Mariners
Angels
Rangers
Athletics
White Sox
Tigers
Twins

nl you do the same thing but 8 and 8

playoffs top 2 teams from each division makes the playoffs best record in al plays 4th best record in al and 2 plays 3

I feel like this evens out the scheduling so one team doesnt get to play crappy teams more than others because of the division scheduling they have
now

i wasnt living when the divisions used to be like this but this seems like it was cooler and more competative back then

When you think about it why do the angels get to play the As, Mariners, and Rangers around a combined 60 times per season

dont know if you get what i am saying

Seamhead
12-28-2008, 03:47 AM
I like it more than the current system. Leagues should be done away with, too, and simply stick with the DH.

Gigantes4Life
12-28-2008, 06:56 AM
We should still have leagues, but I'm fine with having DH's in both, or no DH at all. They can't be different.

The only thing is when you change something like that, you have to give organizations a chance to build off of that. NL teams would suffer from not having a good DH.

leiasgoldbikini
12-28-2008, 07:00 AM
DH sucks.

YankeeFan28
12-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Just do the east vs. west thing.

nygiants242
12-28-2008, 10:51 AM
East vs. West would make sense to me IMO

todu82
12-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Not a bad idea actually. One of the best ideas for realignment I've seen in a while.

marlinsfan24
12-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Pretty good idea. I'm sick of the Angels walking into the playoffs, then being killed.

thawv
12-28-2008, 11:33 AM
Pretty much back to it was before with some changes to the playoff system

Like....

AL East Division
Redsox
Yankees
Orioles
Rays
Indians
Blue Jays
Royals

AL West Division
Mariners
Angels
Rangers
Athletics
White Sox
Tigers
Twins

playoffs top 2 teams from each division makes the playoffs best record in al plays 4th best record in al and 2 plays 3

I feel like this evens out the scheduling so one team doesnt get to play crappy teams more than others because of the division scheduling they have
now

i wasnt living when the divisions used to be like this but this seems like it was cooler and more competative back then

When you think about it why do the angels get to play the As, Mariners, and Rangers around a combined 60 times per season

As long as there are still four teams going to the playoffs, this looks good. However, KC is west of Chi and Min. Move KC into the west and put Chi or Min in the east. Yes, there are way too many free wins for some teams. Especially the Angles right now. However, teams go in cycles, so it should eventually even itself out.

papipapsmanny
12-28-2008, 11:41 AM
i wasnt too concerned with the teams just like the basis, it isnt really an idea because this is the way it used to be

so i want it to be the old way except 4 playoff teams from each league still go

k_rock923
12-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I like it.

Burkey3472
12-28-2008, 12:31 PM
As long as there is only 4 teams in the playoffs, i just hate the kids that keep saying they want 16 teams total in the playoffs

Your Name Here
12-28-2008, 12:33 PM
If you're going to do it that way, (and I really don't have much of an opinion either way), taking the top 2 teams from each division isn't the way to go.

The two division winners get in, then the next 2 teams with the best overall records get in, regardless of whether they play in the east or west.

astrosmaniac
12-28-2008, 01:05 PM
If you're going to do it that way, (and I really don't have much of an opinion either way), taking the top 2 teams from each division isn't the way to go.

The two division winners get in, then the next 2 teams with the best overall records get in, regardless of whether they play in the east or west.

:nod:

MooseWithFleas
12-28-2008, 01:20 PM
I like it except make the WC the 2 best records not just 2 from each division.

Also :pity: :pity: :pity: :pity: :pity: :pity: :pity: X 1000000000000 to whoever said stick with the DH.

Tekmosis
12-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Yankees would rape that AL east conference...

yaowowrocket11
12-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Yankees would rape that AL east conference...

I see the Red Sox and the Rays still in the East, buddy. 2 teams that were better than the Yankees last year.

DJYankee
12-28-2008, 02:09 PM
With this playoff system we are talking about. I think you will never ever see a cindarella

team. Many people like to see a david and goliath match-up. But i have to agree the best

team has to be playing vs each other and that has been lacking the last couple years.

DJYankee
12-28-2008, 02:13 PM
I see the Red Sox and the Rays still in the East, buddy. 2 teams that were better than the Yankees last year.

