PDA

View Full Version : Re-alignment? Possible solution?

jamool26
12-27-2008, 10:19 PM
So I was thinking that since a salary cap is highly unlikely in MLB that re-aligning the divisions to keep competition more equal might be a possible solution. It's just an idea. I think it could lead to some very interesting division battles though.

This would be my re-alignment. 2008 team payrolls in millions in ().

AL EAST (High Payrolls)

Yankees($209.1), Mets($138.3), Red Sox($133.4), Cubs($118.6), White Sox($121.1), and Tigers($138.7).

AL WEST (mid to low range payrolls)

Giants($76.9), Rockies($68.7), Diamondbacks($66.2), Athletics($48.0) and Padres($73.7).

AL CENTRAL (mid-range payrolls)

Reds($74.3), Astros($88.9), Rangers($68.2), Twins($62.2), and Brewers($81.0).

NL EAST (mid to high range payrolls)

Phillies($98.3), Braves($102.4), Blue Jays($98.6), Indians($79.0), and Orioles($67.2).

NL WEST (high-range payrolls)

Angels($119.2), Dodgers($118.5), Mariners($118.0), and Cardinals($100.6).

NL CENTRAL/SOUTH (low-range payrolls)

Royals($58.2), Pirates($49.4), Nationals($55.0), Rays($43.8), and Marlins($21.8).

I think this would make for some great pennant races every year.

Sportfan
12-27-2008, 10:28 PM
so the playoffs would look something like this if we use last years record:
Red sox
cubs
d backs
twins

phillies
angels
rays
dodgers

tis would be a horrible idea. AL east is way too tough and then you have sucky divisions like the AL and NL Centrals

jamool26
12-27-2008, 10:36 PM
How can you use last years records when all the teams would have a completely different schedule? You can't speculate that all teams would finish with the same records. It's part of the reason for putting teams in different divisions. Do you really think that the Dodgers would have the same record having to play the Angels 18 times a year, or vice versa?

bigtony989
12-27-2008, 10:40 PM
thats a terrible idea thats like rewarding teams for being cheap basterds

jamool26
12-27-2008, 10:48 PM
All teams spend in a ratio with how much they make. You make more you have more to spend. Just like any business. As you can see all high payroll teams play in large cities that have huge populations. Teams are not being cheap, they just can't afford to have a payroll like a lot of other organizations out there. Either there shouldn't be a team there or you can do something like this to even the playing field. It's ridiculous to think that the Nationals can compete with the Mets or Pirates can compete with the Cubs or the Orioles with the Yankees or the Athletics with the Angels. Yes, every once in awhile a team like the Rays comes along (i.e. the '97 and '03 Marlins), but this is very rare and when it does happen they have to blow up the team the next season. Tampa Bays window is only going to be open for a small amount of time because when their players become arbitration eligible or free agents they are not going to be able to afford to keep them.

Sportfan
12-27-2008, 10:59 PM
How can you use last years records when all the teams would have a completely different schedule? You can't speculate that all teams would finish with the same records. It's part of the reason for putting teams in different divisions. Do you really think that the Dodgers would have the same record having to play the Angels 18 times a year, or vice versa?

i was using an example of how bad the teams would have been

YanksNats1987
12-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Basing re-alignment off payrolls would not be a smart move. This would also mess with league traditions. For example, the Cubs after all these years changing to an AL team. Orioles switching the the NL...etc. You could choose other teams with the same scenarios as well.

jamool26
12-27-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh so you would have the Twins and Diamondbacks instead of the Brewers and White Sox. What a damn shame. Makes it such a terrible postseason with those two differences. Two teams that were eliminated after a very poor showing in the playoffs.

jamool26
12-27-2008, 11:08 PM
The Brewers actually had a better record than the Twins. So I don't know what you're smoking brother. So now it's only the Diamondbacks instead of the White Sox. What a huge difference.

Yogi
12-27-2008, 11:15 PM
That's so stupid!

mnrlgry
12-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Wow, you managed to break up every good rivalry except for the Yankees and Red Sox.

A salary cap isn't "highly unlikely", it's probably going to happen after 2011 and it's a much better solution.

McJoe
12-27-2008, 11:19 PM
the Astros have a 100 million dollar payroll.........

and the Angels and Dodgers are WELL over 100 million

JDIsMyGod23
12-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Salary Cap is a horrible idea. You can build a team within unlike the other leagues. You have 3 farm systems to develop talent, find it, draft it. In the other sports you have your pro teams and that's like it. NBDL and Semi-Pro football does not count.

So, what if we cap the salary in 2011, and the Rays CAN spend more and still have a shitload of young talent to bank on. Then they are the new Yankees. Who cares? A salary cap wouldn't solve anything. Teams are still made through development and drafting.

jamool26
12-27-2008, 11:25 PM
A salary cap will not happen because the players will not go for it. The last time the owners tried this was in '94 and we all know how that turned out. The players will strike and there won't be baseball for a year until the owners realize that they are risking the entire sport and give in to the players. It's all about greed. Greed, greed, and more greed. Unless it ever gets to the point where baseball is struggling to survive there will be no cap.

jamool26
12-27-2008, 11:30 PM
the Astros have a 100 million dollar payroll.........

and the Angels and Dodgers are WELL over 100 million

Houston was around $88.9 million last season. The L.A. teams had to be put in a separate division from the powerhouses because of location. They are still with two other teams that were over $100 million last season. The Mariners $117.9 million and the Cardinals $100.6 million.

hurleyburley
12-28-2008, 12:36 AM
The Jays used to have a great rivalry with the Tigers. But MLB changed it, so obviously, they weren't interested then in great rivalry. For the people that don't want to change the divisions, please explain to me why no one except the Yanks and Red Sox have made the playoffs in the AL east since 1997 (except last year). How fair is it to the teams in that division? It is time to do something. If no one is in favour of a cap, then what suggestions would you have. And don't tell me to get my team to spend more. Eventually the cash cow will run out, and then what?

