PDA

View Full Version : The Official New England Patriots Offseason Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

TheRedMarauder
04-07-2009, 12:44 PM
BenJarvus Green-Ellis exhausted his practice squad eligibility by appearing in nine games as an undrafted rookie last season.

He finished with a 3.7 yards per carry average and five touchdowns. BGE will have a hard time making the Pats' roster behind Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, and Laurence Maroney.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
04-07-2009, 01:19 PM
BenJarvus Green-Ellis exhausted his practice squad eligibility by appearing in nine games as an undrafted rookie last season.

He finished with a 3.7 yards per carry average and five touchdowns. BGE will have a hard time making the Pats' roster behind Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk, and Laurence Maroney.

rotoworld

Looks like we've seen the last of "Law Firm."

lebert32
04-07-2009, 01:27 PM
i think its depends if the law firm can contribute on special teams and if we draft a RB. otherwise pract squad.

Crickr
04-07-2009, 07:50 PM
i think its depends if the law firm can contribute on special teams and if we draft a RB. otherwise pract squad.

I don't think he can go the practice squad as he was active for too many gams last season. Read the above from Red Maurauar.

MVPedroia
04-07-2009, 11:36 PM
good I don't like lawfirm.

lebert32
04-08-2009, 08:22 AM
so what, he will have to be cut and resigned...doesnt mean anyone will grab him

The Intimidator
04-08-2009, 08:35 AM

The point is that with Taylor here and with Maroney coming back from injury, there isn't going to be room for Green-Ellis.

penuch
04-08-2009, 08:38 AM

Someone will grab him... Teams are always looking for RB depth and he def proved last year given an opportunity he could he a team out. I guarantee someone will take him.

kbjohnson26
04-08-2009, 09:16 AM
There may still be room for him. With all the RB injuries we continue to have. Training Camp will be interesting.

lebert32
04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
someone might grab him, but RB's are a dime a dozen. TONES OF THEM AVAIL.

bagwell368
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/04/tying_up_loose.html

This came to mind today after reading an entry in the NFL Draft Diary of Auburn defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks in the Montgomery Advertiser.

Marks writes about how he worked out for the Patriots on Monday.

I got hurt at the Combine and wasn't at my best during (Auburn's) Pro Day, so they wanted to make sure I could put up numbers. I improved all my numbers. My hamstring is good now, so I had my acceleration back like it was during the season. The numbers are there.

In this case, the Patriots' private workout with Marks is reflective of how a prior injury affected their evaluation. Now that Marks is healthy, the Patriots were likely updating their information so they could place a final grade on him.

sman1234
04-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Here is a thought how about we sign Roy Williams. I mean he could help out in the secondary so any thoughts?

MVPedroia
04-16-2009, 11:55 PM
did you just say he would help our secondary? No on this guy, he cant do diddly in coverage

STAT OWNS
04-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Might be able to stop the run but won't help on passing downs.

BoTiggle
04-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Nope. He can stop the run, but that's about it. He is horrendous in coverage, AND he doesn't even fit at linebacker.

Too bad though, because the guy hits like a truck.

Ewagner
04-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Something tells me the patriots make a run at him. He may be a dud in coverage but his presence in the secondary can not be over looked. Similar to Harrison, receivers always need to know where he is because he can knock there head off. If the patriots see Bodden returning to his Cleveland form then I can see them taking a flier on him. Bodden is solid in coverage and makes intelligent plays. He seldom lets people get behind him. If he can hold players up, Williams can knock them out. Similar to what Harrison and Asante used to do. A lot also depends on the draft. If they can find a hard hitting safety draft then obviously this goes out the window.

lebert32
04-17-2009, 12:29 PM
No, if they want the pure run stuffer bring back rodney... otherwise leave S be or look into the draft

Sportfan
04-17-2009, 04:03 PM
No this has been said many times before

nng1
04-17-2009, 05:51 PM
Something tells me the patriots make a run at him. He may be a dud in coverage but his presence in the secondary can not be over looked. Similar to Harrison, receivers always need to know where he is because he can knock there head off. If the patriots see Bodden returning to his Cleveland form then I can see them taking a flier on him. Bodden is solid in coverage and makes intelligent plays. He seldom lets people get behind him. If he can hold players up, Williams can knock them out. Similar to what Harrison and Asante used to do. A lot also depends on the draft. If they can find a hard hitting safety draft then obviously this goes out the window.

exactly; for low money I think he'd be a great fit Rodney is probably gonna retire and even if he does he'll have come back from so many injuries i dont think he'll be effective. we have been lacking a hard hitter to put some fear and doubt into the other teams receivers since rodney's decline. he's not gonna be an every down guy so for low-mid money only it would be great imo.

brillz90
04-17-2009, 06:03 PM
i keep hearing every body talkin botu the pats eirther getting brian cushing or rey maualuge...how bout trading 2 of our second rounders for a top 20 pick and we can draft maualuge with that or if aaron curry happens to fall that far take him...then take cushing at 23...and we still would have a 2nd rounder for secondary or even another lb if they wanted...wat do u guys think bout that

poppa12645
04-17-2009, 06:33 PM
We already re-signed an injury prone Safety Tank Willams you want Roy Williams too maybe they both can hold hands on IR

brillz90
04-17-2009, 07:00 PM
i just read that befor the pats traded for moss 2 years ago they could of traded stallworth for johnson....or they could of traded 2 first rounders for him....chad johnson also said the day after the superbowl that he would like to play in new england..we could get him for a 2nd rounder...if the bengals get a wr in the first we could probly get him for a third and another player...i think the pats should think about doing this if the chance came up think abotu it moss and johnson at 1 and 2 wr the welker in the slot agin our offense would be unstopable.