The Rays was a good team but to say they were better than the yankees when

the Yankees went 11-7 vs them is crazy, but IMO i don't see the rays repeating

the 08 season.

Matt-the-great
12-28-2008, 02:24 PM
more than divisional re-alignment i would like to see playoff re-organization....6 or 8 teams from each league

vick27m
12-28-2008, 02:52 PM
i will give it that it is better then the other thread that was posted. but im not sure if that would be a good idea that would be like basketball sort of

Your Name Here
12-28-2008, 03:03 PM
more than divisional re-alignment i would like to see playoff re-organization....6 or 8 teams from each league

**** that.

I'd rather see the idea that Dingus McCrazybritches had in the other thread.

scotttube
12-28-2008, 03:37 PM
As long as there are still four teams going to the playoffs, this looks good. However, KC is west of Chi and Min. Move KC into the west and put Chi or Min in the east. Yes, there are way too many free wins for some teams. Especially the Angles right now. However, teams go in cycles, so it should eventually even itself out.

If you were strictly going by geography it would be cleveland and detroit in the east and minnesota, chicago and kc in the west. I'm not sure thats what he was going for though. I think he wanted KC in the east to balance out the divisions.

Seamhead
12-28-2008, 04:21 PM
I like it except make the WC the 2 best records not just 2 from each division.

Also :pity: :pity: :pity: :pity: :pity: :pity: :pity: X 1000000000000 to whoever said stick with the DH.

Yeah, who wants to be progressive and practical? It's all about playing it up like it was 1887.

Gigantes4Life
12-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Please, have you watched the NBA playoffs. That system is a failure, it takes 3 months to get through the playoffs. Baseball in December doesn't work.

LeBrowns
12-29-2008, 03:32 AM
I dont get how its that creative, all its doing is dividing up the A.L. Central into the A.L East and West, which ruins rivalries in that division while the other divisions have thiers intact. Same thing would go for the N.L. Central. ie. Chicago vs. St Louis ect.

DewsSox79
12-29-2008, 04:57 AM

Like....

AL East Division
Redsox
Yankees
Orioles
Rays
Indians
Blue Jays
Royals

AL West Division
Mariners
Angels
Rangers
Athletics
White Sox
Tigers
Twins

now

kc is more west than chicago

papipapsmanny
12-29-2008, 05:07 AM
k wow i didnt care about the specifics east and west crap

how most of you dont realize is this is how it used to be for pretty much all of baseball's existence

and no there shouldnt be more than 8 total teams in the playoffs 162 games is plenty to determine who should make the playoffs

jbro732
12-29-2008, 06:19 AM
The leagues look fine but you would have to switch Detroit into the AL East. Historically they where an original AL east team, im not even that old and I remember them playing in the AL east.

Impaler
12-29-2008, 06:42 AM
I had brought this idea up at work. Lose all the divisions but keep 2 leagues. The top 16 teams play in the Elite League while the bottom 14 teams play in the Lesser League.

For Example based on 2008 standings:

Elite League

Angels
Cubs
Rays
Red Sox
Phillies
Brewers
Yankees
Mets
White Sox
Twins
Astros
Cardinals
Blue Jays
Marlins
Dodgers
Diamondbacks

Lesser League

Indians
Rangers
A's
Royals
Rockies
Reds
Tigers
Giants
Braves
Orioles
Pirates
Padres
Mariners
Nationals

The worst 2 teams in the Elite League and the Top 2 teams in the Lesser League would swap each year. The playoff system would allow each team no matter the league to compete. This would create another set of standings. Each team would play the each other team once total of 29 games. The top 4 teams at the end of the season would be in the best of 4 playoffs.

Each League has a championship which would mean more than the current AL & NL titles. The World Series is still played with best of 7 series against the top 4 teams in a 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 setup.

Schedules would still be 162 games. 133 games within the league plus 29 playoff games. The schedule would still take the same number of weeks. The only difference is during the week a team may play 2 or 3 playoff games. Usually only 2. Just like a team coming in and playing a 2 game series against a team. Of course the concern is travel but if a team has a west coast trip thats when they will play their playoff games on the west coast and vice versa.

Yogi
12-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Just keep it the way it is!

