PDA

View Full Version : PG. The Overated Position in the draft.

Kyben36
12-26-2008, 01:25 AM
IDK guys, I love Derrick Rose but Look at this guys. There are so many Good-Great PGs comming out in the past 2 and next 2 years. Look at all these Names

Brandon Jennings
John Wall
Derrick Rose
Mike Conley
Ricky Rubio
Jrue Holiday
Stephen Curry
Russell Westbrook
Jerryd Bayless
Erik Gordon - Combo Guard
OJ Mayo - Combo Guard
DJ Augustin
Acie Law- this Kid can play

All of these players are realy Good and can be considered top PG prospects. Is the PG position overated at the New positon of dominace. I mean, yes a player Like Paul and Nash make teamates better but there realy arnt that many of those player even in the History of the game. What Makes us think this is Now sudenly only a PG characteristic. I still say a player like Shaq Dominates in this League. Not the Shaq Now but the old shaq. What do you guys think. Plus, Jordon, the all Known best player in the League was a SG. so what makes anyone think PG is the way to go.

I love thinking Rose is the Best but IDK. He was obviously a good pick but is PG the way to go now adays.

what54!?
12-26-2008, 01:45 AM
thats because there aren't a lot of good young big dominant men nowdays like a shaq, tim duncan, KG, etc. Its easier to draft good guards now than to draft a young good big man so teams are basing their offense around their guards.

blacknell
12-26-2008, 01:51 AM
NBA players aren't as good as they were back in the day

jgonboricua
12-26-2008, 01:58 AM
i was thinking the same thing but DRose will be better then all those guys mentioned above...Oj mayo is the only one imo that will be at the same level

hotpotato1092
12-26-2008, 02:44 AM
It's tough, point guards are definitely more self sufficient, bigs need passers to get them the ball. The point guard does so much that if you have an elite one it just makes the whole team that much better, but at the same time dominant big men are so hard to come by that when you have one you keep him and build around him. I'd feel more confident going into a season with a prime Shaq than a prime any point guard not named Magic Johnson. And Magic is a complete anomoly, he was really a power forward running the offense, he was after all 6-8ish. They're too different to compare, I'd love having Chris Paul or Dwight Howard.

CaptainCool79
12-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Well i think PG is a position that fits teams better. If you're a team with a decent big man and an established scorer i.e. Philly, you would want a true PG to run that offense. and if you're starting from scratch, PG is a good position to build the team around.

Ansy
12-26-2008, 03:03 AM
These days there are a lot of great point guard prospects so a lot of point guards are being drafted high.

It's not like teams are drafting point guards over better prospects at other positions.

JJ81
12-27-2008, 01:31 AM
I cant wait for Ricky Rubio.

FOBolous
12-27-2008, 01:46 AM
The point guard position is the position that's most talked about lately because...well...PGs are the only quality players that's coming into the league right now. There's not really any quality bigs with potential coming in (with the exception of Beasley and he hasn't really been amazing so far) and there hasn't really been any good quality SFs or SGs coming in either. The good few SGs and SFs that came in the league lately haven't been able to carry their teams to wins..not Mayo, not Durant, not Gay, not Gordon, not Fernendez, not Deng...nobody.

Chicagofaithful
12-27-2008, 02:12 AM
yeah its because all of the bigs come out after their first year in college and are REALLY underdeveloped, their post moves are lackluster or nonexistent and they have "potential." For instance... there is no reason Deandre Jordan couldn't be a GREAT big.. but now he's competing for playing time as opposed to having a very personal college coach side by side with him idk i know he has nba coaches trying their hardest... but he just needs playing time to learn the natural stuff about the game and how he in his huge body fits into the team... and when hes only 19 coming into the nba... he has no idea... whereas the pg position is supposed to put assists on the board... period... just my two cents

JordansBulls
12-27-2008, 02:15 AM
IDK guys, I love Derrick Rose but Look at this guys. There are so many Good-Great PGs comming out in the past 2 and next 2 years. Look at all these Names

Brandon Jennings
John Wall
Derrick Rose
Mike Conley
Ricky Rubio
Jrue Holiday
Stephen Curry
Russell Westbrook
Jerryd Bayless
Erik Gordon - Combo Guard
OJ Mayo - Combo Guard
DJ Augustin
Acie Law- this Kid can play

All of these players are realy Good and can be considered top PG prospects. Is the PG position overated at the New positon of dominace. I mean, yes a player Like Paul and Nash make teamates better but there realy arnt that many of those player even in the History of the game. What Makes us think this is Now sudenly only a PG characteristic. I still say a player like Shaq Dominates in this League. Not the Shaq Now but the old shaq. What do you guys think. Plus, Jordon, the all Known best player in the League was a SG. so what makes anyone think PG is the way to go.

I love thinking Rose is the Best but IDK. He was obviously a good pick but is PG the way to go now adays.

:pity:

MiamiHeat
12-27-2008, 12:37 PM
:pity:

:laugh2:
:clap:

$KnicksAndKobe$
12-27-2008, 03:45 PM
:laugh2:
:clap:

:confused::confused::confused:

theuuord
12-27-2008, 03:49 PM
NBA players aren't as good as they were back in the day

oh God.

zambo4president
12-27-2008, 04:52 PM
:confused::confused::confused:

He spelled Jordan wrong.

zambo4president
12-27-2008, 04:54 PM
i was thinking the same thing but DRose will be better then all those guys mentioned above...Oj mayo is the only one imo that will be at the same level

I don`t see how Mayo and Rose could be on the same level, seeing as how they are to entirely different players. Rose is an all around play-making fast point guard and Mayo is a scoring juggernaught.

Westbrook36
12-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Thats why Hasheem Thabeet will probally be the First Pick in this draft.

Personally D-Rose is on another level then all the other, They will be good playes like Ricky will be alot like Jose Claderon probally and John Wall a good 14/10 PG or something but D-Rose will be on that Chris Paul level.

Bring The Heat
12-27-2008, 05:39 PM
I rather build my team around a SG superstar like Kobe or Wade....great SGs are the ones that can really take over and close out a game....the ones that can create and make plays... You saw Jordan do it for the bulls and you saw Wade do it for the Heat in 2006..and Kobe for the Lakers alongside Shaq

FOBolous
12-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I rather build my team around a SG superstar like Kobe or Wade....great SGs are the ones that can really take over and close out a game....the ones that can create and make plays... You saw Jordan do it for the bulls and you saw Wade do it for the Heat in 2006..and Kobe for the Lakers alongside Shaq

yea but notice the common demoniator between Kobe and Wade. and plus...with the exception of Jordan's bulls, all the other championships were won by teams with dominant bigs. from Kareem to Olajuwon to David Robinson to Duncan to Shaq...ect ect ect

NYMetros
12-27-2008, 10:13 PM

SG's are no good unless you have a big man with you.