BoSoxGreen18
04-17-2009, 07:47 PM
and gallaway becomes our 4th wideout? I dno... I'd rather see the open cap space go towards defense. the offensive firepower is potent right now with the addition of gallaway and fred taylor. if need be... draft offense

MVPedroia
04-17-2009, 07:50 PM
He wants to be the #1 guy.

No

poppa12645
04-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Cap problems and such! we are mostly good on offense for the starters anyway

bagwell368
04-17-2009, 10:23 PM
too many distractions, entering the downhill phase of his career. Unless a deal is insanely cap friendly no.

Fenwwayfaithful
04-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Has there been any word on Jason Taylor?? I haven't heard anything in a while on him. I really hope he signs here,he would be a very good addition to this imporved defense.

TheRedMarauder
04-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Vince Wilfork says he's pleased with the progress of long-term contract talks with the Patriots.

Wilfork is due just $800K in the last year of his rookie deal. "I believe it’ll work out," he said. "We’ve been in contact the last month or two." Wilfork likely considers Tommie Harris' four-year, $40M deal a baseline.

rotoworld

The Intimidator
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Vince Wilfork says he's pleased with the progress of long-term contract talks with the Patriots.

Wilfork is due just $800K in the last year of his rookie deal. "I believe it’ll work out," he said. "We’ve been in contact the last month or two." Wilfork likely considers Tommie Harris' four-year, $40M deal a baseline.

rotoworld

Hopefully they get this deal done soon. With a new deal, Wilfork will have peace of mind and will definitely be motivated to play well this season.

sneakk
04-21-2009, 01:58 PM
"The Cincinnati Enquirer hears that the Bengals haven't even been offered a third-round pick for Chad Johnson."

ESPN just reported that yet again Chad Johnson wants out, and we also know that hes stated he wanted to be a patriot in 2008.

April of 2007 we made the unexpected trade for randy moss with a 4th rounder.

All I am saying is, its a buyer's market for Chad Ocho Cinco, we have a lot of disposable draft picks, and even though we just signed two WRs, this is Chad Ocho Cinco, easily one of the most talented WRs in the league.

What #2 CB can cover Chad Johnson? It would also mean other teams cant shift their safety's over to Randy's side so much, hel get even more deep/open chances.

Its not like we need him either, if he opens his mouth he can sit on the bench and nobody would give two *****. This is one reason why nobody can **** around with Belicheck.

In summary, id cream myself if we got Ocho Cinco for a third or fourth rounder.

bagwell368
04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Let's gather all the facts before we judge.

#1. What is his contract and cap hit, this year and going forward?

Unless we have an answer to that, the rest of it is just idle speculation w/ cream in your case. :eyebrow:

TheRedMarauder
04-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Patriots signed restricted free agent OLB Pierre Woods to a one-year, $1.545 million contract.

Woods, a former undrafted free agent, would be New England's starting right OLB if the season began today. That's likely to change on draft weekend, or if the Pats sign Jason Taylor. Woods has just one sack in three seasons.

rotoworld

PatsFan2481
04-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Do you guys think the pats will end up making a run at peppers during the draft

Wake's Fastball
04-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Good to see him back. I'd be curious to see him in Vrabel's old, pass-rush exclusive OLB spot.

bwalsh88
04-22-2009, 12:42 AM
nope. it wont happen. salary issues.

bemho73
04-22-2009, 01:06 AM
oh god not another stupid peppers thread

Crickr
04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Enough this needs to be moved to the other thread.

Crickr
04-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Good signing he is a solid backup and possible starter

nng1
04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
isnt that a lot for someone who's a back up and likely not even the first back up at the position? i'd rather give that money(plus more) for JT. I'd be very frustrated if a deal for him ended up coming down to 1 or 2 million after this... wasn't banta-cain supposed to replace him here? and crable is likely going to play more than 0 snaps this year(or at least take a spot on the roster)

TheRedMarauder
04-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Tom Brady (ACL, MCL surgery) is participating in the Patriots' offseason program "without limitation," according to Bill Belichick.

While facing contact and rolling out will be the true test for Brady, his full spring participation can only be a good thing. Sources tell NBC Sports that Brady will wear a knee brace for the rest of his career, but he was a pure pocket passer anyway. His progress will be worth following through August.

rotoworld

bwalsh88
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
BB likes Crable a lot so I expect him to have some role in the defense

MVPedroia
04-22-2009, 02:58 PM
the NFL is ****ed next season.

TFB FTW!

bagwell368
04-22-2009, 04:38 PM
isnt that a lot for someone who's a back up and likely not even the first back up at the position? i'd rather give that money(plus more) for JT. I'd be very frustrated if a deal for him ended up coming down to 1 or 2 million after this... wasn't banta-cain supposed to replace him here? and crable is likely going to play more than 0 snaps this year(or at least take a spot on the roster)

They had to offer him that contract to protect themselves. It's not that far over league minimum. It could somewhat put pressure on Taylor. It could also mean we don't go higher then #47 for a OLB. That's fine with me. I'd love to snag Sintim between 40-47 (yes a small trade up), and load up on tougher positions like OT, DL, CB earlier.

brillz90
04-22-2009, 06:12 PM
i still think we should go for him i mean this would take even more presure of bready to hold on to the ball longer durin plays moss at 1 and johnson at 2 and welker in the slot agin we deff would be going back to the super bowl

MVPedroia
04-22-2009, 11:36 PM
get hooked on phonics^

DaaBoTownSox
04-23-2009, 02:02 AM
Grow Up ^

TheRedMarauder
04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Patriots signed DE Kenny Smith.