Frank Costanza
12-29-2008, 10:57 AM
As long as there is only 4 teams in the playoffs, i just hate the kids that keep saying they want 16 teams total in the playoffs

16 teams is much much needed and overdue

leiasgoldbikini
12-29-2008, 06:00 PM
I had brought this idea up at work. Lose all the divisions but keep 2 leagues. The top 16 teams play in the Elite League while the bottom 14 teams play in the Lesser League.

For Example based on 2008 standings:

Elite League

Angels
Cubs
Rays
Red Sox
Phillies
Brewers
Yankees
Mets
White Sox
Twins
Astros
Cardinals
Blue Jays
Marlins
Dodgers
Diamondbacks

Lesser League

Indians
Rangers
A's
Royals
Rockies
Reds
Tigers
Giants
Braves
Orioles
Pirates
Padres
Mariners
Nationals

The worst 2 teams in the Elite League and the Top 2 teams in the Lesser League would swap each year. The playoff system would allow each team no matter the league to compete. This would create another set of standings. Each team would play the each other team once total of 29 games. The top 4 teams at the end of the season would be in the best of 4 playoffs.

Each League has a championship which would mean more than the current AL & NL titles. The World Series is still played with best of 7 series against the top 4 teams in a 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 setup.

Schedules would still be 162 games. 133 games within the league plus 29 playoff games. The schedule would still take the same number of weeks. The only difference is during the week a team may play 2 or 3 playoff games. Usually only 2. Just like a team coming in and playing a 2 game series against a team. Of course the concern is travel but if a team has a west coast trip thats when they will play their playoff games on the west coast and vice versa.

This system works for the English Premier League in soccer and its brilliant... for soccer. For baseball it's a cluster****. Baseball's system is perfect the way it is. If you can't make a case for making the playoffs after 162 games it's probably because you have no business being there.

leiasgoldbikini
12-29-2008, 06:02 PM
16 teams is much much needed and overdue

A 16 team playoff makes a mockery of the regular season. Hopefully, there will never be a 16 team playoff.

The A Team
12-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I like it more than the current system. Leagues should be done away with, too, and simply stick with the DH.

I'd rather go without the DH. But I agree that something should be done about the leagues too. I'd like to keep them, but maybe play every team in interleague play...I don't know. The current system is less than great that's for sure.

The A Team
12-29-2008, 07:57 PM
A 16 team playoff makes a mockery of the regular season. Hopefully, there will never be a 16 team playoff.

There will never be a 16 team playoff. Unless the league gets up to 40+ teams, which I just can't imagine happening. Baseball would love to shove more playoff games down our throat, but it's just not something that works. Unlike in football, bye weeks would almost be a penalty in baseball so 10 and 12 team playoffs are out of the picture too. 8 is the golden number.

Seamhead
12-29-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd rather go without the DH. But I agree that something should be done about the leagues too. I'd like to keep them, but maybe play every team in interleague play...I don't know. The current system is less than great that's for sure.

I don't really have a preference in regards to DH or no DH. It just seems like it'd be a smoother transaction to add 16 bats, then to make 14 teams bench 14 players, and waste money. I could have it all backwards, though.

homestarunner93
12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
The DH is worthless. Get rid of that. Its an excuse for a fat, lazy people to call themselves athletes.

Morgan
12-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I think we should keep it the way it is except take one team outta the NL and add it to the AL West so, each division has 5 teams and each league has 15 teams. It's ridiculous that the NL Central has 6 teams and the AL West has 4. They should send the Houston Astros over to the the AL West or, somebody.

The A Team
12-29-2008, 09:29 PM
^The problem with that is then there would have to always be at least one interleague series. I'm personally fine with that, but they'd have to seriously change the scheduling structure.

As for the DH, the rule has always bothered me not because of guys without a position (most DH's would be slotted into a corner outfield or 1B simply because offense is more important than defense) but because it takes the one highly strategic part of the game out. Managers win and lose games (albeit not many, but it happens) in the NL. In the AL the game is basically a formula and a simple one at that requiring essentially zero difficult decisions. Assemble your best or highest paid 9 into a lineup, leave your SP in until he hits his count or sucks, put in whatever reliever corresponds with the inning, call in the loogy if a Carlos Pena or Ryan Howard stroll to the plate, and the stopper when the 9th inning rolls around. I don't know why AL teams even pay managers...altruism? I should call up Billy Beane and offer to manage his team for $10,000 and a place to sleep.

