who if Maroney is here next year would be a great guy not only on short passes but great for the wildcat. draft Pat White or Tim Tebow to run the wildcat.

futureheisman
12-28-2008, 09:14 PM
We need to sign Bart Scott or Mike Petersen or both and sign Chris Gamble and have a great draft to sure up this defense.

Chris Gamble was signed to a long term deal Bart Scott has said he wants to stay in Baltimore and Mike Peterson has personal issues.

The Intimidator
12-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Defensively: Sign CB Bryant McFadden and Dawan Landry. Two guys who are under the Radar wont cost that much and are ball hawks that could make a great contributions.

Hmmm...I wonder where you heard that from? Oh yeah, I think you heard that from me and then told me I was stupid! Guess I wasn't that stupid after all.

Surlyc
12-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Defensively: ...Sign Tommie Harris to help plug up the middle and switch the defense to the 4-3. Draft a middle LB such as Brandon Spikes or Brian Cushing....Um... Tommie Harris signed a 4 year contract extension this year and I very much doubt the Patriots could afford/want to give up enough in a trade to sign him.

How is Asomugha out of the Patriots price range but not Harris who, as of this offseason, was the highest paid DT in football?

futureheisman
12-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Hmmm...I wonder where you heard that from? Oh yeah, I think you heard that from me and then told me I was stupid! Guess I wasn't that stupid after all.

I never told you that you were stupid for mentioning these two guys

KingJamsI
12-28-2008, 11:24 PM
That's in 3 days...
exactly...i need those 3 days to drink and forget about the season hah.

Sign Tommie Harris to help plug up the middle and switch the defense to the 4-3.

hahaha. when hell freezes over maybe...that's ridiculous three times. Tommie Harris is not a F/A, we would never pay him what he wants, and the entire framework of this defense has been built on the 3-4 for about 6 years now. get real.

and no ones drawing up draft ideas based on the wildcat. its a gimmick offense and its not that useful, save for one September day in Foxboro. Spread Offense with Brady, Moss, Welker > Wild Cat with pretty much anyone.

Edit: Be honest Futureheisman u just want to switch to the 4-3 so maybe we can get some pressure on the quarterback, dont you?

ERLynx
12-28-2008, 11:53 PM
taylor mays and brian cushing.

The Intimidator
12-29-2008, 01:28 AM
I never told you that you were stupid for mentioning these two guys

Well, you didn't use the word stupid, but you criticized my suggestion of McFadden and Landry when you said the following:

Bryant Mcfadden plays for the Brown buddy you calling them the best defense in the NFL. He has 38 tackles and 2 INT'S. Landry is a safety who has 11 tackles and no INTS so how he a ball hawk????.

So, in this quote you criticize me for calling these guys "ball hawks", but now all of a sudden they are?

Defensively: Sign CB Bryant McFadden and Dawan Landry. Two guys who are under the Radar wont cost that much and are ball hawks that could make a great contributions.

You're really flip-flopping here...:down:

JerseyBrave
12-29-2008, 03:43 AM
I thought I heard that when Asomugha signed his franchise tender this passed season that he had a clause that the raiders could not franchise him again, like what the pats did with Samuel

Crickr
12-29-2008, 10:15 AM
I was never really behind Cassel though I became a beleiver as the season progressed. I admit it . Now I think the Pats had a great year seeing as they had to plug leaks on all sides of the game. They have nothing to be ashamed of. They have several needs in the off season. Secondary beiong a priority along with LB , TE , O Line and probably more depending on who comes back who retires etc. So that being said congratsd to the Patriots for a season well played and many new faces helping out.

Ewagner
12-29-2008, 10:56 AM
there was news that brady is behind in his rehab and may need a second surgury and be out for all of 2009. it was on espnews

bagwell368
12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
If we can do a sign n' trade with Cassell - and get a #1 and a #3 - the Dallas picks Detroit has, then that along with the Chargers 2nd we heisted last year and our own picks mean a lot of reinforcements.

Even if Brady can't go in 2009, I want to deal Cassell. His value will never be higher IMO.

futureheisman
12-29-2008, 02:17 PM
there was news that brady is behind in his rehab and may need a second surgury and be out for all of 2009. it was on espnews

if this is the case then we got to franchise Cassel.

Vincent33
12-29-2008, 02:32 PM
I say we franchise Cassel regardless and trade him to the highest bidder...draft Tebow?

X12Celtics3
12-29-2008, 03:01 PM
You guys are forgetting a very important part of our off-season...
Personnel.
Josh McDaniels is most likely going to get a head coaching job, and Scott Pioli was granted permission to visit with the Cleveland Browns. These two guys are EXTREMELY important to what the Patriots have done in the past two years, and the Patriots should do everything in their power to ensure that they stay in New England.

This off-season, the Patriots really need to get one quality cornerback. Hobbs is a great second corner, but as a first corner he is only average. He doesn't shut guys down like Asante used too, so we need another quality guy for the other side. We didn't see much of Terrence Wheatly this year, which I thought was odd.

Another need we need to fill is linebacker. We can't keep relying on Bruschi and Seau to play. Anyone here remember that young guy Oscar Lua from a few years ago? He led the team in tackles in the pre-season two years ago, got injured, and never came back. He showed lots of promise, and I don't understand why they Pats let him go.

The Patriots should franchise Cassel, and then let him go to the lions. I think we would get a 1st round pick if that happened, right? If Brady isn't ready at the beginning of the season, we could start Matt Gutierrez, who has shown lots of promise and composure in the pre-season.

futureheisman
12-29-2008, 03:30 PM
LB: how about signing Ray Lewis and still drafting a young Lb such as Aron Curry or Brandon Spikes and having them learn from the best. thoughts????

X12Celtics3
12-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Thats really unrealistic. Why would Baltimore let him go, and where would we get the cap room to sign him? If we could, then that would be great, but I don't see it happening.

ras_d
12-29-2008, 03:56 PM
lol - ray lewis.

I see them acquiring some B-level FAs and having a good defensive draft. Its getting about time to start picking D-lineman again

The_Konnection
12-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Guys as far as I see it, were in great position for next year! We only have a few small issues mainly on the defensive side of the ball. Our secondary was supposed to be weak this year but I thought they performed exceptional. These are the positions I see us needing to draft/sign/

1 Right Guard OR a Right tackle.
-Our left side is pretty strong but we need someone who is good at pushing forward to help the run.
1 Right Outside LB
-Bruschi is old but I am confident in our other 3 LB positions. Vrabel is only 1 yr removed from defensive player of the year, he is still solid. Mayo is a beast. Thomas is a great and smart player.
1 CB
-Hobbs did a pretty good job considering I've been really skeptical of him his whole career. Wheatley was looking good until he got hurt. I say SIGN a proven corner. Other positions I've listed (RG/T/LBs) are pretty easy to draft good players from, but somehow its a longshot to draft a good CB/S.
1 S
-This situation is very similar to our CB one. Our Safeties did a pretty good job, but we can't be so sure.

Brian Dawkins? Renaldo Hill?
All in all, our offensive side of the ball is fine as is.

The Intimidator
12-29-2008, 05:42 PM
If we can do a sign n' trade with Cassell - and get a #1 and a #3 - the Dallas picks Detroit has, then that along with the Chargers 2nd we heisted last year and our own picks mean a lot of reinforcements.

Even if Brady can't go in 2009, I want to deal Cassell. His value will never be higher IMO.

I couldn't agree with you more. Detroit can be coaxed into giving us those picks because of the other teams who are interested in Cassel. Teams like San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Chicago, and even Jacksonville could be interested in his services. A sign and trade is made very possible because of that. We know that Cassel is going elsewhere, so we might as well get something for him.

YoungGunYanks07
12-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Whats the likelihood that Josh Mcdaniels take a head coaching job somewhere? If that occurs especially at a place like Detroit the sign and trade scenario would work perfectly. Cassel would be going to a situation where he knows the offense and is given a chance to thrive.

The Intimidator
12-29-2008, 05:53 PM
You guys are forgetting a very important part of our off-season...
Personnel.
Josh McDaniels is most likely going to get a head coaching job, and Scott Pioli was granted permission to visit with the Cleveland Browns. These two guys are EXTREMELY important to what the Patriots have done in the past two years, and the Patriots should do everything in their power to ensure that they stay in New England.

This off-season, the Patriots really need to get one quality cornerback. Hobbs is a great second corner, but as a first corner he is only average. He doesn't shut guys down like Asante used too, so we need another quality guy for the other side. We didn't see much of Terrence Wheatly this year, which I thought was odd.

Another need we need to fill is linebacker. We can't keep relying on Bruschi and Seau to play. Anyone here remember that young guy Oscar Lua from a few years ago? He led the team in tackles in the pre-season two years ago, got injured, and never came back. He showed lots of promise, and I don't understand why they Pats let him go.

The Patriots should franchise Cassel, and then let him go to the lions. I think we would get a 1st round pick if that happened, right? If Brady isn't ready at the beginning of the season, we could start Matt Gutierrez, who has shown lots of promise and composure in the pre-season.

1) McDaniels is going to talk to teams, sure, but I wouldn't pack his bags for him yet. He has talked about how much he enjoys it here, and he is on the record as saying that he isn't sure if he's ready for a head coaching position yet.

2) Pioli previously turned down an offer to go to the Giants, and he considered that his "dream job". The Browns are going to have to really blow him away if they want him to take the job there. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think he stays here in the end.

The Intimidator
12-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Something else that I don't think anyone mentioned is that the Patriots will officially pick in the #24 spot in the 2009 Draft.

futureheisman
12-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Thats really unrealistic. Why would Baltimore let him go, and where would we get the cap room to sign him? If we could, then that would be great, but I don't see it happening.

Him or Bart Scott I would think they would keep Scott

The Intimidator
12-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Him or Bart Scott I would think they would keep Scott

The Ravens will keep both. Scott has said he will take a pay cut, and Lewis, being a lifelong Raven, will probably do the same. Don't get your hopes up about signing either one of them.

futureheisman
12-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Ray Lewis Thomas Mayo and Vrabel would be the best in the NFL by far.

NCBoSoxfan21
12-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Lewis is good, but not what he used to be. Thomas, Mayo, and Maluaga or Laurintiuris would be pretty darn close to it.

But it still wouldn't hold a candle to Scott, Lewis, and Suggs.

TheRedMarauder
12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Patriots OLB Adalius Thomas anticipates his broken forearm will be fully healed by the start of 2009 training camp.

Thomas was on pace for ten sacks before the Week 10 injury. He's 31 now, but has less mileage on his tires than the age indicates after spending several seasons as strictly a special teamer in Baltimore. He's fully grasped Bill Belichick's defense and will return as a high-impact player in 2009.

Impending free agent LaMont Jordan was non-committal Monday when asked if he's like to re-sign with New England for 2009.

"I could definitely see myself wearing this uniform again, but...this is a business," he said. Jordan would likely have to take a deal for the minimum to re-sign. The Pats are deep at tailback and Laurence Maroney will return.

rotoworld

futureheisman
12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Something else that I don't think anyone mentioned is that the Patriots will officially pick in the #24 spot in the 2009 Draft.