Smith didn't make the Patriots out of training camp last year. Going on 32, the former third-round pick is likely just another practice body for the summer.

rotoworld

Wake's Fastball
04-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Tom Brady (ACL, MCL surgery) is participating in the Patriots' offseason program "without limitation," according to Bill Belichick.

While facing contact and rolling out will be the true test for Brady, his full spring participation can only be a good thing. Sources tell NBC Sports that Brady will wear a knee brace for the rest of his career, but he was a pure pocket passer anyway. His progress will be worth following through August.

rotoworld

Brian Urlacher knows otherwise.

Patsfan56
04-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Brian Urlacher knows otherwise.

LOL:clap:

Crickr
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Interesting to say the least

Footeís Departure Clears $2.885 Million In Cap Space
Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2009, 11:46 a.m.
With the Steelers dumping veteran linebacker Larry Foote, the uncharacteristically cap-strapped defending Super Bowl champs will clear $2.885 million in 2009 salary space.

Foote has started every game for five straight years. In 2008, he had his lowest output of that half-decade run, with only 63 tackles and 1.5 sacks.

Lawrence Timmons, a 2007 first-round pick, will be expected to earn and keep one of the starting jobs at inside linebacker. To date, Timmons has been overshadowed by 2007 second-rounder LaMarr Woodley, who has become an impact player on the outside.

And itís a bit surprising that the Steelers are making the move now, two months after the start of the 2009 league year. Cutting Foote in February would have given him a fair chance to participate in the free-agent feeding frenzy.

We also wonder whether the locker room will support the sudden departure of Foote, and whether there might be something more to the story that would make the guys left behind more inclined to accept the move.

bagwell368
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
A Steeler scorned at a bad time could be a very angry bee come the AFC Championship Game.....

Crickr
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
A Steeler scorned at a bad time could be a very angry bee come the AFC Championship Game.....

I know and he is a 3-4 Inside linbacker

Patsfan56
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Do we have the room in the cap to pick him up? Put him in with Mayo and let AT play OLB?

Woah.

The Intimidator
04-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Do we have the room in the cap to pick him up? Put him in with Mayo and let AT play OLB?

Woah.

I'm not sure what the Pats' cap situation is. I'm sure that they'll have to cut a few underachievers in order to sign all of the rookies they feel are worth keeping around, and after that, they might have some room left for a guy like Foote. We'll have to see.

Robertse
04-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Forget Foote! He is from Detroit and wants to sign there. Also, I see a Gem in Gary Guyton and he can only play inside in the 3-4, everyone get on the recently released Travis LaBoy bandwagon he is the perfect hybrid DE/OLB he would be great to our team.

TheRedMarauder
04-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Patriots waived LB Bo Ruud.

Barrett's far less talented little brother would've competed for a job on the inside, but the Pats have numbers there after drafting Tyrone McKenzie in the third round. McKenzie could take Tedy Bruschi's starting job.

rotoworld

bagwell368
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
As of today thank in part to trading the "immortal' Hobbs we are $6.7M under the cap.

Expect cuts of about half of these guys due to cap savings:

Hodel, Neal, Galloway, David Thomas, Britt, Duckett, Banta-Cain, Yates, Levoir, Tank Williams, Al Johnson, Eric Alexander, Le Kevin Smith

don't bark at me because these guys signed contracts that are easy to cut.

PatsChamps2009
04-30-2009, 01:53 PM
i keep forgetting about tank williams.... pats should switch him to linebacker... now that we drafted a good saftey anyone agree?

ZoisKing
04-30-2009, 03:44 PM
As of today thank in part to trading the "immortal' Hobbs we are $6.7M under the cap.

Hodel, Neal, Galloway, David Thomas, Britt, Duckett, Banta-Cain, Yates, Levoir, Tank Williams, Al Johnson, Eric Alexander, Le Kevin Smith

To be truthful, the only guy out of that bunch I would hate to see go is David Thomas. He catches everything thrown his way.

Robertse
05-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Out of those guys who could release. I agree with all but a couple . Hodel is definitely a goner because we used a draft pick to pick up a longsnapper and this guy is only a long snapper so bye bye to him. However, I think Galloway is a lock. He is our number 3 and will be a great one. Last year he was injured but he is still good but old. And rumor is at 37 he is still like a 4.3 forty guy, so when they are doubling the rest , I can already see it,, alot of deep passes for touchdowns to Galloway. I hear Al Johnson is a good lineman when healty so if he is healthy a big if?? And we always have loved Britt. But Britt we picked up alot of FA's and the draft so alot of veterans will be released so The only one I disagree with is Galloway.

Oh PATSCHAMP-before Injured even know he wears a DB number bellichick plans on using Tank Williams as a linebacker. A nickel linebacker. But I agree with Bagwell that he will be released now. Because Until Patrick Chung becomes our starter I think he will play close to the line of scrimmage as be utilized like we would of tank williams last year. But there is still that part of me that sees Tank Williams as kind of a dark horse that could really benefit and do great in our system. He is big and a way better cover man than Roy Williams.