Drucifer
12-29-2008, 09:35 PM

Like....

AL East Division
Redsox
Yankees
Orioles
Rays
Indians
Blue Jays
Royals

AL West Division
Mariners
Angels
Rangers
Athletics
White Sox
Tigers
Twins

now

Fine, but I would make winning the division important by increasing the WCs from two to four with them playing a fast 3-day 3-game series. WC teams with best records play last two games at home if series go to 3 games.
Winner of the WC immediately play the division winner the next day - no days off for the WC if series goes 3-games. If a WC makes it to the WS with this schedule at least they would of earn it thru a very tough playoffs.

Right now, the lone WC often has the easiest schedule, which I know, is not right.

Rochesta
12-29-2008, 09:42 PM
I think 8 teams should make the tournament, and the rest should play for bids in bowl-type series'. That way your team is always playing for something, even when they're 15 games out at the all star break. Theyd be playing the rest of the regular season hard so that they would win a better undercard bid.

earias
12-29-2008, 09:52 PM
personally i prefer the current system (although i would like to see some changes).

thefeckcampaign
12-29-2008, 10:43 PM
I like it more than the current system. Leagues should be done away with, too, and simply stick with the DH.You have no respect for the history of this game.

nithanyo
12-29-2008, 10:44 PM

Like....

AL East Division
Redsox
Yankees
Orioles
Rays
Indians
Blue Jays
Royals

Great the Indians, and Royals can kill the rest of their fanbase by playing behind the red sox and yankees

nearyG
12-29-2008, 10:47 PM
if there was any type of realignment they'd have to move one of boston, new york tampa out of the al east or east

nithanyo
12-29-2008, 10:52 PM
if there was any type of realignment they'd have to move one of boston, new york tampa out of the al east or east

tampa is gona fall back to reality soon. They have strong farm system, but once those players come up they will demand big time money, and once that happens the yankees and sox will take those players while tampa falls to bottom of the east and starts another 10 years of rebuilding

bagwell368
12-29-2008, 10:55 PM
DH sucks.

Oh yeah I want to see Randy Johnson hit instead of Paul Molitor.

leiasgoldbikini
12-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Oh yeah I want to see Randy Johnson hit instead of Paul Molitor.

I want to see a manager make an actual important decision. I want to see a pitcher come up to the plate after he's been pitching inside all game long. How many times would Pedro Martinez have been plunked?

Seamhead
12-29-2008, 11:04 PM
You have no respect for the history of this game.

You are a brain-dead moron, who has no idea what he is talking, which in this case, is my holy, sacred respect for the game (:rolleyes:). First of all, what does the DH have to do with my respect for the game? There's such a thing as change, and this has nothing to do with being able to appreciate the history of the game. I guess we should go back to having batters get out in foul territory or if the ball is caught after one bounce. Oh, and don't forget moving the mound back to 45 feet and change base on balls back to 8 balls. We wouldn't want to hurt the game's feelings. I'm guessing you were one of the morons that's against replay due to the fact that it damages the tradition of the game.

And I'm guessing you missed my post where I explained the quoted post....

But, yeah....thanks for the post...

The A Team
12-29-2008, 11:08 PM
You have no respect for the history of this game.

And your a conformist stuck in the status quo. Change is good.

The A Team
12-29-2008, 11:08 PM
tampa is gona fall back to reality soon. They have strong farm system, but once those players come up they will demand big time money, and once that happens the yankees and sox will take those players while tampa falls to bottom of the east and starts another 10 years of rebuilding

This sounds like a job for Billy Beane...

bagwell368
12-29-2008, 11:17 PM
I like regional alignments, or traditional ones.

As a Bosox fan I was upset when Cle, Det, Chi left the East. But I can also see the greatness in a alignment such as:

North East: NYY, Bos, NYM, Pit, Cle, Det

South East: Bal, TB, Atl, Fla, Wash, Phil

Northern: Chi, Chi, Mil, Cinn, Minn, Tor

West: SF, Seattle, Oak, LAD, LAA, SD

SouthWest: Ariz, Texas, Houston, KC, St. Louis, Col

Benefits:

#1 This alignment features geograhic rivalries much more then what we have now.