Greg Hardy or Brandon Spikes I think would be a good pick here. I think er can fix the secondary through free agency. Brandon Spikes I think is a Mayo type.

Vincent33
12-30-2008, 02:17 PM

Depending on how deep Philly, Min, or Ari go in the playoffs...Pats could jump a spot. :)

The Intimidator
12-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Depending on how deep Philly, Min, or Ari go in the playoffs...Pats could jump a spot. :)

No, the Patriots are officially locked in at #24. Their pick is unaffected even if teams like Arizona, Philly or Minnesota make a Super Bowl run.

hatch81
12-30-2008, 05:55 PM
If they traded Cassel who would you have a QB. I am figuring that Brady wont play next season. So why would you trade Cassel. We need defense help, why waste a high pick on a qb when you dont have to. I saw another post say draft Tebow, well who knows if he is comming out and even if he does come out he not that good of a QB. I could throw 30 TD a year when every td passes he has seems like he at the goal line. Now if Brady is healthy I say trade Cassel.

The Intimidator
12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
If they traded Cassel who would you have a QB. I am figuring that Brady wont play next season. So why would you trade Cassel. We need defense help, why waste a high pick on a qb when you dont have to. I saw another post say draft Tebow, well who knows if he is comming out and even if he does come out he not that good of a QB. I could throw 30 TD a year when every td passes he has seems like he at the goal line. Now if Brady is healthy I say trade Cassel.

Don't assume that Brady won't play next season. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. If you believe that report you're unbelievably gullible. If they're trading Cassel, then it means that they have a plan at QB for 2009, regardless of who it is.

hatch81
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Don't assume that Brady won't play next season. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. If you believe that report you're unbelievably gullible. If they're trading Cassel, then it means that they have a plan at QB for 2009, regardless of who it is.

I am just saying if Brady is hurt they should keep Cassel if Brady is not hurt trade Cassel. I don't believe Brady knee is as bad as the media says it is, but who knows they said his ankle wasn't a problem before the Super Bowl, and it clearly was. So it has nothing to do with being gullible it just making an observation about their situation.

TheRedMarauder
12-30-2008, 09:13 PM
No, the Patriots are officially locked in at #24. Their pick is unaffected even if teams like Arizona, Philly or Minnesota make a Super Bowl run.

Actually it does affect them. Super Bowl participants get the last 2 picks, regardless of records. All other teams are placed in order of their record during the season, regardless of if they made the playoffs or not.

TheRedMarauder
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Safety James Sanders is the only significant Patriots free agent other than QB Matt Cassel.

The 2005 fourth-rounder has turned into a key player along with Ellis Hobbs and Brandon Meriweather in the Pats' secondary. Rodney Harrison can't be counted on, so Sanders is a good bet to return -- at the right price, of course.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
12-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Actually it does affect them. Super Bowl participants get the last 2 picks, regardless of records. All other teams are placed in order of their record during the season, regardless of if they made the playoffs or not.

I can't find the article that I read, but it said that the Patriots were locked in at #24.

ProPoster
12-31-2008, 12:17 AM
Question....

Why can't the patriots offer Pioli something to keep part of the organization? The GM job in cleveland is basically the same job so other than them offering him more money, is there a reason why he would leave for that job if the patriots were to offer him the same amount of money? I mean.... contracts for coaches and executives/managers don't effect the salary cap correct?

WhiteWesWelker
12-31-2008, 01:27 AM
ok, so i read these boards a lot but rarely post...i cant hold my tounge any longer. Is it just me or does everything futureheisman say make you want to bash your head into a wall? switch to a 4-3, sign every big name free agent on the market etc, etc, etc. This isn't your madden franchise. get real.

The Intimidator
12-31-2008, 01:31 AM
ok, so i read these boards a lot but rarely post...i cant hold my tounge any longer. Is it just me or does everything futureheisman say make you want to bash your head into a wall? switch to a 4-3, sign every big name free agent on the market etc, etc, etc. This isn't your madden franchise. get real.

Yeah, if you look at our responses to his posts, you'll find that we often feel the same way. :D

BENTHELEE
12-31-2008, 05:43 AM
My buddy traveled to Boston and was having a few drinks at a pub, the hot rumor in new england is that the patriots want to pursue Shawn Merriman, granted he is coming off surgery but since he's a free agent....will the chargers want to keep him? and we could probably pick him up at a very low price....that would give us merriman and thomas on the outside, im expecting Bruschi to retire and Mayo could play inside with Vrbael moving back to the middle as well. That would give us a solid core of linebackers for our 3-4 scheme.

Also I hear the Vikings will be in hot pursuit for Matt Cassel this offseason, I say lets franchise him and figure out what is going on with Tom Brady, If everything looks good we can trade Cassel before the draft and get something out of it. I am confident the Pats can mold Kevin O'Connell into the same QB Matt Cassel was this past year. It's not the player, it's the system.

futureheisman
12-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Merriman is not a free agent this year.

Ewagner
12-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Does anyone have an official list of all our free agents or guys who are up free agency?

i would be really surprised to see the pats draft another LB. Mayo was very special and it would take another special LB for the patriots to draft one in the first round not just a guy who looks good in the stats column. saying all that i would love and i mean crazy man love for them to get James Laurinaitis. he seems like a great compliment to mayo in the middle.

i would be surprised if ray lewis was a patriot. he will take a home town discount because the direction of the organization is good. if the ravens were down this year i would say he would come here to win one on his way out.

i think our biggest needs in this draft will be as follows DL, OL, CB, Blocking TE, MLB. i would not be surprised to see them take a DT to replace Seymour. yes i know seymour is an end but in college Seymour and Warren were both DT.

cneil99
12-31-2008, 03:25 PM
We definately need to work on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively I'd think we are still one of the best in the league. Defense we need a lot of work. Particularly in the secondary. We need atleast one corner. I'm not too high on James Sanders either.

We also need a pass rush desperately. Adalius did well but after he got hurt, the pass rush was non existent.

Not sure if the Patriots are happy with James Sanders, but what do people think of Jermaine Philips? I've watched him for awhile and he seems to be a very good player. He's a playmaker.

The draft I would love to see Lauranitis from Ohio State, or a corner back in the first round.

TheRedMarauder
12-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Question....

Why can't the patriots offer Pioli something to keep part of the organization? The GM job in cleveland is basically the same job so other than them offering him more money, is there a reason why he would leave for that job if the patriots were to offer him the same amount of money? I mean.... contracts for coaches and executives/managers don't effect the salary cap correct?

Because he's looking for a job where he'll have total control of personnel. In New England he'll never have that as long as Belichick is around. Remember, it was Belichick who actually brought him to the Pats in the first place, so that should tell you what the clear pecking order is.

TheRedMarauder
12-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Laurence Maroney (shoulder) said he plans to stay around Foxborough and participate in the team's offseason conditioning program.

Maroney has a lot to prove in 2009 and may have lost all benefit of the doubt from Patriots coaches, but he's determined to bounce back. "This is my year," said Maroney. "Mark my words."

Patriots signed OLB Angelo Craig, DL Titus Adams, P Tom Malone, LB Darrell Robertson, and OL Ryan Wendell to reserve/future contracts.

Craig, a seventh-round pick of the Bengals last year, is in the process of converting to 3-4 outside linebacker from defensive end. Like the other four youngsters here, he's a long shot to have a career at this level.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
12-31-2008, 03:41 PM
My buddy traveled to Boston and was having a few drinks at a pub, the hot rumor in new england is that the patriots want to pursue Shawn Merriman, granted he is coming off surgery but since he's a free agent....will the chargers want to keep him? and we could probably pick him up at a very low price....that would give us merriman and thomas on the outside, im expecting Bruschi to retire and Mayo could play inside with Vrbael moving back to the middle as well. That would give us a solid core of linebackers for our 3-4 scheme.

Merriman is a free agent after next season, so you'll have to wait another year for that dream to come true. :D

futureheisman
12-31-2008, 05:28 PM
Does anyone have an official list of all our free agents or guys who are up free agency?

i would be really surprised to see the pats draft another LB. Mayo was very special and it would take another special LB for the patriots to draft one in the first round not just a guy who looks good in the stats column. saying all that i would love and i mean crazy man love for them to get James Laurinaitis. he seems like a great compliment to mayo in the middle.

i would be surprised if ray lewis was a patriot. he will take a home town discount because the direction of the organization is good. if the ravens were down this year i would say he would come here to win one on his way out.

i think our biggest needs in this draft will be as follows DL, OL, CB, Blocking TE, MLB. i would not be surprised to see them take a DT to replace Seymour. yes i know seymour is an end but in college Seymour and Warren were both DT.

Quarterbacks

Charlie Batch Pittsburgh Steelers
Kyle Boller Baltimore Ravens
Matt Cassel New England Patriots
Kerry Collins Tennessee Titans
Jeff Garcia Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Rex Grossman Chicago Bears
J.P. Losman Buffalo Bills
Patrick Ramsey Denver Broncos
Kurt Warner Arizona Cardinals

Running Backs

J.J. Arrington Arizona Cardinals
Correll Buckhalter Philadelphia Eagles
Jesse Chatman New York Jets
Heath Evans New England Patriots
Brandon Jacobs New York Giants
Rudi Johnson Detroit Lions
LaMont Jordan New England Patriots
Ryan Moats Philadelphia Eagles
Maurice Morris Seattle Seahawks
Dominic Rhodes Indianapolis Colts
Darren Sproles San Diego Chargers
Aaron Stecker New Orleans Saints
Derrick Ward New York Giants
Ricky Williams Miami Dolphins

Recievers

Bobby Engram Seattle Seahawks
Jabar Gaffney New England Patriots
Dante' Hall St. Louis Rams
Devery Henderson New Orleans Saints
T.J. Houshmandzadeh Cincinnati Bengals
Sam Hurd Dallas Cowboys
Brandon Jones Tennessee Titans
Ashley Lelie San Francisco 49ers
Shaun McDonald Detroit Lions
Koren Robinson Green Bay Packers
Amani Toomer New York Giants
Roydell Williams Tennessee Titans
Cedrick Wilson Pittsburgh Steelers

Tight Ends

Owen Daniels Houston Texans
Will Heller Seattle Seahawks
Eric Johnson New Orleans Saints
Jeff King Carolina Panthers
Jim Kleinsasser Minnesota Vikings
Leonard Pope Arizona Cardinals
Bo Scaife Tennessee
L.J. Smith Philadelphia
Daniel Wilcox Baltimore Ravens

Offensive Lineman

Stacy Andrews Cincinnati Bengals
Khalif Barnes Jacksonville Jaguars
Matt Birk Minnesota Vikings
Jordan Black Houston Texans
Jason Brown Baltimore Ravens
Vernon Carey Miami Dolphins
Jahri Evans New Orleans Saints
George Foster Detroit Lions
Mike Goff San Diego Chargers
Chris Gray Seattle Seahawks
Jordan Gross Carolina Panthers
Pete Kendall Washington Redskins
Seth McKinney Cleveland Browns
Jon Runyan Philadelphia Eagles
Jeff Saturday Indianapolis Colts
Marvel Smith Pittsburgh Steelers
Mark Tauscher Green Bay Packers
Tra Thomas Philadelphia Eagles
Fred Weary Houston Texans
John Welbourn Kansas City Chiefs