Ewagner
05-04-2009, 08:13 AM

Hodel - agree gone
Neal - release a starting G in the final year of his contract? not realistic
Galloway - 50/50. not a lot of depth a reciever
Thomas - no. meet the new heath evans
Britt, Duckett, Yates, LeVoir, Johnson - Yates and Britt may stay. Johnson is the best of the group. really depends if any of the rookies make the team
Banta-Cain and Alexander - two guys that know the system and a position we are thin at? maybe one but not both. not realistic
Williams and Smith - both will be pushed out by the rookies.

so you said half. 7 guys on this list. Hodel, Duckett, LeVoir, Williams, Smith, Galloway, Johnson

bagwell368
05-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Neal - release a starting G in the final year of his contract? not realistic

His health has been bad, he's not that good to begin with, and they can save a MASSIVE $2,039,440.00 back in cap space if they cut/deal him. It will only cost a reasonable $800k in dead cap space to whack him. I think between the draft and cap cuts from other teams I wouldn't be buying local real estate if I was Neal. Exceptionally realistic IMO - but it's not a slam dunk - until its done. I would argue that Hobbs is as capable or more so at CB then Neal is at OL. So, how much is Neal worth?? No way they sign him past '09 - that is a 100% slam dunk.

Galloway - 50/50. not a lot of depth a reciever

I hope he makes it, but his age has to be a concern until camp is over - at least. $600k dead cap space if traded/cut, and $690k in savings if traded/cut. It would likely be IR is where he ends up if not active. I missed that, I wouldn't have listed him otherwise.

Thomas - no. meet the new heath evans

His blocking is amateur hour. Hochstein is the current FB IMO. Watson (traded) or DT (cut) just seems to make too much sense. Thomas is an BB ego draft moved that failed - he gives up this year or next year.

Banta-Cain and Alexander - two guys that know the system and a position we are thin at? maybe one but not both. not realistic

Well one is all it would take to meet the general count I claimed. The reason I named both of these guys is that the dead cap number for Alexander is 0 dollars (and they get back $160k in cap space - not too big a deal), Banta-Cain is also 0 dollars in dead cap space, and they get back$25k if he is cut.. it's nothing or near nothing, so if they need the roster spot(s), there you go.

bagwell368
05-04-2009, 11:02 AM
i keep forgetting about tank williams.... pats should switch him to linebacker... now that we drafted a good saftey anyone agree?

I'll try anything in camp. But he's the kind of guy to play 12 snaps to give better players a blow - at SS. He is more likely to be injured and be a non factor.

Ewagner
05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
His health has been bad, he's not that good to begin with, and they can save a MASSIVE $2,039,440.00 back in cap space if they cut/deal him. It will only cost a reasonable $800k in dead cap space to whack him. I think between the draft and cap cuts from other teams I wouldn't be buying local real estate if I was Neal. Exceptionally realistic IMO - but it's not a slam dunk - until its done. I would argue that Hobbs is as capable or more so at CB then Neal is at OL. So, how much is Neal worth?? No way they sign him past '09 - that is a 100% slam dunk.

there is no viable replacement. until they sign someone or someone steps up he will not be cut. i agree he will not be resigned.

Ewagner
05-04-2009, 12:03 PM
His blocking is amateur hour. Hochstein is the current FB IMO. Watson (traded) or DT (cut) just seems to make too much sense. Thomas is an BB ego draft moved that failed - he gives up this year or next year.

Hochstien can't catch out of the backfield. thomas gives them another option which is huge. they used to have evans come out of the backfield and line up wide. Hochstien is not capable of doing that. Thomas on the other hand would give them the ability to have multiple looks and brady another option to throw to. IMO, the patriots know thomas can be a servicable blocker and give them that extra element in the passing game. the patriots will still use Hochstien in short yardage situations.

bagwell368
05-04-2009, 02:06 PM
we'll see. many teams do not use FB's so if BB wants a real one, he can probably obtain one for cheap.

Thomas to me is "enh". He doesn't run that well (despite his times), doesn't block well at all. He does catch well, but a 3rd down FB must sometimes check out of the pattern into max protect. He would need some serious maxi pads to go with his current game not to get Brady killed with regularity.

I agree they probably won't "lose" Neal until 2010, unless its IR. But they will be working at replacing him heaviy in camp and in season to see what they have, and for some reason if they need that $2M+ it could happen.

Robertse
05-05-2009, 12:31 AM
Yeah I agree BB does not want a Full-back. Did anyone see how quick all the free-agents found homes and how long it took for the Full-backs to be picked up. I believe Lorenzo neal the best pure blocking full-back is still unsigned. Also, we know Bill likes to pick up players who play good against us and Leonard Weaver formerly of the Seahawks was a free-agent and he played good against the Pats last year . he actually looked like a running back and I believe his deal with the Eagles was for cheap money. I like those Sam Gash type full-backs , it helps the running game immensly, but if BB does not wont one then I am not going to argue his tactics, anyways I think he will use Sammy Morris as our FB, hes the biggest of are five backs and he played FB at miami and Buffalo a little.

Ewagner
05-05-2009, 09:54 AM
I have thought that Morris would be used as a FB also. Thomas just reminds me of a Cooley clone, he has great hands. The one thing BB loves is options more than anything else. He wants to throw 5 guys out there and be able to move them around to confuse the defense. If you put Thomas in the backfield no matter what his role is the defense has to account for him. If you put Hochstein back there it's one less player the defense has to account for and he becomes primarily another blocker. Thomas has good speed and great hands. Morris brings the same qualities as Thomas except he is a better runner and blocker in the backfield. With some coaching I think can become a cheaper option than Morris.

Hey bags, is Morris being cut an option. What would be his cap hit? Not that I want to see that happen just curious.

TheRedMarauder
05-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Patriots signed LB Vinny Ciurciu, formerly of the Vikings.

Ciurciu, 29, will try to make the Patriots as a special teamer and backup at inside linebacker. He isn't a pass rusher and has zero career starts.

