PDA

View Full Version : Top Contenders for this year's NBA Championship

Lakersfan2483
12-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Based on what you all have seen thus far, which teams are "contenders" for this year's title? Why? Also, what teams are "pretenders?" (playoff teams)

fredv
12-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Ok I will give mine, some are self explanitory so I will not give info about them

Contenders(in no precise order)

Celtics - Big Three

Lakers - Kobe factor

Cavaliers - Lebron has been tremendous, and for the first time, the Cavaliers also..

Rockets - They are already a top team even though they have only played 1 game with there starting 5... They have the biggest margin of improvement, they are starting to gel now, we are soon going to be set on what we can expect from them. They are even looking to trade for a big man to get better. As always, health will be the key to there sucess.

Magic - They are definitely the team to watch in the upcoming weaks, they are real hot right now, the starting 5 are all playing well.

Spurs - No matter what, no one never wants to play them in the playoffs.

Pretenders(only teams who could burst and become a contender)(in no precise order)

Utah Jazz
New Orleans Hornets
Phoenix Suns
Denver Nuggets

dnnug
12-26-2008, 05:19 PM
I would add the nuggets to a contender, they have one the best records in the west.....

thephoenixson28
12-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I would consider phoenix once they are clicking on all cylinders they can't be beat.

Squad13
12-26-2008, 06:03 PM
i would consider phoenix once they are clicking on all cylinders they can't be beat.

lol

DrDEADalready
12-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Giving the fact that we havent evenplayed a game with all healthy players. once we become healthy. Jazz are up there as contenders as well

thephoenixson28
12-26-2008, 06:20 PM
lolwhat's wrong with that answer call me bias or whatever but when you have shaq and amare putting up 20+ points, and 10+ rebounds and nash having 18ppg and 12apg. With richardson,barbosa,barnes,hill all contributing and have lopez and another role player play with a higher level they are going to be tuff to beat. Put a team on paper and tell me who's better. Maybe the lakers and the rockets are by them but once the turnovers go down and the rebounds get better on the defense of glass mock my words phoenix is going to be the team to beat.

JordansBulls
12-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Boston, LA, Cleveland, Houston and San Antonio

madiaz3
12-26-2008, 06:41 PM
i agree, phx clicking on all cylinders is no laughing matter

give some time for jrich to fully reach his potential on that team and they'll be there down the line in the playoffs

in the meantime, the big three of LA, Boston, Cleveland remains the same for me.

NYMetros
12-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Orlando, Boston, LA, Cleveland, Houston, New Orleans, Portland, San Antonio, Denver

Squad13
12-26-2008, 06:55 PM
what's wrong with that answer call me bias or whatever but when you have shaq and amare putting up 20+ points, and 10+ rebounds and nash having 18ppg and 12apg. With richardson,barbosa,barnes,hill all contributing and have lopez and another role player play with a higher level they are going to be tuff to beat. Put a team on paper and tell me who's better. Maybe the lakers and the rockets are by them but once the turnovers go down and the rebounds get better on the defense of glass mock my words phoenix is going to be the team to beat.

You think Shaq and Amare will avg 20 and 10, while Nash getting 18 points and 12 assists a game? Face it the suns time came and past.

FlawlessKB24
12-26-2008, 06:59 PM
i really believe it's L.A., Boston, Cleveland. period.

D-Leethal
12-26-2008, 07:04 PM
I think were in the makings for a Kobe V Lebron finals

what54!?
12-26-2008, 07:11 PM
C's, lakers, cavs

JackB
12-26-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm a Piston fan and I think the top three or four teams in the league are
Boston
Boston
Boston
and maybe Boston
I see them coming close to matching or breaking the Bulls 72-10 record. Sure they lost to the Lakers. But the Pistons beat the lakers in LA. And they beat the Cavs.But the C's crushed the Stons twice. What does that prove ? That they will lose a few games.I can't see them losing 10-11 games. They only play the Lakers twice and the Cavs three times. They beat them once. So if they lose to the Cavs two more times. and the Lakers again. Thats still only 6 total losses. Who are the other four team to beat them? And thats IF they lose to those teams. The Cavs are a much improved team. But the Celtics are better then last year and I can see back to back to back championships. They are that good.
Being a Piston fan I never thought I would say any of this.