Defensive Lineman

Jonathan Babineaux Atlanta Falcons
Rocky Bernard Seattle Seahawks
Bertrand Berry Arizona Cardinals
Kevin Carter Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chris Canty Dallas Cowboys
Shaun Cody Detroit Lions
Jovan Haye Tampa Bay Bucs
Albert Haynesworth Tennessee Titans
Tank Johnson Dallas Cowboys
Julius Peppers Carolina Panthers
Terrell Suggs Baltimore Ravens
John Thornton Cincinnati Bengals
Marcus Tubbs Seattle Seahawks

Linebackers

Eric Barton New York Jets
Jordan Beck Denver Broncos
Monty Beisel Arizona Cardinals
Michael Boley Atlanta Falcons
Angelo Crowell Buffalo Bills
Channing Crowder Miami Dolphins
Karlos Dansby Arizona Cardinals
James Farrior Pittsburgh Steelers
Tyjuan Hagler Indianapolis Colts
Leroy Hill Seattle Sehawks
Ray Lewis Baltimore Ravens
Willie McGinest Cleveland Browns
Mike Peterson Jacksonville Jaguars
Carlos Polk San Diego Chargers
Bart Scott Baltimore Ravens
Jonathan Vilma New Orleans Saints
Sam Williams Oakland Raiders

Defensive Backs

Nnamdi Asomugha Oakland Raiders
Oshiomogho Atogwe St Louis Rams
Tyron Brackenridge Kansas City Chiefs
Mike Brown Chicago Bears
Phillip Buchanon Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Brian Dawkins Philadelphia Eagles
Chris Gamble Carolina Panthers
Jabari Greer Buffalo Bills
Rodney Harrison New England Patriots
Kelvin Hayden Indianapolis Colts
Renaldo Hill Miami Dolphins
Daven Holly Cleveland Browns
Sean Jones, UFA, Cleveland Browns
Dawan Landry Baltimore Ravens
Bryant McFadden Pittsburgh Steelers
R.W. McQuarters New York Giants
Justin Miller New York Jets
Lawyer Milloy Atlanta Falcons
Deltha O'Neal Cincinnati Bengals
Jarrad Page Kansas City Chiefs
Jermaine Phillips Tampa Bay Bucs
Dunta Robinson Houston Texans
Allen Rossum San Francisco 49ers

Kickers

Mike Nugent New York Jets
Shane Lechler Oakland Raiders

futureheisman
12-31-2008, 05:32 PM
Another intresting thing out there is that the Titans cant franchise Albert Hansworth. Wouldnt he look good right now to Wilfork and have Warren and Seymour coming off the edges along with Thomas. This Defense would be downright nasty.

The Intimidator
12-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Quarterbacks

Running Backs

Recievers

Sam Hurd Dallas Cowboys

Tight Ends

Bo Scaife Tennessee
L.J. Smith Philadelphia

Offensive Lineman

Defensive Lineman

Shaun Cody Detroit Lions

Linebackers

Defensive Backs

Mike Brown Chicago Bears

Kickers

He said all of OUR guys, not the entire free agent class.

cneil99
12-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Quarterbacks

Running Backs

Recievers

Sam Hurd Dallas Cowboys

Tight Ends

Bo Scaife Tennessee
L.J. Smith Philadelphia

Offensive Lineman

Defensive Lineman

Shaun Cody Detroit Lions

Linebackers

Defensive Backs

Mike Brown Chicago Bears

Kickers

Lots of good names in there. I'm sure most of the big ones will either get franchised or sign before hand. I would love to see the Pats get Suggs.

futureheisman
12-31-2008, 06:47 PM
Baltimore cant keep all 3 Scott Ray and Suggs

Crickr
12-31-2008, 07:21 PM

Red is absolutly right . If a team or teams with a lessor record make it to the SB then it can move the Pats from 24 to 23 maybe 22 if the right cards fall in place.

Canada26
12-31-2008, 07:33 PM
I have a feeling that we are going to see the Patriots do some spending this off season. You remember after the loss in the AFCCG to IND? That offseason, we signed Adalius, Sammy Morrs, Dante Stallworth, and traded for Moss and Welker.

Im not sure they will go that hard this off season, but I expect something. At the same, I know they are pretty high on Gary Guyton and I have heard that they are expecting things from him next year. Apparently the same goes for Shawn Crable. Who knows though, the Pats aren't usually ones for letting rookies gain a feel for the league by playing them. Who knows whats next.

TheRedMarauder
12-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Deltha O'Neal isn't expected to be be back with the Patriots next season.

No surprise there, as O'Neal tanked after earning a starting job early in the season. New England also figures to say goodbye to Junior Seau (again), Rosevelt Colvin (again), and possibly Tedy Bruschi.

rotoworld

futureheisman
01-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Deltha O'Neal isn't expected to be be back with the Patriots next season.

No surprise there, as O'Neal tanked after earning a starting job early in the season. New England also figures to say goodbye to Junior Seau (again), Rosevelt Colvin (again), and possibly Tedy Bruschi.

rotoworld

:clap::clap:

Ewagner
01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
You think there is any chance we go after zach thomas? he opted out of his contract with the cowboys

futureheisman
01-01-2009, 04:22 PM
not another old washed up Linebacker NO

Ewagner
01-01-2009, 05:12 PM
those are the type of LB's that work in this system

Panzer133
01-01-2009, 06:36 PM
We didn't see much of Terrence Wheatly this year, which I thought was odd.

Thats because Wheatley was on IR most of the season. I hope he comes back and helps the secondary. Hes a sooild tackler and plays like Hobbs.

But we need to sign a very good CB. It is a priority.

Also all reports on Brady don't say he is behind schedual. Some say he is actually ahead of schedual.

Mcdaniels will probably leave, so we have to try and keep Pioli. He has really helped the Patriots put together the great seasons they have had.

futureheisman
01-01-2009, 07:53 PM
We need to get a guy who can rush the passer to put less pressure on the secondary.

Ewagner
01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
We need to get a guy who can rush the passer to put less pressure on the secondary.

i believe that is what they are molding crable to do. i think him missing a year was a blessing in disguise. he was able to sit back and learn the defense. don't be shocked if they go for a big DE in the draft. i would truly be shocked if they drafted a CB in the first round or signed a big name CB. it just doesn't seem to be there style

MVPedroia
01-01-2009, 10:59 PM

Good job on posting one of the things we DONT need.

The Intimidator
01-02-2009, 09:22 AM
You think there is any chance we go after zach thomas? he opted out of his contract with the cowboys

We showed serious interest last year, so I would expect us to do the same this year. Like you said, those types of guys are players Belichick loves because of their great intelligence.

The Intimidator
01-02-2009, 09:23 AM

OH MY GOD SHUT UP! We have disputed this point with you countless times and you keep saying it. At this point it's getting ridiculous.

futureheisman
01-02-2009, 04:28 PM
We have the 24th pick. If we stay there and dont trade up there are three names that will be at that spot that I could see us drafting.

Brian Cushing LB USC
Brandon Spikes LB FL
Greg Hardy De/LB Ole Miss

Greg Hardy is a guy I really like. He lead the SEC in Sacks. Last season he had 18.5 tackles for loss. Is 6-4 and 265 who can run under a 4.7. I think he would look great as a LB in this system.

MVPedroia
01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
We have the 24th pick. If we stay there and dont trade up there are three names that will be at that spot that I could see us drafting.

Brian Cushing LB USC
Brandon Spikes LB FL
Greg Hardy De/LB Ole Miss

Greg Hardy is a guy I really like. He lead the SEC in Sacks. Last season he had 18.5 tackles for loss. Is 6-4 and 265 who can run under a 4.7. I think he would look great as a LB in this system.

WE DON'T NEED A DE. do you even watch the Pats?

futureheisman
01-02-2009, 09:05 PM
DE/LB you read what I said

The Intimidator
01-02-2009, 09:46 PM
DE/LB you read what I said

I think his point is that we need someone in the secondary, like we have been saying for a while now. You're the only one who doesn't seem to see that we have three pro bowlers on the D-Line, and that it isn't out problem. We need help in the secondary first and foremost, with LB/O-Line being second on the list. D-Line is the least of our worries right now.

TheRedMarauder
01-02-2009, 09:58 PM
The Providence Journal believes the Patriots would welcome SS Rodney Harrison back if he wanted to return in 2009.

It was thought that the 36-year-old free agent would hang up the spikes after his season ended early with a torn quad muscle, but he may try to play one more year to leave on his own terms. Brandon Meriweather has emerged as a keystone of the defense, so Harrison would have a limited role if he did return.

rotoworld

doesntmatter1
01-03-2009, 12:33 AM
i have a few things to get off of my chest. There was someone who predicted the pats would go 11-5 after brady was injured. I believe it was pats fan. You need to go to Vegas. Secondly, i have mentioned in previous posts that bringing colvin back would help us out alot and people were like they aren't going to bring him back but they did and it worked out pretty good. Gary Guyton looked good in certain pass plays but overall Colvin is much better and the pats should not release him unless they draft someone or have alot of faith in Shawn Crable because Guyton is not the answer. Lastly, it is kind of easy to see how to fix the secondary. As i said before Hobbs is a decent corner and he plays terrific when he has merriweather over the top. When he is in single coverage he tends to leave to much of a cushion and i always see teams doing comeback routes on him. And we need a lock down corner on the other side.

Its kind of the way they have been doing it for years especially during 03 and 04. The safety with good cover skills is to the left(merriweather, Wilson when he was good) helping out the weaker cb(hobbs, randall gay, ottis smith), while the lockdown corner(law,samuel) has a physical safety to help jar the ball loose with a viscious hit if they cannot stop the wide receiver. Harrison is a little slower now so his hits are not like they use to be but still effective and for some reason he is extremely good at covering tight ends. But it is not that safe to leave harrison deep buy himself anymore. Example: With the ball waiting to come down in the Superbowl, a younger more physical safety would have ripped the ball away from David Tyree. I apologize for bringing up that moment.
Besides needing one lockdown corner with a physical safety i would say the problem is James Sanders. Because he is solid, i fear he will not be replaced. But he is not a vicious hitter and almost never jars the ball loose and his coverage skills are average. I have not seen much of this years crop of safeties but i am guessing there has to be at least one we can get our hands on. I almost forgot, if Deltha Oneal is not cut i will flip out.

Another thing, losing Maroney this season was a blessing in disguise. He wastes many downs by losing yards when he runs. Every one knows he has potential but the pats will just except that his styles clashes with our system and cut him. Then a team like the Broncos will pick him up and he will rush for like 1500 yards, but remember he would have never done that with us. We need a fast pounder in the mold of Dillon and Sammy Morris. Jonathan Stewart would be perfect for us. Maybe Knowshon Moreno would be a good fit.