Patriots signed DL Stephen Williams, formerly of the Panthers.

At 6'2/306, Williams projects as a defensive end in the Pats' 3-4 scheme. Most likely, the third-year player is just a practice body for the summer.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Patriots waived P Tom Malone.

Chris Hanson would be New England's punter if the season began today.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-06-2009, 03:55 PM
The Patriots appear to have "moved on" from free agent Rodney Harrison.

Harrison has yet to decide if he wants to continue playing, but the Pats' offseason moves at safety could make his decision easier. The team recently signed hard-hitting safety Brandon McGowan after drafting Patrick Chung, leaving them with five safeties in a crowded field.

rotoworld

TheRedMarauder
05-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Jets CB Darrelle Revis says free agent Ty Law is "talking" to the Patriots and Browns about continuing to play.

Both Aliquippa natives, Law was Revis' idol growing up and the two remain close. Law finished '08 with Eric Mangini's Jets. It's hard to imagine New England wanting him, but he could push Brandon McDonald in Cleveland.

rotoworld

Robertse
05-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I do not think we need Ty Law. We already have too much depth at CB and Safety. If we did not draft Chung or pick up McGowen I would say start Law at Safety but we have no use for him. As for the fullback situation talked about above I would like to see us sign a FB , I wanted Leonard Weaver for his rushing ability and blocking. Also, a lorenzo neal type fullback helps the running game immensly and leads to large gains. I do not think we need it during the regular season because we are going to spread the offense with Moss,Welker and Galloway and also Lewis. Then you have Taylor at running back and he can break the long one or Faulk at RB to either block or come out of the backfield as a reciever.

kbjohnson26
05-12-2009, 01:30 PM
I don't think NE runs enough two back sets to use a roster spot on a FB. I think BB will keep plugging OL in that role. They did sign Undrafted FA Kettani. But I'm not sure how everything will work out in regards to him serviing his Military time.

As for Ty Law. I can see him more as a Seau type plug in Player in midseason. If Injuries start mounting.

bagwell368
05-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't think NE runs enough two back sets to use a roster spot on a FB. I think BB will keep plugging OL in that role. They did sign Undrafted FA Kettani. But I'm not sure how everything will work out in regards to him serviing his Military time.

As for Ty Law. I can see him more as a Seau type plug in Player in midseason. If Injuries start mounting.

Agree on Law - at best that is his role here, or just nothing.

We will be carrying more OL/TE's then usual so depending on who is kept and who can do what expect the FB (functionally speaking) to come from there or perhaps a LB/DL.

Wake's Fastball
05-12-2009, 03:10 PM

We will be carrying more OL/TE's then usual so depending on who is kept and who can do what expect the FB (functionally speaking) to come from there or perhaps a LB/DL.

And heck, if all else fails, we've still got Russ Hochstein.

Robertse
05-12-2009, 10:03 PM
And heck, if all else fails, we've still got Russ Hochstein.

Yeah I like Sebastien Vollmer's versatility while he is still learning and mentally growing into the NFL game. He played tight-end along with tackle at Houston despite him being 6'8 310, He has quick feet for such a big guy so I would not be surpised to see him playing a little FB on short yardage plays or goal-line. He is quicker than Hochstein. I do like Vollmers protential as a tackle because the former tight ends usually do well but for now he can help out with his versatility.

Ewagner
05-13-2009, 07:28 AM
i'm going to lay this to bed now because it is ridiculous. Vollmers is not going to be used as a FB. that is the mostridiculous notion. you can not expect a 6'8 guy to come out of the backfield and block. they would just destory his knees. i'm not sure how may of you remember the guy Konrad who came out of syracuse and was drafted by miami, he was a 6'4 FB. he was a beast and i beleive a 3rd round pick. his career was ended because they would just right to his kness to block him. brandon jacobs is another good example of that. RB's and FB's need to small and compact. go youtube the block of MJD on Merriman from two years ago to help you understand the fundementals of a blocking FB or blocking from the FB position.

Crickr
05-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Griese About To Be Cut
Posted by Aaron Wilson on May 13, 2009, 4:29 p.m.
Veteran quarterback Brian Griese is about to find himself on the Tampa Bay Buccaneersí chopping block, according to Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com.

Griese will reportedly be released later this week with final details of his impending departure already being prepared.

Griese, 34, hasnít been participating in this weekís set of organized team activities. And he hasnít attended the offseason conditioning program.

With Griese about to be off the team, the Buccaneers will have four quarterbacks remaining on the roster: Byron Leftwich, first-round pick Josh Freeman, Luke McCown and Josh Johnson.

Per the report, the New England Patriots are a potential destination for Griese as a backup to Tom Brady, a fellow former University of Michigan football alum.

Robertse
05-17-2009, 05:00 AM
i'm going to lay this to bed now because it is ridiculous. Vollmers is not going to be used as a FB. that is the mostridiculous notion. you can not expect a 6'8 guy to come out of the backfield and block. they would just destory his knees. i'm not sure how may of you remember the guy Konrad who came out of syracuse and was drafted by miami, he was a 6'4 FB. he was a beast and i beleive a 3rd round pick. his career was ended because they would just right to his kness to block him. brandon jacobs is another good example of that. RB's and FB's need to small and compact. go youtube the block of MJD on Merriman from two years ago to help you understand the fundementals of a blocking FB or blocking from the FB position.