#2 This alignment would cut travel time a lot, esp. if teams played in their own divisions more then today. Say 20 x 5 = 100, and then play an uneven schedule against a rotating set of 2 other Divisions 62 games against all 10 of the teams.

The NL has thankfully moved away from turf, now its time to join the 20th and 21st Century and get a DH for everyone.

bagwell368
12-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I want to see a manager make an actual important decision. I want to see a pitcher come up to the plate after he's been pitching inside all game long. How many times would Pedro Martinez have been plunked?

Interesting point of view, but wrong. The AL has more strategy then the NL since the NL is stuck with the knee jerk choice of pulling pitchers at particular points - like when they are coming up. Hmm. left hander on the mound, who is my best RH hitter that I can plug in with a double switch to shunt the pitcher slot back as much as possible...

Yeah, takes a friggin rocket scientist to do that.

bagwell368
12-29-2008, 11:22 PM
BTW, if the game was left alone by FRob, the "plunking" would take care of itself as it almost always has (Roseboro to the contrary).

A pitcher throws inside and gets a warning these days, so what's the big problem? Pedro would have laughed and thrown all the harder and closer BTW if he got thrown at.

MrSexy
12-29-2008, 11:26 PM
I just don't like the DH.

leiasgoldbikini
12-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Interesting point of view, but wrong. The AL has more strategy then the NL since the NL is stuck with the knee jerk choice of pulling pitchers at particular points - like when they are coming up. Hmm. left hander on the mound, who is my best RH hitter that I can plug in with a double switch to shunt the pitcher slot back as much as possible...

Yeah, takes a friggin rocket scientist to do that.

That's ridiculous. There's a lot more going into it than that. The AL has better players right now, but the AL is like checkers and the NL is like chess. The strategy in the AL isn't even close to the NL.

The A Team
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Let's not inflate the difficulty of managing in the NL either. It's still among the easiest jobs known to man. What bagwell368 calls knee jerk choices are what makes the NL harder and more fun to watch (I guess I'm supposed to throw an imo in there...). You can't just use your 12 best players to get through most games. On a given day you're likely to cycle through 16 or 17 guys on the way to the W (or the L). To say that moves like the double switch require less strategy than just telling your best players to go out there and try really hard is asinine.

dodgerdave
12-30-2008, 01:39 AM
With this playoff system we are talking about. I think you will never ever see a cindarella

team. Many people like to see a david and goliath match-up. But i have to agree the best

team has to be playing vs each other and that has been lacking the last couple years.

1988 Dodgers? 1990 Reds?

blenderboy5
12-30-2008, 01:47 AM
This is actually one of the best ideas I've ever heard for realigning baseball no sarcasm

07MVPPatBurrell
12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
misleading title of this topic. i expected there to be a good idea, this one sucks.

donnie23
12-30-2008, 04:05 PM
There is one huge problem with the current system and it is the 5 game series. You play 162 games and then you play a best of 5 series. Total crap. The DH argument can be another thread all together. You have to have 16 and 14 so you can do interleague scheduling. Get rid of interleague and put the Rockies in the AL west and the Astros in the NL West.

VenezuelanMet
12-30-2008, 04:20 PM
There is one huge problem with the current system and it is the 5 game series. You play 162 games and then you play a best of 5 series. Total crap. The DH argument can be another thread all together. You have to have 16 and 14 so you can do interleague scheduling. Get rid of interleague and put the Rockies in the AL west and the Astros in the NL West.

I don't think the randomness of the playoffs can be fixed, though is true that a 7 game series is way better than a 5 game one.
I do think that the "anything can happen in playoffs" is part of the baseball charm, though i don't think that 100win teams in the regular season are happy with that :p but that's the way it is.

But i agree with that alignment you said, we can't have a 4 team division.

stlcardsfan1331
12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
I am all for new reallignment, but how do small market teams expect to compete with big markets? If you had a minmum and maximum salary cap everythign would be more inline, say minimum of 75 mil and maximum of 125m (just throwing out numbers). The divisions should be regional say AL Northeast with the Yanks, Mets, Redsox, Washington and Baltimore. then the AL Southwest etc AL being on the eastern side of country and NL on western. Keep 6 divisions and current wildcard format.