Squad13
12-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Boston
Boston
Boston
and maybe Boston
I see them coming close to matching or breaking the Bulls 72-10 record. Sure they lost to the Lakers. But the Pistons beat the lakers in LA. And they beat the Cavs.But the C's crushed the Stons twice. What does that prove ? That they will lose a few games.I can't see them losing 10-11 games. They only play the Lakers twice and the Cavs three times. They beat them once. So if they lose to the Cavs two more times. and the Lakers again. Thats still only 6 total losses. Who are the other four team to beat them? And thats IF they lose to those teams. The Cavs are a much improved team. But the Celtics are better then last year and I can see back to back to back championships. They are that good.

As a logical nba fan, I think you're an idiot.

JackB
12-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Thank you ! I guess being a Laker fan you just can't stand the truth. Your team is a good one but its just not good enough. I'm willing to bet that if your team had the same record the Celtics had and things were reversed you wouldn't be saying this. Its all good. I think I know what i'm talking about. And I know you will see it in June. Good luck the rest of the way. By the way. There are no rings for runner up. Loser!!!!

gauth25
12-26-2008, 08:08 PM
the suns are not a dominate team and them clicking on all cylinders is prety much never gonna happen. if you wanna play that card then if the lakers are clicking, then they are impossible to beat.

as for the contenders:

boston
cavs
lakers
san antonio
houston
maybe denver

pretenders:
magic
hornets
suns
mavs

Raidaz4Life
12-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Thank you ! I guess being a Laker fan you just can't stand the truth. Your team is a good one but its just not good enough. I'm willing to bet that if your team had the same record the Celtics had and things were reversed you wouldn't be saying this. Its all good. I think I know what i'm talking about. And I know you will see it in June. Good luck the rest of the way. By the way. There are no rings for runner up. Loser!!!!

actually no I'm a Lakers fan and even when we had the best record in the league I was still saying we were no match for the Celtics... but we are easily contenders.... no one man can match up with a motivated Kobe and I think Lebron can knock off the Celtics too

stevefrancis
12-26-2008, 08:41 PM
the hawks can knock off the celtics to. game seven last year and now only got better. pierce misses that shot theres no 19 game winning streak. yea lets go don't pass houstons 22 game winning streak, especially without yao ming for most of the games. do the celtics win the last 6 or so of their streak without kg? hell no they'll get blown out. nah but celtics are good don't get me wrong but when you beat up on east teams of course your gonna win 19 in a row. imagine kobe vsing the knicks bobcats bulls pacers etc every night.

what54!?
12-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm still not convinced on denver yet. They have a good record but I don't think they can come out of the west.

kvrnm
12-26-2008, 08:48 PM
1. boston
2. cleveland
in a 7 game series defense wins..... and these are the two best defensive teams... boston played BAAADD on christmas with a ton of unforced turnovers, that won happen if they faced la again, in 7 games gimme boston and cleveland over any western conference team.

JoGazz
12-26-2008, 09:19 PM
1. Boston - Strong defensively. Defense wins rings
2. LA - Got Boston. Now need to go on a streak like the C's
3. Cleveland - MVP Lebron
4. SA - Like every other year. Can't cut them out.
Watch out for
Houston, NO, Utah. Once they get over they're injuries they could contend.

Sox Appeal
12-26-2008, 10:16 PM
The Celtics are obviously the favorites to win the championship, barring some type of injury to one of their big 3. (Or Rondo)

The Lakers should also be considered one of the top favorites to win the Championship, and they should DEFIANTLY be considered the favorites to win the West. In their win over the Celtics yesterday, they could play "shut down defense" when needed, and that was the main thing that I believe separated them from the Celtics. And with the plethora of weapons they have on the offensive end of the floor (Kobe, Odom, Gasol, Bynum, etc) there's no reason they couldn't be the champions of the NBA at seasons end.

And then there's the Cavs. They're obviously improved over last seasons team that was able to take the Celtics to 7 games. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if they where able to beat the C's in the playoffs this season. The acquisition of Mo Williams gave the Cavs the #2 option that they've desperately needed, Delonte West seems more comfortable then he was last season, and Lebron has obviously improved himself as a player. His shooting (mainly 3PT) has improved, and he's went from a middle of the pack defender, to arguably the best defender in the league.