Rob Konrad-lives one town over for me, he was listed as 6'3 but he was the same height as me 6'2. His career did not end because of his height or anything like that. We had the same Dr., Chiropracter, Bone specialists. Konrad had a history of knee and back problems. It does not matter how tall you are as a running back , it matters how much your knees are bent and you cannot run straight up like a reciever does. The Jones-Drew hit, that stuff happens. I remeber when Asante Samuel knocked Ricky Williams right on his butt coming up the middle once. And were you trying to make some point with Jacobs??? He has become the back bone of their running game and their biggest need for the Giants to sign. Running backs need to run low to the ground -FB's Block- so they can stand more upright. Also, I was not saying Vollmer is going to be our starting FB?? That was never indicated their. Also, I know Voller is 6'8 but he played tight-end. Russ Hochstein the lineman who blocked on short yardage goaline , is 6'4. Vollmer is probably our starting Tackle and I did state if his Back problems or surgery is a concern Belichick is not going to risk hurting him.

kbjohnson26
05-18-2009, 08:57 AM

I think we'll see more teams carry OL/TE's for that purpose. the "true" FB role is a dying breed.

Ewagner
05-18-2009, 10:01 AM
being a FB you must have a low center of gravity. blocking is all about leverage. every point you made feeds my point. Konrad had knee and back problems from trying to get low and being taken out at the knees. Jacobs has never played a full season for the same reasons. MJD's hit on merriman was not a freak thing it is just the most publised. i never thought you were saying he would be our starting FB but the fact you thought he would even be used there is not a good one

Ewagner
05-19-2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/05/17/maroneys_shoulder_injury_was_broken_bone/

really surprised this hasn't been brought up by anyone

Robertse
05-20-2009, 08:39 AM
being a FB you must have a low center of gravity. blocking is all about leverage. every point you made feeds my point. Konrad had knee and back problems from trying to get low and being taken out at the knees. Jacobs has never played a full season for the same reasons. MJD's hit on merriman was not a freak thing it is just the most publised. i never thought you were saying he would be our starting FB but the fact you thought he would even be used there is not a good one

Yeah, i wasnt trying to argue with you or anything and I see you werent either. just some oppinions gone back and forth. I actually wouldnt want to see him blocking there anyways. Playing as a third lineman on one side of the line/Tight end would not be bad but I like to see high draft picks playing where they are suppose to and not risking an injury its just you never know Belichick. I actually would not like to see Darius Butler returning kicks because I think he is going to be a good cornerback and would not want to risk an injury.

griff141
05-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Patriots waived TE Brad Listorti.
The local UMass product was buried behind likely starter Ben Watson, Chris Baker, Alex Smith, David Thomas, and Tyson DeVree on the depth chart.

Patriots waived OL Damane Duckett.
Duckett hasn't developed since converting from defense as a 49er.

Source: Rotoworld

The Intimidator
05-26-2009, 09:46 PM
^^^ Yeah, I don't think anyone saw Listorti making the team after we signed Baker and traded for Smith. I would expect DeVree and David Thomas to be released as well.

Durrrr
05-27-2009, 10:49 PM
Any chance that the Patriots package Adalias Thomas and Jarvis Green along with a Third Round Pick for Julias Peppers?

Angel
05-27-2009, 11:08 PM
I doubt it. I don't think Peppers is coming to New England this year guys.

BlackRain011138
05-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Yeah, the problem with Peppers is the amount of money he is seeking. He wants to be paid bigtime, and rightfully so, he has been a great player for the Panther's organization. But to want to be paid higher than Brady, that is crazy.........as I still cannot accept the Matt Stafford guaranteed contract. All that guaranteed money, and he has not played a down in the NFL regular season yet. Peppers has earned it, as I do not see the Patriots paying him what he wants, as we have Wilfork in the fold for a new contract. I feel Seymour is gone. I rather have the Pats trading for Derrick Burgess compared to Julius Peppers...........that's just me.

griff141
05-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Any chance that the Patriots package Adalias Thomas and Jarvis Green along with a Third Round Pick for Julias Peppers?

No matter what, Peppers is not coming here. He would cost wayyy to much to sign and sending our best OLB and a good backup DE for him is asinine!

Ewagner
05-28-2009, 11:00 AM
^^^ Yeah, I don't think anyone saw Listorti making the team after we signed Baker and traded for Smith. I would expect DeVree and David Thomas to be released as well.

Iím not on the band wagon of David Thomas being released. I still believe he will kept around to be a FB. I believe that is the reason they have not signed a replacement for evans. I would not be surprised to see morris get released. With the taylor signing he seems like an expensive fourth RB. He could play some FB but I think he knows he can be a starter or get more reps with someone else.

bagwell368
05-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah, the problem with Peppers is the amount of money he is seeking. He wants to be paid bigtime, and rightfully so, he has been a great player for the Panther's organization. But to want to be paid higher than Brady, that is crazy.........as I still cannot accept the Matt Stafford guaranteed contract. All that guaranteed money, and he has not played a down in the NFL regular season yet. Peppers has earned it, as I do not see the Patriots paying him what he wants, as we have Wilfork in the fold for a new contract. I feel Seymour is gone. I rather have the Pats trading for Derrick Burgess compared to Julius Peppers...........that's just me.

Nope, paying JP is not the only problem.

The cap hit on trading or cutting AT is $7,260,000.00 which makes it impossible. That means he's gone, and so is the money.

Green's cap hit is $2,900,000.00 - so that means that money would be gone.

So you propose to wipe out over $10M of cap room, lose our best LB, and our 4th best DL, then have to spend $10-15M in cap room to get him. Might as well cut Brady while you are at it.

JP isn't coming, and given the cash and question marks that surround the guy at OLB, he was just eye candy all along.