Lastly, i am sick of other teams trying to ruin what we have going. They succeeded in taking our offensive and defensive coordinators in 05. Then our draft guru, Thomas Dimitriff went to the falcons and everyone sees how they are doing. Now they want Josh McDaniels and Scott Pioli. Give me a break. But if they all do leave they left us a little present. They succeeded in giving us a good backup in Matt Cassel and they did it again by providing us with Kevin O'Connel. Especially when Cassel will probably be gone and with rumors of Brady not being ready. At the time, i even questioned using a 3rd round pick on a qb when Brady was in his prime and they could probably extend Cassel's contract without much effort. But now it just looks like pure genious. In Bill I Trust. That was everything on mind with lots of sentence fragments and run-ons but i hoped everyone enjoyed it and feel free to comment or even argue.

P.S. the pats should draft trendon holliday. He's a sleeper.

bagwell368
01-03-2009, 12:59 AM
i have mentioned in previous posts that bringing colvin back would help us out alot and people were like they aren't going to bring him back but they did and it worked out pretty good. Gary Guyton looked good in certain pass plays but overall Colvin is much better

Colvin was a warm body, and below average at that. Seau made a much bigger impact. Guyton is nothing, so being better then him isn't hard. He can't be released as he was a pick up for '08.

Lastly, i am sick of other teams trying to ruin what we have going. They succeeded in taking our offensive and defensive coordinators in 05. Then our draft guru, Thomas Dimitriff went to the falcons and everyone sees how they are doing. Now they want Josh McDaniels and Scott Pioli. Give me a break. But if they all do leave they left us a little present. They succeeded in giving us a good backup in Matt Cassel and they did it again by providing us with Kevin O'Connel. Especially when Cassel will probably be gone and with rumors of Brady not being ready. At the time, i even questioned using a 3rd round pick on a qb when Brady was in his prime and they could probably extend Cassel's contract without much effort. But now it just looks like pure genious. In Bill I Trust. That was everything on mind with lots of sentence fragments and run-ons but i hoped everyone enjoyed it and feel free to comment or even argue.

It's the price of success... BTW, notice how most people that leave here do not do well. Pioli will totally bomb if he leaves unless he gets a total stud to help him with player evals. If nobody comes calling, then we are not doing very well - which do you want?

magichatnumber9
01-03-2009, 12:04 PM
I am not worried about the Quarterback spot. I think this offseason should focus on defense, coaching and players. next season there should be no reason why Hobbs is starting. He is a special teams guy and maybe a fifteen play guy at corner. We might want to think about trading Richard Seymour for some pics.

futureheisman
01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
I am not worried about the Quarterback spot. I think this offseason should focus on defense, coaching and players. next season there should be no reason why Hobbs is starting. He is a special teams guy and maybe a fifteen play guy at corner. We might want to think about trading Richard Seymour for some pics.

Trade Richard Seymour coming off the one of his best seasons of his career. NO WAY he is way too valuable to this defense he could do everything play the run and rush the passer. Seymour to DET for the first overall pick i wouldnt even condiiser doing. You have a the best group in the NFL you dont want to break that up.

The Intimidator
01-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Trade Richard Seymour coming off the one of his best seasons of his career. NO WAY he is way too valuable to this defense he could do everything play the run and rush the passer. Seymour to DET for the first overall pick i wouldnt even condiiser doing. You have a the best group in the NFL you dont want to break that up.

:laugh: I'm laughing because you flip-flop more than a damn pancake! You wanted Seymour cut earlier this season!

D-Line:Peppers Warren Wilfork Seymour-if he is not cut this offseason.

I provided the quote so you couldn't deny saying it again.

MVPedroia
01-03-2009, 07:34 PM

him really don't need any more picks because not all the rookies we draft will make the team. Although we could trade the picks.

futureheisman
01-03-2009, 08:09 PM
:laugh: I'm laughing because you flip-flop more than a damn pancake! You wanted Seymour cut earlier this season!

I provided the quote so you couldn't deny saying it again.

I ever say that Seymour would be cut or I wanted him cut NO

The Intimidator
01-03-2009, 08:17 PM
I ever say that Seymour would be cut or I wanted him cut NO

Give it up dude, you know you did. Here's the link. Scroll down to post #27, where I quote you saying it.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282139&page=2

bagwell368
01-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Well... Seymour still gives me a headache. Great season, then gets banged up.

He's no kid anymore. If I knew he would be healthy for the next 5 years, I'm all set with keeping him. But at contract time, his price will be sky high, and he could easily get an offer of 6 years for $55M and $25M up front from another team, which is steep for a guy that misses games.

There is the 2nd franchise tag they could throw on him, there is a trade as well. Whatever the choice, it'll be because BB thinks its best.

The Intimidator
01-04-2009, 12:15 AM
There is the 2nd franchise tag they could throw on him, there is a trade as well. Whatever the choice, it'll be because BB thinks its best.

Is there are second franchise tag? I don't think that's right. I thought it was just the franchise tag and the transition tag. I could be wrong though.

The Intimidator
01-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Now, as I say this, the Chargers are driving on the Colts in overtime, but this is not a spur of the moment comment. A guy we should go after this offseason is Darren Sproles. He returns kicks and punts exceptionally, which would take pressure off of Welker, Hobbs, and Faulk. He is also a guy who could be extremely effective getting 5-10 carries a game on offense, giving Maroney a breather. If you mix that in with the fact that he's a gifted receiver out of the backfield as well, you get a real quadruple threat. I say we go out and get this guy. Hey, Atlanta struck gold this past offseason with Michael Turner. I'm not saying there will be a repeat performance of that, but he's worth bringing in to help the team.

MVPedroia
01-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Now, as I say this, the Chargers are driving on the Colts in overtime, but this is not a spur of the moment comment. A guy we should go after this offseason is Darren Sproles. He returns kicks and punts exceptionally, which would take pressure off of Welker, Hobbs, and Faulk. He is also a guy who could be extremely effective getting 5-10 carries a game on offense, giving Maroney a breather. If you mix that in with the fact that he's a gifted receiver out of the backfield as well, you get a real quadruple threat. I say we go out and get this guy. Hey, Atlanta struck gold this past offseason with Michael Turner. I'm not saying there will be a repeat performance of that, but he's worth bringing in to help the team.

yeah I guess we could go after him. I'd love us to get Shonn Greene in the draft, the RB out of Iowa. He would smack the defense in the mouth

Ewagner
01-04-2009, 09:15 AM
i think green would be the logical choice as a second back to maroney. let maroney take the role of deangelo williams in carolina and greene the jonathan stewart role as the brusier. i have a feeling his stock is going to rise but i have seen him every where from late first to third round.

ProPoster
01-05-2009, 02:39 PM
What do you guys think about signing Sproles as a FA and maybe trading away either Maroney or Morris for some defensive players?

The Intimidator
01-05-2009, 09:26 PM
What do you guys think about signing Sproles as a FA and maybe trading away either Maroney or Morris for some defensive players?

I like the idea of signing Sproles, but I don't see Maroney or Morris having much trade value.

futureheisman
01-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I would love Sproles in this offense and a get a guy possibly like Suggs.

RdSxFn38
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
^^^ I would love Sproles too, except he is probably going to make more money than the Pats would be willing to spend. If we franchise Cassel, between him, Brady, Seymour, and Moss, I think the cap hit would be around 50 million for just those four guys. They're are so many way ways the Pats can go this offseason, if Cassel is traded though. IMO I see this being a quiet offseason for the Pats, besides possibly trading Cassel. I expect them to just build through the draft, and then just sign a couple of veterans to small contracts like they did last offseason. Along with looking to sign extensions for players already on the team.

TheRedMarauder
01-06-2009, 06:09 PM
The Patriots aren't considering cutting Laurence Maroney this off-season.

Patriots fans have the idea that the team should ditch Maroney, but he's under control at a very cheap salary and still remains the most talented back on the roster. Maroney also seems to realize 2009 is do-or-die for his career. We expect him to be part of a committee in New England.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
01-06-2009, 06:11 PM
I would love Sproles in this offense and a get a guy possibly like Suggs.

Suggs is going to command too much money, and we already have a pass rushing OLB in Adalius Thomas. I wouldn't be in favor of replacing Mike Vrabel with Suggs either, which is what we'd be doing if we signed Suggs.

RdSxFn38
01-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Is Suggs even going to be a FA?

The Intimidator
01-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Is Suggs even going to be a FA?

Yeah he is. He played under the franchise tag this past season, so unless he's franchised again, which is unlikely, he's going to test the market.

RdSxFn38
01-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Gotcha, thanks.

The Intimidator
01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
That's what I'm here for. :D

TheRedMarauder
01-07-2009, 11:55 AM
Patriots DE Richard Seymour will undergo minor surgery on his finger Friday.

The surgery will fix a lingering issue that Seymour played through all season. Still, the five-time Pro Bowler should be healthier this offseason than he's been in several years.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
01-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Patriots DE Ty Warren had torn abductor muscles in his groin surgically repaired Thursday. He also had sports hernia surgery.

Warren has played through the hernia since his days at Texas A&M. He is fully expected to be ready for training camp. The injuries nagged at Warren late in 2008, causing him to miss three games and limiting him to two sacks.

rotoworld

futureheisman
01-10-2009, 09:39 PM
what do you guys think happens to Cassel you think he is here opening day or is traded

The Intimidator
01-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Patriots DE Ty Warren had torn abductor muscles in his groin surgically repaired Thursday. He also had sports hernia surgery.

Warren has played through the hernia since his days at Texas A&M. He is fully expected to be ready for training camp. The injuries nagged at Warren late in 2008, causing him to miss three games and limiting him to two sacks.

rotoworld

Holy ****! If that's accurate, then I'm really impressed with this guy. That means that he's played 7 or 8 seasons with that injury and has still been a first round pick and a pro bowler. Wow. :worthy:

The Intimidator
01-10-2009, 09:44 PM
what do you guys think happens to Cassel you think he is here opening day or is traded

IMO he'll be traded, regardless of Brady's situation. You need to get all you can for the guy while his stock is high.

Ewagner
01-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Washington DC: With Larry Johnson asking to be traded,do you see the chiefs trading him on draft day? If so what type of value does he hold?

Mel Kiper: (1:29 PM ET ) I would think so. You look at the situation there and Tony Gonzalez and Johnson. If Johnson can benefit another team, we've had backs move on. Marshall Faulk. You can have guys that leave one organization and on to another and produce. Cleveland is pretty desperate for a RB. Denver. New England. Seattle.

futureheisman
01-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I would love to see Larry Johnson here but we need to focus on defense and save the pics it would require to get him.

pats_sox_nd
01-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Defensively: Sign CB Bryant McFadden and Dawan Landry. Two guys who are under the Radar wont cost that much and are ball hawks that could make a great contributions. The corner everyone talks about Nnamdi Asomugha is going to be franchised by the Raiders and would be out of our price range. Sign Tommie Harris to help plug up the middle and switch the defense to the 4-3. Draft a middle LB such as Brandon Spikes or Brian Cushing.