These 3 teams are head and shoulders better then any other team in the NBA right now.

Other potential contenders (IMO) are: Rockets, Hornets, Pistons, Spurs, Denver, and the Suns.

dodgerzfan44
12-26-2008, 10:19 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
:D The Clippers!!!! :D

JJ81
12-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Let's be realistic.

Lakers vs Celtics or Cavs.

JordansBulls
12-27-2008, 02:25 AM
Let's be realistic.

Lakers vs Celtics or Cavs.

Rockets as well and San Antonio.

Iron24th
12-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Lakers,Celtics,Hornets,Spurs and Cavs are the only contenders,no more teams.

Kohaku
12-27-2008, 05:31 AM
:D The Clippers!!!! :D

You sir, win the internets.

Joshtd1
12-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Celtics/Rockets/Cavs/Spurs/Hornets/Jazz(if fully healthy) IMO. Not sure about the Rockets yet

amare#1
12-27-2008, 05:51 AM
I'd say the top 3 contenders are Boston, Lakers and Cleveland.

RISE UP
12-27-2008, 06:30 AM
We all know the top teams: LA, Boston, San Antonio, Denver, Orlando, Cleveland...
But some up-n-coming teams to watch: Portland & Atlanta.
Few more years Memphis? 10th seed in the West right now with two hot rooks - Mayo, and (the other) Gasol. Rudy Gay is great.
Disappointments: Toronto, Clips,

nygiants242
12-27-2008, 06:32 AM
Lakers over all!!

madiaz3
12-27-2008, 01:01 PM

Don't talk to your fellow Piston fans that way. That is if you even are one.
Anyway your prediction is dumb because it eliminates losses from non-contenders that are bound to happen or have already happened: See Pacers without the Pacers best player, etc. Or a team like PHX who is capable of having a perfect game for one game.

ShaunRiching9
12-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Celtics, Lakers, Cavaliers, Magic, Hornets off teh top of my head

KB24PG16
12-27-2008, 02:04 PM
i would throw in orlando

td0tsfinest
12-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Boston, Cleveland and LA.

There are some teams that can make a run: Houston (if Injury Free), Suns(if they really get it going on), Spurs(b/c their the spurs), Orlando (b/c they are looking deadly right now)

JackB
12-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Don't talk to your fellow Piston fans that way. That is if you even are one.
Anyway your prediction is dumb because it eliminates losses from non-contenders that are bound to happen or have already happened: See Pacers without the Pacers best player, etc. Or a team like PHX who is capable of having a perfect game for one game.

I am a Piston fan and probably longer then anybody on this site. And I am a realist. This team isn't going nowhere this year. And if you think they have a pray of even advancing to the finals you are badly mistaken. This team isn't a top 5 ( east ) team. Honestly I am hoping they don't even make they playoffs. I'm also guessing Joe D is hoping the same thing.
Time to wake up and smell the coffee my fellow Piston fan. This teams time has come and gone. The rest of the league has gotten better and we ave gotten worse.
And I do think the Celtics will win it all again this year. I am a Boston hater but its hard to over look what this team can do . The lakers and Cavs are both excellent teams.And could win it all but in a seven game series with either the Celtics take it. We all have opinions. I haven't called anybodys opinion a wrong one or even off base. Why should mine be?

theuuord
12-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Barring injury, it will be Lakers Celtics again, and it will go seven games.

DCB/LAL
12-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Boston
Boston
Boston
and maybe Boston

Well dont you just feel dumb for saying something like this and then they go and lose to golden state?? If you dont feel dumb you should. Just come out of the closet and admitt your a celtic fan or trying to hop on the bandwaggon cause its obvious dude

Rockets Fanatic
12-27-2008, 04:38 PM
watch out for the Rockets, They havnt been healthy all year and TMAC is starting to play very well along wih Yao and Artest, they are finally full healthy and will be dangerous, but our best weapon is Aarn Brooks, heis the best backup PG in the NBA and can score whenever he wants, a second unit of Brooks, Artest, Landry, Deke and a healthy Barry and with there starting lineup, they can beat every team in the west including the lakers. You have got to still consider the Lakers the favorite in the West but watch out for the Rockets