No.

bagwell368
05-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Iím not on the band wagon of David Thomas being released. I still believe he will kept around to be a FB. I believe that is the reason they have not signed a replacement for evans. I would not be surprised to see morris get released. With the taylor signing he seems like an expensive fourth RB. He could play some FB but I think he knows he can be a starter or get more reps with someone else.

Disagree w/ respect EW. Thomas can't block worth a damn, so actually being a FB isn't possible. Hochstein will continue with that job if he makes the team.

Being an H back? That's possible. Maybe he'll be healthy enough to find out in camp, I don't see it however.

The loss of Morris in '07 is the #1 reason why they lost the SB IMO. Given that Taylor is quite old, BJGE is an OK kid, Maroney is oft injured, and that Faulk is no spring chicken I would be far happier in nailing DT then Morris.

Cutting/trading DT is a $160,189 cap hit, and only saves you $74,440.

Cutting/trading SM is a $750,000 cap hit, and only saves you $65,000.

If it comes down to those two, guess who gets cut??

BlackRain011138
05-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Nope, paying JP is not the only problem.

The cap hit on trading or cutting AT is $7,260,000.00 which makes it impossible. That means he's gone, and so is the money.

Green's cap hit is $2,900,000.00 - so that means that money would be gone.

So you propose to wipe out over $10M of cap room, lose our best LB, and our 4th best DL, then have to spend $10-15M in cap room to get him. Might as well cut Brady while you are at it.

JP isn't coming, and given the cash and question marks that surround the guy at OLB, he was just eye candy all along.

No.

I never proposed trading or cutting Adalius Thomas and wiping out the $10 million dollars in my post. For the Brady cutting comment, I guess that was warranted...........? I really never cared for Julius Peppers at all, as I look at the team as the overall, instead of just one player, who thinks he should be paid the rate he should. He can make that money for another team, but for the Patriots, no way he will get that money. I like Adalius Thomas, Bruschi, Mayo and possibly Crable/Banta-Cain at the starting linebacker positions. For Seymour, he is probably gone after the year, as well as Green. Wilfork should be the main concern to resign.

Ewagner
05-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Disagree w/ respect EW. Thomas can't block worth a damn, so actually being a FB isn't possible. Hochstein will continue with that job if he makes the team.

Being an H back? That's possible. Maybe he'll be healthy enough to find out in camp, I don't see it however.

The loss of Morris in '07 is the #1 reason why they lost the SB IMO. Given that Taylor is quite old, BJGE is an OK kid, Maroney is oft injured, and that Faulk is no spring chicken I would be far happier in nailing DT then Morris.

I guess more or less than is what I was proposing, Thomas as an H-back. The patriots obviously never use a true FB unless it is in goal line situations. Thomas is the only player on the roster that can be used similar to how Evans was. He just needs to be able to stay on the field.

I donít believe the patriots want to cut Morris but out of respect he may be let go. Keeping three RB that can be starters or second string on a lot of teams would be accesses. Morris would be used sparingly at best. I know he played some FB early in his career but like I mentioned earlier the Patriots donít use a FB in most sets.

Thomas is also younger with upside Morris is on the downside of his career and had his own injury concerns. I would not rush to think Thomas would be the one cut. Like you stated it really comes down to camp and how each of them performs. I believe they are both fighting for spots. Morris is showcasing for other teams though, in my opinion

Robertse
06-03-2009, 03:13 AM

This is what I have read up on and heard about OTA's and anyone with any other info that is new please share?

Bagwell, I have heard that Alex Smith is being used as the H Back/tight-end. Also, I heard that without a true FB and to protect Brady the Pats will keep at least 3 tight-ends and maybe 4. Its no secret Belichick has been dissapointed in Thomas and Watson. But giving Watsons got more talent then Thomas if 3-then Watson,Smith and Baker? And off-subject for 1 second-When are these rookies going to stop fantacizing about Peppers? And the player trades for him, this is the NFL not Madden 09.

Some OTA News from Paul Perrilo, Gasper and the local writers
Some are saying that Crable could be a name you will hear alot this year and is working as a first unit OLB. Good news for myself since all you veterans know how much I like GG. Perrillo-who attends the OTA's -when talking about our linebacking situation did not seem worried. A few reporters stated with Mayo not at the OTA's that Gary Guyton has been recieving the defensive signals and getting the starting reps at ILB. At OLB- Woods, Crable and Thomas are working with the first unit and Redd has not worked with the first unit yet. Another reported from OTA's is that Galloway is still really fast, Perrillo stated that Galloway has not lost much of his world class speed.Greg Lewis is reported as looking like a contributer this year, but not as fast as Galloway or polished. Leigh Bodden has caught on really quick and looks like the shut-down corner he was known as when playing for the Browns.Bodden was also ranked #15 best CB in the league by Realscouts.com; which is considered really good after playing for an 0-16 team last year. Springs was reported as looking really good too. Media reports that Bodden and Springs are light years ahead of the CB's brought in last year and that Bodden has made great plays. Darius Butler left his coverage on Moss to intercept Brady. One Player that is drawing raves is the play of Brandon McGowen who is said to look really good. A couple last notes as I will update in a few days. The long-snapping battle between Hodel and Ingram is said to be very close, because both of them are performing so well. Lastly, rookie Patrick Chung -good news on him, is that in all running drills he is always way ahead of others which leads me to believe he is not only athletic but in great condition. To all you great Boston fans please update any news you hear about the OTA's.