Offensively: Figure out what to do with Matt Cassel. If this any doubt about Tom Brady then you franchise him if you think Brady is healthy then let Cassel go or franchise him and trade him. We need to determine if Maroney is are starting running back or if we should let him go. He has not lived up to all the hype and is injury prone. I think a guy we need to look at is Darren Sporles who if Maroney is here next year would be a great guy not only on short passes but great for the wildcat. draft Pat White or Tim Tebow to run the wildcat.

That's actually an awful idea to sign Tommie Harris and switch to a 4-3. 3-4 is SIGNATURE Belichick, and cleary it has worked. Wilfork is perfect fit for our system we don't need to waste money on Tommie Harris. However I totally agree with Dwan Landry he is sick! Ravens players are awesome! I'd also love Mays from USC, but that'd be a strech. If Mark Herzlich comes out he has to be a Pat. PERFECT 3-4 fit, and from BC.

Darren Sporles would not work with the Pats. The RB's we have are good, we need running blocking RB's e.g. Faulk, Maroney, Morris, and Jordan. "Pat White or Tebow for the wildcat" That's actually and awful idea. You need like a RB or WR for the wildcat and it is so overrated. Tebow obviously is going back to UF and would suck in the NFL. And Pat White weighs like 170 pounds he will be a WR. On offense we need a reciever for when Moss retires.

PhillySportFan
01-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Just wanted to pop in here and thank the Patriots for Asante Samuel. He has so proven he's not a "system CB", thanks again, would of been hard without him this season. He is a superstar at CB and theres not many of them, he is a flat out a playmaker.

Ewagner
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Just wanted to pop in here and thank the Patriots for Asante Samuel. He has so proven he's not a "system CB", thanks again, would of been hard without him this season. He is a superstar at CB and theres not many of them, he is a flat out a playmaker.

he actually works in any system that puts pressure on the QB much like any other good CB. his only real issue is he takes to many chances. i am happy he is doing well with the eagles. personally i hate the eagles but good for them. they got what they paid for and they paid a lot.

forgot to mention that we also finished with a better record so i am not to heart broken

The Intimidator
01-14-2009, 06:34 PM

This isn't really news to us. We knew he was good.

futureheisman
01-16-2009, 10:19 AM
It sucks that Greg Hardy is staying in school

The Intimidator
01-16-2009, 12:28 PM
It sucks that Greg Hardy is staying in school

Why? Were you honestly expecting Hardy to fall into the 20's?

bagwell368
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
The only two big FA signings of BB's time are both LB's. If they can't find another Mayo type impact guy in the draft, they will look for a FA. They badly need one. They will also sign another retread RB to make up for losing the big x Oakland back who isn't coming back.

Cassel will be dealt for 15-25 range #1, or perhaps a high #2 and high #3. With that ammo plus SD's #2, and our own picks we will go after:

LT, TE, CB, S, RB

If Brady is all set, we will have perhaps our deepest team under BB. If not, BB will sign an aging vet type QB to hold the fort for Brady or his replacement. He won't break the bank on a QB.

'10 holds problems at DL and OL, and we'll have less picks, unless BB deals some away this year for more next year.

BTW, Morris is worthless in trade, and Moroney nearly so.

cigar17
01-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Any news on coaching staff who is leaving or coming in??:confused::confused:

The Intimidator
01-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Any news on coaching staff who is leaving or coming in??:confused::confused:

Just look around in the other threads. Seely, Capers, McDaniels, and Pioli are out, O'Brien is in, and Caserio is promoted. That's all so far.

TheRedMarauder
01-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Impending free agent special teamer Larry Izzo plans to continue his career next season.

Izzo, 34, should find a home in the AFC West if the Pats don't want him back. Former New England OC Josh McDaniels is the new Broncos head coach and ex-Patriots special teams boss Brad Seely took the same job in KC.

rotoworld

futureheisman
01-17-2009, 04:50 PM
why wouldnt the Pats want Larry Izzo back makes no sense.

hatch81
01-18-2009, 10:29 PM
The pats should sign Michael Vick if he gets out of jail in time. That way he can teach Brady how to run around in the pocket instead of standing their and having his knee blow out.

The Intimidator
01-19-2009, 12:13 AM
The pats should sign Michael Vick if he gets out of jail in time. That way he can teach Brady how to run around in the pocket instead of standing their and having his knee blow out.

:smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

:down: :down: :down:

futureheisman
01-19-2009, 10:48 AM
:smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

:down: :down: :down:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

KmB728
01-19-2009, 10:58 AM
Ray Lewis or Terrell Suggs anyone?

The Intimidator
01-19-2009, 12:50 PM
Ray Lewis or Terrell Suggs anyone?

:sigh:

I would be shocked to see Lewis go anywhere this offseason. The love between him and the Ravens is mutual, and IMO Baltimore will pay almost any price to bring him back. The only team I could see him going to would be the Jets because of the Rex Ryan connection, and even that is a long shot.

As for Suggs, sure he would be a fantastic player here, but we run a 3-4, not a 4-3. Suggs could play DE, but Seymour occupies that position for us and no one is removing him from that spot just yet. Suggs could also play OLB, but we already have two established OLB's in Vrabel and Thomas. Suggs is probably a better pass rusher than Vrabel, but if you bring in Suggs and move Vrabel to the inside, you're weakening your interior LB corps.

The Intimidator
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
As of right now, the Patriots have yet to name a new Offensive Coordinator to replace the departed Josh McDaniels. WEEI was discussing the possible in-house candidates recently, because this is most likely something that will be handled internally. One of the first few candidates who comes to mind is Pete Mangurian, who is currently our Tight Ends Coach. He was apparently highly considered for the Coordinator position after Charlie Weis left after the 2004 season, so he may be considered again. Long shots are Running Backs Coach Ivan Fears and Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Dante Scarnecchia. Thoughts?

On a side note: Dom Capers is the new Defensive Coordinator for the Green Bay Packers.

Crickr
01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
As of right now, the Patriots have yet to name a new Offensive Coordinator to replace the departed Josh McDaniels. WEEI was discussing the possible in-house candidates recently, because this is most likely something that will be handled internally. One of the first few candidates who comes to mind is Pete Mangurian, who is currently our Tight Ends Coach. He was apparently highly considered for the Coordinator position after Charlie Weis left after the 2004 season, so he may be considered again. Long shots are Running Backs Coach Ivan Fears and Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Coach Dante Scarnecchia. Thoughts?

On a side note: Dom Capers is the new Defensive Coordinator for the Green Bay Packers.

To me that isn't anything to be upset with as a Pats fan. He was ok but but won't be missed.

futureheisman
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Capers didnt contribute anything this past year.

The Intimidator
01-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Capers didnt contribute anything this past year.

You can't say that. We have no idea whatsoever what he did behind the scenes this past season. It very well could have been the injuries and poor player personnel that made Capers look bad in 2008.

Wake's Fastball
01-19-2009, 07:06 PM

Would hedge on Mangurian taking the spot. Fears is a nice coach as well, but I can't imagine BB being comfortable with our offensive line coach doing the play calling for the offense.

Wake's Fastball
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
As my baseless post of the week... Jeff Jagodzinski for OC '09!

The Intimidator
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Would hedge on Mangurian taking the spot. Fears is a nice coach as well, but I can't imagine BB being comfortable with our offensive line coach doing the play calling for the offense.

Yeah, as valuable as Dante is to our staff, I wouldn't want him in charge of the entire offense. He does a fantastic job with the O-Line, so his focus should remain there.

As my baseless post of the week... Jeff Jagodzinski for OC '09!

I wouldn't rule out Jagodzinski being brought to the AFC East, as the Jets OC. If Schottenheimer isn't retained, the Jets might bring Jags in to run the offense. At the very least, he knows Favre. If they want to keep him, maybe they bring in Jags.

Super.
01-19-2009, 08:37 PM
i would like to see coach Jags as OC in 09

futureheisman
01-19-2009, 09:14 PM
me too would be a good addition to this staff

Wake's Fastball
01-19-2009, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't rule out Jagodzinski being brought to the AFC East, as the Jets OC. If Schottenheimer isn't retained, the Jets might bring Jags in to run the offense. At the very least, he knows Favre. If they want to keep him, maybe they bring in Jags.

I might actually cry if he goes to the Jets.

The Intimidator
01-19-2009, 11:26 PM
I might actually cry if he goes to the Jets.

I'd boo the hell out of him. :mad:

cneil99
01-20-2009, 02:09 AM
has anyone heard how Brady is doing? I haven't heard much, the last report was that he might go on the PUP list, but was that ever proven. I guess with Belichik unless you hear it from him you can't believe anything, but we need Brady back to be contenders. Cassel was great in the situation he was in, but lets face it, we won't be winning any super bowls with him. I was just curious if anyone has heard any updates?

The Intimidator
01-20-2009, 12:04 PM
No. If there were any updates, they'd be all over ESPN.

MVPedroia
01-20-2009, 12:40 PM
I think Tom will be ready for next season but if he isnt I might slit my wrists....seriously

He isnt going to have Moss forever and we'll all wonder what could have been :cry:

cclipper44
01-20-2009, 01:46 PM
I think Tom will be ready for next season but if he isnt I might slit my wrists....seriously

He isnt going to have Moss forever and we'll all wonder what could have been :cry:

No, but whoever throws the ball to Moss should be all set. He's a monster no matter who the QB is, as long as they can get him the ball.

The Intimidator
01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
No, but whoever throws the ball to Moss should be all set. He's a monster no matter who the QB is, as long as they can get him the ball.

Today's obvious statement of the day is brought to you by cclipper44! :p

futureheisman
01-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Mel Kiper has us taking Brian Cushing out of USC but has players like Michael Oher and Michael Johnson falling to late in the first round. I would love to see Hoer fall in our lap.

Ewagner
01-26-2009, 03:48 PM
i don't think cushing is going to fall that far. he had a great preformace in the senior bowl. i have seen him from 13th to 23rd. he would be a great pickup for the patriots

The Intimidator
01-26-2009, 05:24 PM
I could see Cushing falling that far, just because of the better linebackers who are ahead of him. If you take that, along with the fact that teams have other needs, into consideration, then there's a great possibility that Cushing falls to the Pats. Whether or not we take him is another issue.

futureheisman
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
I really hopes he drops there. I think he has all the skills to be a very good Lb at the next level. A few guys who Kiper said that he thought would drop are Michael Oher and Michael Johnson. He has BC NT B.J Raji being taken 4th overall.

Ewagner
01-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I could see Cushing falling that far, just because of the better linebackers who are ahead of him. If you take that, along with the fact that teams have other needs, into consideration, then there's a great possibility that Cushing falls to the Pats. Whether or not we take him is another issue.

i think the more people watch cushing on film the more you are going to hear his name moving up. this guy is a good olb. believe me i am hoping he is there. i do believe if he is there the patriots will take him. i don't really see another player that we would take ahead of him unless someone really drops like James Laurinaitis. if cushings is gone i could see them moving back and selecting OG duke robinson. that would give us one of the most dominate interior lines in the league

futureheisman
01-30-2009, 11:22 AM
we have two 2nd rounders we could possibly trade up for a guy like Brian Cushing

Crickr
01-30-2009, 01:25 PM
we have two 2nd rounders we could possibly trade up for a guy like Brian Cushing

I really would doubt that BB will give up 2 2nd rounders to move up in the draft.