Contenders:
1. Boston Celtics
2. LA Lakers
3. Cleveland Cavaliers
4. Houston Rockets
5. San Antonio Spurs

In Between Contender and Pretender:
1. Orlando Magic
2. New Orleans Hornets
3. Denver Nuggets
4. Utah Jazz
5. Phoenix Suns (its not the players fault its the coach, If Dantoni was coach theyd be a Top 5 team in the West)

Pretenders:
1. Portland Trailblazers
2. Atlanta Haeks
3. Detoit Pistons
4. Dallas Mavericks
5. Miami Heat

G-Funk
12-27-2008, 04:59 PM
West: Lakers, Spurs, Rockets

East: Cavs, Celtics, Magic

JackB
12-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Well dont you just feel dumb for saying something like this and then they go and lose to golden state?? If you dont feel dumb you should. Just come out of the closet and admitt your a celtic fan or trying to hop on the bandwaggon cause its obvious dude

Wrong man wrong. I hate the Celtics. I live in Vermont and I watch their games . I hate the fact that they have turned that francise around and have become a monster. I hate the Red Sox too.
As I said before . I am a realist. The Celtics are the best team in the game. And of course they are going to lose games. Duh. I just think they still have a great shot at besting the Bulls record. Sure they lose to GS. It happens. If they don't over take the Bulls no big deal.But they still only have 4 losses. They'll win the divison going away even if they lose12-15 games. Its all about winning the whole thing anyway. Winning the East is a given.

marques724
12-27-2008, 05:25 PM
West: Lakers, Spurs, Rockets

East: Cavs, Celtics, Magic

That is the list. I see a Lakers/Cavs NBA Finals

Zefflin
12-27-2008, 05:36 PM
1. BOS

2. LAL

3. Cavs

4. Spurs

5. Magic

MAC10TIZZY
12-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Lakers,Celtics,Hornets,Spurs and Cavs are the only contenders,no more teams.

obviously this guy didn't see that magic and hornets game on Christmas!!!!
i think if any of you claim to be knowledgable nba fans you would be very mad
at yourselves for not putting the magic (high)upon this list....go magic...+

EddieB
12-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Lakers
Celtics
Spurs
Cavs
Rockets
Jazz

pebloemer
12-27-2008, 08:00 PM

I noticed the Magic have not been getting much respect either. Why is that I wonder?

Morgan
12-27-2008, 08:07 PM
Boston
Boston
Boston
and maybe Boston

Yeah they're going to add a big man like Mutomo or Alonzo Mourning to sure up that bench. Even without Posey they're still a better team because Ray Allen is comfortable and he's been shooting lights out all year and, that was far from the case last year and, Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins have improved dramatically this year. If they have homecourt through the Eastern Conference they will definitively win another title. I don't know about back to back to back but definitively one more. They do need another big man though because Leon Powe and Glen Davis are both good but, they're both undersized to be playing PF nevermind C. From what I've been hearing they will probably sign Mutomo and, his defensive presence on that 2nd unit will make all the difference in the world.

Morgan
12-27-2008, 08:08 PM

Why because of 1 game? Any knowledgeable NBA fan knows 1 game doesn't mean ****.

Lakersho
12-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Boston
Boston
Boston
and maybe Boston
i guess you wrote this before c s lost to gs ,c s have old legs no bench. flaws startin to show,watch and see.

da wood
12-27-2008, 08:44 PM
i guess that game against gs showed how how they were playing at a high level because they completely ran out of gas in the 3rd quarter of that game on friday

CHRISDODGERS
12-27-2008, 08:45 PM
West: (Most likely to get to the championship)
1) Lakers
2) Hornets
3) Spurs
4) Rockets
5) Jazz

East:
1) Celtics
2) Cavs
3) Magic
4) Hawks... yea.

dnnug
12-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Lets face it the Jazz are not that great of a team this season,sure they have injuries but thats no excuse. I believe its going to be the Nuggets that will win the NW division and the Jazz will be left watching games at home.

Every team has injuries, its how you deal with them that shows what type of team they have. And from all signs the Jazz are going to fall short.

1) Lakers
2)Nuggets
3) Spurs
4) Rockets
5) suns

East:
1) Celtics
2) Cavs
3) Magic
4) Pistons

J-Relo
12-28-2008, 04:34 PM
watch out for the Rockets, They havnt been healthy all year and TMAC is starting to play very well along wih Yao and Artest, they are finally full healthy and will be dangerous, but our best weapon is Aarn Brooks, heis the best backup PG in the NBA and can score whenever he wants, a second unit of Brooks, Artest, Landry, Deke and a healthy Barry and with there starting lineup, they can beat every team in the west including the lakers. You have got to still consider the Lakers the favorite in the West but watch out for the Rockets

Contenders:
1. Boston Celtics
2. LA Lakers
3. Cleveland Cavaliers
4. Houston Rockets
5. San Antonio Spurs

In Between Contender and Pretender:
1. Orlando Magic
2. New Orleans Hornets
3. Denver Nuggets
4. Utah Jazz
5. Phoenix Suns (its not the players fault its the coach, If Dantoni was coach theyd be a Top 5 team in the West)

Pretenders:
1. Portland Trailblazers
2. Atlanta Haeks
3. Detoit Pistons
4. Dallas Mavericks
5. Miami Heat

almost agree ;)

JOSETHEALLSTAR
12-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Boston, LA, Cleveland, Houston

barreleffact
12-28-2008, 06:15 PM
at this point, the only real contenders are san antonio, boston, los angelas, and maybe cleveland. everyone else is a pretender

SUNDUNDIDIT
12-28-2008, 06:19 PM
CONTENDERS:
Lakers
Boston
Spurs
Cleveland

BORDERLINE:
Nuggets
Hornets
Hawks
Magic
Rockets
Suns

And then Blazers,Mavs,Jazz, and other teams are still tryin to discover or rediscover themselves.....I wont call anybody pretenders.

kingjanjic
12-28-2008, 06:19 PM
i really believe it's L.A., Boston, Cleveland. period.

fo real what r u people talking about?

its so straight up this year tat i cant believe people r naming all these teams, any money goes the finals will be

LAKERS VS BOSTON, its clear, they r the two best teams, cavs cant beat boston come on man, what basketball r u guys watching, cavs probilly wont even get past altanta or magic if they meet in the playoffs

n no one in the west can match the lakers, so the west is set, that the lakers will probilly go perfect through out the west finals to meet Boston in the finals,

La and Boston r the only contenders in the league PERIOD,

barreleffact
12-28-2008, 06:47 PM
fo real what r u people talking about?

its so straight up this year tat i cant believe people r naming all these teams, any money goes the finals will be

LAKERS VS BOSTON, its clear, they r the two best teams, cavs cant beat boston come on man, what basketball r u guys watching, cavs probilly wont even get past altanta or magic if they meet in the playoffs

n no one in the west can match the lakers, so the west is set, that the lakers will probilly go perfect through out the west finals to meet Boston in the finals,

La and Boston r the only contenders in the league PERIOD,

the west isnt that easy. san antonio gets so little respect but they are proven, tested, and always best in the 2nd 1/2 of the year. if anybody can take LA out in the west, its them or HOU....but thats a HUGE if in houston. I believe LA will beat san antonio, but it wont be as easy as you make it sound. as far as the east. the magic do get too little respect but im with you that boston is the clear favorite. however, you have to give teh cavs som credit. their offense is a lot better this year and they can rebound and play defense with anybody. this lebron DPOY stuff is more outlandish than anything ive heard but the cavs have good team D. anyway, it goes like this:

LA can beat anyone, but in the finals, they will be pressed to beat the cavs or the celts. either COULD beat LA

If san antonio beats LA, they win. We've seen them shut down lebron b4 and they can easily do it again. And Botson can match SA either. not coaching wise, not in execution IMO, not really in any way. their starting line up may be better but greg pop is proven to be a great coach at everything, esp developing a bench. SA would trump boston in 6 IMO

barreleffact
12-28-2008, 06:49 PM
CONTENDERS:
Lakers
Boston
Spurs
Cleveland

BORDERLINE:
Hornets
Magic
Rockets
Suns

And then Nuggets, Hawks, Blazers,Mavs,Jazz, and other teams are still tryin to discover or rediscover themselves.....I wont call anybody pretenders.

edited yours but besides teh 2 i changed, i agree 100%