Robertse
06-07-2009, 03:15 PM
I thought the Lenon signing was good for Depth and everyone knows how much I like Gary Guyton as a player so this is what I found and I hope its true because I have heard Belichick likes his young linebackers. Also, I asked Mike Reiss about Guyton at the OTA's and he sounded very optimistic

By Matt Sohn
June 5, 2009

Itís no secret that the addition of eighth-year veteran Paris Lenon considerably eases the Patriotsí concern over a lack of capable bodies at inside linebacker. The former Lion racked up an impressive 239 tackles the past two seasons in Detroit, providing welcome veteran relief to the Pats. Yet, the way we hear it, second-year pro Gary Guyton has only furthered his case for becoming a prominent player at the spot. After dabbling at both the outside and inside as an undrafted rookie in 2008, it appears as if Guyton has found a home at inside linebacker. Although longtime Patriot Tedy Bruschi would be considered the technical leader to start alongside burgeoning star Jerod Mayo, thereís a strong sentiment that Guyton will wind up seeing more action than the more decorated Bruschi. Mayo and Guyton formed a close bond during the pre-draft process even before they were joined as teammates, and coach Bill Belichickís penchant for playing grizzled veterans at the position doesnít appear to be forcing his hand this time.

Ewagner
06-08-2009, 10:41 AM
i love when home grown players excel just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. i'm rooting for guyton

Robertse
06-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Yep, with everyone calling our LB core old for a couple years now it would be great to have 2 young, athletic studs at inside linebacker. Our secondary is getting younger and faster players. Bill is doing a great job at setting our team for the future as well as the present.

griff141
06-18-2009, 07:58 PM
The Patriots reportedly offered Greg Ellis a one-year, $1.5 million deal before he signed with the Raiders.
The 34-year-old Ellis chose the Raiders' three-year, $10 million offer with $5 million in guarantees over the chance to play with a Super Bowl contender. The Patriots may still be in the mix for a Derrick Burgess trade to shore up their pass rushing.

Rotoworld

Ewagner
06-19-2009, 10:02 AM
the man needs to feed his family

Crickr
06-19-2009, 10:30 AM
the man needs to feed his family

Thats a lot of food......... I feed my faimly for a hell of a lot less lol

Pedroia
06-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Thats a lot of food......... I feed my faimly for a hell of a lot less lol

Yup, me too. And they eat just fine.

poppa12645
06-20-2009, 08:08 PM
the more you make the more you spend

Robertse
06-22-2009, 03:13 AM
It is good to hear that a veteran like Seymour has had high praise for Crable even though they have not even hit in practice yet. Alot of us on here brag about Crable and some are not so optimisitic. But I definitely liked hearing what Seymour had to say about Crable's speed to the QB and getting around ends. For anyone who has the Big10 channel on Comcast they show games all the time and its fun watching Crable from Michigans games.

The Intimidator
06-22-2009, 08:16 AM
It is good to hear that a veteran like Seymour has had high praise for Crable even though they have not even hit in practice yet. Alot of us on here brag about Crable and some are not so optimisitic. But I definitely liked hearing what Seymour had to say about Crable's speed to the QB and getting around ends. For anyone who has the Big10 channel on Comcast they show games all the time and its fun watching Crable from Michigans games.

I still remember the hard (and illegal) hit that Crable put on Troy Smith in the 2006 Ohio State-Michigan game. I watch it whenever it's on ESPN Classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmGMGUDPbk

griff141
06-24-2009, 07:16 PM
Hopefully this will put an end to the speculation that the Pats may still acquire Julius Peppers for the very few that still believe it to be true.

Panthers signed franchise player Julius Peppers to a one-year, $16.683 million tender.
He's rescinded his trade demand and appears poised to play another year in Carolina. "Julius is more than satisfied with the outcome and is...ready to play football," his agent said. Peppers, 29, set a career high with 14.5 sacks and five forced fumbles after moving back to his natural right end position in 2008. The four-time Pro Bowler will benefit from getting in a full training camp.

Rotoworld

The Intimidator
06-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Hopefully this will put an end to the speculation that the Pats may still acquire Julius Peppers for the very few that still believe it to be true.

Rotoworld

Oh God, the fact that you mentioned his name will bring the Peppers threads back...:rolleyes:

griff141
06-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Oh God, the fact that you mentioned his name will bring the Peppers threads back...:rolleyes:

That's why we have you to delete them! :D

kbjohnson26
06-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Rotoworld

LOL... Actually its going to do the opposite. Even the PFW blog had an article about it. "Now that he has signed his tag, does this mean something is going to happen" When he shows up in a Panthers uniform, I think will be the only thing that kills all the talk. Especially since we are in such a dead time right now in the season.

FREDFLINTSTONE
06-26-2009, 07:20 PM
I expect a monster year from Shawn Crable. I'm not a big Pierre Woods fan and I think that compared to the rookie OLB's this season, Crable would be in the top 5.

Robertse
06-28-2009, 06:06 AM
The Miami Dolphins are making big moves. With Gloria Estefan buying a portion of the team, what next they going to sign Mariah Carey and Beyonce to cover Randy moss and Welker. This team is a joke and the Pats will destroy them.

Patsfan56
06-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I expect a monster year from Shawn Crable. I'm not a big Pierre Woods fan and I think that compared to the rookie OLB's this season, Crable would be in the top 5.

I am hoping Guyton does well this year as well. If he gets the playing time.

FREDFLINTSTONE
07-11-2009, 10:01 PM
I am hoping Guyton does well this year as well. If he gets the playing time.

Guyton is a MLB and is best used in coverage as he has great speed. He got tons of experience last season after being an undrafted rookie FA. I only expect him to become better with more reps.