The Intimidator
01-30-2009, 01:42 PM
I really would doubt that BB will give up 2 2nd rounders to move up in the draft.

Agreed. The second round is full of talented players who have either just missed the cut or have been overlooked by scouts. Belichick knows the value of second and third round picks, and will almost definitely keep them.

griff141
01-30-2009, 02:24 PM
A few mocks have us selecting Aaron Maybin, I don't know much about the guy but I'm not really a big fan of the OLB/DE hybrids.

Ewagner
01-30-2009, 02:45 PM
i can see brian cushing being our first pick. he is my new man crush pick for the first round. i know longer am a fan of James Laurinaitis. he is not projected well for the 3-4.
i think there is a better chance of the patriots moving back and picking up additional middle round picks than moving forward. there is a lot of talent in the middle rounds.

The Intimidator
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM
i can see brian cushing being our first pick. he is my new man crush pick for the first round. i know longer am a fan of James Laurinaitis. he is not projected well for the 3-4.
i think there is a better chance of the patriots moving back and picking up additional middle round picks than moving forward. there is a lot of talent in the middle rounds.

Glad to hear that you aren't a fan of Laurinaitis anymore, seeing that we weren't going to draft him anyways.

futureheisman
01-30-2009, 04:40 PM
not giving up both of them maybe one of them

The Intimidator
02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
The Patriots officially announced the latest moves in respect to their Coaching Staff yesterday. As expected, Bill O'Brien has been named QB Coach and Scott O'Brien has been hired as Special Teams Coach. The new move that was announced, however, is that Josh Boyer has been promoted to Defensive Backs Coach. He was a Coaching Assistant for the past 3 seasons with the team.

http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=36233&pcid=47&rss=1

The Intimidator
02-05-2009, 06:34 PM
The Patriots continue to make news. As expected, they have officially placed the Franchise Tag on QB Matt Cassel. Here's the link: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/patriots_franch.html

astavria
02-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Anyone interested in Ray Lewis coming to the Pats? He would be a great addition and help out Mayo progress even further.

griff141
02-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Anyone interested in Ray Lewis coming to the Pats? He would be a great addition and help out Mayo progress even further.

He's too old and too expensive. We need youth on D. I know its hard to pass up these great players but they are on the downside of their respective careers.

TheRedMarauder
02-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Vince Wilfork, entering the final year of a six-year deal, still hasn't heard from the Patriots regarding a contract extension.

Unless the Pats trade or rework Matt Cassel's deal, they're going to have trouble negotiating with the 22 players that will be free agents after the 2009 season.

rotoworld

griff141
02-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Speaking on Howard Stern's Sirius Radio show Wednesday, Patriots owner Bob Kraft confirmed that Tom Brady "is our guy" even if Brady struggles early next season.
Asked by co-host Robin Quivers what's wrong with Brady, Kraft said "I don't think anything is wrong with him. He tore his ACL." Stern spent much of the interview trying to get Kraft to say Brady's relationship with Gisele might be affecting him, but the owner didn't bite. We applaud Kraft's bravery for going on Stern, and thank him for letting us mention Quivers in a post.

Rotoworld

The Intimidator
02-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Why is Robert Kraft agreeing to interviews on the Howard Stern Show?

TheRedMarauder
02-15-2009, 11:09 PM
The Patriots elevated coaching assistant Shane Waldron to be the team's new tight ends coach.

He joined the Patriots staff last season after three years at Notre Dame as a graduate assistant under former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
02-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Looks like we still have a connection to Charlie Weis, even 4 years after his departure.

DaaBoTownSox
02-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Looks like we still have a connection to Charlie Weis, even 4 years after his departure.

Think there's a shot of him returning if things don't work out this year at ND?

The Intimidator
02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Think there's a shot of him returning if things don't work out this year at ND?

Ehh...I don't know. This is certainly a make-or-break year for him in South Bend, that's for sure. This year's team is almost completely made up of his own recruits and transfers, so he has no excuses if he doesn't win. If it doesn't work out and he's fired, I'm sure we would be a preferred destination for him.

chomaru
02-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Why is Robert Kraft agreeing to interviews on the Howard Stern Show?

he is a huge fan

chomaru
02-17-2009, 01:27 PM
anyone think Fred Taylor is worth a look on the cheap?

The Intimidator
02-17-2009, 02:00 PM
anyone think Fred Taylor is worth a look on the cheap?

He wants to start, so that kind of eliminates us. I'm not sure he wants to be a part of the 4 back system we seem to have put in place. Plus, we have enough fragile running backs as it is.

chomaru
02-17-2009, 03:44 PM
He wants to start, so that kind of eliminates us. I'm not sure he wants to be a part of the 4 back system we seem to have put in place. Plus, we have enough fragile running backs as it is.

no chance he gets a starting job, but your right we are pretty stacked at RB, Id kinda like to get Jordan back next season tho..

Im prolly in the minority here but I think Maroney is gonna have a monster year next season... but then again I also think the same about Watson...

The Intimidator
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
no chance he gets a starting job, but your right we are pretty stacked at RB, Id kinda like to get Jordan back next season tho..

Im prolly in the minority here but I think Maroney is gonna have a monster year next season... but then again I also think the same about Watson...

I think there's a better chance of Jordan being retained than someone like Taylor being brought in. And I hope that you're right about Maroney, although my hopes aren't really that high.

chomaru
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
I think there's a better chance of Jordan being retained than someone like Taylor being brought in. And I hope that you're right about Maroney, although my hopes aren't really that high.

Its all about staying healthy my man, same with Watson, I feel like our medical staff babies our top draft picks until the contract year so if they get minor bumps they will play through them this season. Maroney has shown he can be scary when he is healthy and even tho Baggs is anti Watson he is still a specimen.

griff141
02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Tom Brady (ACL, MCL surgery) told reporters at a charity event Wednesday that he sees "no reason why" he wouldn't be ready for Week 1 in 2009.
"Everything is progressing just as I expected," he said. Brady admits he had setbacks after his initial October 8 surgery, but said "Since then, there has been nothing (wrong)." Brady added that he's been "playing quarterback" and "golfing" without incident. Asked his status if training camp began today, he said "Iíd be ready, but I donít know if my trainer would (feel that way)." Matt Cassel will be far more trade-able if Brady's comments are true.

Rotoworld

The Intimidator
02-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Rotoworld

:clap:

poppa12645
02-18-2009, 04:06 PM
So where does Cassel go and what do we get for him??
Teams that have shown interest: Vikings Chiefs 49ers Jets Lions (though I heard Duante signed a contract ext. today)
Stretch: Bears Panthers Buccaneers Titans

The Intimidator
02-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Here's the full article about Brady's progression: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/tom_brady_part.html

JMDTM
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Maybin in the 1st. The guy is a monster. Imagine a Demarcus Ware type player coming off the edge here. Thats what Maybin can bring to the table. He is fast, and like someone mentioned, he has the frame to put a few more pounds on and keep his speed, if its neccessary. I would love to see you guys send Cassell to Detroit for there 1st as well. With that id take a look at Brandon Pettigrew. He would be there and that would be insane to put a weapon like that on your offense. Look at 1 guy in FA: Kelvin Hayden.
In the 2nd rd draft Shonn Green at RB and Andy Levitre at OG. this offseason, and the comeback of Brady...lets just say it spells out superbowl

poppa12645
02-18-2009, 08:21 PM
What do you guys think is going to happen with Gaffeny? do we replace him?? FA or rookie

TheRedMarauder
02-18-2009, 11:08 PM
Patriots signed TE Brad Listorti.

It's often made a big deal when the Jets sign ex-Patriots, but New England does it just as much. Listorti served two stints on the Jets' practice squad last season. He's a huge long shot to make the Pats' final 53.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
02-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Not that I expected him to wind up in Foxboro, but Patriots fans can officially cross Asomugha off their wish lists. He has re-signed with the Raiders for 3 years. Here's a link: http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_11740905

It's a pretty astounding deal. He would have been a complete moron not to sign on the dotted line.

griff141
02-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Not that I expected him to wind up in Foxboro, but Patriots fans can officially cross Asomugha off their wish lists. He has re-signed with the Raiders for 3 years. Here's a link: http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_11740905

It's a pretty astounding deal. He would have been a complete moron not to sign on the dotted line.

Yeah that's more money than I'd be willing to spend for his services.

The Intimidator
02-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah that's more money than I'd be willing to spend for his services.

To say the least.

TheRedMarauder
02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Florida TE Cornelius Ingram said Friday that he hopes to be drafted by the Patriots.

Florida coach Urban Meyer has close ties to Pats coach Bill Belichick. With the Pats souring a bit on Ben Watson, they could be targeting a mid-round tight end in this year's draft.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-21-2009, 02:31 PM
The Patriots and Vince Wilfork have restarted contract extension discussions.

It sounds like Wilfork's public plea that he wanted talks to start worked. "I don’t care if nothing moves. I just wanted to communicate," Wilfork said. Other than solving their quarterback position, Wilfork is probably the team's biggest priority.

rotoworld

poppa12645
02-21-2009, 07:34 PM

It sounds like Wilfork's public plea that he wanted talks to start worked. "I donít care if nothing moves. I just wanted to communicate," Wilfork said. Other than solving their quarterback position, Wilfork is probably the team's biggest priority.

rotoworld
This is good I hope they hammer this out quickly

DaaBoTownSox
02-22-2009, 04:19 AM
This is good I hope they hammer this out quickly

It's never quick, but I agree that I hope they hammer it out eventually.

The Intimidator
02-22-2009, 02:08 PM

It sounds like Wilfork's public plea that he wanted talks to start worked. "I donít care if nothing moves. I just wanted to communicate," Wilfork said. Other than solving their quarterback position, Wilfork is probably the team's biggest priority.

rotoworld

Good news. Signing Vince long-term is an absolute priority. Great DT's are really hard to find.

kbjohnson26
02-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Florida TE Cornelius Ingram said Friday that he hopes to be drafted by the Patriots.

Florida coach Urban Meyer has close ties to Pats coach Bill Belichick. With the Pats souring a bit on Ben Watson, they could be targeting a mid-round tight end in this year's draft.

rotoworld

He was considered first round talent until he hurt himself and missed all of 08. If the chips fall the right way, I think he could be a really good addition.

griff141
02-24-2009, 08:10 PM
I was just reading that QB Damon Huard was released by the Chiefs. If Cassel is traded, does anyone think we might bring in Huard as a cheap insurance policy just in case Brady isn't 100%? It makes sense because he was in our system and knows the offense, granted it's changed quite a bit.

poppa12645
02-24-2009, 10:54 PM
maybe, maybe not I guess him an O'Connell can battle it out but I think O'Connell wins this Battle easily

The Intimidator
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
The Patriots have continued to bolster their coaching staff, along with their front office personnel.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/02/26/patriots_bolster_staff/

TheRedMarauder
02-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Patriots agreed to terms with ILB Eric Alexander on a one-year, $620,000 deal.