07MVPPatBurrell
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM

and then we play the season until decemeber. great idea.

donnie23
12-30-2008, 05:18 PM
and then we play the season until decemeber. great idea.

Can you not read? My season could be shorter without interleague not longer.

The A Team
12-30-2008, 07:14 PM

Can't. That puts 15 teams in each league. You either have to have interleague or you have to have the bizarre 16-14 split. You can't get rid of both.

bagwell368
12-30-2008, 10:05 PM
That's ridiculous. There's a lot more going into it than that. The AL has better players right now, but the AL is like checkers and the NL is like chess. The strategy in the AL isn't even close to the NL.

Noted by the fan of the inferior league. Will that feeling make it easier to live with? How sad.

leiasgoldbikini
12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
Noted by the fan of the inferior league.

Doesn't make me wrong.

bagwell368
12-30-2008, 10:09 PM
To say that moves like the double switch require less strategy than just telling your best players to go out there and try really hard is asinine.

Says you, please provide the statistical evidence to prove your point.

I have another reason if there is some sort of merger the DH will predominate. The players union. A lot more high paid old guys swinging bats, means higher salaries, and that is who the union protects, not 25 year old min guys that sprout up like cabbages in the NL, and usually die within a season or two.

leiasgoldbikini
12-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Says you, please provide the statistical evidence to prove your point.

I have another reason if there is some sort of merger the DH will predominate. The players union. A lot more high paid old guys swinging bats, means higher salaries, and that is who the union protects, not 25 year old min guys that sprout up like cabbages in the NL, and usually die within a season or two.

To get rid of the DH the league would have to agree to expand rosters to 27 or 28 guys.

bagwell368
12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Let's try again, and let's hold off on the DH for the moment. Forget the 16/14 team issue as well.

18 games per year against the other 5 teams in your division. Another 68 games against a rotating set of the other Divisions for a total of 158 game regular season.

All 5 winners make it, 3 WC's w/ best records - each tier of 3 Series is 7 games, made possible by dropping to 158 game season.

NL and AL - gone. After years of interleague, who cares? Regional rivalries however will bring a ton of verve to the games. The AS game will be a West vs East alignment, and the outcome will mean nothing. Perhaps the year after it could North vs South. It was meant to be a one time exhibition after all.

Of course the real best thing for baseball is contracting to 24 teams, with 4 6 team Divisions. The teams will be a lot stronger and the games more interesting.

Lets see, who goes: Fla, Pit, KC, Mil, Tor, Wash ?? Never happen, here to stay.

bagwell368
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
To get rid of the DH the league would have to agree to expand rosters to 27 or 28 guys.

AHh... nice try, but the owners hold that card, and they want it at 25 to keep the salaries down.

leiasgoldbikini
12-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Let's try again, and let's hold off on the DH for the moment. Forget the 16/14 team issue as well.

18 games per year against the other 5 teams in your division. Another 68 games against a rotating set of the other Divisions for a total of 158 game regular season.

All 5 winners make it, 3 WC's w/ best records - each tier of 3 Series is 7 games, made possible by dropping to 158 game season.

NL and AL - gone. After years of interleague, who cares? Regional rivalries however will bring a ton of verve to the games. The AS game will be a West vs East alignment, and the outcome will mean nothing. Perhaps the year after it could North vs South. It was meant to be a one time exhibition after all.

Of course the real best thing for baseball is contracting to 24 teams, with 4 6 team Divisions. The teams will be a lot stronger and the games more interesting.

Lets see, who goes: Fla, Pit, KC, Mil, Tor, Wash ?? Never happen, here to stay.

Not bad... unless you're Pittsburg.

07MVPPatBurrell
12-31-2008, 05:16 PM
Can you not read? My season could be shorter without interleague not longer.

maybe i can't read, but i'm not an idiot. how do you plan to schedule 15 AL teams and 15 NL teams without interleague ? please explain that to me.

The A Team
12-31-2008, 05:29 PM

I'm not sure I see why...

ryguy2k7
12-31-2008, 06:02 PM
Not a bad thought,

but to me this just sounds like it would make desperate Yankee fans happy when they top 2 it up with the Red Sox.

But either way, teams should deserve to make the playoffs...

so not too shabby

bartoron
12-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I really like your idea, but I think that instead of the 1st team playing the 4th team, the 1st team in the East should play the 2nd team in the West and vise-versa. Have both of the first round series be East vs. West, and then in the ALCS/NLCS have it be whoever is left.

Chicago657
12-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Baseball Prospectus had a good idea a few years ago.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6236
They're goals were:
1. Cut travel times
2. Keep rivalries intact

Willie Mays Division
Seattle Mariners
Oakland Athletics
San Francisco Giants
Los Angeles Dodgers
LAnaheim Angels
San Diego Padres

George Brett Division
Arizona Diamondbacks
Colorado Rockies
Texas Rangers
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
Minnesota Twins

Bob Gibson Division
St. Louis Cardinals
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Tigers
Toronto Blue Jays

Babe Ruth Division
Cleveland Indians
Cincinnati Reds
Pittsburgh Pirates
New York Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Baltimore Orioles

Hank Aaron Division
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals
Atlanta Braves
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Florida Marlins

You can name the divisions whatever you want.

Now, these divisional alignments aren't set in stone. For example, you could swap the three western teams from the Ruth into the Aaron, and the three northern teams from the Aaron into the Ruth, and that works well also. Or you could trade the White Sox and Tigers to the Ruth for Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to break up the Chicago teams.

This five-division structure does raise the question of how to pick an All-Star team. With interleague play, though, the All-Star game has already lost much of its luster. So, in alternate years divide the teams either north-south or east-west and pick teams that way. We can also rid ourselves of the All-Star game conferring home field advantage--instead, seed the teams according to winning percentage, with the three wild cards getting the lowest three seeds. Then re-seed after every round.

Five six-team divisions offer a number of advantages. Reduced travel saves the clubs money and saves energy as well. Intra-division play brings every team to a park two out of every four seasons. Teams spread out their intra-division competition evenly over the season, unlike now when you might play one division opponent three series in the first two months and not see another until June. All intra-division opponents play each other exclusively over the last month of the season, adding to the division race excitement. Finally, this alignment fits nicely into the current scheduling parameters.

The A Team
12-31-2008, 06:30 PM
^This again raises the problem of DH or no DH. This is only anecdotal evidence, but the majority of people I've spoken with on the topic (it comes up pretty frequently because I think the DH rule is a travesty) either are very pro DH or anti DH. Not many people seem to be ambivalent about it. Additionally the split seems pretty equal and highly correlated with whatever rule a given person's home team follows. My point is, the DH is an entrenched part of the game and trying to do away with it or force all teams to use it would be difficult (not to mention upsetting to many fans).

leiasgoldbikini
12-31-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not sure I see why...

Because you'd never get the Player's Union to agree to it unless you significantly expanded rosters.

BILLYBALL
12-31-2008, 10:24 PM
No DH . . .

Pfeifer
01-01-2009, 01:25 AM
i agree division winners and next best as a jays fan i feel like we get hosed every year

psurulesyou
01-01-2009, 01:41 AM
If they done away with Interleague, this wouldn't be necessary, but I agree with the idea, it sounds fun and in many ways better for baseball! it's like steroids without the tiny dicks!

bagwell368
01-01-2009, 02:19 AM
Baseball Prospectus had a good idea a few years ago.
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6236
They're goals were:
1. Cut travel times
2. Keep rivalries intact

Willie Mays Division
Seattle Mariners
Oakland Athletics
San Francisco Giants
Los Angeles Dodgers
LAnaheim Angels
San Diego Padres

George Brett Division
Arizona Diamondbacks
Colorado Rockies
Texas Rangers
Houston Astros
Kansas City Royals
Minnesota Twins

Bob Gibson Division
St. Louis Cardinals
Milwaukee Brewers
Chicago Cubs
Chicago White Sox
Detroit Tigers
Toronto Blue Jays

Babe Ruth Division
Cleveland Indians
Cincinnati Reds
Pittsburgh Pirates
New York Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Baltimore Orioles

Hank Aaron Division
New York Mets
Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals
Atlanta Braves
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Florida Marlins

You can name the divisions whatever you want.

Now, these divisional alignments aren't set in stone. For example, you could swap the three western teams from the Ruth into the Aaron, and the three northern teams from the Aaron into the Ruth, and that works well also. Or you could trade the White Sox and Tigers to the Ruth for Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to break up the Chicago teams.

This five-division structure does raise the question of how to pick an All-Star team. With interleague play, though, the All-Star game has already lost much of its luster. So, in alternate years divide the teams either north-south or east-west and pick teams that way. We can also rid ourselves of the All-Star game conferring home field advantage--instead, seed the teams according to winning percentage, with the three wild cards getting the lowest three seeds. Then re-seed after every round.

Five six-team divisions offer a number of advantages. Reduced travel saves the clubs money and saves energy as well. Intra-division play brings every team to a park two out of every four seasons. Teams spread out their intra-division competition evenly over the season, unlike now when you might play one division opponent three series in the first two months and not see another until June. All intra-division opponents play each other exclusively over the last month of the season, adding to the division race excitement. Finally, this alignment fits nicely into the current scheduling parameters.

Well considering i threw the idea together up above in this thread in about 3 minutes I'm pretty proud of myself. Although I like the alignment of my teams better.

thefeckcampaign
01-01-2009, 09:22 AM
^This again raises the problem of DH or no DH. This is only anecdotal evidence, but the majority of people I've spoken with on the topic (it comes up pretty frequently because I think the DH rule is a travesty) either are very pro DH or anti DH. Not many people seem to be ambivalent about it. Additionally the split seems pretty equal and highly correlated with whatever rule a given person's home team follows. My point is, the DH is an entrenched part of the game and trying to do away with it or force all teams to use it would be difficult (not to mention upsetting to many fans).and the problem of those who respect tradition and those who do not. Vince Coleman having the record of the most SB in a season for the NL would be worthless, but yet it we should still remember it because it was accomplished his rookie season. :eyebrow:

KingPapelbon
01-01-2009, 10:17 AM
My only complaint in the whole 14 teams in the AL, 16 in the NL. It feels wrong. I've always thought that this would make a lot of sense:

1. One of the NL Central teams comes to the American League. My suggestion would be to bring Houston over, and place them in the AL West. Hey, if Texas is in the West, can't Houston be? It would make an inter-state, inter-division rivalry.

2. Now, I know what you're saying - You need to have an even amount of teams, so that all series on any given day can be AL v. AL or NL v. NL - I am not a huge fan of the whole Interleague barrage that we have to deal with, all at once, each year.

The solution is simple if there are two leagues of 15 - Every single series, every week (x2) the two odd teams out that are not playing within their league play eachother. You would have continuous Interleague play, but you would only have to deal with one series at a time.

Add the Designated Hitter to the NL to balance things, and viola.

Bomberboy
01-01-2009, 12:04 PM
I like going back to an East / West division of each existing league. We cannot mess with the National / American leagues for all the obvious reasons. I am not sure if I would like the best 2 records in each division of the campion plus the top two records in each league. I would like to go back to a more balanced schedule regardless of alignment. The owners went to this set up to save travel money, then turn around and flush it down the crapper on marginal player salaries. I know the fans come last bue like to see all the teams. This should not be simply about playoffs. Playoffs should only include teams that have earned the opportunity to win it all. Just look at the pathetic NFL for how meaningless the regular season can become.

mlbsniper1
01-02-2009, 04:59 AM
This just the dumbest ideas I've come across in weeks! The current format with wildcard options could be improved. Perhaps the top eight teams in each league should make the playoffs. So many good teams were not given the opportunity to win a title because of a stupid and stuborn playoff system. How else could the Redsox expect to make the playoffs now that the Yanks will win the div for the next decade? Ha!

PartyManPat
01-02-2009, 05:09 AM
Keep things like they are...just move Houston to the NL West and then move Arizona to the AL West

Arizona gets bumped because they are an expansion team

UnWantedTheory
01-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Yawns...no

DasBoot
01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Everything is fine the way it is now...IMO your idea is a terrible one.

nygiants242
01-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Yeah your idea isn't good sorry..

BLOMETSFAN
01-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Good try, but I like it the way it is right now. Maybe just add a play in game to make it so that 2 wild card teams can make it and play there way in. No need to change but that would make it more exciting towards the end of the year...and now that I think or it, it would also make it much more confusing with ties and everything so that might not work.