Nighthawk
12-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Who cares......We dont have to go and change the whole game of baseball because of one yankee offseason. Good Lord its getting out of hand. How much money does MLB make? If its not broke then dont fix it. ****** teams, they'll have their time. Eventually they'll dig themselves out. This whole salary cap and realignment talk is B.S

ruckus16969
12-28-2008, 01:04 AM
this is a very stupid post

hurleyburley
12-28-2008, 01:10 AM
Who cares......We dont have to go and change the whole game of baseball because of one yankee offseason. Good Lord its getting out of hand. How much money does MLB make? If its not broke then dont fix it. ****** teams, they'll have their time. Eventually they'll dig themselves out. This whole salary cap and realignment talk is B.S

"Who cares? " How about all the fans of teams that are not the 5 biggest payrolls in baseball? There are 25 other teams in this league.

I really don't understand why this is so difficult. If you are a fan of a team and your team is outspent by 80 - 100 millions dollars per year, and you start the season knowing that your team has ZERO chance of making the playoffs, don't you think eventually you as a fan would get fed up and just go watch something else?

As a fan, do you care about the game, or just the fact that you can say I am a fan of the Yankees, and they have won 26 world championships?

I am a Jays fan and have been since the first game. Now this year their payroll was $96 million. But the Yanks were $208 million. How does a team compete against that disparity? This is not about the Yankees spending that much money, it is about the fact that other teams just do not have the revenue stream, or will they ever have that. This is not just about ONE off season, this is about a systemic problem with the game of baseball and how they run their business.

And if you are a fan of baseball, you should be concerned.

gottaHaveHart
12-28-2008, 01:42 AM
"Who cares? " How about all the fans of teams that are not the 5 biggest payrolls in baseball? There are 25 other teams in this league.

I really don't understand why this is so difficult. If you are a fan of a team and your team is outspent by 80 - 100 millions dollars per year, and you start the season knowing that your team has ZERO chance of making the playoffs, don't you think eventually you as a fan would get fed up and just go watch something else?

As a fan, do you care about the game, or just the fact that you can say I am a fan of the Yankees, and they have won 26 world championships?

I am a Jays fan and have been since the first game. Now this year their payroll was $96 million. But the Yanks were $208 million. How does a team compete against that disparity? This is not about the Yankees spending that much money, it is about the fact that other teams just do not have the revenue stream, or will they ever have that. This is not just about ONE off season, this is about a systemic problem with the game of baseball and how they run their business.

And if you are a fan of baseball, you should be concerned.

Very nice post:clap:, but now some fan of the big five will come in here and point out the "rays last year" or the marlins as a counter point.

mnrlgry
12-28-2008, 01:50 AM
How in the world is it fair for the ST LOUIS cardinals to be in a division with only west coast teams? And again, you're going to break up the Cardinals/Cubs rivalry?

The easier solution is a salary cap, which will happen in a few years.

hurleyburley
12-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Very nice post:clap:, but now some fan of the big five will come in here and point out the "rays last year" or the marlins as a counter point.

I have been expecting that. But it doesn't change the facts. The Rays won last year after 10 years of absolutely miserable baseball. Their fan base is almost non existant, and there is talk of moving them. They couldn't even sell out all the playoff games and it was their first time.

As far as the Marlins and Loria are concerned. He is a disgrace to the game. He raped the Expos, and is doing the same thing to the Marlins and Selig is allowing him to do it.

Personally, I think the answer to most of the problems is a new baseball commissioner. And for anyone that thinks there won't be some type of cap or realignment, be prepared, because the next round of negotiations for a new collective agreement is going to end in a strike. And this time, the owners will not give in.

Diehdcubsfan2
12-28-2008, 02:25 AM
For the Thread maker, that is just a stupid Idea, First off, travel for the teams would be a mess and a pain. The teams are in a division for a reason, based on location, you can't have a division where teams are scattered everywhere. Second, These Divisions are to lopsided, You can't punish a team for having a higher payroll then other teams. So lets put six of the best teams in one division, and see How that works out. That will only cause more problems and will only cause more money being thrown around for them to out do the other teams in their division.

jamool26
12-28-2008, 02:14 PM
For the Thread maker, that is just a stupid Idea, First off, travel for the teams would be a mess and a pain. The teams are in a division for a reason, based on location, you can't have a division where teams are scattered everywhere.

If you haven't realized the Texas Rangers currently play in the AL West. Other than having the Cardinals play in the West there is no other team that would be playing ridiculously far from their division counterparts. So I don't see any difference in that regard.

Your Name Here
12-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Congrats.

You've come up with one of the worst ideas I've ever seen on this site, and that's really not easy to do.

vick27m
12-28-2008, 02:47 PM
the al east is impossible and then you have the rays being the only ones that could win there divison its a sucky idea sorry

todu82
12-28-2008, 06:42 PM
This is a horrible idea.

Muttman73
12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Bad...I'll take the salary cap

R. Johnson#3
12-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Just get the Jays out of the AL East.

drdirt
12-28-2008, 10:13 PM
so how often would the reailgnment take place. you know as payrolls change?:confused: