PDA

View Full Version : Hawes still trying to adjust to PF spot

RocketsRule
12-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Source: Sacbee (http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/018062.html)

SAN ANTONIO - It's a wonder I don't lose more things on the road.

To steal the recent phrase from Kenny Natt, it's a whirlwind existence, one in which it's tough to keep the hotel room numbers straight in your head and where there's not always time to triple-check under the bed for that stray sock. The point is that I lost my voice recorder after last night's Kings game at San Antonio in which Beno Udrih had a humbling homecoming.

If I hadn't, you would be reading revealing comments from the locker room scene after the latest loss: John Salmons saying Udrih needs to know his teammates still have his back despite his recent struggles, Natt - the Kings' interim coach - saying that Udrih's intensity and effort were there even if the execution was not, Natt adding that Udrih's career-high six steals were a silver lining that "exposed" (I remember that part) his ability to agitate his opponent and mean he could be doing it more often.

But I did manage to transcribe one particular quote before my digital turnover, a comment from Spencer Hawes regarding the Kings' impotent offense and how the issues go beyond one player. On the four-game trip, they averaged just 87 points and shot 41 percent (123 of 300) overall.

"We've got plenty of scorers," Hawes said when asked about how he perceives the problem. "The majority of the people on the team are offensive-minded guys. We've just got to figure out some cohesion, and play a little bit more unselfish."

Hawes, especially, continues to struggle from the power forward spot. And assuming holiday delays en route to Sacramento (through Vegas) don't keep me from making practice this afternoon, I'll be picking a few brains as to whether the decision to move him away from his natural center position back on Dec. 2 should be addressed again.

It seemed logical at the time as a way to get him in the lineup, but former coach Reggie Theus had often talked about how he liked the rotations better with Hawes coming off the bench and right now the numbers support his argument.

HAWES' PER-GAME PRODUCTION...

...IN 19 GAMES BEFORE HE TOOK MIKKI MOORE'S SPOT: 28.6 minutes, 12.4 points on 49.7 percent shooting overall (98 of 197) and 41 percent shooting from three-point range (16 of 39), 7.1 rebounds, two turnovers, 1.9 blocks.

...IN NINE GAMES AS A STARTER SINCE THE MOVE: 30.8 minutes, 9.8 points on 35 percent shooting (35 of 100) overall and 12.5 percent from three-point range (1 of 8), 7.8 rebounds per game, two turnovers, 1.4 blocks.

At the moment, I'm falling on the side of saying let Hawes be himself, which is to say get him outside more often again since he is one of the league's sweetest-shooting bigs. That fact contrasted with watching him die a slow death recently down low may call for an adjustment. Now a happy medium is certainly needed, as Hawes most certainly needs to get more proficient in the post and there are lessons to be learned by failing.

I'll stop there, as the answers from Hawes, the coaches etc. will matter far more than my take in a follow-up story.

Kyle N.
12-27-2008, 04:26 AM
It's his second year. We can cut him some slack.

sacgiants1213
12-27-2008, 04:30 AM
i think we should stick him at center and leave him there. he's brad miller's heir to that position and we might as well groom him into the best center he can possibly be.

playing him at PF only means one thing... more playing time. but as you can see he is only getting like 1 minute more as a starting PF. Jt is future PF, Hawes is future C.

that's how i see things.

Kings Faithful
12-27-2008, 04:40 AM
We need to get rid of Brad Millers ancient *** along with Beno for a real point guard and start Hawes at center...THERE YA GO! More playing time for the young ones and we improve as a team! Brad's done.

nygiants242
12-27-2008, 04:41 AM
How the hell are you going to get rid of Beno and his huge-*** contract.

sacgiants1213
12-27-2008, 04:45 AM
we're not...

we gave him 30 million dollars and we're gonna keep beno and his 'huge-***' contract until it runs out. not many teams are looking for turnover prone pg's.

just gotta live with that mistake and move on. it happens.

nygiants242
12-27-2008, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I don't even think Beno is that bad really.. they just overpaid and he turns the ball over too much.

sacgiants1213
12-27-2008, 05:20 AM
i've said this before and will say it again.... beno is not a starting point guard, he's a backup point guard who happens to start for this team and makes a lot of money. i still like him over brown because i think brown is better suited for the bench than beno.

Kyle916
12-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Beno is the definition of garbage.

Kings Faithful
12-27-2008, 06:38 AM
Beno is the definition of garbage.

Yep. Just looked it up in my dictionary. It even shows a picture of him missing K-Mart slashing to the hoop for an alley oop.

nygiants242
12-27-2008, 06:53 AM
hahahaha

hyphy king 88
12-27-2008, 07:08 AM
I think Beno is alright. A bit overpaid, but he did do a lot for us last year. He just needs to stop forcing it and work with what the defense gives him.

As for Spencer, I would rather have him come off the bench and start JT cause I think C is the best position for him to play and it seems like he plays better off the bench as well. When Miller is gone start him. Him and JT will be lethal in the years to come.

hyphy king 88
12-27-2008, 07:08 AM
Opps. Double posted my last post. Sorry.

Gerald's Realm
12-27-2008, 09:29 AM
i think we should stick him at center and leave him there. he's brad miller's heir to that position and we might as well groom him into the best center he can possibly be.

playing him at PF only means one thing... more playing time. but as you can see he is only getting like 1 minute more as a starting PF. Jt is future PF, Hawes is future C.

that's how i see things.

exactly

Agent008
12-27-2008, 09:04 PM
How the hell are you going to get rid of Beno and his huge-*** contract.

I think that it will be possible to trade Beno. During the off-season, several teams were reportedly offering Beno the same contract as we did. He's just had a bad start to the season. If he can play as well as he was playing at the end of last season, he can definitely be traded. If we pair him with Salmons (who has a very affordable contract), I think we can get a decent return.

Gerald's Realm
12-28-2008, 03:58 AM
Yeah, I don't even think Beno is that bad really.. they just overpaid and he turns the ball over too much.

thats because beno and salmons have insane contracts for their worth.. the only reason salmons is doing anything is because martin is injured and they dont have anyone else. The kings need to just lay low until 20010 anyways. Until then they wont make the playoffs anyways. They will be over 22 million under the cap...

Kyle N.
12-28-2008, 04:08 PM

He's not that bad. It's not his fault he's overpaid and yeah, he's having a bad streak with turning the ball over. Once he starts to get things under control, everybody will realize he's pretty decent.

DerekRE_3
12-28-2008, 04:14 PM
thats because beno and salmons have insane contracts for their worth.. the only reason salmons is doing anything is because martin is injured and they dont have anyone else. The kings need to just lay low until 20010 anyways. Until then they wont make the playoffs anyways. They will be over 22 million under the cap...

Salmons is a bargain. He's getting like 5.5 mil and putting up 20 ppg on 50% shooting. Yes Martin is out, but even if he's playing, do you want Martin taking every shot? If anything, having Martin playing would make it easier on Salmons. Right now, teams can double Salmons whenever they want, and go into the game knowing all they have to do is stop Salmons and we have no chance. Against the Hornets, Salmons had 26 points and 7 assists even though the Hornets doubled him on the perimeter almost every time he got the ball. Not to mention every time he drove to the basket, there was someone rotating over to stop his drive. Despite this, he shot over 50% and had 26 points. Another thing, Salmons is our best team defender and on ball defender.

Sactopat
12-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Salmons is a bargain. He's getting like 5.5 mil and putting up 20 ppg on 50% shooting. Yes Martin is out, but even if he's playing, do you want Martin taking every shot? If anything, having Martin playing would make it easier on Salmons. Right now, teams can double Salmons whenever they want, and go into the game knowing all they have to do is stop Salmons and we have no chance. Against the Hornets, Salmons had 26 points and 7 assists even though the Hornets doubled him on the perimeter almost every time he got the ball. Not to mention every time he drove to the basket, there was someone rotating over to stop his drive. Despite this, he shot over 50% and had 26 points. Another thing, Salmons is our best team defender and on ball defender.

Spot on DereRE - John Salmons is the only consistent player on this team right now - I can't believe we would want to trade him. Doesn't matter what he is paid - he shows up every game , unlike a few of the other players.......