It also includes undisclosed workout bonuses. A former undrafted free agent, Alexander is strictly a special teamer. He spent most of last season on injured reserve.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
02-27-2009, 10:03 AM
The Patriots extended a second-round restricted free agent tender to OLB Pierre Woods.

Woods, who went undrafted in '07, is a capable special teamer/backup but has just one sack in three seasons. He can collect $1.545M in 2009 salary.

rotoworld

bagwell368
02-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Something is fishy. There is no way you give a $1.545M salary to a guy for being a special teamer.... but a team would have to be nuts to give up a 2nd for him. Of course could be for a deal - like you can have him for a 4th or 5th.

bagwell368
02-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Reiss:

Free-agent Patriots WR Jabar Gaffney is scheduled to visit the Denver Broncos today.

The website profootballtalk.com first reported the Broncos' plans with Gaffney, and those plans have since been confirmed by the Boston Globe.

I think he is gone, another Pats WR signed for crazy money that will do nothing.

bagwell368
02-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Unless we clear Cassel soon, we may miss some FA's and we may lose a guy like Mike Wright, because we are 2nd lowest in cap space today, with only $3.2M available.

The Intimidator
02-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Unless we clear Cassel soon, we may miss some FA's and we may lose a guy like Mike Wright, because we are 2nd lowest in cap space today, with only $3.2M available.

Yeah, I hear you. Honestly, I think the Patriots were surprised that Cassel accepted the franchise tag so quickly, rather than searching for a deal elsewhere. If he hadn't accepted the tag yet, we would have the cap space to re-sign some of our guys, and go after a decent free agent.

Wake's Fastball
02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Something is fishy. There is no way you give a $1.545M salary to a guy for being a special teamer.... but a team would have to be nuts to give up a 2nd for him. Of course could be for a deal - like you can have him for a 4th or 5th.

Well if he was given a lower tender, someone else probably scoops in and signs him. He's a solid player, and given our lack of LB depth, isn't the worst signing in the world.

Sportfan
02-27-2009, 07:35 PM
didnt think this deserves it's on thread but in the NFL forum in there was a thread that said cassell was traded to the bucs for 19th pick and a 2nd.
IMO great trade for us if true

Crickr
02-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Adam Schefter
Broncos add WR Gaffney, S Hill
Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Denver Broncos, Jabar Gaffney, Josh McDaniels, Renaldo Hill

When Denver wanted reinforcements, it turned to the AFC East, the division that produced Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.

Denver signed former Patriots wide receiver Jabar Gaffney to a four-year, $10 million deal that includes $3 million guaranteed.

The Intimidator
02-27-2009, 08:10 PM
Yup, Gaffney's gone. Looks like we'll draft a 3rd WR or sign someone to take his place.

bagwell368
02-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm more worried about replacing Paxton then Gaffney. Gaffney will be another in a long line of x Pat WR's that do nothing but soil their pants for other teams, serves them right!

griff141
02-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Does anyone know if that report that Cassel is being traded to the Bucs is bogus or not? I haven't seen anything on any websites

Crickr
02-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know if that report that Cassel is being traded to the Bucs is bogus or not? I haven't seen anything on any websites

It was bogus.

The Intimidator
02-28-2009, 11:40 AM

Yeah, that wasn't true.

The Intimidator
02-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm more worried about replacing Paxton then Gaffney. Gaffney will be another in a long line of x Pat WR's that do nothing but soil their pants for other teams, serves them right!

Yeah, I can't say that I was surprised to see McDaniels go after Patriot players in free agency, but I was surprised that the Broncos gave Paxton a 5 year deal. That's a bit unheard of for a long snapper.

Sportfan
02-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Yeah, that wasn't true.

well that sucks. that was a GREAT deal for us IMO

Lasportsfan345
02-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Lveraus Coles could be a good option to take the 3rd WR option.

The Intimidator
03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Lveraus Coles could be a good option to take the 3rd WR option.

He wouldn't be my first choice, especially because he might be looking for a more prominent position, but it's a definite possibility.

Faneik
03-02-2009, 03:10 PM
nvm

TheRedMarauder
03-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Randy Moss agreed to a minor restructuring of his contract to help the Patriots sign Fred Taylor and Chris Baker.

The Pats took $1.5 million of Moss' 2009 salary and converted it to a bonus. Though it freed up money for this year, it will increase Moss' cap charge for 2010.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Randy Moss agreed to a minor restructuring of his contract to help the Patriots sign Fred Taylor and Chris Baker.

The Pats took $1.5 million of Moss' 2009 salary and converted it to a bonus. Though it freed up money for this year, it will increase Moss' cap charge for 2010.

rotoworld

Just another example of how Randy has become a model citizen since coming to New England. Belichick instills a great philosophy here in New England.

Vincent33
03-03-2009, 01:19 AM

Well there's always Sean Griffin out of Mich or Jacob Ingram from Hawaii to replace Paxton! :dance2:

brillz90
03-03-2009, 02:44 AM
now that the chargers are trying to trade cromartie do u guys think the pats are going to try to go after him

The Intimidator
03-03-2009, 09:33 AM
now that the chargers are trying to trade cromartie do u guys think the pats are going to try to go after him

They might look into it, but I wouldn't offer more than the 34th pick and maybe a conditional in next year's draft. If San Diego doesn't bite on that, then I would move on.

TheRedMarauder
03-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Patriots waived DE/OLB Darrell Robertson.

The Georgia Tech defensive end was being tried at outside 'backer, but didn't have the wheels. The Pats will likely draft a pass-rushing OLB in April.

Free agent LB Heath Farwell is believed to be visiting with the Patriots.

Farwell, who missed all of last season with a torn ACL, could replace free agent Larry Izzo for the Pats. Farwell wouldn't play defense in New England.

rotoworld

Sportfan
03-03-2009, 07:26 PM
nothing too important just fillers

Sportfan
03-03-2009, 07:29 PM
They might look into it, but I wouldn't offer more than the 34th pick and maybe a conditional in next year's draft. If San Diego doesn't bite on that, then I would move on.

i asked someone in the chargers forum what it would take to get cromartie and he said they would gladly do cromartie for the 34th pick straght up or SD's original 2nd plus a mid-round pick(like a 5th) i know they aren's the GM of the chargers but the idea isnt too far-fetched

The Intimidator
03-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Free agent CB/return man Chris Carr is set to visit the Patriots on Thursday.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090304/SPORTS01/90304047/1027

Branwegner84
03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
I hope they do something in FA cause the big names are dropping fast and there is a lot holes to fill on defense. The draft will not be able to fill all the holes.

Vincent33
03-05-2009, 01:11 AM
How about this idea for a possible 3rd option at WR:

Lance Moore was given a second-round tag as a restricted free agent. The team has right of first refusal or gains the compensation in return.

I think New Orleans is pretty tight on money and if New England pulls what they did when they got Welker from Miami (2nd and 7th round picks), I think the Saints would take it. Moore is a budding star and would take over for Moss once he retires or is no longer on the team.

Thoughts?

poppa12645
03-05-2009, 10:56 AM
I think there is tons of value in the second round and we have too many holes to fill on defense. So I think its a bad idea

Wake's Fastball
03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
How about this idea for a possible 3rd option at WR:

Lance Moore was given a second-round tag as a restricted free agent. The team has right of first refusal or gains the compensation in return.

I think New Orleans is pretty tight on money and if New England pulls what they did when they got Welker from Miami (2nd and 7th round picks), I think the Saints would take it. Moore is a budding star and would take over for Moss once he retires or is no longer on the team.

Thoughts?

Don't really love Moore.

Vincent33
03-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe b/c I had Moore on my fantasy team last year, this struck a nerve, but I am completely behind whatever B.B. and Co. do in the draft/FA. Just trying to build my case on the very long shot at acquiring Moore.

He caught about 80 passes for over 900yds w/ 10TD. He's only 25 and has great hands and runs his routes really well. Instead of doing a one year deal with someone like Galloway, the Pats could sign this kid to long term and be set for the rest of Brady's career at WR. Giving up one of the 2nd round choices wouldn't hurt the Patriots that much anyways. Besides Mayo, they haven't picked really well on the defensive side the past couple of years.

2008: Mayo, Wheatley, Crable...still too early to tell but apparently B.B. is going to draft CB and LB anyways.

2007: (4th-6th rds)Kareem Brown, Justin Rogers, Mike Richardson

2006: No defensive players selected until 6th round

2005: Hobbs and James Sanders. Hobbs hasn't really panned out as a #1 CB and Sanders is not the answer to replace Harrison

Pats can trade one of the 2nd rounders and still draft three probable starters on the defense, plus get a young stud at WR.

Okay, I've had my say on this matter and will move on. :)

TheRedMarauder
03-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Free agent C/G Al Johnson will visit with the Patriots Thursday night.

Johnson, 30, has bad knees but New England is searching for versatile depth on the interior line. He'd likely only compete for a 53-man roster spot.

rotoworld

lebert32
03-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Def wins championships (or brady to moss) I wanna see the BB D from a couple years ago come back into play

TheRedMarauder
03-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Patriots re-signed P Chris Hanson.

Hanson finished 2008 just 18th in net average, but has the Foxboro elements to deal with and put an outstanding 44% of his punts inside opponents' 20-yard line. Tom Malone probably won't give Hanson much of a run in camp.

rotoworld

Sportfan
03-07-2009, 08:17 PM
does anyone else think that had we not signed fred taylor we would be paying a lot of attention to the San Diego/LT contract issues? with our money we would be able to sign him but with taylor i dont think so anymore

poppa12645
03-07-2009, 09:43 PM
naahh I dont think we would be in the mix there would a lot of money getting thrown his way and too many teams asking for his services ......plus this team is very disrespectful and I think it stems from the head coach:D

bagwell368
03-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm starting to think we will sign Jason Taylor for short money for a year. That takes a lot of pressure off any OLB getting drafted high for pressure on the passer. Taylor wants a ring. BB and Brady love the guy. Serve him up.

I think we may snag a WR in FA as well. Nothing fancy. 33-34 year old vet type

Because BB has so many chips to play with this year, I see a move up the board (maybe two) between #12 and #90. DE's are hard to find and we need one. Next year after winning the SB, hard to find one at #32. I think BB will go for a DE early because I'm more convinced then ever that Seymour (and perhaps Green) are gone after '10, and DE take a while to learn.

Either a ILB, OLB, or LT with the next pick - maybe two

I sniff a backup NT getting drafted with whatever is our 4th pick - 110-150 range.

S (kick butt guys in the 4th round I swear), RB (Faulk replacement), CB (a prayer, BB will snag another CB castoff with 8 days left before opening day) positions round it out.

Wake's Fastball
03-08-2009, 10:12 PM
does anyone else think that had we not signed fred taylor we would be paying a lot of attention to the San Diego/LT contract issues? with our money we would be able to sign him but with taylor i dont think so anymore

No. After all the drama LT has created about the Patriots over the years, it's difficult to imagine he'd come here.

bagwell368
03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
No, no LT, too much money, doesn't fit, washed up or nearly so.

doesntmatter1
03-09-2009, 09:43 AM
i was just thinking. We lost our tight end coach this offseason and he has been with the team since 2005. I think losing him might be a good thing because our tight end group has been really inconsistent since 2005. I remember our group used to really be solid back in the day when we had fauria and graham.

We lost dom capers this year, but that can't be a big loss since our secondary was actually worse than the 05 season and we had people like mike stone playing that year.

We lost pioli. He has made some of the most genius acquisitions(moss,welker,ect) but he has messed up more in recent times. The 07 draft was all cut besides merriweather. And he usually doesn't mess up on the day one draft picks but look at the 06 draft. He chose two injury prone players in maroney and chad jackson. I was sad to not see Jackson last year because he made plays when he was on the field but he was always hurt. His hamstring problems plagued him in college and continued with the pats then he tore his acl. I wonder how much longer the pats will hold on to maroney. He's good but made of glass. I wonder if the new gm will draft a sturdy back this year. Also look at pioli's attempt last year to fill samuel's void: Dealtha Oneal=hate him so much and Fernando Bryant too. What about when he brought in duane starks and tory james. Maybe it was about time we got a new guy to bring in players.

We got shawn springs. He can actually still play. I watched a few redskin games last year and i also seen him dominate T.O.

So i think this is the beginning of a beatiful thing. One last input i still love harrison and he can still shutdown tight ends but he is going to retire and we still need a more physical safety and sanders is not a big hitter neither is merriweather but merriweather has excellent coverage skills so i cant hate on him. We need a new defensive coordinator maybe even bring back crennel because our defense has not been vicious ever since he left. We dont attack, we use that bend but don't break crap that mangini started in 2005 still.

brillz90
03-10-2009, 08:36 PM
The pats should try to go after cato june he is only 27 and he isshort but he can still can play

There are alot ofsafties still out there darren shapper dawan landry and roy williams the could realy update our secondary with 1 or 2 of them
We got bodden and springs that was a good start

We need a good kick returner joey galloway is still a free agent and he could be our 3erd WR and the whole speed thing could take alil presure off of moss

chomaru
03-11-2009, 07:55 PM
No, no LT, too much money, doesn't fit, washed up or nearly so.

agree with the too much money/not a fit but its foolish to say he is washed up...

anyone else think the Pats offseason is looking a lot like the Sox so far?

Sportfan
03-12-2009, 09:41 PM
well it looks like he's staying with the chargers anyway

ftball53
03-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Think theres a chance you guys draft Andre Smith? He might fall down draft boards, he has talent but motivation is the problem. He did well under Saban so BB shouldn't be any different.

lebert32
03-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Only if he can fix his "ta tas"

Did you see those things? Honestly!!!! He ran the 40 without a shirt on...ewwwwwwww

The Intimidator
03-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Think theres a chance you guys draft Andre Smith? He might fall down draft boards, he has talent but motivation is the problem. He did well under Saban so BB shouldn't be any different.

I'm not sure I could see him falling into the 20's. Even with his attitude, he's one of the three best offensive linemen in this draft. You never know, though. If he's there at 23 and Belichick has talked to Saban about him, maybe something gets done. I doubt it, though.

brillz90
03-13-2009, 01:34 PM
the pats should get cushing if he is still around at 23

poppa12645
03-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Cushing would be a great pick up but he is gone before we pick

bagwell368
03-16-2009, 08:22 AM
agree with the too much money/not a fit but its foolish to say he is washed up...

Foolish? I said washed up or nearly so. No sir, I stand by what I wrote. If you want to judge his seasons by roto numbers I bet that he never puts up another season that sits in his top 5. If he still wants nice money - say $18M for 3 years, with 1/2 upfront, he'll never earn it - that is washed up (or at the very least a poor value proposition) in my book. BB's as well.

As I wrote on PSD back around 11/08, LT will be 30 in June. Few backs with as much mileage as he has ever have great years after age 30. I provided about a dozen random cases of high use backs, that had led the league in rushing at least once - runners going back to Jim Brown to support my thesis. Only light use backs (or guys that switched to that type of use) - 12 carries, 5 throw per game types lasted very long in their 30's.

Last year he carried for his least yards per carry since his rookie year, and carried for the first time for under 1200 yards in a season. He has an ongoing toe problem.

I think he's got less then 3k yards left in him. If he got 3000 the rest of his career, it would represent 20.3% of his career yardage. So that would make him: washed up, or nearly washed up, and not any sort of deal to be messing with.

bagwell368
03-16-2009, 08:23 AM
The pats should try to go after cato june he is only 27 and he isshort but he can still can play

Cato is much too small for the Pats

chomaru
03-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Foolish? I said washed up or nearly so. No sir, I stand by what I wrote. If you want to judge his seasons by roto numbers I bet that he never puts up another season that sits in his top 5. If he still wants nice money - say $18M for 3 years, with 1/2 upfront, he'll never earn it - that is washed up (or at the very least a poor value proposition) in my book. BB's as well.

As I wrote on PSD back around 11/08, LT will be 30 in June. Few backs with as much mileage as he has ever have great years after age 30. I provided about a dozen random cases of high use backs, that had led the league in rushing at least once - runners going back to Jim Brown to support my thesis. Only light use backs (or guys that switched to that type of use) - 12 carries, 5 throw per game types lasted very long in their 30's.

Last year he carried for his least yards per carry since his rookie year, and carried for the first time for under 1200 yards in a season. He has an ongoing toe problem.

I think he's got less then 3k yards left in him. If he got 3000 the rest of his career, it would represent 20.3% of his career yardage. So that would make him: washed up, or nearly washed up, and not any sort of deal to be messing with.

I wasnt saying we should go after him (not a fan personally), just that we have different ideas of what washed up means, I consider that term to mean he wont be able to contribute any more/wont be able to find a job.

Lets not forget he has name recognition/star power (Edge anyone?), some team will give him a deal if he is a couple k short of Emmit. The fact that he openly came out saying he is shooting for Emmit's record makes me feel like that is his brass ring.

Also Im wondering if you think he has 3k rushing or all purpose yards left in him. Last year he had 1500+ APY. Im not sure if Id consider a guy who is likely to put up at least 1300 APY and 6-8 td's for a couple more years as being washed up just bc he use to be superman.

bagwell368
03-16-2009, 02:18 PM
I wasnt saying we should go after him (not a fan personally), just that we have different ideas of what washed up means, I consider that term to mean he wont be able to contribute any more/wont be able to find a job.

Lets not forget he has name recognition/star power (Edge anyone?), some team will give him a deal if he is a couple k short of Emmit. The fact that he openly came out saying he is shooting for Emmit's record makes me feel like that is his brass ring.

Also Im wondering if you think he has 3k rushing or all purpose yards left in him. Last year he had 1500+ APY. Im not sure if Id consider a guy who is likely to put up at least 1300 APY and 6-8 td's for a couple more years as being washed up just bc he use to be superman.

fair enough, our terms are different.

I was talking rushing yards, and yeah, you may hit the nail. If he can cut his carries into the 230 a year area from the 320 he does usually, and adds another 40 catches a year, he could come up with seasons that were say 900 + 700 = 1600 APY, and I would have to say that was positive. OTOH, if the team gets sell outs and does well merchandising, he may not bring much to a team if his price tag is high.

Even he does have two years of 1600 APY, I think after that it's all crap shot time.

Also, I seem to recall that he doesn't do that well after Dec 1st under 32 degress in the open, not a good thing for the Pats.

chomaru
03-16-2009, 02:26 PM
fair enough, our terms are different.

I was talking rushing yards, and yeah, you may hit the nail. If he can cut his carries into the 230 a year area from the 320 he does usually, and adds another 40 catches a year, he could come up with seasons that were say 900 + 700 = 1600 APY, and I would have to say that was positive. OTOH, if the team gets sell outs and does well merchandising, he may not bring much to a team if his price tag is high.

Even he does have two years of 1600 APY, I think after that it's all crap shot time.

Also, I seem to recall that he doesn't do that well after Dec 1st under 32 degress in the open, not a good thing for the Pats.

lol he would be awesome in the Tour de France tho

Super.
03-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Theo + BB = GOD

Patsfan56
03-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Theo + BB = GOD

Superdude- that is hilarious. When I was a little kid back in the 70s I had a pair of hand-me-down jeans with "SUPERDUDE" spelled down the leg. That is until my older brothrs ripped the "e" off leaving "SUPERDUD". Oh well.

Every time I see your posts it makes me think of that. :p

Sportfan
03-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Theo + BB = GOD

i agree with this statement :nod:

TheRedMarauder
03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Patriots signed OL Damane Duckett, formerly of the 49ers.

Duckett offers some athletic ability, but is still a project at 28 years old. It would be a small surprise if he made New England's 53-man roster.

rotoworld

bagwell368
03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
ESPN's Mel Kiper says he "keeps hearing New England" in discussions about West Virginia QB Pat White.
Kiper suggests that the Patriots will give White a long look in round two. White recently worked out for New England as a wide receiver and quarterback.

Har har, take White off the draft list, BB never goes public on guys he really likes.

bagwell368
03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Patriots CB Terrence Wheatley (wrist surgery) is participating in the team's offseason program.
The second-year corner appears to be fully recovered from November wrist surgery, but he's been pushed down the depth by the signings of veterans Shawn Springs and Leigh Bodden.

Good news....

bagwell368
03-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Patriots coach Bill Belichick expressed confidence in backup QB Kevin O'Connell Tuesday.
Belichick noted that O'Connell's development was aided by taking snaps as the No. 2 quarterback last season and said the 2008 third-rounder "came along well." The Pats may still elect to sign a veteran backup as insurance.

hmm... BB will get a vet if the price is OK... Too young yet to take over.

MVPedroia
03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
I love O'Connell.

He was a great pickup

thebusnotjerome
03-27-2009, 01:03 PM
It seems to me that going into the beginning of the offseason, the Pats weren't really pleased with who was on the market. The Pats so far have added 9 new faces to the roster along with 9 old faces who remain on the roster. But as I was looking at the 9 news faces I noticed something interesting. Out of the 8 new players (with the exception of Greg Lewis who was acquired via trade) only 2 of them were free agents at the beginning of the offseason and those two players were C Al Johnson and DT Damane Duckett. The other 6 were released during the offseason due to salary cap issues: Chris Baker released from the Jets, Tully Banta-Cain released from the 49ers, Leigh Bodden released from the Lions, Joey Galloway released from the Bucs, Nathan Hodel released from the Cardinals, Shawn Springs released from the Redskins, and Fred Taylor released from the Jaguars. And the Pats due sign Jason Taylor that would be the 7th player to be released from their 2008 team to sign with the Pats. Just thought I would point that out.

TheRedMarauder
04-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas is progressing well with his rehab of the broken forearm that caused him to miss the 2009 season.

He is expected to be fully ready to participate by the start of training camp.

rotoworld